Lenght of the brass !!!

PDA

alca
May 1, 2013, 02:03 PM
Hi, i want to measure my brass pistol cause i want to have the same lenght.
Do i measure it before resizinf or after the resizing operation?
Thank

If you enjoyed reading about "Lenght of the brass !!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oldpapps
May 1, 2013, 02:13 PM
Most pistol brass is straight walled, so it shouldn't make any difference. I normally check length after sizing straight walled brass and always after sizing bottle necked brass.

jstein650
May 1, 2013, 02:17 PM
^Yep.

45lcshooter
May 1, 2013, 02:19 PM
Check after resizing. Straight walled cases usually grow, if grow at all, after several firings.

Walkalong
May 1, 2013, 02:30 PM
Right, sizing will lengthen brass as it squeezes it inward. Always trim after sizing.

Jesse Heywood
May 1, 2013, 05:21 PM
On some revolver cartridges, which I don't trim, I sort by length before resizing. Makes crimping easier. I quit trimming a straight-wall rounds.

Arkansas Paul
May 1, 2013, 05:24 PM
Right, sizing will lengthen brass as it squeezes it inward. Always trim after sizing.

You trim handgun brass after each sizing?
I have never trimmed a piece of handgun brass.

Walkalong
May 1, 2013, 05:33 PM
You trim handgun brass after each sizing?No, he asked when to trim, before or after sizing. That is the answer. After.

I never trim auto brass, but I do trim a lot of revolver brass. I am shooting mixed .38 Spl and .357 brass, and the lengths are all over the place, so I trim them to get better more consistent crimps. I bought a bunch of Starline .32 Long and .32 Mag brass. It is so consistent in length I have not trimmed it. My .45 Colt brass is also mixed, and I trimmed it as well.

Many people never trim any pistol brass, and I never knock anyone for not doing so. YMMV :)

gamestalker
May 1, 2013, 06:07 PM
Trim after resizing. And for the record, I trim all my brass. There is a SAAMI specification for "trim too length", use that specified length. And your right, it does make crimping go a lot more consistent and helps to eliminate issues with light, or over crimped cases, which leads bullet jump, or buckled cases.

GS

bigdaa
May 1, 2013, 06:07 PM
I'm another one insisting that it be measured after full length sizing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lenght of the brass !!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!