New SP101 22LR

PDA

skidder
May 3, 2013, 12:27 AM
Just received this hot off the press.

I swapped out the factory grips for these Hogues. The Hogue grips really make a difference.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc456/exlogger/ruger/sp101/SPWin_zps5b62ed44.jpg

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc456/exlogger/ruger/sp101/SPFgrips_zps22ead64e.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "New SP101 22LR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WNC Seabee
May 3, 2013, 12:33 AM
Order up a Wolff spring kit too. Makes a good gun great!

skidder
May 3, 2013, 12:35 AM
Thanks WNC. I was thinking about it. The trigger pull is pretty stiff.

ID-shooting
May 3, 2013, 12:52 AM
Did yours come with the wood inserts in the factory grips? If so, how much?

ultramag44
May 3, 2013, 10:13 AM
I put the same grips on mine. The wolf spring kit is an easy upgrade.

I only used the trigger spring. The replacement hammer spring caused misfires. The trigger is a very crisp 3.0 #

I have heard these guns are hard to find. The gun was released on 9/15/11. I had my LGS order it that day. I had the gun 9/16/11 @ noon... Hard to find, I don't get it. :confused: :D ;)

460Kodiak
May 3, 2013, 10:24 AM
Nice. I got rid of my Buckmark cuz I didn't really care about it despite it being a well made gun. I plan to pick one of these up in the future. I prefer revolvers over semiautos.

Onmilo
May 3, 2013, 10:38 AM
They do make a very nice looking .22 revolver

tubeshooter
May 3, 2013, 11:06 AM
Those Hogue grips look very comfortable. I have had no problems with the factory grips, and I think the wood inserts are handsome, so I have no plans to switch. Plus I think the factory grips are a bit more pocket-friendly; YMMV.

They were/are hard to find. I had been keeping an eye out since their release, and it took a little over a year to finally land one. They seem a bit more prevalent and easier to find now than they were 18 months ago.

I have a Ruger MK III and a couple of BuckMarks, but I am a revolver guy at heart. When I found out that hyper-vel ammo is generally not recommended for most* semis, that kind of sealed the deal for me. I don't plan to part with my semis, but revolvers are my favorite.

skidder
May 3, 2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks guys.

I too prefer 22 revolvers. You can feed them anything. 22 shorts, hyper velocities, bird shot, you name it.
I'm going to put the wood panel grips on my 357. I like the idea of the smaller grips on my snub.

Whoever did the wood panels did an excellent job. Flawless.

22-rimfire
May 3, 2013, 11:39 AM
I have heard these guns are hard to find. The gun was released on 9/15/11. I had my LGS order it that day. I had the gun 9/16/11 @ noon... Hard to find, I don't get it.

I visit the better local shops on a fairly regular basis and none of them have gotten a new SP-101 in 22LR delivered other than as a special order. I honestly have never seen one in a gun shop for sale. Maybe it's a 22 thing.... I consider them a little hard to find if you want to fondle the gun before purchase.

Skidder, hope you enjoy that revolver! I have a thing for 22 revolvers as well.

460Kodiak
May 3, 2013, 02:19 PM

I'm pretty sure Altamont makes these inserts for Ruger. I love their grips, but have yet to buy any from them.

http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/ruger/#Ruger_gp100.php

I wish they made thes grips (second row middle, the Smith & Wesson J Round Oversized Fingergrooves Super Rosewood)

http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/smith_and_wesson/#Smith_and_Wesson_jframe.php

for the SP101. Love the look.

Hokkmike
May 3, 2013, 07:30 PM
There is one at my LGS. I'd be interested in your range report.

skidder
May 3, 2013, 07:55 PM
There is one at my LGS. I'd be interested in your range report.
Will do.

I plan on taking it out this weekend.

Stufftoad
May 3, 2013, 10:04 PM
I picked one up a while ago. I change the trigger spring and did a bit of polishing before I put it back together.
No misfires and pretty smooth. I'm happy enough, I'll leave the hammer spring stock.
Nice and accurate. A nice warm up to my gp100 and cheap to shoot.
It's a quality revolver in a somewhat compact size if you've never held a sp101.

My only complaint is the stock grip is a little small for my hands.
I don't like hogues. I tried eagle grips but they don't fit very well.
I wish someone made a stock style grip but just a little bigger.

Deltaboy
May 3, 2013, 10:23 PM
Wow I not seen one of those yet.

ole farmerbuck
May 4, 2013, 08:43 AM
I just bought a new SP101 a few weeks back. It's a pain to shoot with the hammer being very hard to pull back. Why are they so hard?

