Turkey loads

PDA

Showman
May 4, 2013, 02:27 PM
Does anyone here have a preferred shotshell for turkey hunting? I like Winchester 2 and 3/4 and 3 inch #5. I also like Federal 5s and old Remington 2 oz. 5s.

If you enjoyed reading about "Turkey loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
eastbank
May 4, 2013, 02:52 PM
the old federal strutt-shok is now the new federal turkey thug and my win 1300 turkey gun loves them. 1-7/8 oz 6,s put 300-310 #6,s in a 10x10 paper square at 30yds. and they are around 10.00 dollars for 10,eastbank.

kbbailey
May 4, 2013, 03:10 PM
I just finished some pattern experiments with 4s vs 6s in my b/p sxs. I found too many holes in my pattern with the 4s. Even though I prefer the heavier shot for breaking bones and penetrating feathers....I had to load the 6s b/c of the better patterns. I wish that I had some 5s to try, that may be a good compromise.

natman
May 4, 2013, 03:37 PM
I've had excellent results with the 12 ga 3" #4 2oz Winchester:

http://www.winchester.com/Products/shotshell-ammunition/Advanced/Double-X/Pages/X123MXCT4.aspx

Every time I've used it it's been one shot, one dead turkey, 27 times in a row so far. Here's some interesting reading on the subject:

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hunting/turkey_loads.htm

jmr40
May 5, 2013, 08:00 AM
Does anyone here have a preferred shotshell for turkey hunting? I like Winchester 2 and 3/4 and 3 inch #5. I also like Federal 5s and old Remington 2 oz. 5s.

I use the same Winchesters as you. I think the #5's are a good compromise between pellet count and pellet size.

Mobuck
May 6, 2013, 08:02 AM
The Winchester 2oz #4 put a lot of turkeys in the grass for me. Longest DRT shot from my customized 870 was 53 yards. The one last week was 46 yards.
A smaller guy like myself may get tipped over backward unless he's got some back support.

If you enjoyed reading about "Turkey loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!