Arizona: "buyback" guns must be resold to public -

PDA

Texan Scott
April 30, 2013, 01:31 AM
http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/article/Ariz-bill-requiring-resale-of-buyback-guns-signed-4473964.php

Governor Jan Brewer signed it into law!

The governor's office said it received nearly 2,000 letters, emails or phone calls about the bill, with only 25 opposed.

This ^^^^ is significant! Good for y'all, Arizonans!

One of the letters in support was from the National Rifle Association, which argued that selling seized or forfeited guns "would maintain their value, and their sale to the public would help recover public funds." … "However, this measure would ensure that taxpayer resources are not utilized to pursue a political agenda of destroying firearms,"

If you enjoyed reading about "Arizona: "buyback" guns must be resold to public -" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheSaint
April 30, 2013, 01:33 AM
Hooray! No more destruction of perfectly good property and pouting the environment without a just cause. I'd imagine that a lot of these firearms aren't in the best of shape, but if they are a starter or project gun for someone, all the better, I say. Arizona is one of the most pro-freedom states out there. Congrats to the sane citizens of the southwest. :)

Twiki357
April 30, 2013, 03:34 AM
I'm not sure when it goes into effect, but I wonder what, if any, impact it will have on the gun buybacks scheduled for May in Phoenix.

The down side is that the sales are in bulk to FFL retailers, not directly to the general public. I would much rather they be sold through public auction with an FFL handling the transfer.

Billy Shears
April 30, 2013, 09:16 AM
I wish we would get such a law passed in my state. My city hasn't done one of these asinine "buybacks" in years, but we did a few around the time I came on the police department years 13 years ago. Police had to provide security at those, and what was there to be seen was heartbreaking -- nice old guns, antiques, war relics, etc. turned in to get chopped up. These weren't, with vanishingly rare exceptions, the guns that thugs were using out on the streets, they were either old broken relics that didn't even work anymore (and weren't even worth the $50 the city was paying), or they were things that had been sitting around in dresser drawers for years -- guns whose owners were dead, and whose widows didn't like guns and just wanted to be rid of it; or turned in by inheriting children who didn't like them and just wanted to be rid of them, and so forth.

During the first buyback, before I came on, some of the officers who were shooters themselves, came out on their own time, and looked at what was brought in, and paid $75 to the owners to get some of the guns they wanted. Some of them got screaming good deals in the process. Unfortunately, the chief we had at the time, an anti-gun liberal from Washington DC, forbade officers from doing that again, so their was no one to save the nicer guns in the subsequent buybacks. And some of those guns were very, very valuable. During the last buyback, I **** you not, one old lady brought in a pair of cased percussion muzzle-loaders. Real antiques, not modern repros. One officer urged her to go sell them at auction somewhere, not just to spare them from needless destruction, but to get a lot of money, rather than just the $50 bucks each the city was paying. She didn't want to bother with all that; she just wanted to be rid of them.

bannockburn
April 30, 2013, 01:22 PM
Good for the citizens of Arizona. At least these guns, which would have otherwise been destroyed, will get a second chance at being owned and enjoyed by collectors and gun enthusiasts.

If you enjoyed reading about "Arizona: "buyback" guns must be resold to public -" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!