inexpensive improvised rattlesnake and zombie killing weapon.

PDA

Shifty
May 4, 2013, 02:53 AM
Ok so here's my dilemma...... recently moved out of the city and my new property is infested with rattlers. Most of the time I spot them on the large gravel area surrounding the house, or the back patio. I've been dispatching them with a shovel or hoe, but neither are well suited for a clean downward thrust. Especially being used one handed, as I need to use something else to pin the squirmy biting bastard down.

so, my question is there a tool that I could buy at a local hardware store that could do all this in a better, more simple matter? I have a decent machete, but thats a little close for me, and the gravel and concrete where I do most of the executions would mess up the blade. I was thinking something similar to a monks spade, but they dont seem to have any in stock :)

any ideas or recommendations greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "inexpensive improvised rattlesnake and zombie killing weapon." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Owlnmole
May 4, 2013, 03:28 AM
Not trying to be a smart a$$, but given the theme of this forum, perhaps a gun would be a better solution? A single-shot, break-open shotgun is simple, light, cheap and would allow you to kill the beasties from a safe distance. If noise is a concern or for some other reason you prefer not to have an actual firearm, there are plenty of air guns that would do the job neatly and quietly, I'd recommend a good break-barrel .22 cal pellet gun with a 4x scope.

Texan Scott
May 4, 2013, 03:36 AM
http://www.coldsteel.com/images/products/97THM_m.jpg

(More reach)

Bobson
May 4, 2013, 03:55 AM
Get an electric grinder, and sharpen a shovel you're willing to dedicate to this task. You might also consider a trenching shovel. Grab a hammer and flatten the scoop, then sharpen as mentioned above. You now have a makeshift poleaxe.

That ought to take care of those pesky ...snakes. :barf:

allaroundhunter
May 4, 2013, 04:28 AM
Honestly..... This is the first and only time that I will recommend this. Get yourself a Judge or Governor. This is the only application where I have used the gun and it shines in this role.

If you can find one used then they shouldn't be too expensive. It will also last you longer than any tool that you continually thrust into rock.

Aside from that, I just use a shovel with a large handle. It doesn't take a sharp shovel to remove the head of one of the suckers.

Either way, be very careful. Even if you separate the head from the body, it can still bite and inject venom. Once you cut it off, dig a small hole and bury the head immediately.

Cooldill
May 4, 2013, 04:32 AM
Get an NEF .410 single shot. Use a light field load for snakes and buckshot/slugs for zombies. I would recommend one of those elastic cuffs to hold extra shells on the stock, a standard rifle cuff should work for .410 shells. You could also cut down the barrel to 18 1/2" for a really compact and light package. I did this same thing to a 12 gauge version, it's about the lightest and smallest 12 gauge shotgun you could find/make without any type of stamp, but man it really kicks like a mule with buck or slugs. Birdshot loads are manageable though.

This set up will give you good stand-off distance from the snake and you can find these guns for about 100 bucks at most locations. Much more economical than a judge or governor for what you need it for.

SDC
May 4, 2013, 04:54 AM
In Africa, the most common thing used for this is a stiff whip called a "sjambok" ("shambok"), which can cut a snake in half when you hit it right. Over there, these are made by weaving strips of hide into a cane shape, but Cold Steel makes a synthetic version that will do the same thing for about 15 dollars. Or, you could use one of those fibreglass rods that they use for marking driveways, etc., cut off to a comfortable length and wrap a handle out of tape.

Silverado6x6
May 4, 2013, 07:21 AM
Get a fiberglass round light bulb installer, it is a pole that has fingers to grip round bulbs at higher ceilings to twist and remove.

Jaymo
May 4, 2013, 11:33 AM
Mmmmm. Fried rattlesnake. Tasty.

M-Cameron
May 4, 2013, 12:11 PM
what about something like a lawn edger sharpened up with a file/ angle grinder?

http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore.com/83-525-lawn-edgers/lawn-edger-183939.aspx

Sol
May 4, 2013, 12:28 PM
You probably already have one...a lawnmower.

ricebasher302
May 4, 2013, 12:42 PM
what about something like a lawn edger sharpened up with a file/ angle grinder?

http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore...er-183939.aspx

I vote for this ^ or the NEF .410

danez71
May 4, 2013, 12:51 PM
I bought some very similar to this at home depot. Mine has an aluminum handle whereas this one is fiberglass. The fiber glass one is lighter.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc387/h_d2/Navigation?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Texan Scott
May 4, 2013, 03:40 PM
I would definitely advocate a .410, but he may NEED to avoid using things that go boom, as he lives in a more- or- less contiguous suburb of Fresno. (Actually, the Taurus Judge et al might be illegal there for all I know- wouldn't surprise me).

