Check this out. "Stabilizing brace"

PDA

460Kodiak
April 30, 2013, 05:00 PM
Ok so I just got an email from Sig Sauer and they are releasing this product.

http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/sb15-pistol-stabilizing-brace-552.aspx

This product has..... obvious utility. My Sig P556 pistol will be getting one, since I ONLY shoot it one handed. :evil:

Anyone know if they stuck red Locktight on the end caps of the P556's?

If you enjoyed reading about "Check this out. "Stabilizing brace"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stringfellow
April 30, 2013, 05:10 PM
Brilliant.

Ryanxia
April 30, 2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks to theautobahn for e-mailing me on this. This is a "stabilizing brace" from Sig for AR pistols. The ATF has approved it (sending a letter saying adding this item does NOT convert it into a rifle) (letter on Sig's website).

Pretty neat I thought.

Sorry for the poor quality picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsqy73wE5Eo

Tommygunn
April 30, 2013, 07:19 PM
"...adding this item does NOT convert it into a rifle..."
Oooooookaaaayyyyy....
Really?
Not that I wish to be perceived as supporting the NFA of '34 or any other similar gun law (which I think are abominations of law) but I do not really know what else you would call that. It's a shoulder stock. And the result is a rifle. A rifle with a pistol barrel less than 16".
A SBR, in other words.
Good thing there are no shoelaces on it.:neener:

BemidjiDweller
April 30, 2013, 07:26 PM
Tommygunn,
It isn't a shoulder stock, it attaches to your forearm. Did you even watch the video?

offthepaper
April 30, 2013, 07:36 PM
Not sure what that cost, but I don't see myself spending much $$ for that.

yes Tommygun,
watch the video.

Ryanxia
April 30, 2013, 07:43 PM
It's on Sig's website for $139 which is reasonable being what it actually is. I'm sure the price will come down over time.

BobTheTomato
April 30, 2013, 07:48 PM
hmmmmmm......I'd like to see an ATF letter.....

wally
April 30, 2013, 08:02 PM

Or loophole :)

Good thing there are no shoelaces on it.

For sure!

Ryanxia
April 30, 2013, 08:11 PM
Like I said the ATF letter is on Sig's website available for download. I read it. Looks legit.

The-Reaver
April 30, 2013, 08:12 PM
I wonder how sturdy the " brace " section is. I see people using this for the wrong reasons.......good thing it's approved by the alphabet agency.

bhesler
April 30, 2013, 08:13 PM
I think I remember reading something on this a while back, maybe even on THR. I think it was designed by or for a veteran. Nice that Sig picked it up.

12many
April 30, 2013, 08:36 PM
I don't like it. Why not just use a rifle or use two hands? I don't want something strapped to my arm. What am I missing?

vtail
April 30, 2013, 08:38 PM
"...adding this item does NOT convert it into a rifle..."
Oooooookaaaayyyyy....
Really?
Not that I wish to be perceived as supporting the NFA of '34 or any other similar gun law (which I think are abominations of law) but I do not really know what else you would call that. It's a shoulder stock. And the result is a rifle. A rifle with a pistol barrel less than 16".
A SBR, in other words.
Good thing there are no shoelaces on it.:neener:
A shoulder stock? Really?

Are you sure you're not thinking about that shoulder thing that goes up?

rugerdude
April 30, 2013, 08:41 PM
The foam rubber used to build the brace is not sturdy enough to use as a stock. But hey, it's a step in the right direction.

AK103K
April 30, 2013, 08:41 PM
It isn't a shoulder stock, it attaches to your forearm.
Whats to stop it from being used as one?

BemidjiDweller
April 30, 2013, 08:49 PM
Whats to stop it from being used as one?
Whats stopping a bare buffer tube from being used as a stock?

AK103K
April 30, 2013, 08:59 PM
Whats stopping a bare buffer tube from being used as a stock?
Nothing. Id be using it as a "cheek stock", with a cheek weld. I used to use my MP5 with the stock collapsed and my cheek pressed against the stock where it connected to the rear of the receiver. Used to do the same with my buddies MP40 as well. Both guns always shot well doing so.