Hokkmike
May 4, 2013, 12:07 PM
I just bought a new SP101 a few weeks back. It's a pain to shoot with the hammer being very hard to pull back. Why are they so hard?

Just change the spring. Very easy to do. Google it and see.

I did it with my Vaquero and it worked wonders. It is a given that SASS shooters do this. At the time I paid a gunsmith $15 to do it.

But it is no big deal.

skidder
May 4, 2013, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all the good advice.

I just got done ordering the shooters pack from Wolff Gunsprings.

I noticed they have a warning on the SP page:
RUGER SP-101 REVOLVER
Important Note:
Due to changes in this gun by the manufacturer, the spring below will not function in SP101 .22 caliber rimfire models manufactured during and after 2011.

Well mine has a production date of 4/5/13. I ordered the springs anyhow because I just swapped out the spring from my 1995 SP101 357 and it worked fine. Not sure why the warning.... maybe it has to do with some legal mumbo jumbo :confused:.

DPris
May 4, 2013, 01:36 PM
Spring swaps may or may not work & are no guarantee.
The design needs a heavy firing pin strike for rimfires & changing to a lighter spring frequently causes misfires. This isn't the same deal as a centerfire SP.
Denis

skidder
May 4, 2013, 01:40 PM
Thanks Denis!

The warning did give me pause, but I figured if it don't work in my 22 I can still use it in my 357.

DPris
May 4, 2013, 01:52 PM
People have mixed success in tinkering with SPs.
I had one give a major name custom shop fits when they tried to reduce trigger pull a while back (centerfire version) and kept getting misfires.
My gunsmith says the centerfires have frequently been iffy in his experience, depending on tolerances from the factory, over the years as far as lightening pulls go.
Comment was "They usually run fine till people get to messing with 'em."

I had one of the first of the new rimfires when they came out, and still have one that replaced it when it had to go back to Ruger for a forcing cone problem. I've followed the guns on various forums & discussed it with Ruger.

Sometimes a spring change works, sometimes it doesn't.
It's just the nature of the little beast.
People try to buy it for kids & women with lesser hand strength, and it's not the best choice for those. Small frame, small parts, small geometries, small leverages.
Denis

skidder
May 4, 2013, 02:04 PM
Small frame, small parts, small geometries, small leverages.
Very good point!

I was just explaining this to my boss why the SP has a harder pull than other "larger models". When the hammer axis point is closer to the trigger and thumb rest on hammer... Single and double action pull are going to be swayed by the amount of leverage.

Thanks again Denis

DPris
May 4, 2013, 02:13 PM
Sure.
Good luck with it.
Denis

Bush Pilot
May 4, 2013, 07:49 PM
Looking forward to your range report.

R.W.Dale
May 4, 2013, 09:10 PM
I have the 22 and the matched 4.2 sp101

With regards to trigger on the 22 my blind finger cannot tell one of the pictured revolvers from the other

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/krochus/ColorTouch_zps8ae27464.jpg

rikman
May 4, 2013, 09:52 PM
Congrats...sweet wheel gun.

skidder
May 4, 2013, 11:46 PM
I put the 22 grips on my snub.

Here they are side by side.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc456/exlogger/ruger/sp101/SP22357_zps167d6463.jpg

TennJed
May 5, 2013, 03:07 AM
I have heard these guns are hard to find. The gun was released on 9/15/11. I had my LGS order it that day. I had the gun 9/16/11 @ noon... Hard to find, I don't get it. :confused: :D ;)

They were defiantly hard to find about 9 months ago in my area (not sure about now). I was looking for a 22 revolver and had my heart set on a SP101. Could not find one locally or online (except high priced on gun broker). Finally decided to get a S&W 617 from Buds. I will add I a very please with the Smith :cool:.

Nice looking SP101 you guys have BTW

robowo
May 5, 2013, 03:22 PM
I bought one of these for my wife a year and a half ago. She also found that the hammer was difficult to pull back for single action shooting. I bought the Wolff shooter's spring pack. I tried the 9 and 10 lb springs but got too many misfires. The 12 lb hammer spring in combination with the reduced power trigger return spring work excellent with no light strikes. I also polished the internal surfaces using 1,000 and 2,000 grit sandpaper. I found a small burr in the hole where the trigger return spring goes. Removing that and polishing the internal surfaces made the biggest difference and my wife loves it even more now. The effort to cock the hammer for single action is significantly reduced and much smoother now.

If you enjoyed reading about "New SP101 22LR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!