And actually, the sharpened lawn edging tool is a great idea.

conw
May 4, 2013, 03:48 PM
You probably already have one...a lawnmower.

Could sling a dangerous snake in an unpredictable direction.

Coop45
May 4, 2013, 04:44 PM
What's wrong with a snake stick?

bob barker
May 4, 2013, 05:16 PM
Flame thrower?
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii579/golfpro011/310dbaba6bf233823f1492010d5af729_zps6c9c88b7.jpg

Texan Scott
May 4, 2013, 05:33 PM
"And in other news, authorities have now determined the the 30,000 acre Fresno County wildfire was started with a Vietnam-era flamethrower by a local man with an apparently pathological fear of snakes. Now, with the rest of the report, here's a midget wearing a bikini."
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash3/c64.0.384.384/s160x160/14095_117615314930654_98303_n.jpg

kBob
May 4, 2013, 06:37 PM
Bush axe. Lowes or Home Depot.

Lawn mower? Been there, seen it done. Never want to be there and see it done again. Snake was a Cotton Mouth next to Lake Seminole. Most of it came out the ejector chute, but bits and pieces went everywhere from under the whole perimeter of the mower. Whole work detail scattered like crazy.

-kBob

OilyPablo
May 4, 2013, 06:41 PM
I second the low cost .410.

DeTerminator
May 4, 2013, 07:02 PM
I vote for the shovel.

jmr40
May 4, 2013, 07:48 PM
Not trying to be a smart a$$, but given the theme of this forum, perhaps a gun would be a better solution?

Well, it is posted in the "Non-Firearms" section.

I've used a shovel or hoe on several occasions. A machete is a little closer than I want to be with a rattlesnake.

jbkebert
May 4, 2013, 08:10 PM
A cattle stick snapped in a whip action or a lariat rope doubled over itself and snapped like a whip. It just crushes snakes flat and I mean flat. Smack them hard on top of or behind the head. I have killed dozens of snakes this way and they were all over with very quick.

http://xpranch.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/img1487stocksticklength.jpg.w560h50.jpg

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/SLX730.JPG

DNS
May 4, 2013, 08:19 PM
Fence it off and let loose some hogs.
Your snake problem will go away.

Gadawg88
May 4, 2013, 08:23 PM
bob barker + 1

Hell air e us. Needed a good laugh. Thanks.

Nomination for post of the day.

rondog
May 4, 2013, 08:24 PM
Shotgun!

Sam Cade
May 4, 2013, 10:02 PM
a lariat rope doubled over itself and snapped like a whip.

Dang.

That would be decisive. Whump!

Bad snakes 'round here usually get it in the neck from whatever machete,big chopper or 'baccer knife is at hand since you pretty much have to have a blade to get through the briars.

jbkebert
May 4, 2013, 10:37 PM
If you double the lariat rope over itself and swing it overhand then hard down. It puts a tremendous amount of smack on anything. I am not suggesting doing a Indiana Jones impression.

rcmodel
May 4, 2013, 10:58 PM
My old boss always went mushroom hunting in copperhead country with a #5 driver out of his golf bag.

He died of old age at 90+.
So a golf club must work.

Myself, I prefer a .38 Spl with CCI shot-shells.

