Wanting To Get Into IDPA

PDA

lpsharp88
April 30, 2013, 04:59 PM
Hello all,
I've recently developed an interest in IDPA matches. I have watched quite a few YouTube videos of matches and videos explaining rules, have also downloaded and read the IDPA rulebook. My questions concern finding local matches and gear that would be needed. The way I understand the rules are that the pistols have to be pretty much stock, holsters must be a viable CCW holster, and a cover garment must be used (there's of course more, but those are the basics as I understand them). I have been searching online for IDPA matches in my area (Morehead KY) but haven't had any luck. Are there any websites that list matches? I looked on the IDPA site, but I don't know the name of any local clubs to search by.

As for equipment, I have a Glock 26 Gen 4 (all stock), 3 mags, a White Hat IWB holster, a Raven Concealment Phantom holster configured for OWB, and a RCS single mag pouch also configured for OWB. Beretta 92/M9, 2 mags, a RCS single mag pouch, but no holster. A Springfield GI Model 1911 with 5 mags and no pouches/holsters. The 1911 has had some aftermarket parts put in, so I'm not sure if it would work in IDPA or not.

Would it be best to just compete with the G26? I'd prefer to use something bigger that has a longer sight radius, but it is the only one that I am close to having the right gear to start with.

Also, is it considered ok to just show up to a match and observe? I would like to actually witness a match first hand and possibly pick some peoples' brains to just see how it is.

Any and all advice/suggestions are more than welcome. I apologize for the long post!

If you enjoyed reading about "Wanting To Get Into IDPA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
April 30, 2013, 05:12 PM
If you look again at the IDPA web site you can see all the clubs in your state that host matches. Look at the club addresses to see which might be close to you.

http://www.idpa.com/compete/clubsearch?search=lexington,%20ky Looks like there's a club in Pikeville that's a bit less than 2 hours from you. One in Verona that's a bit over 2 hours.

Any of the guns could work just fine. The 1911 will be ok as it plays in what's considered a "Custom" class anyway. I have a pal who does real well (just made Master) shooting a Beretta 92, so that would be a fine choice if you pick up an extra few mags.

Sure you can come watch (maybe call the Match Director first to introduce yourself) but you might as well shoot! :)

9mmepiphany
April 30, 2013, 05:24 PM
I don't know any clubs that wouldn't let you watch first...they are pretty friendly...but it is just as easy to shoot one. Make sure you contact the Match Director when you get there is sign any needed release of liability and notified of any safety concerns. Most clubs offer or mandate that new shooters attend an Orientation Class before shooting a match. This is a good way to get familiar with the rules, range commands and expectations...safety is paramount.

I'd personally shoot your Beretta or Springfield, but you'd have to buy more gear first...in any case, you are going to need more magazines (minimum of 3) or mag carriers (you'll need a double or 2 singles). Unless you have some really unusual modifications on your 1911, it will fit into CDP or ESP.

I've seen folks shoot in IDPA with their G26, Kahr CW9 and Springfield EMP, so a compact isn't out of the question...just get another mag carrier for your G26

lpsharp88
April 30, 2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks! I've read that many clubs to BUG matches and that the G26 would work for that, but I figured it would be undersized for a regular match. My only reservation with the Beretta was the DA/SA trigger, but practice will take care of that I guess.

btg3
April 30, 2013, 07:38 PM
I shot my first year of IDPA with an M&Pc before getting a full size.

Find a local club match and go prepared to participate rather than just observe. Identify yourself as a first timer and ask to shoot last for each stage -- that way you get to first observe and then take a turn at what you just saw several other shooters attempt. (You do enjoying shooting, right? ;))

lpsharp88
April 30, 2013, 07:58 PM
I definitely do enjoy shooting, when ammo can be had! Participating would be great, I just wasn't sure how to approach it. I don't want to overstep my bounds

9mmepiphany
April 30, 2013, 08:00 PM
In DA/SA, I competed with both a Beretta and a SIG (both a 226 and a 220)

The first SSP (Stock Service Pistol;production) to win a IDPA National Championship was a Beretta 92; the second was a SIG 220. It really is about the shooter, not the platform

GCBurner
April 30, 2013, 10:49 PM
I shoot a Glock 26 in most of the matches, both as a Stock Service Pistol and as a B.U.G., and it works fine. It's also my primary carry pistol. The only mod I've done is to get a +1 floorplate for the magazines, so I can load 10 +1 to start without having to use a 1-round "Barney" magazine.

