Gun business exodus begins in Colorado

PDA

Midwest
May 6, 2013, 06:00 AM
Gun business exodus begins in Colorado

http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/03/gun-business-exodus-begins-in-colorado/

The "Exodus" to get out of Colorado for firearms related companies is on. HiViz Shooting Systems (manufacturer of gun parts) leaves Colorado for nearby Laramie Wyoming because Colorado passed controversial gun control laws recently. Laramie is only an hour away from the Colorado location.

“The decision to relocate the company was difficult, and choosing the proper location was essential to our continued growth within the industry,” said president and CEO Phillip Howe in a press release. “We look forward to settling into our new home in the firearm friendly state of Wyoming.”

The article mentions another company Magpul which makes magazines in Colorado might move to Texas. The article also said that Magpul is expected to announce their new location after the NRA convention this weekend.

I think this is a great message to send, that companies are willing to leave the state (in this economy) over anti-gun legislation. Thus the state and the politicians will have to answer to the people over loss of jobs due to the state's laws.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun business exodus begins in Colorado" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
leprechaun50
May 6, 2013, 06:23 AM
Let us hope that this trend continues and more companies (Colt, Beretta and others) follow suite.

Reloadron
May 6, 2013, 06:53 AM
While this move makes a political statement....

Wyoming Gov. Matt Mead announced he welcomes HiViz to Wyoming. The governor's office says the company intends to set up operations in Laramie with 14 employees with more to come later this year.

Mead's office has been courting firearms companies to relocate to Wyoming.

That is about all it really does. Colorado will not even notice any loss in tax revenue. When you want to hurt someone you hit them in the wallet or pocketbook. I doubt Ft. Collins CO. will notice them missing or Colorado in general.

When companies that employ thousands pack up and move then there is an impact. However, very large companies seldom move to make a political statement. Many are publicly traded with a fiduciary responsibility to the share holders. Moving a large manufacturing base isn't an easy task nor is it inexpensive. You are not going to see for example Colt Manufacturing pack up their toys and move anytime soon unless a very big carrot is offered by another state as a tax abatement.

So while I applaud small companies that move for their political statements I do not see any firearms related large manufacturing bases moving anytime soon. They are in business to make money and not make political statements.

Just My Take
Ron

Lex Luthier
May 6, 2013, 07:35 AM
Booyah for them.

Midwest
May 6, 2013, 08:52 AM
With the recall of politicians in Colorado. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=714950

The Outdoor Channel pulls out of Colorado
http://mynortheastoutdoors.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/216/The_Outdoor_Channel_Halts_all_

Then Magpul is leaving
http://www.kunc.org/post/new-laws-send-colorado-gun-businesses-packing

Hunters are boycotting Colorado
http://kunc.org/post/hunters-target-colorado-boycott-over-gun-control

While the 14 people from HiViz Shooting Systems are not going to make an economic impact. The combination of the other industries, the hunters, the pro-gun communities and the political fallout will have a big impact when all is said and done.

Colorado's loss could be Wyoming's gain

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/guns/wyoming-hopes-attract-scorned-colorado-gun-manufacturers-magpul-and-hiviz

zonzin
May 6, 2013, 09:44 AM
Right on. My guess is that the libs attempting to make CO their personal utopia will just see it as an opportunity to rid the state of more opposition to their misguided philosophy.

Reloadron
May 6, 2013, 09:46 AM
With the recall of politicians in Colorado. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=714950

The Outdoor Channel pulls out of Colorado
http://mynortheastoutdoors.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/216/The_Outdoor_Channel_Halts_all_

Then Magpul is leaving
http://www.kunc.org/post/new-laws-send-colorado-gun-businesses-packing

Hunters are boycotting Colorado
http://kunc.org/post/hunters-target-colorado-boycott-over-gun-control

While the 14 people from HiViz Shooting Systems are not going to make an economic impact. The combination of the other industries, the hunters, the pro-gun communities and the political fallout will have a big impact when all is said and done.

Colorado's loss could be Wyoming's gain

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/guns/wyoming-hopes-attract-scorned-colorado-gun-manufacturers-magpul-and-hiviz
And that is what it is all about, the strength in numbers. Individually each has little impact but combined it will hurt them in the pocket book and that is where it will hurt and draw attention. Neighboring Wyoming is no slouch either opening their arms and offering better tax incentives that Colorado. Wyoming is gun friendly making for a nice home to all things gun related.

As for Colorado? I guess we wait and see how things play out.

Ron

Bubbles
May 6, 2013, 12:52 PM
Hey, it's a start.

What I find amusing is that even my little home-based business is now receiving solicitations from commercial realtors in states like TX pointing out that the state is very pro-RKBA and encouraging us to move in.

CZguy
May 6, 2013, 01:42 PM
What I find amusing is that even my little home-based business is now receiving solicitations from commercial realtors in states like TX pointing out that the state is very pro-RKBA and encouraging us to move in.

