Finally! Decent priced .22LR ammo

PDA

bds
May 5, 2013, 02:31 PM
Finally! Some reasonably priced .22 LR ammo from Natchez:

.22LR 36 gr Federal Champion® Target Copper-Plated HP 525 / $37.99 - http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=FA745

.22LR 40 gr Federal Champion® Target - High Velocity Solid 50 / $3.84 - http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=FA510

.22LR 40 gr Federal Premium Gold Medal® Solid 50 / $4.99 - http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=FA711B

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally! Decent priced .22LR ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Inebriated
May 5, 2013, 02:34 PM
$38 for 525 is decent priced?

bds
May 5, 2013, 02:35 PM

.22LR 36 gr Federal Champion® Target Copper-Plated HP 525 / $37.99 - http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=FA745

.22LR 40 gr Federal Champion® Target - High Velocity Solid 50 / $3.84 - http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=FA510

.22LR 40 gr Federal Premium Gold Medal® Solid 50 / $4.99 - http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=FA711B

bds
May 5, 2013, 02:37 PM
Compared to what they have been selling recently - http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/22lr/

They have been hovering around $150 / 500.

HOWARD J
May 5, 2013, 02:38 PM
Times change quickly
I bought the value pack for $22 in November in the local gun shop

Inebriated
May 5, 2013, 02:40 PM
Well I guess.

I've pretty much just quit shooting .22 until it gets back to $20 or less per box. lol

bds
May 5, 2013, 02:40 PM
Recently, only available .22LR ammo have been around $150 / 500.

bds
May 5, 2013, 02:41 PM
Same here. I almost picked up a Ruger 10/22 take down model but couldn't find any ammo.

I even gave away 2 boxes (1000+ rounds) to a friend just before the "panic shortage". :rolleyes::D

Inebriated
May 5, 2013, 02:42 PM
I've got plenty of ammo, but since its not replaceable, I can't even enjoy it. It's my own little version of hell. haha

Geno
May 5, 2013, 02:45 PM
When I began to see prices as gouging the consumer, I stopped purchasing in silent protest.

Geno

ralph2
May 5, 2013, 02:58 PM
When my current supply of 22LR runs out I will find a new hobby if prices don't go back to 2012 prices. I will still keep a small supply for critter control which is seldom.

bds
May 5, 2013, 03:05 PM
Federal Champion Target - High Velocity Solid and Federal Premium Gold Medal Solid already sold out.

Federal Champion Target Copper-Plated HP still available.

bds
May 5, 2013, 03:07 PM
Federal Champion Target - High Velocity Solid and Federal Premium Gold Medal Solid already sold out.

Federal Champion Target Copper-Plated HP still available.

Balrog
May 5, 2013, 03:12 PM
Natchez Shooter Supply doesnt sell to residents of GA, so they can take their ammo and shove it!

CB900F
May 5, 2013, 03:21 PM
Fella's;

Just for comparison, I was in Helena Montana in mid April for some non-firearms reasons. But, due to having some spare time, I did stop in at Capitol Sports in that town. Just as I walked into the firearms department, they'd finished pricing a case of Winchester 525 bulk .22lr. I asked for a coupla bricks & they informed me that the limit was one to a customer, and handed me mine. I was very pleasantly surprised to find it marked $29.95.

I've drawn two conclusions from that incident. One; the ethical retailers aren't gouging us, and the manufacturer's aren't gouging them. Two; the supply really isn't as bad as it seems, most of the situation is due to panic buying. For me, buying two bricks at a time is not panic buying. Not when I can go through a brick a day in varmint control. For me, panic buying would be multiple cases. But I've made it an informal policy for decades to buy .22lr ammo even when I didn't need it. Therefore although I've got a decent supply of .22, I don't consider myself to be a hoarder either. Not when some of the stuff I've got floating around is older than your kids.

900F

Queen_of_Thunder
May 5, 2013, 03:31 PM

I paid $17 for 550 pks of 22lr so $37.99 plus shipping is not what I call reasonable.

nathan
May 5, 2013, 03:33 PM
If its below $50, then thats a good price. No more cheapo ammo as demand has surged and more gun owners are hoarding like crazy. This is the new reality.

Just like the good ole days of $60 for 1000 rds of Chicom imported 7.62 x 39 steelcore of the early 1990s, had long passed.