Or a roof scraper if they are laying on the wood deck sunning themselves.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/janitorial-maintenance/garden-tools/shovels-spades/scrapers-1646300?utm_source=biz_shop&utm_medium=shp&utm_term=B323851&utm_campaign=Shovels-Spades-biz_shop&infoParam.campaignId=WZ

rc

ROAshooter
May 4, 2013, 11:49 PM
there is nothing wrong with an old fasion hoe....kept razor sharp with a fine file....long enough reach to be safe...does not require reloading

Gordon
May 5, 2013, 01:39 AM
As far as the Zombie killing part: when I landed a very lucrative job as diesel generator engineer for the international Atomic energy commission deactivation of the North Korean reactor I resolved I would never go peacefully into a prison.:)to that end I always had one of these with the bevel carefully sharpened for 18" and the 6" of the end rounded
http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/Precision-Measuring-Tools/Precision-Hand-Tools/Precision-Rules,-Straight/Straight-Edges/385-24

And a roll of duct tape :evil:
Sons ofguns woulda had to shoot me. :neener:
As it was they politely asked us to pack up and go.:confused:

Idon'tthink I will be going back FWIW:D

Bobson
May 5, 2013, 01:42 AM
"And in other news, authorities have now determined the the 30,000 acre Fresno County wildfire was started with a Vietnam-era flamethrower by a local man with an apparently pathological fear of snakes. Now, with the rest of the report, here's a midget wearing a bikini."
Superb. :)

USAF_Vet
May 5, 2013, 01:54 AM
Sidewalk ice scraper.

Long handle, wide high strength blade. Good for beheading snakes and zombies.

hso
May 5, 2013, 09:44 AM
A long handled flat shovel should be nearly ideal for this purpose.

I suggest trying a strong spray bottle with ammonia that can spray a narrow stream several feet to keep you well away from the animal and avoid alerting it to your presenced. Do not spray the animal, but spray the ground near it to drive it away from the area. You don't want it in defensive mode where it might "stand" its ground against the offensive spray.

The advantage of a firearm is the ability to maintain a safe distance, but the risk of ricochet is a very real hazard.

btg3
May 5, 2013, 10:02 AM
I was thinking something similar to a monks spade...
per your own idea and ships next day...
http://www.martialartsmart.com/45-84wu.html?gclid=CNCP75OP_7YCFcw7Ogod3AkAiA

Or the hardware store version...
http://www.target.com/p/smith-hawken-premium-quality-solid-forged-edging-knife-with-t-handle/-/A-13010640#prodSlot=dlp_medium_1_3&term=edger

But I think the blade is too rounded and the snake head might slip to either side, thus this...
http://www.target.com/p/smith-hawken-premium-quality-solid-forged-border-spade/-/A-13010638

j1
May 5, 2013, 10:06 AM
An ice chopper has a shovel length wooden handle and a sharp steel blade. Just what you are looking for. Good luck.

jeepnik
May 5, 2013, 12:43 PM
Well now fellows, since some one mentioned the lariat, I figure the OP could just buy a really, really, really long (or tie together some normal lengths of) horse hair rope. Just make a complete circle around the property, kill off those remaining inside the circle and relax. Cuz we all know that snakes won't crawl across a horse hair rope.:neener:

Oh, by the way, guns like the Judge are illegal in California. Firing a firearm inside the city limits, or within a regulated distance of inhabited dwellings and a few other laws would get the OP printed, photographed and strip searched.

The best tool would be a sharpened hoe. You've got the critter our reached, and a good whack will chop it into a couple or so pieces. But, just make sure it isn't a protected species.

Shanghai McCoy
May 5, 2013, 02:13 PM
A hoe if you can't use the .410...

btg3
May 5, 2013, 02:45 PM
But, just make sure it isn't a protected species.
Fine can run up to $500.

Water-Man
May 5, 2013, 03:38 PM
A hoe.

No, not that kind of hoe.:o

Texan Scott
May 5, 2013, 05:48 PM
And give her a shovel.

DeTerminator
May 5, 2013, 05:51 PM
A hoe would work just fine, but I'd still go with the long-handled shovel. A
heavier head, compared to a hoe. Then, you start to get into the faster speed with a lighter- head hoe, verses the slightly slower shovel. I'm thinking one good smack is all you need. I would feel more confident with a shovel in my hands.

Anyway, a shovel is more versatile than a hoe, I think. If I had to choose between a hoe, or a shovel, for anything, I'd grab the shovel. That's just my opinion, though. Unless I had a more specialized "hoe" job in the garden.:D

DeTerminator
May 5, 2013, 08:33 PM
I think that a hoe would be good, but not the absolute best. There is some distance involved with both, which is good. To decapitate the critter with a hoe would take an over-head strike. Otherwise, a hoe could be used to push it away, with a straight forward thrust. With a shovel, the strongest effort would involve a direct thrust, with the tip of the pointed shovel down, could take off it's head, or push it away, if you were gentle. The shovel wins, in my opinion. More gun for the money. That's my bet. Sharpening the head is opitional, but not essential, I think.

