berdan military primers

PDA

jbrown_14105
May 2, 2013, 12:31 AM
Good evening,
Has anyone had any luck "de-capping" Berdan primed Military cases?
I have the RCBS 9525 and I think I have just steel case military "brass"
It is definitely Berdan, but they might be "crimped in" primers.
I thought someone made a 2 pin "Berdan" punch?
Thanks
Jim Brown

If you enjoyed reading about "berdan military primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
May 2, 2013, 12:34 AM
The way I've seen most people decap Berdan-primed cases is via hydraulic pressure; fill the case with water, insert a ram that's close to neck ID, and hammer it in.

bonza
May 3, 2013, 02:26 PM
I use the the RCBS Berdan Decapper, mainly on So. African & Jugoslavian military surplus .303 British (brass cases). Have also used it on steel cased 7.62x39mm & it worked well, though the initial decapping is harder due to the crimp, subsequent use is much easier.

howlnmad
May 3, 2013, 03:30 PM
Good evening,
Has anyone had any luck "de-capping" Berdan primed Military cases?
I have the RCBS 9525 and I think I have just steel case military "brass"
It is definitely Berdan, but they might be "crimped in" primers.
I thought someone made a 2 pin "Berdan" punch?
Thanks
Jim Brown
I'm not sure that I understand the question. If it's steel case, why bother decapping them?

bonza
May 3, 2013, 08:23 PM
"If it's steel case, why bother decapping them?"

They can be reloaded. Quite a few years back I reloaded some once-fired steel cased 7.62x39mm to use on a pig shooting trip in the Australian outback, where it wouldn't matter if I lost the empties.

If you enjoyed reading about "berdan military primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!