Marc257
April 30, 2013, 10:56 PM
I know it would be a little of a drive, but Bluegrass Sportsman's League (BGSL) in Wilmore (just outside of Nicolasville) has probably the largest monthly match in the state. You also have Silvercreek in Sellersburg IN just across the bridge from Louisville. Adair County Sportsmans Club is another option. I drive a little over 2 hours to shoot matches at BGSL most months.

pittspilot
May 4, 2013, 01:34 PM
Looks like you have done quite a bit of homework.

Find a close match, call the match director, and be sure to show up for any orientation. Bring one of the guns (I would suggest the 1911) 3-4 magazines, two magazine holders, a decent belt and a holster which it sounds like you already have.

When you show up, tell folks that you are new and you will find a group of folks just itching to help out the newcomer. Every regular match I have been too has always been been very open and helpful to new shooters, with many assigning a buddy. You will not have to shoot a stage first and you will get to watch a bunch of folks go before you. When it is your time to go, make sure the the guy running the stage knows you are new. He likely will anyway.

You will have seen some folks who have humbling skills. Don't even try it :) You just need to go as slow as you feel comfortable shooting the stage correctly and safely. It doesn't matter in your head how slow that feels. If you have any questions, ask. No one will rush you and no one will mock you. That comes later after you have made some close friends at matches you shoot.

In short, just go. Matches live for new shooters. You will have a great time.

lpsharp88
May 6, 2013, 03:04 PM
I guess I'll make the drive to Pikeville once I am able to get the additional gear needed for the competition. How much ammo should I expect to burn? IIRC when I was reading about it a typical match is around 100 rounds, but not too sure.

Sam1911
May 6, 2013, 03:20 PM
Bring 150 unless your local MD is really heavy on the round count. 100 really probably will do it, but stuff happens and it stinks to not get to finish because your ammo ran out!

lpsharp88
May 6, 2013, 03:24 PM
Sounds like solid advice sir. Better to have too much than not enough. Hopefully this ammo situation improves soon so practice can happen on a more regular basis

btg3
May 6, 2013, 08:09 PM
Some IDPA matches are making an effort to keep folks happy by:
1. Designing stages to keep round counts down
2. Selling ammo at the match (limited to enough rds to shoot the match)

Of course, a main objective is to maintain the revenue from match fees. Gotta keep the shooters coming!

Skulptor
May 6, 2013, 08:54 PM
Hey LP,
I am the Match Director for IDPA at Coonhunters Club here is Batesville IN. About 45 mins. or so from you. We shoot the third Sunday of every month. Registration ends at 9:30 AM. There is also a Match the second Sunday of the month in Oxford, OH. That may even be closer for you.
Both ranges keep round counts to 80-100 rounds. Never more.
You received some good info here so I won't reiterate. PM me if you have any other specific questions. You are more than welcome to come and watch but, you may regret not bringing your gear and just jumping in. I have great S.O.'s and we are ALL, shooters and staff alike, willing to help anybody. I do believe EVERY person I have ever told to come thinks they need to see one first. :rolleyes: You really don't. Just come and sign up. I think you will enjoy yourself.
Chaz

lpsharp88
May 7, 2013, 12:13 AM
Thanks a lot for all of the help! You all have provided some excellent information

Tim the student
May 7, 2013, 03:59 AM
Go and shoot, don't watch.

waktasz
May 9, 2013, 01:23 AM
Don't do it. The sport is heading downhill.

Thetaii
May 9, 2013, 02:51 AM
Yeah Wak? What makes you say that? I just got a S&W SSR 686 that I was considering using in a IDPA or IPSC event.

Sam1911
May 9, 2013, 07:08 AM
Lol! ;)

waktasz
May 9, 2013, 10:40 AM
Yeah Wak? What makes you say that? I just got a S&W SSR 686 that I was considering using in a IDPA or IPSC event.
The new rulebook draft was released this week and it has sucked even more fun out of the game and created even more ambiguity.

breakingcontact
May 9, 2013, 10:54 AM
I'm relatively new to idpa. I enjoy it a lot. As far as your first time. Just go slowly and focus on safety.

Sam1911
May 9, 2013, 11:08 AM
Rules are always fussy, bothersome things, but we're a ways yet from having all the kinks hammered out of the official revision.