Texan Scott
May 5, 2013, 08:45 PM
:p If I'm 'bout to watch a heated debate between grown men yellin about garden tools to kill things with no legs, imma get me a lawn chair an some popcorn! :D

M-Cameron
May 5, 2013, 08:48 PM
alright......after reading through everyone suggestions.....i think ive found the perfect tool for the job....

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Rocket-Propelled-Shovel-Launcher.jpg

Texan Scott
May 5, 2013, 08:50 PM
^ righteous.

DeTerminator
May 5, 2013, 09:10 PM
I think that a little reptile critter ain't gonna scare me me much, how about you?

Texan Scott
May 5, 2013, 10:56 PM
I think that a little reptile critter ain't gonna scare me me much, how about you?
I'll tell y'all a story about my bravery, and every word is true.

Last time I saw a snake, it was spring and I had a LAWN with actual grass. Lush, green, cross-grain cut grass, and I was PROUD of the silly thing.

I had just mown about two hours prior, and saw in the dusky light of late sunset that one of the kids had thrown a big STICK right into the middle of my lawn. I went to pick it up and toss it, and when my hand was about two feet away, it reared up, showed fangs, and HISSED.

I jumped straight back about three feet, and made a noise that sounded like a six year old girl impersonating all three Stooges at once. I grabbed the nearest thing handy, an old cinder block, and heaved it overhead, two handed, like Chuck Heston hurling down the ten commandments. I actually hit it, pinned it down about six inches below the head.

Still making Stooge noises, I ran inside and grabbed a baseball bat. Ran back outside, squatted about four feet away, and clubbed it six times over the head with adrenaline fueled rapidity, like BamBam on the Flintstones ... *BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*. I looked at the pulpy mess, made a very unmanly noise, and clubbed it six more times, *BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*, for good measure.

I cut its head off with my pocket knife, grabbed a hoe, used it to tip off the cinder block (ain't touchin' it!), scooped up the body, and ran ALL THE WAY TO THE STREET, holding it out in front of me like it was an egg-on-a-spoon race, and dropped it down a sewer drain. Then I ran back, scooped up the head, and ran it to the street the same way, and dropped it down a DIFFERENT sewer drain,
JUST. IN. CASE.

The gun on my right hip never came into play.

OilyPablo
May 5, 2013, 11:03 PM
Texan Scott - I laughed very hard at that. Out loud. :D

I have a similar story. When I lived in So. Oregon the place was infested with rattlers (we don't have them here, too cool). I walked in the breezeway one day between the shop and garage - big ol' rattler. I grabbed a shovel and swung it like a chimp who never used a hammer before. Straight overhead. One shot. Head was flat.

I think it's human instinct. Built in.

P.B.Walsh
May 5, 2013, 11:15 PM
Texan Scott for post of the YEAR!

allaroundhunter
May 5, 2013, 11:21 PM
So, Scott.... All that assaulting the snake had to take a toll on your beautiful yard, now didn't it? :neener:

Texan Scott
May 5, 2013, 11:25 PM
LOL ... still better than a flame-thrower. :p

TimboKhan
May 5, 2013, 11:43 PM
Intellectually, I understand the snake is not an inherently evil creature with no particular ill will towards me. The reality is that I am scared to death of snakes. It's not rational, it may not make sense, but in my soul they give me the screaming blue willies.

I will typically let them go their way if I see them, but I won't hesitate to kill a snake if I have to. That tolerance level is lower with venomous snakes and non existent with the 6.5 foot rattlers I saw in Texas last year. Incidentally, our guide killed them with a folding chair(???).

Texan Scott
May 5, 2013, 11:55 PM
A folding chair... well, if it's as long as I am and thick as my forearm, I'll beat it to death with whatever's handy. Was he running in circles with it, screaming "Woo- woo- woo- woo, yehRERerEReh!"?

'Cuz I would be.

v8stang289
May 6, 2013, 10:09 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/DasBlade.jpg

bush-ax or kaiser blade or whatever you want to call it. Can usually get em at the local hardware store or lowes or home depot and they work great for clearing brush and killing snakes.

