Brass problem or?

PDA

Katitmail
May 2, 2013, 10:29 PM
See attached. This is PPU ammo I use for Makarov and collect brass for reloading. I found a few cases like this. Bad brass? Bad gun? Should I reload this brass?

P.S. Obviously not those particular pieces but overall, should I collect this brass?

If you enjoyed reading about "Brass problem or?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
May 2, 2013, 10:51 PM
Eh, case splits, they happen. Unless a whole batch was doing it, I wouldn't worry about it. Toss the split one(s) and reload the good ones.

gamestalker
May 2, 2013, 11:37 PM
I would certainly closely inspect the rest of them for any incipient mouth or other splits. That's a pretty nasty failure.
GS

noylj
May 2, 2013, 11:41 PM
>See attached. This is PPU ammo I use for Makarov and collect brass for reloading. I found a few cases like this. Bad brass? Almost certainly, unless it has been reloaded more than 5 times.
Bad gun? Is it your gun or brass pickup? I don't see any bad case bulge, so it still looks like a bad case.
Should I reload this brass? You can reload the brass, but not that case.
As mentioned, carefully inspect for any small case mouth crack or case bulge.

Katitmail
May 2, 2013, 11:50 PM
Right now I'm shooting factory ammo to collect brass. So it's once fired brass from my gun

SlowFuse
May 2, 2013, 11:58 PM
I have loaded a lot of PPU brass without any problems, mostly 9mm but no mak so I can't comment specifically in this caliber. A bad batch is always possible no matter what brand.

orionengnr
May 4, 2013, 12:12 AM
Do I understand that this case was once-fired, through your pistol? And there are others like it?

If so, something is very wrong here.

Start with a close examination of your barrel.

Katitmail
May 4, 2013, 12:39 AM
Yes, I've seen couple like this. This is factory ammo through my EG Makarov

gamestalker
May 4, 2013, 12:43 AM
And with factory production at the highest we've ever seen, these type of catastrophic failures are certain to be more common place than ever before. Just one more reason why I started reloading several decades ago.
I understand why some reloaders shoot factory as a means of acquiring their needed brass, but I don't personally. For starters, I just don't have enough faith in factory due to past experiences, such as this. And further more, it can't be very good for a firearm to experience a cat failure such as this.
GS

joneb
May 4, 2013, 12:49 AM
Katitmail
What gun are shooting ?
Obviously there is a problem, split cases should not be reloaded.
My thought is the load is to hot for the gun, but there could be a problem with the gun, I would not shoot this gun until the problem has been properly diagnosed.

Drail
May 4, 2013, 01:18 AM
There is a problem there.

RainDodger
May 4, 2013, 12:33 PM
If I had to guess about the cause of this problem, I'd start with the simplest explanation first, and that is not your chamber or pistol.

Start with the brass. It could be old. Old brass is going to corrode and there could be corrosion from the inside out. Anyone who has reloaded a lot has seen this kind of failure before. You toss out the brass and look carefully at the others from the same box, if you can. Reload what looks good and toss what looks bad.

Before you start blaming a pistol for something like this, you'd need to get a selection of different ammo brands and see how the cases compare after shooting. I would bet money there's nothing wrong with your pistol.

bigdaa
May 4, 2013, 12:49 PM
I do not think that brass was annealed.
If it was loaded to max pressure of 23,000 psi I suppose you could end up with that.

In my opinion, that was an egregious case split and I would toss all the brass from PPU and simply purchase some Starline to facilitate my Makarov Loading, BUT THAT IS ME!

rfwobbly
May 4, 2013, 12:59 PM
1) Could be bad heat treatment of the brass, 2) bad alloying of the brass, 3) a gouge left on the inside of the brass by the manufacturing process, or your expander die, 4) a gouge on the outside from the sizing die or chamber, 5) or other. Unless you discover a burr on your dies, there's simply no way to tell.

Typically reloaders just go ahead and reload brass until it fails. Analysis after the fact is pretty much a waste of time.

bds
May 4, 2013, 04:50 PM
Right now I'm shooting factory ammo to collect brass. So it's once fired brass from my gun
If the split cases are new factory ammo, they may had a batch of bad brass (it does happen). I would be suspicious of the entire box or boxes with the same lot number.

Once I picked up a bunch of once-fired PMC 45ACP brass and found that finished rounds failed to fully chamber while all other brand/head stamp cases did. After some head scratching and closer examination, I found other PMC cases I had did not have this problem. I realized the once-fired batch of PMC cases were softer and was collapsing/bulging out during bullet seating and failing to fully chamber. I recycled the entire batch of offending once-fired PMC cases and have not had similar problem since, even with other once-fired PMC cases.

From time to time, manufacturers may get a bad/less than desired batch of brass that do not perform as expected.

For one or several reasons, we do see ammunition being recalled:

http://www.hornady.com/in-the-news/product-recalls

http://www.winchester.com/library/news/Pages/product-recall-556mm-m855.aspx

http://www.remington.com/en/pages/news-and-resources/safety-center/safety-warning-recall-notice.aspx

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/federal-and-american-eagle-45-auto-safety-warning/

This one for cases not having flash holes - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=671316

blarby
May 4, 2013, 07:45 PM
Of note..... usually primers dont flow like that on factory pistol ammo. look very carefully around the primer strike, just past the ridge.

its possible its a play of photography....but that looks like heat flow to me !

Hondo 60
May 4, 2013, 08:54 PM
Should I reload this brass?

Obviously not the one in the picture - :eek: :D

But the rest of 'em? why not?
Cases split, sometimes on the first shot, sometimes on the 20th shot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Brass problem or?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!