New CCW: LCR or Shield

PDA

LeontheProfessional
May 2, 2013, 07:15 PM
This really isnt a revolver/ semi auto debate. Ive carried both for a long time. I am just looking for a new smaller carry gun. My old CCW was a Glock 27 and now Its my SP101 with a 3 1/16" barrel. It carries nicely but I want something smaller for the summer months. The LCR will be in 357 and is still lighter than the shield, but The shield is slimmer though.

Any thoughts on these two guns?

If you enjoyed reading about "New CCW: LCR or Shield" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hariph creek
May 2, 2013, 07:18 PM
Which one do you want?

I prefer .38+p in a snub.
Personally I'd go, Shield. These slim sub-compact nines carry like a dream. Some, like the Shield, shoot good too.

LeontheProfessional
May 2, 2013, 07:25 PM
I want both. Thats the problem.

Bobson
May 2, 2013, 07:42 PM
So get one now and get the other down the road. They're both quality guns, and are fairly inexpensive as far as quality guns go. I'd go with the LCR first, just because I don't own a revolver yet. I'd like to pick up a J-Frame for myself someday, but there are several other priorities first... someday is gonna be a few years, I think. :p

FWIW, my brother has an LCR and loves it; it's his BUG when he's on duty. And I've never heard a single negative comment about the Shield. They're both solid, you can't go wrong.

hariph creek
May 2, 2013, 07:45 PM
The way things have been lately? I'd get whichever I could find, first.

Edit: the trigger on the LCR is amazing!

Fatdaddy
May 2, 2013, 07:52 PM
I had a LC9 for about 9 months til I could find a Shield.
"To me" the LC9 packed better IWB due to the more tapered bbl/shroud.
The trigger was not near as nice as the Shield but it's two totally different trigger systems. The LC9 trigger is a DAO system but not hard to master.
The Shield is also a great choice and shoots more like a full sized striker fired handgun. You could probably shoot it a little faster/more accurately than the LC9.

In short: LC9 has a slight edge in IWB comfort/concealment but the Shield is easier to shoot well.
It's a trade off, I will probably pick up another LC9 at some point and keep my Shield. (Shield comes with 2 magazines, the LC9 one BTW)

....sorry didn't read OP as well as I should have. Disregard unless you're considering the LC9 or Shield:rolleyes:.....

LeontheProfessional
May 2, 2013, 08:02 PM
No, thanks for the info. I have thought about an LC9 also. I think I am stuck on these two for now unless an LC9 jumps out at me for a good price.

Inebriated
May 2, 2013, 08:22 PM
If it's "which one first", then I say Shield. Has more pros and less cons than the LCR.

LeontheProfessional
May 2, 2013, 08:49 PM
What cons does the LCR have?

TAKtical
May 2, 2013, 08:51 PM
Shield

Bobson
May 2, 2013, 08:58 PM
Unless you're very well-practiced with a revolver, it will definitely be slower to reload than the Shield. That's a biggy.

LeontheProfessional
May 2, 2013, 09:09 PM
I carry a revolver already so that isnt an issue. I am more so looking for design flaws.

Inebriated
May 2, 2013, 09:54 PM

Slower to reload, thicker, heavier, and .38/.357 is more expensive than 9.

Nothing bad about the LCR, and no design flaws... just the usual "auto vs. revolver" points.

firesky101
May 3, 2013, 01:02 AM
I own the KLCR, and if I did not already have a pocket auto when I bought it, I would not have bought it. I love the KLCR, but if I could only have one it would be the shield.

MaterDei
May 3, 2013, 01:04 AM
Apples and oranges.

marksg
May 3, 2013, 01:27 AM
I want both. Thats the problem.

maybe you answered it yourself;)

But me personally, I'd get the Shield and stick with the SP101 for revolver carry.
just my .02

Water-Man
May 3, 2013, 02:00 AM
I bought both but not at the same time.

LCR first, followed by the Shield.

Both are very good guns and, IMO, as good as they get in their category.

ArchAngelCD
May 3, 2013, 02:20 AM
I'm a revolver guys so I would go with the revolver but I like the Shield and your choices.

If I were to carry a semi-auto it would probably be the Shield, if I could find one available somewhere. I do own a Kel-Tec P-32 for those times you need something very small but the shield is very interesting!

