Savage model 101

PDA

Chris-bob
May 2, 2013, 04:22 AM
So today the local pawn shop had a Savage m101 single shot revolver. Very interesting pistol. Was thinking of getting it. Any thoughts on it's construction or value? Saw one recently sold on auction for $125.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage model 101" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Carl N. Brown
May 2, 2013, 08:45 AM
There is little formal collector's interest in the Savage 101; the 2000 ed of the R.L. Wilson Price Guide to Gun Collecting listed it at $75. However, old guns with low formal suit-and-tie collector's interest are often worth more as shooting guns for hunting or sport than they are as collectibles. Some guns have zero collector interest but make good hunting or range guns.

The Savage 101 is an interesting side note in mid-20th century gun history. Colt had discontinued the Single Action Army in WWII but 1950s TV cowboy shows sparked a new interest in cowboy revolvers. Harrington and Richardson and Iver Johnson dressed up their revolvers in vague resemblance to the SAA. German and Italian imported copies entered the market. Ruger started making the Single Six. The Savage 101 singleshot, styled to imitate the SAA, was Savage Arms' contribution.

I myself have bought odd ball guns as curios with no regard for their price or value to others.

Chris-bob
May 3, 2013, 12:40 AM
I myself have bought odd ball guns as curios with no regard for their price or value to others.

Yeah, I do that alot too.

I was hoping to get it as a curio and conversation piece. Hopefully it will turn out to be a nice shooter too.

Jim K
May 4, 2013, 10:50 PM
A small tip that could save you some grief.

If you try to disassemble that gun, make sure you don't get the little plunger into one of the dummy "chamber" holes. If you do, it will be very difficult to get out and you could end up damaging the gun.

Jim

beag_nut
May 5, 2013, 09:45 PM
Isn't "single-shot revolver" an oxymoron?

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage model 101" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!