50 caliber ammo can capicity - brass?

PDA

jblackfish
May 2, 2013, 12:58 PM
I'm aware of this thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-324927.html) but has anyone ever figured out how much brass a 50 caliber ammo can will hold? I'm looking for a shortcut to inventorying my 9mm and .45 brass if anyone has already done it.

If I have to count and weigh I'll post in here (if anyone cares) but don't be in a hurry. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "50 caliber ammo can capicity - brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Certaindeaf
May 2, 2013, 01:13 PM
Weigh the brass that the can will/can hold and if you don't want to decant it, find out how much a can weighs empty and subtract that from the full can weight.

45lcshooter
May 2, 2013, 02:48 PM
Dump the brass in, and when its full, you have a full 50cal can full of brass. Haha. I have about 1300 5.56 cases in a 30cal can, and there is a little room left.

jblackfish
May 2, 2013, 03:36 PM
I know how to do it. I'm trying to avoid the time it takes to figure it out and I thought maybe someone here had been through the exercise. I guess not. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Certaindeaf
May 2, 2013, 04:21 PM
Tell us the weight of the brass that fills x and we'll tell you the count.. and tell you how it's done so you can do it and understand. The bottom line is weight is weight.

Certaindeaf
May 2, 2013, 04:26 PM
People that do this don't generally have a certified/fine scale. For anything of any appreciable weight and not the value of gold etc., a bathroom scale will suffice. Check out the scrapyards.. though they certify those monsters.

Texan Scott
May 2, 2013, 06:58 PM
Easy to do in three measurements.

1) weigh empty can. This is weight B.
2) fill can and weigh it. This is weight A.
3) take and weigh a big handful of brass; divide by however many pieces for a good average weight, C.

(A-B)/C =~ brass count.

Question answered in two minutes or less.

Reefinmike
May 2, 2013, 10:00 PM
I bought a cheap "jewelry" scale from a gas station that carried all types of funny looking colorful glass tobacco pipes, razor blades and tiny baby ziploc baggies for $20. works great for weighing out brass, weighing lead ingots up to a couple pounds, weighing random range finds bullets that ive pulled with intention of reloading, weighing guns, loaded mags etc etc etc. very useful to have around. for what its worth, a 50 cal can will hold about 1400 rounds of loaded 230gr ball ammo... very heavy might i mention.

And before anyone says anything, my username alludes to the fact that another hobby/ small business of mine is maintaining saltwater(reef) aquariums!

orionengnr
May 4, 2013, 12:54 AM
I have a number of .50 cans filled with cleaned brass.

I counted out a can's worth at one time. What I have written down is that a .50 can will hold 1600 rounds of .45acp, or 3000 rounds of 9mm.

The .30 can will hold 1000 rounds of .45acp or 1600 9mm.

I imagine all of these numbers were rounded to the nearest 100...probably rounded down, just based on my general conservative tendencies.

That was a while ago, but I have been using those numbers to estimate my brass stash ever since. No guarantees, but I think it is pretty close.

jblackfish
May 4, 2013, 03:24 PM
I have a number of .50 cans filled with cleaned brass.

I counted out a can's worth at one time. What I have written down is that a .50 can will hold 1600 rounds of .45acp, or 3000 rounds of 9mm.

The .30 can will hold 1000 rounds of .45acp or 1600 9mm.

I imagine all of these numbers were rounded to the nearest 100...probably rounded down, just based on my general conservative tendencies.

That was a while ago, but I have been using those numbers to estimate my brass stash ever since. No guarantees, but I think it is pretty close.
That's EXACTLY what I'd hoped to get - reasonable estimate instead of forumlas (which I didn't need!) Thank you so much, Orionengnr, for the info and saving me the time of having to go to the trouble! I hope I can return the favor some time.

Certaindeaf
May 4, 2013, 04:22 PM
You can buy a used bathroom scale for like fifty cents. They come in handy since they weigh things.

If you enjoyed reading about "50 caliber ammo can capicity - brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!