Onward Allusion
May 5, 2013, 03:40 PM
Thanks for sharing the info. That's still about double what it cost before 1214. It does appear that the hoarders have either run out of cash or got their fill.

Larry Ashcraft
May 5, 2013, 03:45 PM
Threads merged.

For everybody's information, starting identical threads in different forums is frowned upon.

shafter
May 5, 2013, 08:04 PM
$38 for 525 is decent priced?

^This. During the whole shortage I haven't spend more than $28/brick for any ammo. Most was CCI or Federal.

351 WINCHESTER
May 5, 2013, 08:30 PM
Maybe this is the new norm for .22 ammo.

sixgunner455
May 5, 2013, 08:38 PM
It's only normal if you accept it as such.

cpy911
May 5, 2013, 08:48 PM
It is a good sign when people start to capitulate and say its the new normal. It means the bubble will soon pop. The cheap Chinese AK ammo was banned from import. There are a lot of domestic manufacturers cranking out a lot of 22lr and there is no manufacturing issues just artificial demand due to panic and flippers.

When the buy and sell flippers can't make 2x-3x their money on each brick, the bubble has burst and you will see ammo slowly start showing up on the shelves on a regular basis.

beeenbag
May 5, 2013, 09:08 PM
Well it's all sold out now so I guess panic is still in swing.

savanahsdad
May 5, 2013, 09:25 PM
I just bought a brick of CCI pistol-match, for $42.00 so how is this a deel ? and in Feb I got a bulk box of Fed 22lr for $28.00 ..... I guess if someone says it's a deel it must be , somewhere......... but not here !
oh and that box of Fed 22lr , I gave that to my lawn-care guy in trade for the first lawn cutting of the year , if it ever stops snowing here

Inebriated
May 5, 2013, 10:26 PM
Well it's all sold out now so I guess panic is still in swing.

Everyone posting about "X place having .22!" on every forum doesn't do a thing to help end this. Were I a mod, I'd close every single thread regarding ammo being in stock somewhere.

My $0.02.

CSG
May 5, 2013, 11:43 PM
Amen

Malamute
May 6, 2013, 12:03 AM
Wholesale prices haven't gone up. Last I saw 22's at wal mart a couple weeks ago, they were Federal 375 rd box for $13 and change. The folks there say they get 22's in pretty regularly, but they are bought up quickly, often before they get them to the shelves. No special time, I found the ones I bought on the bottom of a pallet in the middle of the afternoon.

The price increases are artificial. Nearly $40 for a 525 rd box is about double what they should retail for.

bds
May 6, 2013, 12:10 AM
Well then moderators/admins, feel free to close this thread.

I was just trying to help THR members actively looking for/wanting .22LR ammo buy some. That's all.

EOM

Malamute
May 6, 2013, 12:22 AM
You may have helped some find ammo, and for cheaper than it was otherwise available for, but it still isn't a spectacular price, just better than most of the too high prices.

I'm thinking it will get a bit better after Federal and CCI get their youth shooting ammo done and delivered this month.

RetiredUSNChief
May 6, 2013, 01:03 AM
Just picked up 4 packs of Remington 36 gr .22 LR last week. The 525 round bulk boxes.

Happened to catch Dick's with a couple dozen on the shelf. Bought a box, called a friend, who sent his wife over and then took an early lunch to buy one himself. meanwhile, I called around to all the other stores in the area and found one more with some still on the shelf.

$22 a box.

I'm good for a while, now.

:)

breakingcontact
May 6, 2013, 01:07 AM
Not sure if it will go back to $18-22 per 500 so I'd call $25-$30 the new reasonable.

thorazine
May 6, 2013, 02:21 AM
If its below $50, then thats a good price. No more cheapo ammo as demand has surged and more gun owners are hoarding like crazy. This is the new reality.

New reality? Only because you took the blue pill. :D

You could put down your guns for a few months... take up golf.

Stop putting money in to the hands of the people flipping ammo for profits.

Or go right ahead and pay those ridiculous prices and continue putting the walls up over the well laid foundation of what might actually one day become the "new reality".

Inebriated
May 6, 2013, 02:37 AM
I was just trying to help THR members actively looking for/wanting .22LR ammo buy some. That's all.