From what I can see in the video, I can easily see a piece of tape on the tube being used as a "stop" with that brace, and it having "stock" status/use.

It looks to be pretty "firm". Is it to soft that the back wouldnt support the recoil?

gym
April 30, 2013, 09:37 PM
I like it, makes more sense than anything I have seen for the AR, in a while that is actually "new".

Ryanxia
April 30, 2013, 10:30 PM
I don't like it. Why not just use a rifle or use two hands? I don't want something strapped to my arm. What am I missing?
The whole point of having a 'pistol build' like shown in the OP is so you can have less than a 16" barrel which is desirable for several reasons. This just makes it more convenient/stable for your pistol build. (There are those of us who want a shorter barrel but don't want to dish out the $200 tax stamp and get fingerprinted like a common criminal). :D
Pistol builds of course cannot have a traditional stock (or any) so this is the closest 'stabilizer'.

xwingband
April 30, 2013, 10:59 PM
Well, I'm sure it got the ATF pass because the "stock" doesn't lock. It simply has a nice friction fit to the pistol buffer tube. It can't go on the standard carbine buffer tube either.

It's nice to have the option!

gspn
April 30, 2013, 11:09 PM
That is an AR for midgets...real life midgets. That thing would fit them perfectly. Imagine a clown car at the circus unloading a dozen midgets with those. I think I see this as a scene in the next Quentin Tarantino movie. A bunch of midgets holding up banks. Imagine a Mini Cooper GT flying up to a bank and 13 midgets with these midget AR's raiding the place.

They yell "this is a stickup!" and everyone looks around but nobody can see them because they're so short. Next they have to get a customer to pick them up so they can look the cashier in the eye and tell her to hand over the money.

Yeah...that's where I see this going...and I LIKE IT!

holdencm9
April 30, 2013, 11:22 PM
Seems kind of neat. I couldn't see myself spending on one though.

Ryanxia
April 30, 2013, 11:25 PM
Guess my original thread got smushed into somebody else's. Oh well, cool product, think I'll pick one up.

Shimitup
April 30, 2013, 11:37 PM
Remember Wrist Rocket slingshots, I bet somebody at Sig brought one to the office one day.

X-JaVeN-X
April 30, 2013, 11:42 PM
Doesn't do anything for me...just seems like one more unnecessary waste of plastic and money. If I want a pistol...I'll get a pistol...if I want an AR, I'll grab an AR.

Tommygunn
May 1, 2013, 12:17 AM
It isn't a shoulder stock, it attaches to your forearm. Did you even watch the video?
:o
BemidjiDweller, Offthepaper, Vtail, et al,

OK, I SHOULD have actually watched the video.
My computer gets awfully hinky playing some videos and I resist playing them when I don't really really have to, and I saw the posted picture and the thing looked like a shoulder stock.
So I was wrong.
It's not a shoulder stock It's an arm stock. :neener:

I made a boo-boo. So sue me.:evil:

junyo
May 1, 2013, 12:18 AM
The fact that not everyone has two functional arms?

Believe this is from the actual inventor...http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/11/robert-farago/sb15-ar-15-pistol-forearm-stabilizing-brace/

mljdeckard
May 1, 2013, 12:23 AM
I dunno. How long can you hold it out without getting tired? Kind of makes it tough to drop it to sling and transition to sidearm.

Girodin
May 1, 2013, 12:58 AM
For $139? Another $60 and you could pay a tax stamp. That would give one a weapon that is vastly more useful. BTW an ATF letter is an expression of an opinion at that time. It can change, which is why one can find contradicting opinions on various issues.

Powder burn
May 1, 2013, 01:21 AM
Dual wielding Pistols! Only in video games, or you tube.:D

Bobson
May 1, 2013, 02:33 AM
If I want a pistol...I'll get a pistol...if I want an AR, I'll grab an AR.
Same here; AR pistols aren't my thing. Having said that, I think this is a really clever idea. Well done, SIG.

I think the biggest drawback with this product is the strap that needs to be fastened around the forearm. It's going to keep this product from being useful everywhere but at the range or in a treestand (just like in the video). Oh well.

