Hornady FTX Seater Plug

PDA

Maj Dad
May 1, 2013, 01:38 AM
I am going to load some Hdy 160 gr FTXs for my 30-30 and I am wondering if the standard RCBS seater plug will do or should I change to one for a pointed bullet? I was going to just swap the FP plug for one from another die set but thought I'd ask since I don't have any experience with the true "soft points"...
Thanks,
George J.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady FTX Seater Plug" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Strongbad
May 1, 2013, 10:45 PM
You CAN get one from RCBS, but if you've got a stem for spitzers handy, just swap it out. The Lee dies I use for 30/30 seemed to work ok but for my 500 S&W I had to borrow the stem from my 416 Rigby dies.

788Ham
May 1, 2013, 11:00 PM
When I reloaded some rifle bullets and didn't have what you're inquiring about, I took a small drill bit and "gently" drilled into the center of the plug, just enough to make it so the point would center in it, works fine.

RPRNY
May 1, 2013, 11:27 PM
Any. 308 spitzer plug will work fine. I just pull the plug from my 30-06 die when I load FTX.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Mike 27
May 1, 2013, 11:28 PM
I don't do anything special and never had an issue. just run a few and see if you have any issues. I am using the Lee dies and have loaded a few hundred of these.

Maj Dad
May 2, 2013, 12:07 AM
Thanks - I guess I will try one & see how the FP plug works, then change it out if not. Kinda common sense thing... :o

03fatboy
May 2, 2013, 01:22 AM
Used lee dies to load FTX and no problem

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady FTX Seater Plug" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!