Carl N. Brown
May 6, 2013, 10:26 AM
Ripley in Aliens: "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

If that is cost prohibitive, when I have been paranoid about snakes particularly copperheads (sneakier than rattlers and almost as deadly as cottonmouths), I find comfort in a M6 Scout with a CCI .45 Colt shotshell under a CCI .22 shotshell.

Boots and loose jeans (so a snake can get a mouthful of cloth on a strike) plus situational awareness outdoors. I learned to lift boards, etc., outdoors so if there was anything underneath its path of escape was away from me.

The horror story I recall in this context is the family who found in the springtime their new home had been built over a den where copperheads wintered.

btg3
May 6, 2013, 02:18 PM
All well and good for the snakes thus far. But don't overlook that the OP said the weapon must also take care of zombies.

Lunie
May 6, 2013, 03:07 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-lb-splitting-maul-with-fiberglass-handle-93758.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_7163.jpg

'Nuff Said.

JShirley
May 6, 2013, 03:22 PM
It doesn't seem really fair to call a species that is unlikely to kill anything other than small rodents, reptiles, and amphibians "deadly".

"They are not aggressive snakes...They rarely strike unless stepped on or handled...In a recent 10-year study, 308 copperhead bites were reported. Not a single person died from the copperhead bite."
http://www.caes.uga.edu/publications/pubDetail.cfm?pk_id=

"Many studies have been conducted on snakebites...About 4,000 to 7,000 snakebites are reported in the United States annually out of an estimated 45,000 that occur. Deaths from snakebite of any kind are rare, averaging about 10 to 15 per year. A 1954 Virginia study found that copperheads comprised 119 of the 134 snakebites reported between 1941 and 1953. A study of 400 copperhead bites found that only two incidences resulted in death, both due to simultaneous bites by 3 or more snakes. Bites occur on the extremities 95% of the time (56% on the hand) largely because about 40% of all bites occur from handling pets or attempting to capture snakes in the wild."
http://hikersnotebook.net/Copperhead

Interesting and informative reading from a fellow shooter:
http://ectotherms.net/kyherpsoc/copperheadob.htm

John

Shanghai McCoy
May 6, 2013, 05:27 PM
JShirley,
You are technically right but they are SNAKES!!!!!!

" Snakes... Why does it always have to be Snakes ?"
:D

DeTerminator
May 6, 2013, 05:44 PM
I guess I don't have the snake phobia. I had three of them for pets, so maybe that's why.

I still think a shovel could dispatch a snake, or zombie, and bury them after. Pretty versatile...:):):)

btg3
May 6, 2013, 06:15 PM
I had three of them for pets,
Had? Anywhere near the Everglades?

DeTerminator
May 6, 2013, 06:49 PM
Nah, I'm in Wisconsin. One was an albino King Snake,( Slash) about 3 feet long. One was a boa (Krush), about 6 feet long. The biggest one was Simba, an African Rock Python (about 9 feet long, tops). They all behaved themselves. Turned out that there was a city ordinance against "dangerous animals in the city limits", which I didn't know about when I got them at the local pet shop. An incident involving law enforcement brought them into the spotlight, and I was cited and fined for possessing them, and had to get rid of them. A person in a town 7 miles away adopted them. They were legal over there. Crazy stuff going on.

conw
May 6, 2013, 07:12 PM
kaiser blade or whatever you want to call it.

I call it a sling blade...some folks call it a kaiser blade. Mm hmm.

Texan Scott
May 6, 2013, 07:56 PM
My concern is not that a snakebite could kill me... that's highly, highly unlikely.
Hours and hours of excruciating pain, days of feeling weak and ill, a weeks' wages lost, and tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills? That's not exactly harmless, either. I'm still gonna squeal and slash/ crush/ beat/ burn/ shoot/ mangle them. To death. Repeatedly, if not more.

conw
May 6, 2013, 08:00 PM
^ I get that if they are on your property. In some random patch of woods off-property, not so much.

