ammo/component availability

PDA

BoltActionPrepper
May 4, 2013, 05:25 PM
When will ammo and reloading components become as available as they used to be, before all this stupidity? Will they ever be available in useful quantities again? Will prices ever stabilize? I'm about to give myself a stomach ulcer. I fear that the good old days are gone boys.:(

If you enjoyed reading about "ammo/component availability" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
45lcshooter
May 4, 2013, 05:27 PM
Yes, yes, and yes

oneounceload
May 4, 2013, 05:30 PM
Was in Valdosta on Thursday and Friday and went into the local Gander and Academy - while neither carry reloading stuff, the ammo was stacked everywhere - every type, every cartridge.......

BoltActionPrepper
May 4, 2013, 05:35 PM
It hasn't returned to normal around here as quickly. I can't find anything (reasonably priced) online, and no local sources (big shooting ranges) have any brass ect. I guess i'll just have to be patient and cross my fingers. I can't wait for the mid-terms!

Clippers
May 4, 2013, 06:07 PM
Its not the same around here as it was 6 months ago, but I've recently bought brass, primers, powder, and bullets in bulk. The selection of ammo isn't very broad, although I can usually find something in any caliber.

bds
May 4, 2013, 06:21 PM
We went through this in 2008. Have patience. While components are still harder to find and popular in-stock items are selling out fast, there are signs that distributors like Powder Valley, MidwayUSA, etc. are being restocked.

BoltActionPrepper
May 4, 2013, 06:29 PM
Thats good news bds. I still can't wait for November 2014. I bet my money that it'll get alot better after that. Midway has been out of most everything as of late, and i like buying from them.

bds
May 4, 2013, 06:48 PM
Midway has been out of most everything as of late, and i like buying from them.
Actually, many reloading comonent items have been in stock. It's just that popular items like primers and bullets in certain calibers/weights have been selling out often in 30 minutes of being in stock, sometimes within minutes.

I know, it's frustrating for many.

At least, one silver lining to the current shortage is that the firearms and components related industry/manufacturers have been BOOMING! :D

I am sure they will keep making products on 24/7 basis until everyone had their fill and demand falls below supply.

rchery59
May 4, 2013, 07:06 PM
We've been dry on primers for a while. Some stuff has been hit and miss at our LGS but no primers. I got lucky today and scored 4# of w296 , I've stopped in every sat for 6 wks before I got lucky. I hope primers are available soon, I'm getting very low on mag small pistol.

Jason75979
May 4, 2013, 07:27 PM
I was lucky enough to remember a little "hole in the wall" gun repair shop that sold reloading components recently.
Picked up:
2# 4064
3# 4350
2# 4320
1# RL 25
1# 7828
And 1# Sr 4759
Turns out I have no need for the Sr 4759:cool:
The guy still had most all rifle powders and a few pistol powders.
Now, if I could find a few more spp and lpps I'd be all right for about 6 months.

BoltActionPrepper
May 4, 2013, 07:42 PM
Good luck finding H-Varget or H-4350! Don't even think about CCI #41 primers. I'm not going to get to shoot too much until things return to normal. I'm almost out of everything, and i refuse to pay the outrageous prices being asked for what little is available.

baz
May 4, 2013, 09:00 PM
Actually, many reloading component items have been in stock. It's just that popular items like primers and bullets in certain calibers/weights have been selling out often in 30 minutes of being in stock, sometimes within minutes.
Besides selling out, their are often limits per customer that make it harder to dilute the hazmat bite.

But if the improving supply of commercially loaded ammo is a sign, then reloading components should become more plentiful over the next few months. I certainly hope so. I need me some Varget. :(

Hondo 60
May 4, 2013, 09:07 PM
When will ammo and reloading components become as available as they used to be, before all this stupidity?

Who knows? I'd guess by late summer, but I have no inside info, nor do I have a crystal ball.

Will they ever be available in useful quantities again?

Yes, of that I'm certain.

Will prices ever stabilize?

Yes, but don't expect to see pre-fear prices ever again.

If you enjoyed reading about "ammo/component availability" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!