I want to say that I wasn't specifically calling you out. I'm just saying, every forum I've seen has had similar types of posts regarding stock, whether it be local or online. Heck, when local places get stock, I get phone calls and texts about it. It just seems like that is only hurting the situation. If people would calm down, and pass on the box or two of 9mm, stock would return to normal within a few weeks. Supply would catch back up to demand. Not easy, but the only way it'll work. I truly don't think manufacturers are going to be upping their rate more than they have, just to meet a very volatile demand. Here today, gone tomorrow (well... I wish). As mentioned, WalMart and a handful of honest stores are selling ammo at the same prices they always have. There's not an unusual shortage in supply, just an unnecessary surge in demand.

You could put down your guns for a few months... take up golf.

This fella gets it. No golf ball shortages. And you get a cart.

Cee Zee
May 6, 2013, 03:30 AM
Is $38 a "good price"? Not really in normal times. But that's the first rimfire ammo I've seen for sale for under $75 a brick in months. It is a step in the right direction. I actually saw another thread today where SK-Jagd was LESS than it was before the panic. I was paying $65 locally for it before all this mess started. It was selling for $66 shipped today. In no time a guy bought 5000 rounds. Can't say as I blame him but I wish people would calm down so the panic would end. We are driving the panic folks. I didn't buy any because I have some. I thought ahead. But I feel like I can go shoot some now without worrying if I'll ever get ammo to replace what I have. And before anyone asks, I bought my ammo before the panic started so I didn't contribute to that one bit. I refused to pay panic prices. I bought some .223 a few days ago for the same price it was going for before the panic too. I didn't really need that either but now I have enough to shoot some for the fun of it. I only bought one box of 100.

Things are getting better. People have realized gun control is dead for now. The republicans have caught on to the administration's buying of billions of rounds which could well have been an effort to cause a panic just like we had. So any new orders of enough ammo to kill every man, woman and child in the country 20 times over are going to look very suspicious. Heck even the police are having trouble getting ammo and that looks very, very bad when the justice department goes out and buys a billion rounds (or two).

Things will get better. They are already getting better. They have been getting better for a month. I've been able to buy .223 pretty much all the time lately. I can buy .40, .45. .44, 9mm, and lots of not so popular cartridges. I have a hard time finding .380 and .38 spcl still but those are always the last calibers to come back it seems. I thought about buying a Mararov because I can get 9 x 18mm. But I still have plenty of .380 and my daughter can find her own .38.

Pointshoot
May 6, 2013, 06:28 AM
Cee Zee - youre right of course, though some seem not to be willing to do their own homework and check out multiple news sources to verify this. The feds ordered billions of rounds of ammo, enough to fight multiple wars. This wasn't the military, but other agencies. They refuse to answer Congress as to why. The answers they give make no sense.
I disagree with those who insist that its citizen gunowners causing the shortage problem and 'panic'. This never happened to this degree with shootings or elections in the past.
Some also seem to have a crystal ball that will predict the future. They say all will get back to pre-panic normal again. I hope theyre right. But, I havent heard anyone in an upper position of authority in the ammo industry or government say that. Its good we're starting to see supply of some items. But, if another shooting event happens - what is likely to happen to the ammo supply in this country? If some dictorial exec order is given impacting ammo supply, what is likely to happen to prices and availibility ?
Gun owners know all this. They buy what they can find and afford now. Personally, I havent paid really outrageous prices for any ammo. I have guns in numerous chamberings that I bought over the years, and got less popular ammo when this first started. It was at the old, pre panic prices. But I havent found much in 22LR. When I have, I lucked out and was at the right place at the right time. Bought a 10/22 Take down before the panic and paid $325 for it; saw one at a gunshow priced at $625. Amazing.

rugerman07
May 6, 2013, 06:30 AM
I've pretty much just quit shooting .22 until it gets back to $20 or less per box. lol I'm with you!

oneounceload
May 6, 2013, 09:14 AM
I guess the bricks I purchased at $9 must seem like a great deal
I also bought a case of 6250 rounds for $95 OTD a few years ago, so sorry if I do not think that $39 for a brick is a great deal - I can reload 32SWL for less than that

Arkansas Paul
May 6, 2013, 11:36 AM
Maybe this is the new norm for .22 ammo.

It's not.
The local Wally World had some 525 packs of Rem for $21.96 the other day. Now granted, they didn't last long, but like Malamute said obviously wholesale prices haven't gone up. It will settle down eventually. How long it will be is anybody's guess.

Walkalong
May 6, 2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the heads up for those who need to buy some right now. No use in arguing about price etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally! Decent priced .22LR ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!