Black Rear Sight on EDC?

PDA

Bobson
May 3, 2013, 05:33 AM
I know there have been several threads lately on handgun sights, and that's actually what lead me to this point. After a very brief exchange with allaroundhunter, I decided to finally try blacking out the rear sight on my G19. I've never fired any gun with a blacked-out rear sight, so I was a bit iffy on doing it. But I went ahead and did that today... I used black eyeliner instead of a Sharpie, because I wanted to check it out without committing permanently. I have to say I like it a lot so far. Didn't shoot it like this yet, but I've decided to hit the range Saturday morning (two weeks in a row, imagine that lol), and I'm going to dedicate the morning to my G19 instead of bringing all the usual toys out.

My question is, what's the general consensus on doing this with an EDC? My G19 is my carry gun, which is why I ask. I know people seem to be fond of it, but I've just assumed that it's usually done on range toys, rather than carry guns. Anyway, I'll leave it at that for now, before I turn this into another novella.

What are your thoughts on blacking-out a rear sight on an EDC gun? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Black Rear Sight on EDC?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Inebriated
May 3, 2013, 05:52 AM
The black rear will guide your focus to the front sight, instead of trying to see both. I believe it's 9mmepiphany who said that the brain actually tries to "read" the image in front of you, which slows you down. And that's been my experience. I switched to a 10-8 black rear and a fiber optic front on my EDC guns, and I am insanely quick at getting my sight picture when drawing and after recoil now. When I compare to 3-dot and factory Glock sights, I find that I'm actively having to force my eyes to focus on the front sight, which takes time. Of course, your mileage may vary, but I've pretty much decided that I'll never shoot with anything but black rears on my defensive handguns. Night sights are good and all, but they're more distracting than not, for me. A bright light that lets me pick up the silhouette of my sights works better for me, and lets me keep a nice thin front blade, that really jumps out at me during the day with the fiber optic insert.

My G19 and G21 wear 10-8 .156" rears and .100" green FO fronts, and my G26 is wearing factory sights, but I turned the rear one around... it worked better than expected, believe it or not lol. It'll be getting the same sights once they get the FO front in-stock.

Bobson
May 3, 2013, 06:36 AM
Great response man, I appreciate the detail. Do you happen to know what size the factory Glock front sight is? I've been giving some minor consideration to getting one that's just a little bit bit thinner, when I make the move to aftermarkets (since I hate the U-notch anyway).

Inebriated
May 3, 2013, 06:56 AM
I just realized I said "me" way too much in my post lol.

Anyway, Glock front sights are about .152", if I remember right. The rear notch is also narrower than the front. It's something like .140". They're good for precision, but not so much speed. THIS (http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/Name890/sightpicture_zps4505381f.png)is the sight picture on my 19. For my eyes, its ideal.

Bobson
May 3, 2013, 07:05 AM
I didn't notice until you pointed it out. :p

Excellent. Thanks a bunch.

Inebriated
May 3, 2013, 07:11 AM
No problem.

WC145
May 3, 2013, 08:08 AM
I like a black rear sight with a dot of some sort in front and have several guns set up that way. When you're shooting the focus is on the front sight, the rear pretty much just acts like a guide to assure the front is aligned and at the proper elevation and once you've acquired the front that only takes a split second. No sense in cluttering up the works with a bunch of extra marks to distract your eye.

camsdaddy
May 3, 2013, 09:38 AM
Oddly I blacked out the rear sight on my 26 last night. I shoot xs on my 19 and my other guns are fixed sighted revolvers with painted front sights. I also shoot my 22A s&w with complete black sights very well. When I read the topic all I thought was I guess we will see. If I like it I will probably go with a different front sight and turn the rear sight around.

Blackstone
May 3, 2013, 09:43 AM
The most accurate sights are black on black. Guns that Olympic shooters use all have totally black sights. A marked front sight, eg. fibre-optic bead, is used for faster acquisition of the sight. I don't believe marked rear sights offer anything.

allaroundhunter
May 3, 2013, 10:02 AM
Looks like you're coming around, Bobson ;)

I think you would like it even more if you added a TFO front sight because then you have a fiber optic during the day, and tritium in lowlights. I'm not sure, however, what blacked out rear sight would be compatible with the TFO front.... After finals I'll probably look into it more.

mdauben
May 3, 2013, 11:18 AM
My question is, what's the general consensus on doing this with an EDC?
I love black on black sights for bullseye target shooting on the range. Nothing else is as clear or precise in such conditions. For "combat" shooting, however, I prefer outline or dot sights. I find them generally much quicker to aquire and align, and generally more forgiving of poor lighting/sighting conditions (try aiming at someone wearing dark clothing in dim light with black sights to see what I mean). YMMV, of course.

InkEd
May 3, 2013, 11:55 AM
I have black rear sights and white front sights too. I like it a lot.

MICHAEL T
May 3, 2013, 12:41 PM
I went to black rear while back As I got older I realized was talking to long with old eyes to play line up dots.

It works good if your front sight is a night site also I first experienced this on a Ed Brown Sheriff Wilson . It came with only front night sight. That got me tying other guns with the 3 dot . I have blacked out all my rear sight 3 got now.

CSG
May 3, 2013, 12:55 PM
I painted the front ramp of my 442 flat white, blacked out the rear of my PM9, and painted the front ramp of my LCP flat white (it also is equipped with a laser).

I think for defensive shooting you want to focus on the front sight only. Target shooting is another thing.

Interesting comment earlier about all black sights being the most accurate.

smalls
May 3, 2013, 12:56 PM
My Spartan came with all black front/back sights. I painted the front red, and left the back black. I get on target pretty damn quick, and the back sight isn't slowing me down by drawing too much if my attention to it.

KevinB
May 3, 2013, 01:20 PM
I much prefer blacked out rear sights on my handguns, especially those in a defensive role. I can aquire the front sight much faster when using them. My first experience with them was while taking a weekend class. Towards the end of the first day I was amazed at how well I was picking up and tracking my front site. I found myself basically "ignoring" the rear, and just focusing on the front sight in the notch. It's hard to describe but after that I was sold. I run blacked out 10-8 rears and a tritium front on my glocks.

The black rear will guide your focus to the front sight, instead of trying to see both. I believe it's 9mmepiphany who said that the brain actually tries to "read" the image in front of you, which slows you down.

This is explains it perfectly, and better than I did. I realized all that stuff on the rear sight isn't important, it's distracting IMO. You don't need to see the rear sight, you just need a reference point for the front.

9mmepiphany
May 3, 2013, 02:15 PM
I think for defensive shooting you want to focus on the front sight only. Target shooting is another thing.
It is the same for target shooting

Interesting comment earlier about all black sights being the most accurate.
All black sights have always been the most accurate...until you get into optical sights. A front dot, be it paint, fiber optic, gold/brass bead or radioactive lamp isn't an aiming point. It is to aid in picking up the front sight...to draw your eye...as you bring the gun up.

As you become a more skilled shooter, your eyes perceive the relationship between the front and rear sight and it's relationship to the intended target...you're really seeing them without looking at them...to cue the trigger press.

It is very common in accuracy intensive Action Pistol competition...like the Bianchi Cup or PPC...to blacken the sights even more, with carbide smoke, to make them stand out against the black target

If you enjoyed reading about "Black Rear Sight on EDC?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!