Texan Scott
May 6, 2013, 08:20 PM
Well, a random run in with a random snake in a random wood patch, ok... we'll go our separate ways, and never see each other again. If it lives under my porch, it's gonna be a recurring problem unless YEEEEEEEEEK! *BOOM* somebody addresses the issue in a calm, well thought-out manner.

greyling22
May 10, 2013, 11:01 PM
A rock.

kentucky_Dave
May 10, 2013, 11:38 PM
I'll second the flame thrower.

weaponhead
May 11, 2013, 12:58 PM
try a sjambok?? they are cheap....:D

ThorinNNY
May 12, 2013, 01:59 PM
Hmm, reading this thread started me wondering just how much voltage you`d need to kill a snake with an extra long, ultra high powered cattle prod like device.Might turn mean Mr Snake into a crispy fried snack if done right :cool:

Noah
May 12, 2013, 02:56 PM
This thread, and the thread about Missouri passing the laws protecting the 2nd Amendment, made my day.

SuperNaut
May 19, 2013, 11:02 AM
When I worked on a farm in NM I killed thousands of rattlers with a lawn edger. I cut the handle down to about half the length. After a while you kind of get a feel for their strike distance.

http://aws.bettymills.com.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/store/images/product/500/760-61108.eps.jpg

Don't bother sharpening it too much, after a couple of kills in dirt/sand it'll be dull again anyway.

Carl N. Brown
May 20, 2013, 08:25 AM
post #59
Study of 308 copperhead bites reported with no fatalities.
Study of 400 copperhead bites reported with two fatalities both involving 3 or more snakes.

Most of what we feel about snakebite is based on what we heard ultimately from our great-grandparents who lived in a time when the nearest hospital was days not hours away.

The 3 or more snakes reminds me of:
(a) the folks who discovered their house had been built over the wintering den for the local copperheads, and
(b) the club members who prepared to pour an asphalt floor for the bottom firing range: when they removed the old concrete slab, at least seven copperheads slithered away into the nearby brook.

dbb1776
May 20, 2013, 08:32 AM
SuperNaut nailed it. Cheap, effective, long reach, anyone can go get it without training. No muss no Fuss.
Please take time to identify good snakes from poisonous.
But don't get bit trying to figure it out.

X-JaVeN-X
May 28, 2013, 12:27 AM
The first thing that popped in my head was this...I lol'd thinking about someone running around killing snakes with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hfLZozBVpM

Dirty Bob
June 7, 2013, 08:26 AM
I vote for the shovel. The PERFECT shovel, IMHO, could be made by putting the head of a Cold Steel SF shovel on a regular-length handle, then sharpening to a somewhat sharp edge with a file. The finished product might look like a spear with a broad blade.

You can gently scoop a reptile out of the way, you can thrust/decapitate with the point, or you can go all Texan Scott and use it like a poleaxe. If you plan to go the TS route, wrap the handle/blade area with a layer of thin, galvanized wire to reinforce it. IMHO, the Texan Scott method would be the most satisfying.

TS: Your post about the snake encounter had me howling with laughter! I think my response might have been similar if I encountered a snake like that.

As a backup, I'm really loving my little Yildiz .410 folding (!) single shot, from Academy for $129. It's 3.3 pounds, with a 28" barrel. Weight-wise, that's close to the old Snake Charmer, but with a much more conventional look. It's hammerless, so I keep it open until the moment of shooting. Close. Shoot. Open. Reload. Simple. I don't really need the safety with a gun this simple. Just keep it open until ready to fire.

Best wishes,
Dirty Bob

Deltaboy
June 8, 2013, 03:27 PM
Any of the things posted will work . Shoot I beat one to death with a doubled over length of 12-3 extension cord.

OilyPablo
June 8, 2013, 03:28 PM
I beat one to death with a doubled over length of 12-3 extension cord.

Video of that would have gone viral.

BNDIT 1
June 8, 2013, 06:09 PM
I'd move! Snakes scare the crap out of me.

PapaGrune
June 8, 2013, 06:35 PM
I know some people are going to say I am nuts but hogs. Thats right, hogs. I grew. Up in south eastern Texas. We had 100ac. The house barns ect were in a 5 ac area. The hogs had free range but had there pens at the barn. No snakes, the house was fenced. . No snakes. The hogs ate the snakes, I was told the large fat are what kept the snake from having any effect on them. My sister lives on part of it with out having a hog and she has snakes. So you dicde.