What ever you do, do NOT get overly concerned (as a new shooter, especially) with worrying about rules details. Go, have a good time, be safe.

Off in the future, when you're a serious gamer and have strong opinions about how the game should be run, then you can cuss the rules committee.

Arkansas Paul
May 9, 2013, 12:12 PM
^ That sounds like sound advice from Sam.

Sam1911
May 9, 2013, 12:22 PM
Take it from a Match Director, the rules are there to give ME headaches, not you! :D

Besides, I've known the co-heads of the "Tiger Team" working on the revisions (Bubba and Kitty) for years, and shoot with one regularly and the other as often as he can get up here from TX. If anyone has the mindset to streamline and fun-ify the rules, they do!

btg3
May 9, 2013, 12:55 PM
If you are a type-A and shoot IDPA as a competitive gamer then the rules are a significant part of playing that game. If you shoot IDPA to improve your own shooting, then you can enjoy watching the gamers stress out and focus on the reason you're there.

breakingcontact
May 9, 2013, 01:02 PM
The game vs tactics debate in IDPA is one of the few debates I enjoy on gun forums. It is a game, but you can learn some good tactics from it.

Arkansas Paul
May 9, 2013, 01:05 PM
I want to get involved as well. I am very competitive and honing your shooting skills at the same time is never a bad thing. My club does it, so I've just got to go do it.

breakingcontact
May 9, 2013, 01:07 PM
Definitely just need to go do it. Its intimidating when you see the good guys run through a stage making good hits. But they had a "first match" too.

Sam1911
May 9, 2013, 01:09 PM
I'm not even sure the benefits have to be debated at the level of "tactics," even.

When you're used to shooting almost entirely with people who's routine shooting practices involve working from a holster, shooting while moving, observing 180deg. and muzzle-safe rules on a dynamic range, engaging multiple targets, reloading on the clock, and all that other stuff -- even the lesser accomplished "practical" pistol competitors are in a totally different class from those who are used to "square-range" shooting and bullseye type targets.

You can instantly tell the difference just by watching how they handle a gun.

cowtownup
May 9, 2013, 01:12 PM
Can you shoot reloads at these matches or do they require factory ammo??

Sam1911
May 9, 2013, 01:15 PM
You'll see 80%+ reloaded ammo. Few folks can afford this quantity of shooting on a factory ammo budget!

Arkansas Paul
May 9, 2013, 01:22 PM
Do you have to have to use a specific bullet type? I have mostly lead that I cast. Is that acceptable?

Sam1911
May 9, 2013, 01:24 PM
There are (very occasionally) specific ranges with rules which prohibit this or that kind of bullet, so you'd have to check to be 100% sure, but cast lead is perfectly acceptable in 99% of matches. (It's all I use.)

cowtownup
May 9, 2013, 01:41 PM
Approximately how many rounds would a beginner look at shooting at his/her first match?

Sam1911
May 9, 2013, 01:44 PM
Well that's a "loaded" question! :D

Most IDPA club matches run right around 100 rds or a bit less. Bring 150 in case you have to re-run a stage or two.

Bovice
May 9, 2013, 01:49 PM
Give it a try, just steer clear of the whiners and don't become one either!

Thetaii
May 9, 2013, 02:36 PM
Sounds good. I'm planning to go watch a match at the Prado range in Chino, CA on 5/18, after which I will give an event a try. I've always been one of those people that just enjoys the shooting so I don't foresee any issues with rules.

btg3
May 9, 2013, 08:07 PM
Well, you could watch it on youtube.
Or watch several shooters take a turn before yours.

Hope you don't regret not going prepared to shoot!

lpsharp88
May 9, 2013, 08:19 PM
Well, you could watch it on youtube.
Or watch several shooters take a turn before yours.

Hope you don't regret not going prepared to shoot!
That's exactly what I did before I even made the original post. I still watch a couple each day. It is pretty interesting the types of scenarios that they come up with, and how good some of the people are.

Jim Watson
May 9, 2013, 09:01 PM
It is also amazing how bad some of the people are.

Which should be a lesson.
All that is really required besides the equipment is the ability to follow instructions as to safety and Course of Fire execution.

justice06rr
May 10, 2013, 01:03 AM
To the OP, go give it a try. Its a lot of fun.

