Is this powder useable?

PDA

silicosys4
May 2, 2013, 08:27 PM
Hello,
I have run across someone who has a large amount of black powder for sale, from an estate sale. It is Goex, in boxes, and very strange looking. The "grains" if you could call them that, are about the size of your pinky fingernail. Think pea gravel size grains. The powder is listed as "1 FA".
Is this powder useable? I would think that by grinding, then sifting through various size seives, you could come up with something useable.
for $1/lb, is it even worth worrying about?
Everywhere I look for "1FA" lists it as a "fireworks" blackpowder.
Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this powder useable?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BlackNet
May 2, 2013, 08:33 PM
That is likely for something larger, i.e. canons. Keep in mind to that 'sporting powder' is setup for our rifles/shotguns/pistols while firework, lifting etc is *NOT* intended for our sport.

rcmodel
May 2, 2013, 09:05 PM
GOEX 1FA is commercial fireworks powder.

It is not suitable for use in black powder firearms, unless they happen to be fireworks mortar tubes.

http://www.powderinc.com/blackpowder.htm#FIREWORKS POWDER

rc

The Lone Haranguer
May 2, 2013, 09:14 PM
I don't think I would want to grind it. :p

Don McDowell
May 2, 2013, 10:00 PM
I'm not even sure it's legal for someone to own that stuff without the proper federal explosives license.

BlackNet
May 2, 2013, 10:33 PM
you can, just not over the 50 pound limit.

Caliper_RWVA
May 2, 2013, 10:45 PM
That is likely for something larger, i.e. canons. Keep in mind to that 'sporting powder' is setup for our rifles/shotguns/pistols while firework, lifting etc is *NOT* intended for our sport.

I agree the grain size is far too large to work in anything with a bore under a few inches, but the recipie for BP has been about the same for a few millenia. The recipies and techniques for making BP taught on amateur fireworks sites will make great "sporting" powder if you screen for 2F, 3F or 4F...

BlackNet
May 2, 2013, 10:48 PM
BluEyes, it is *NOT* just about the grain size. It is more about HOW the powder was made. Not all 'black powder' is equal either. You have a very diverse range of curves on a good number of areas, like burn rate for example.

Powder that is 'sporting' undergoes different processes and so does lifting powder, canon powder and all the other types.

swathdiver
May 3, 2013, 02:00 PM
For $1 a can you can shoot it, most here would!

Russ Jackson
May 3, 2013, 04:43 PM
I don't think I would want to grind it. :p
When I was younger some idiot in my home town tried to make black powder fine in a blender. A kitchen later and a lot of injury taught him a lesson. A Darwin award winner.

4v50 Gary
May 3, 2013, 11:24 PM
delete

Chawbaccer
May 4, 2013, 08:28 AM
For the price, I would buy some, whether I was going to use it or not. Maybe get it wet and re screen it.

Jaymo
May 5, 2013, 05:59 AM
Buy it.
Buy a cannon.
Problem solved.

BlackNet
May 5, 2013, 10:19 AM
Don't screen it, don't even try to change the size of the grains.

This powder was manufactured in a way that is not very helpful in firearms, the performance characteristics are way off and there is not much you can do to correct that.

Caliper_RWVA
May 6, 2013, 02:23 PM
BlackNet: can you elaborate on how this powder is made? I've seen a number of different recipies for BP, but they are all roughly the same percentages of the three components whether they come from an amateur fireworks perspective or making powder for a rifle. How does one make BP that won't work in a rifle?

zxcvbob
May 6, 2013, 02:34 PM
At $1 per pound, go for it. You will find some use for it; might have to pulverize it a little at a time in a rubber-drummed ball mill (rock tumber half-full of lead balls) to use it in BP handguns and rifles. It should be usable just like it is in cannons.

May 6, 2013, 02:35 PM
If it was me I would buy it, wet it well, and regrind(slowly and in very small amounts). Then lay it out in the sun to dry again. That is the way it is worked at factories---very wet--think slurry. If I were you I would not use it and give it to your friends--lol.

Gambit88
May 6, 2013, 11:50 PM
We tried some firework grade powder for blanks in our 6 pounder this weekend and it burns very dirty. Caked up our sponges something fierce after 9 shots. Vent hole was fouling to and we brushed after each shot. Definitely not something we are gonna use with live rounds. Noticed it smoked a lot more too

rcmodel
May 7, 2013, 12:13 AM
All the folks suggesting grinding it up while wet, screening it, etc??

Do you have any idea how many inventers, professional powder manufactures, powder plants, and workmen have died in explosions involving just that over the last 500 years??

Any attempt at grinding it up wet & drying it in the driveway is foolhardy at best.

And in todays Jihad invested USA world?

I'm not so sure I would even want to touch several canisters of fireworks grade black powder with YOUR 10 foot pole!!

No matter how cheap it seems at the time!

rc

Jaymo
May 7, 2013, 12:59 AM
I would definitely NOT recommend pounding it with an 8# sledgehammer.

Might make good fertilizer for your vegetable garden, though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this powder useable?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!