Lj1941
June 8, 2013, 06:47 PM
Maybe no one dies but it makes a very painful wound.I had a good friend who was bitten by a Copperhead and received immediate emergency care in a hospital ER. He was admitted and treated for several days and it got really bad and painful.The doctors had never seen a snakebite before.He ended up being transfered to a Level 1 trauma center where he spent several weeks . All in all it was an experience he could have done without. I don't like them either so every one that I come in contact with will be dealt with severely by me by what ever means available.:evil:

brainwake
June 10, 2013, 02:55 PM
The wife killed a rattler with a Ford Expedition just last night on the way home......it went pop! She almost scored twice a mile down the way....but it changed directions at the last instant.

JShirley
June 10, 2013, 04:34 PM
Hogs are well-known snake eaters.

Katagelan
July 14, 2013, 09:43 AM
The first snake you catch can be used as a sjambok against the others.

hso
July 14, 2013, 11:33 AM
You need to put ;) after that statement or you end up with this :scrutiny: :rolleyes: reaction.

BLB68
July 14, 2013, 05:01 PM
Get some large king snakes to eat the rattlesnakes. Fight fire with fire. :D

DDeegs
July 15, 2013, 11:19 AM
A pet mongoose , Ricki Tici Tavi :D

Dan

xjsnake
July 15, 2013, 11:30 AM
Do note that in most states it is illegal to kill snakes.

Not sure that THR is really about promoting illegal activities...

Dirty Bob
July 15, 2013, 07:52 PM
Saw something in the movie Machete recently. Danny Trejo ties several medical devices (scalpels and the like) to the end of a cord and uses it like a flail.

For someone with a martial arts background, especially, one or more light "beaters" on the end of a light chain would be capable of quickly ending the life of a snake: probably with a single blow, if it landed in the head or just behind it.

I would make the beater(s) of square steel stock, perhaps 1/2" square and maybe 4" in length. A lighter beater will be easier to control and may even hit harder, because it's moving faster. Some experimentation would be in order, to make sure. This anti-snake device would be similar to a Chinese nine-section steel whip.

Silly? You bet. I wouldn't want to be caught with this device, so I would use it only on my own land. Its one claim to practicality is that it can go in the pocket for carry. Otherwise, a hoe or a long stick or a shovel seems a better choice.

Submitted with a goofy grin,
Dirty Bob

craftsman
July 19, 2013, 12:33 PM
I second the Sjambok http://www.cafepress.com/meijin3.651778457

54 in. length; $27 +S&H
http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/95SLB/SJAMBOK_54_BLACK.aspx

JShirley
July 20, 2013, 10:46 AM
xj,

I believe it's more accurate to say it's illegal to kill snakes that are not a threat- and considering how benificial they are, of course those are the only ones we should kill anyway...Here are a few of the state laws.

http://www.herpsofarkansas.com/Herp/Laws
http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Plants_Wildlife/ssss_snakes.asp
http://www.azgfd.gov/faq/LawsRegulations.shtml

Bob, years ago, I bought a lightweight cane for Byron, when he was recovering from a stroke. It was made of a high-strength but slightly whippy material. I found it too light for serious self-defense against humans or other large animals, but it would work fine for defense against poisonous snakes.

Again, native snakes are beneficial, and should only be killed if they're an immediate
threat.

John

Dirty Bob
July 20, 2013, 12:55 PM
Again, native snakes are beneficial, and should only be killed if they're an immediate threat.
John

100% agreement. It's often easier to avoid them on trails, etc, and they eat rodents. In the yard is another story. Friends have had rattlesnakes or copperheads on their porch, on their walkway, etc., but so far, we haven't had any poisonous ones so close to home. The cats once killed and dragged a harmless 3-foot-long snake in through the cat door and left it on the kitchen floor, though. My wife found it. :eek:

Regards,
Dirty Bob

hso
July 21, 2013, 12:59 AM
Do note that in most states it is illegal to kill snakes.

Those laws also come with the exception for where the homeowner is threatened. In the wild it is illegal, but exceptions are made for protecting livestock.

rcmodel
July 21, 2013, 01:48 AM
Do note that in most states it is illegal to kill snakes.What 'most states' is that??

Here in Kansas, a snake in my turf is a Rattlesnake, or a Copperhead.
Until I'D'ed and proven not guilty, after his head is cut or shot off!

If they are roaming around the farm house, barns, or yard??