Manny
May 3, 2013, 08:59 AM
I too have an SP101 and got the KLCR for lighter, more compact carry and like it very much, enough so that my SP may be getting traded off. Mine wears CT grips and is the ultimate compact carry gun IMHO. Other guns maybe smaller but I've never tried one that was very "shootable", at least with any degree of comfort & accuracy. I also have the LCR22 w/ CT grips as a companion/practice piece, really like it and the combo of the two and find I can shoot them very well. The trigger on the KLCR is INCREDIBLE, and the LCR 22, while not nearly as good is very acceptable and getting better.

Massad Ayoob also makes the argument for compact revolvers for deep carry and I think he makes some good points and I certainly respect his opinion.

I've never shot or even held a Shield so I can't speak to that weapon, but the LCR's get two BIG thumbs up from me.

Madcap_Magician
May 3, 2013, 09:35 AM
I actually have and carry both.

The LCR is better as the occasional drop-in-your-pocket gun because the overall weight is less and it sits in a pocket better (since the weight is concentrated more forward, whereas a loaded semiauto's weight is more rearward).

The Shield is better for virtually every other situation, and is both more powerful and easier to shoot (though the LCR is IMHO the best of the J-frame equivalents both in recoil management and trigger pull).

CSG
May 3, 2013, 06:54 PM
Curious what the LCR offers over the 442/642 (I've had a 442 for 20 years or so)? I find the LCR butt ugly although that's not a consideration for a CCW.

If I didn't have a PM9 though I'd get a Shield. I carry the PM9 over the 442 but have transitioned to an LCP recently in a pocket holster.

Inebriated
May 3, 2013, 07:33 PM
The LCR has a better trigger factory trigger (in my experience) and I think it weighs less than the 642/442.

firesky101
May 3, 2013, 08:10 PM
The trigger can be a subjective thing, but I find a majority of people agree that the LCR has the best out of the box trigger for a J frame sized revolver out there. My wife hates revolvers but had to have an LCR when she saw one as she described it "proportional". So the looks thing is subjective too.

CSG
May 3, 2013, 11:05 PM
I like the trigger in my 442 but I can understand that many people don't (from what I've read).

LeontheProfessional
May 3, 2013, 11:42 PM
I went to LGS today and handled both. The shield felt great and sat in the hands really well but it was a little big and top heavy for a what I wanted (a pocket gun). I picked up the LCR 357 and played with it for a bit. It sat perfectly in the hand and disappeared in my pocket. I havent shot it yet but I love the trigger on it!

Manny
May 3, 2013, 11:58 PM
Great choice, I think you'll be very happy with the KLCR, all you need to add is good ammo and you'll be set. I run Remington .38 +p Golden Sabers in mine and am very happy with the balance of power and recoil. YMMV

tazcat2005
May 4, 2013, 12:03 AM
Good choice. I love my LCR.

fxstchewy
May 4, 2013, 06:38 PM
Lcr IMHO is a better pocket gun.

LeontheProfessional
May 4, 2013, 08:02 PM
took it shooting today and it shoots great! shot some 158 gr 357s and it didnt kick near as bad as I would have thought.

Gadawg88
May 4, 2013, 09:07 PM
Glad you like it. You we're fortunate that they had one to sell you. I have had one in 38 sp on special order at a very high volume lgs in Atlanta for over 10 weeks now. Can't wait to get it to the range.

chunk
May 4, 2013, 10:21 PM
I would not call lcr trigger amazing...Not even close.

jon_in_wv
May 4, 2013, 10:29 PM
If a unobtrusive summer carry gun is the goal I would give the nod to the Shield. It has the edge in slimness, which will carry and conceal very nicely. Additionally, the flat single stack magazine will make a reload in the pocket much more comfortable and practical than a revolver reload.

LeontheProfessional
May 5, 2013, 12:01 AM
I use speed strips. They take up the least space.

LeontheProfessional
May 5, 2013, 12:02 AM
I would not call lcr trigger amazing...Not even close.
Why is this?

Skyshot
May 5, 2013, 11:00 AM
I really like my LCR .38+P with nightsite, It's the only carry gun for me in summertime atire.