Don't worry so much about speed and scoring at your first few matches. Focus on technique and safety. Get good gear (both IWB and OWB holsters), plenty of mags, and ammo.

Another advice: practice your reloads, malfunction drills, and shooting with both left/right hand. This will help you a lot during the actual matches.

Good luck!

btg3
May 10, 2013, 07:25 AM
Another advice: practice... malfunction drills.... This will help you a lot during the actual matches.
If you don't shoot a 1911, malfunction drills won't help all that much. ;) (serioulsy!)

Sam1911
May 10, 2013, 07:45 AM
If you don't shoot a 1911, malfunction drills won't help all that much. ;) (serioulsy!)LOL! :D

Or an M&P. Or a Glock.

But those "roundy-round" guns don't really malfunction in competition ... much! :)

jmorris
May 10, 2013, 09:59 AM
Besides, I've known the co-heads of the "Tiger Team" working on the revisions (Bubba and Kitty) for years

Can you ask them what the point was in requiring all reloads behind cover be made flat footed? Seems to me that you could have accomplished the same goad without a new rule, just use a 2' wide barricade and make it so any movement exposed the shooter to a new target.

With the rules as they are written now, a section of wall is useless for anything except aesthetics, as even though you are behind cover you have to stand still to reload.

I think they made some good changes but the one above is not one of them.

Sam1911
May 10, 2013, 10:43 AM
Honestly, I've not had a moment to read the new proposed rules yet, and I've tried to be respectful and not buttonhole friends about what the various committees are doing or changes I don't like (yet), but I imagine some things (like that, hopefully) will be adjusted before the final version goes to press.

As it is, make your comments through the appropriate channels and let's see if we can't help weed out errors.

tarakian
May 10, 2013, 11:53 AM
As a new Match Director, I guess I'll chime in. IDPA is dying? Hardly, the number of attendees in this area is actually higher than last year, and that's with the ammo shortage and new laws in our state. I'm with Sam as far as not having had time to go through the new proposed rules yet. I will likely do a first read this weekend, then read them again next week and make my comments through the appropriate channels. For the record, I also shoot USPSA and 3-gun matches on a regular basis. They all have their own rules and I do my best to follow them. Do I still screw up occasionally? You bet, but that's on me. The rules are there to learn and everyone has to follow the same ones.

For the new shooters, watching sucks. Read the basic rules, get your gear together and show up to shoot. If your area is anything like mine, you will be welcomed with open arms and all the friendly advice you could want. As long as your safe, that's the only thing that matters. I have only been shooting for a couple of years, so I remember my first time very well. I went with a friend, using his revolver, a couple of speed loaders and a bunch of spare rounds in my pocket. I was horrible, and I don't mean kinda bad. I took forever on the courses of fire and may have set records for worst score ever. So many people stepped up to help me out, people I had never met before, with not a discouraging word from anywhere. I had a blast and kept going, last year I think I shot around 40 matches and can honestly say I enjoyed all but one, and that was due to a single PITA individual. If you can't have fun shooting guns with a bunch of like minded people, you may be the problem. Now I have made the step to MD, so I guess the fun is all over for me:rolleyes:.

9mmepiphany
May 10, 2013, 01:30 PM
Can you ask them what the point was in requiring all reloads behind cover be made flat footed?

I think they made some good changes but the one above is not one of them.
We've been discussing this locally and our thought was that it takes the subjectiveness out of the call by an SO.

I've shot more than one match were there was disagreement over where one can reload on the move. My take is, once you've cleared an area of threats, you can leave cover and reload on the move. The disagreement usually centers around what is meant by cleared. This rule change avoids all these disagreements.

At least it doesn't take away your ability to leave cover while still holding your mag during a Tactical Reload. But it does affect the balance in speed between a Reload with Retention and a Tactical one.

I'm interested is seeing if there is a shift of power from moving the Springfield XD/XDm to SSP. Also what effect the classifier time changes will be.

Sam1911
May 10, 2013, 03:00 PM
I'm interested is seeing if there is a shift of power from moving the Springfield XD/XDm to SSP. Also what effect the classifier time changes will be.THAT MADE IT IN? Oh, I'm going to owe someone BIG TIME for the deal I made at the crossroads at midnight to get that through! :D

(Hope that thing I had to trade for it isn't worth more than my 3rd grade teacher used to tell me it was!)