460Kodiak
May 1, 2013, 09:06 AM

If I want a pistol...I'll get a pistol...if I want an AR, I'll grab an AR.

For those of us who's interests lean almost entirely towards pistols, the AR or AK pistol reperesents an extreme end of the spectrum. I find them facinating and I enjoy my Sig P556. Despite what many people seem to think that they are "useless" or not impractical, I assure you, that with enough practice and range time, they can be fired quickly and acurately. They are admitedly less stable and less practical than a full size AR with a stock, but they are fun none the less. Since I view mine as a range toy with some HD or "truck gun" utility, this brace allows a more flexible use of the AR pistol. It can also serve as a makeshift shoulder stock should serious use of the weapon be needed.

If one has use of only one arm, and wishes to use an AR to hunt (Yes I know 223 is a little under powered and undersized for that, but it is legal in some places.) a brace like this could assist such an individual. You could even put it on a light weight full size AR for the same purpose.

With a proper working laser, this would make low light hip shooting real fun. FUN... I am not advocating hip shooting in a serious situation as it is less acurate and could lead collateral damage.

Ultimately, this allows AR and AK pistol shooters the option of having a quasi-SBR, without having to register the gun, pay a tax stamp, or get finger printed. I think it is an option that most AR pistol shooters will welcome.

Considering the price ($1600 into mine) of the guns, what's another $139 to vastly improve the capabilities and flexability of these guns?

smalls
May 1, 2013, 09:16 AM
If used the obvious "unintended" way, this may be a good way to go around that pesky no SBR law we have in MI.

tarosean
May 1, 2013, 09:20 AM
For $139? Another $60 and you could pay a tax stamp. That would give one a weapon that is vastly more useful.

I'm in this boat.

Sig is at least trying some new innovation with this thing and that ACP doo dad.

Ditchtiger
May 1, 2013, 09:48 AM
Any one else have visions of Bruce Cambell from, "Army of Darkness"?

WardenWolf
May 1, 2013, 11:10 AM
My friend has a Kel-Tec PLR-16. I wonder if it could be installed on one.

Quiet
May 1, 2013, 11:40 AM

BATFE approval letter to the original creator that sold it to SIG.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag159/alessandrorbosco/ATFApprovalLetter1-1.jpg

Quiet
May 1, 2013, 11:43 AM
AFAIK...
The original intent of the device was the assist disabled people in shooting AR pistols.

bolthead
May 1, 2013, 02:10 PM
Really shouldnt cost that much. Too bad they probably have the thing patented so noone else can rush in and sell them for half the price.

silicosys4
May 1, 2013, 03:04 PM
WARNING!!: Opinion about to ensue

Sorry, the first thing I thought when I saw the tree stand hunter was "gimme a freakin' break". I can't think of a weapon less suited to hunting than a pistol length AR-15, and this seemed like way too much of a stretch to legitimize something.( I'm not saying you shouldn't have the right to hunt with them, I'm saying in my opinion it is an extraordinarily poor choice.) Pistols make sense to me, Carbines make sense to me, Aiming a very akward 5 lb pistol/carbine at full arms length for the purpose of taking an accurate shot for a humane kill does not. IMO It is a ridiculous accoutrement that is meant to mitigate some of the flaws of a ridiculous weapon that makes little sense in itself.

Are we now MecWarriors with GunArms? How very tactical ninja. Pew pew whizbang, my GunArm with Pod Upgrade! Double Fisted!!

That said, I'm sure it is fun to use, and for a disabled person it would be a very good product.

460Kodiak
May 1, 2013, 03:22 PM
Are we now MecWarriors with GunArms?

God I hope so. :) LOL! You know, the ironic part is that I'm a revolver guy at heart. I prefer old fashion wheel guns.

AR pistols are mostly for fun anyway, so yes tacticool mall ninja it is. It's my one gun that has no real practical value..... and I love it.

Here's the real question. How long will it be before someone comes up with a battle helmet with a heads up display that creats a targetting reticle in your visor that is remote linked to an IR targeting laser on the gun. You would see exactly where the gun would hit. Add on a gun cam so you could have a window around the corner and soldiers could take precise shots from under cover, and only stick their arms out to shoot. Throw in a prgramable range finding laser that accounts for bullt drop of your particular cartridge and barrel length, and distance shots become more doable. On the gun cam could be a magnification function to allow longer distance shots. It would need a cancelation distance function though so if you did shoulder the weapon the reticle would disapear and not interfear with a reflex sight.

