Thumb safety !!!

PDA

alca
May 1, 2013, 02:01 PM
I have a master target STI pistol and I want to change the ambi thumb safety. I want to install a single thumb safety because the original is too long and when I shoot I always hang in, and my slide is locked............
Is it difficult to change or is it better to see a gunsmitther?
Thank

If you enjoyed reading about "Thumb safety !!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
May 1, 2013, 03:30 PM
If you had an old USGI pistol you could probably drop in a new safety. However your STI has a tuned and lightened trigger pull and the safety has to be adjusted to prevent any and all sear movement when the safety is placed "on."

A local 'smith might (or might not) be able to correctly fit a new safety. I suggest you return it to STI to insure the work is correctly done.

creeper1956
May 1, 2013, 10:46 PM
We don't know your skills at DIY... which is why Fuff suggest you have a new safety professionally fit.
If you are DIY skillful and you have a good working knowledge of the 1911 fire control system and why Fuff is concerned that the safety lug lock the sear tight with zero movement... then maybe you can replace the safety.

Another option is to cut down and if needs be, thin the safety lever paddles to a shape more functional for your needs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thumb safety !!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!