9mmepiphany
May 10, 2013, 04:36 PM
I think the selfless act of toiling as a moderator cuts through the haze of brimstone fumes to rebalance the scales

jmorris
May 10, 2013, 05:50 PM
We've been discussing this locally and our thought was that it takes the subjectiveness out of the call by an SO.

Seems like the most subjective part would be slicing the pie around the side while shooting, as the position of cover is actually changing as you enguage targets.

If you are moving from say, the right side of an 8' wall to the left side, I fail to see how it would be subjective that you are still behind cover.

Also, if they were trying to remove subjective calls they shouldn't have made it DQ'able to get "close" to a muzzle safe point.

Sam1911
May 10, 2013, 07:37 PM
I think the selfless act of toiling as a moderator cuts through the haze of brimstone fumes to rebalance the scalesOh! Wow, what a load that is off my mind! :)

FatboyHD
May 12, 2013, 09:19 PM
Shot my first IDPA match on Wed. May 8th. Wow! Wish I would have joined years ago. Went there with mixed emotions on whether to watch or shoot. Everyone encouraged me to just shoot. They actually preferred since it was my first time not to shoot from concealment. I had watched all the videos YouTube had to offer so had a lot of stuff going through my head. Once I got through stage 1 of 4 it was a load off my shoulders, then just relaxed and had fun. I had a blast. The group I shot with at West Houston IDPA were great giving me pointers to help me improve in the future. I came straight home and signed up for the next weeks match, I find myself gearing up practicing my draw and reloads every couple of hours. Only hope the weather will hold up for wed. Match calling for rain. So newbie to newbie.Go out, go prepared to shoot, BE SAFE, and have fun.
Jon

breakingcontact
May 13, 2013, 11:00 PM
This thread makes me want to shoot the next IDPA match. I've shot 3 or 4. Liked them pretty well. Its just a matter of taking the time to go do it.

firewalker_55
May 27, 2013, 11:09 PM
Ok I'll chime in. Use the gun that you usually carry.It will make you very proficient with it. I have used a gen4 26 for the last 2 years.SSP ex. And usually preform well. Just enjoy the game and learn your gun.:D

lpsharp88
May 27, 2013, 11:42 PM
Ok I'll chime in. Use the gun that you usually carry.It will make you very proficient with it. I have used a gen4 26 for the last 2 years.SSP ex. And usually preform well. Just enjoy the game and learn your gun.:D
I thought that the G26 would be a BUG? I dunno, I am by no means an expert. One reason that I wanted to try with my M9 is that it has a longer site radius, and should, in theory, be more accurate. But I do agree with your point. My EDC is a G26 gen4 and it honestly would be a pretty good idea to compete with it. I also think that the consistent trigger pull on the Glock could be a good advantage over the M9

firewalker_55
May 28, 2013, 01:32 AM
I shot my classifiers last month. SSP I used a gen 4 34 shot a 117.
ESP I used my gen 4 26, shot a 106. That's 11 seconds faster.
For me the 26 handles and cycles faster. It is at least as accurate under 45 yrds.
I have won state SSP Ex. with it in the past. Enjoy

jeffsnow62
May 28, 2013, 04:21 PM
I shot my first (low level) match about 3 weeks ago,,,my classifier last week. What a great time, and as everyone has said, the folks involved are top notch.

Advice for first time shooters? take your time,,,misses (especially head shots) hurt way too much, more than penalties.

I also shot my first USPSA this past weekend. It is much more freestyle in the approach (safety is still #1) It is more about the game than tactically sound approaches to a given scenario. While you can apply tactics, it will cost you, heavily.

All in all both are way too much fun. Now if we could just get the price of ammo down...

breakingcontact
May 29, 2013, 01:26 AM
Glad to hear you got out there and shot a match. Very hard to go slow when most of the guys are running through the stages. I know I tell myself each time to slow down...then the buzzer goes off...

GEM
May 29, 2013, 12:28 PM
Go out and shoot. Just take it slow. The G-26 is just fine. Our matches in TX are very beginner friendly. BTW, Bubba is one of our SOs -and he does a fine job and new shooter orientation.

The rules are just for the game - some might seem silly - we are awaiting the new rules. I've been dinged for reloading on the move behind cover and don't ask about 'round dumping'. :uhoh:

Ignore the gamers. We have several national champs that shoot with us and they don't have a touch of arrogance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wanting To Get Into IDPA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!