KTXdm9
May 5, 2013, 01:37 PM
The Shield isn't really ideal for pocket carry. I prefer IWB at 4:30.

PabloJ
May 5, 2013, 03:08 PM
This really isnt a revolver/ semi auto debate. Ive carried both for a long time. I am just looking for a new smaller carry gun. My old CCW was a Glock 27 and now Its my SP101 with a 3 1/16" barrel. It carries nicely but I want something smaller for the summer months. The LCR will be in 357 and is still lighter than the shield, but The shield is slimmer though.

Any thoughts on these two guns?
The pistol can be carried with SEVEN or EIGHT round magazines. The revolver is FIVE shot
plus speed-loaders are next to useless while flat strips are totally useless. Very easy decision.

CSG
May 5, 2013, 08:09 PM
Actually, there are many reasons to choose a revolver. Fast reloads just aren't one of them for most folks.

hariph creek
May 6, 2013, 05:17 PM
Chunk, I guess "amazing" might be a little strong?
It doesn't compare to a Colt. Nor is it as good as a worked up S&W.
However for an "out of the box" J-frame sized gun, it's great.
I suspect there are less people in this day and age, who appreciate the investment of a good trigger job. Also some would argue the wisdom of a customized trigger on a SD gun.
I feel the camming action on the LCR, is superior, to any CURRENTLY mass produced DAO snub revolver.

It's not my favorite snub. I never even plan on owning one. But, I respect the engineering and design (advancements?) of the LCR trigger/action mechanism.

K1500
May 6, 2013, 05:46 PM
Shield for the belt, LCP for the pocket, LCR if you are not an auto guy. The LCP is so much better in the pocket than the Shield or LCR it isn't even close. I have the Shield and LCP, and have shot and played with the LCR. I like them all, but you see the two I own.

docnyt
May 6, 2013, 07:05 PM
A little off topic: which IWB holster are Shield owners using? I've had great experience with Crossbreed SuperTuck type holsters but even those seem bulky for such a thin profile gun.

LeontheProfessional
May 6, 2013, 09:16 PM
A 158 gr 38+P round is no joke. a 125 gr 357 JHP even out of a J frame is a serious round. Id take 5 shots of 357 any day over 6 or 7 of 380 or 9mm. Reloading from speed strips is the way to go for pocket carry. They take up less room than anything and you dont even realize they are there. I like the versatility of the 357 platform and I just prefer small revolvers to small autos. when it comes to full sized guns, for tactical purpose, I prefer autos.

I really like the shield because it had great reviews and felt good in the hands but at the end of the day the LCR spoke to me.

Madcap_Magician
May 6, 2013, 11:11 PM
A little off topic: which IWB holster are Shield owners using? I've had great experience with Crossbreed SuperTuck type holsters but even those seem bulky for such a thin profile gun.

No experience with the specific holster, but if I recall correctly, Crossbreed makes the Mini Tuck for the Shield.

K1500
May 7, 2013, 01:06 AM
CompTac Infidel IWB.

Water-Man
May 7, 2013, 01:39 AM
Raven Concealment Systems - Phantom

gym
May 7, 2013, 11:29 AM
I traded my 40 shield for a M&P9c, but would prefer the LCR. The shield is too large for the capacity it holds. It also is to thin for my hands, and in 40 that magazine drops out every 2nd or 3d mag, it's where the release is, with the recoil from the 40, it grazes the release and out comes the mag, even with being aware of it, I still managed to hit it too many times for me. The gun has nice lines, but the M&P 9c is a better choice and holds 12+1, which in this day is more important than anything else.

moxie
May 7, 2013, 12:13 PM
Another vote for Shield for the belt, LCR for the pocket (with a pocket holster.)

The LCR has, IMO, a better trigger than the 642/442. Better sights too.

For the LCR, speed strips are best for reloading, unless you have a pocket that will take a speedloader's girth. Strips are flat.

As far as reloading goes. Col. Jeff Cooper said, in an interview toward the end of his life, that he was only aware of two civilian gunfights in his career where reloading made any difference at all to the outcome.

KTXdm9
May 7, 2013, 10:07 PM
I use a Desantis Intruder for IWB carry of my Shield. I have a Cross Breed Super Tuck on order.

If you enjoyed reading about "New CCW: LCR or Shield" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!