Sorry snake, but you were a snake sneaking in the wrong place for a snake to sneak.

I have to laugh at the TV shows about the Florida snake wranglers rounding up poisonous snakes & 15-20 foot invasive species in peoples yards.

Here in these parts, a .22, a shotgun, or a shovel is cheaper then a 'Venom Treatment Regimen' at the ER for yourself, or your animals.

And my state law agrees with that.

rc

JShirley
July 21, 2013, 09:04 AM
RC, in most states it is against the law to kill nonpoisonous snakes. Where do you find in your state law that it's legal?

According to Kansas State University ( http://www.wildlife.ksu.edu/p.aspx?tabid=44), it's not legal. I'm interested to see the law you referenced. Research shows that there are at least 5 Kansas snakes on the Kansas Nongame and Endangered Species list. Kansas law says you can kill them on your property IF you follow all applicable Federal laws and the Kansas Nongame and Endangered Species Conservation Act AND make a reasonable effort to handle them without killing them. Killing any snake first and looking at it later is bad for the world and illegal. Even in Kansas.

John

xjsnake
July 21, 2013, 10:45 AM
That's the case in TN (where you are) but not true for other states.

Michigan and Ohio for example have fines and jail time as punishment for the killing of snakes regardless of 'threat'.

hso
July 21, 2013, 02:00 PM
RC,

Better be very careful about what snake you kill since KS has many protected species that can land you a hefty fine. Those don't include rattlesnakes or copperheads, but "guilty until proven dead" is a foolish approach to dealing with snakes considering their beneficial role in controlling vermin.

RTR_RTR
July 21, 2013, 02:27 PM
RC, in most states it is against the law to kill nonpoisonous snakes. Where do you find in your state law that it's legal?

According to Kansas State University, it's not legal. I'm interested to see the law you referenced. Research shows that there are at least 5 Kansas snakes on the Kansas Nongame and Endangered Species list. Kansas law says you can kill them on your property IF you follow all applicable Federal laws and the Kansas Nongame and Endangered Species Conservation Act AND make a reasonable effort to handle them without killing them. Killing any snake first and looking at it later is bad for the world and illegal. Even in Kansas.

John

As someone who hates snakes... I would let nonpoisonous snakes go regardless of the law. Even without the broad ecobubble viewpoint, the more nonvenomous snakes there are to eat up the rodent food supply, the harder it is for the venomous snakes to find food.

SuperNaut
July 21, 2013, 02:33 PM
Guys, the OP is about poisonous snakes and subsequent conversation is about poisonous snakes, it is not illegal in most states to kill poisonous snakes.

Additionally, "Nuisance Snakes" don't need to be poisonous, they just need to be a nuisance. Let's not pretend that people in this thread are going out and massacring snakes for fun.

Deltaboy
July 21, 2013, 07:39 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/DasBlade.jpg

bush-ax or kaiser blade or whatever you want to call it. Can usually get em at the local hardware store or lowes or home depot and they work great for clearing brush and killing snakes.
They are great for brush clearing also.

jrdolall
July 21, 2013, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't worry all that much about the rattlers I can see as they aren't that agile and aren't that hard to kill. A stick, rock, shovel, hoe, .410, snake shot, 50 cal and a lot of other things are fine for shooting snakes. .22 snake shot will work fine and you can easily get within 5 feet of a lounging rattler.
Either way you are eventually going to have to find where they are nesting and wipe them out because once they are successful in breeding they will make lots of baby snakes that you don't see so easily and that little one footer will make you have a very bad day.
Rattlers in any numbers hanging around the house are a bad deal and I am not the least bit afraid of snakes. I have no problem catching a rattler and have done so many times using a stick. I don't make it a habit and I carry snake shot for my truck 9mm everywhere I go.

alaskanativeson
July 22, 2013, 10:16 AM
I second the idea of an ice chopper (http://hometownusastores.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=16&products_id=1661). There are several sizes and styles available.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g235/Rodgersplace/92201_zps74813321.jpg

b.thomas
July 23, 2013, 04:44 AM
An old Texan I use to know would swear by a garden hoe, especially one with a razor sharp edge that his mom used to kill the critters in her garden.
He said good old mom could take the head off a diamond back with one whack of the garden tool.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "inexpensive improvised rattlesnake and zombie killing weapon." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!