Wind speed and direction would still be an issue, but you could probably program those compensations in too. Soldiers would need the helmet, module for their rifle, and a sufficient and reliable power source to make this practicle. Shooting accurately from odd positions and without raising the gun to the eye is suddenly easy.

I'm sure someone is already working on the concept, or has developed it for our special forces. Science fiction becomes reality eventually. Maybe not time travel or warp speed so much.

xxjumbojimboxx
May 1, 2013, 04:13 PM
After watching that very informative video...

Thats still a stock..

MaterDei
May 1, 2013, 04:50 PM
I like it but am not into AR pistols so won't be getting one. If you don't want to spend the $s, I suspect it would be pretty easy to fashion something like this at home using some velcro straps and dense foam.

zignal_zero
May 1, 2013, 05:01 PM
Glad someonelse mentioned "gunarms" because all I could think about when I saw this product was the chcik from that Grindhouse movie Planet Death (I think I was called) that had the M16 for a leg. Anybody remember? Her bf made it for her, after she lost her leg. Btw her bf (Elray) was a whole nuther level of BAD :-D

wally
May 1, 2013, 08:13 PM
For $139? Another $60 and you could pay a tax stamp. That would give one a weapon that is vastly more useful.

True enough, but not all states allow SBRs.

So I see it filling a niche.

joeponds
May 1, 2013, 08:55 PM
I will not pay 139.99 plus for that piece of plastic.

btg3
May 1, 2013, 09:36 PM
Range reports anyone??? I need a good laugh!

Edarnold
May 2, 2013, 12:43 AM
Looks like they reinvented the Air Force survival weapon project that was the original "Bushmaster". With the availability today of red-dot sights this would be a lot more practical.

zignal_zero
May 2, 2013, 02:41 AM
Not to get off topic, but y'all have seen the "chin stock" right? This kinda seems along the same lines.

pockets
May 2, 2013, 07:18 AM
all I could think about when I saw this product was the chcik from that Grindhouse movie Planet Death (I think I was called) that had the M16 for a leg.
That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this product as well. The second thing was a product in the 80's (IIRC) that was a sort of hand-held pistol stock (your hand held the pistol and sort-of-stock together).

Note: The movie is 'Planet Terror' by Robert Rodriguez. Rose McGowan played 'Cherry Darling' who eventually used an M4/M203 as a leg.
'Planet Terror' was originally released with Quentin Tarantino's 'Death Proof' under the combined title 'Grindhouse'. Not a big fan of Tarantino's or Rodriguez's stuff, they are pretty much just rehashes of better/older Italian flicks.

Girodin
May 2, 2013, 09:02 AM
BATFE approval letter . . .

That is not an "approval letter." Rather it is an "opinion letter." BATFE can and does change their opinion on things they opine about. I think people really don't understand the legal value of such letters.

BigShep85
May 2, 2013, 09:54 AM
genious idea

918v
May 4, 2013, 10:56 PM
I'm gonna design a brasier allowing one to attach two such pistols to their thorax.

Flyboy73
May 4, 2013, 11:57 PM
Looks like the one that Century Arms just came out with for thier PAP AK pistols.

See my other thread on it.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=715416

460Kodiak
May 13, 2013, 05:51 PM
I wonder if you cut and sanded a block of wood to fit inside the brace and strapped it in tightly enough, if it would function as a full size stock. Would that violate ATF rules? I would think not as long as you don't screw it in.

tipoc
May 13, 2013, 07:18 PM
Pretty much this is a range toy. But there is nothing wrong with that. A lot of things these days are range toys. It is what it is. A little talcum powder and off you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsqy73wE5Eo

You can also strap it to your leg as Rose McGowen did in Planet Terror

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v756aJDxMZU

They make about the same thing for a Glock.

tipoc

If you enjoyed reading about "Check this out. "Stabilizing brace"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!