You might consider visiting Texas then for a vacation. Lines do seem to be being drawn.

breakingcontact
May 6, 2013, 01:44 PM
In a way, I like it but in another way, it's very dangerous if we have a lot of our industry moving to certain states, same thing when like minded political populations move. I don't blame them for seeking refuge, but it increases the polarity between states. I know, the gun companies didn't start it, but that's the end effect.

CSestp
May 6, 2013, 02:16 PM
Maybe i am in the wrong here, but i find it almost appalling that members of the gun community are championing the the failure of a State of the union economically just because of its enforcement of policy it chooses to follow. I understand the disagreement of the policy, but to damn them for it is un-American. I also may have just mis-interpreted what some members have posted

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

erikk8829
May 6, 2013, 02:29 PM
IMHO it is also UN American to torpedo the 2nd AMENDMENT

MagnunJoe
May 6, 2013, 02:32 PM
Kudos 4 them. Good start. I hope there are more to follow.

Pilot
May 6, 2013, 02:57 PM
Last time I checked, privately owned companies could move anywhere they wanted. That is capitalism, and American. They don't even need a reason to move if their ownership desires.

I applaud these companies.

docnyt
May 6, 2013, 06:11 PM
Maybe i am in the wrong here, but i find it almost appalling that members of the gun community are championing the the failure of a State of the union economically just because of its enforcement of policy it chooses to follow. I understand the disagreement of the policy, but to damn them for it is un-American. I also may have just mis-interpreted what some members have posted

I don't think anybody here would champion the economic collapse of a State just to support our cause. Sometimes though it is helpful to remind people to wake up and smell the political fragrances being wafted down their noses by those in power.

420Stainless
May 6, 2013, 07:40 PM

One great thing about this country. If the people of CO don't end up liking the response to their legislation, they can vote to reverse it just as easily as they voted to enact it. I doubt they want to, but if they decide to I'm sure the firearms community would be happy rejoin them.

zxcvbob
May 6, 2013, 07:56 PM
Individually each has little impact but combined it will hurt them in the pocket book and that is where it will hurt and draw attention.

I don't think they care.

Twmaster
May 6, 2013, 08:07 PM
I applaud businesses who vote with their dollars and feet in opposition to unconstitutional laws. These businesses who are moving are doing so often at no trivial expense to themselves.

On issue I see with the exodus of businesses and other persons (like conservatives fleeing liberal hell holes) is the only people remaining are the liberal loonies. Then you end up with Senators for life like Fineswine, Boxer and Chuckie.

Reloadron
May 6, 2013, 08:26 PM
I don't think they care.
Unfortunately I agree. When you lose tax base revenue you just increase taxes on the remainder that pay them.

Ron

Nuclear
May 6, 2013, 08:28 PM
I sent a message to a Colorado resort that I had no interest in vacationing in a state that would violate my 2nd Amendment rights, and when they decided they had lost enough money they could get their state government to repeal those laws.

PinoyInFL
May 6, 2013, 08:34 PM
Let's not forget that we, the gun owners, should also do our part. We should patronize these companies who choose to take a stand for the 2A. In similar fashion, I would also suggest that we withdraw our patronage to those companies who choose to remain in anti-gun states. Let's remember that part of every dollar of business that we give to these companies located in anti-gun states are being used to promote anti-gun agendas.

GEM
May 6, 2013, 08:36 PM
I agree with the 'don't care' view. It is as if a town makes tax money on stripper bars that cause trouble. They ban them. They see losing that business as confirming their moral imperatives. Only voting out folks will make a difference.

However, I do agree with the sentiment to move and boycott. That is because the company would be paying tax money (to which you contributed to) which would enforce their discriminative and tyrannical laws.

It is no different from other ideological similar move. If you agree with the issue, then you cannot support funding attacks on freedoms.

mrvco
May 6, 2013, 08:41 PM
Vote in 2014.

The Antis need some consequences for their actions.

geim druth
May 7, 2013, 07:16 AM
Gun control politicians don't just want to drive gun companies out of state, they want to drive them right out of business. Lost tax revenues mean nothing to them.

To see where Colorado might be 10 or 15 years down the line. Look at the gun policy of the Democratic candidate for Governor of New Jersey.

http://libcloud.s3.amazonaws.com/266/23/8/427/Buono_Gun_Violence_Prevention_Plan.pdf

She wants to prohibit government investment in all gun industry companies that are not suppliers of weapons to law enforcement or the military.

r1derbike
May 7, 2013, 06:09 PM
I also join the "they don't care" mantra. Antis don't care. Let them live in their cocoons of self-defined false security.

Personally, I will stay away from them all, including the states they reside. Their philosophy of life, while certainly their own, and I respect, is not mine.

Fortunately, I live in the South, where we are relatively free of self-imposed personal prisons.

I spent some time in the Northeast. The most miserable years of my life, because I came from the South, and couldn't believe the culturally dysfunctional attitudes and laws. The grass certainly was not greener. I may understand their fear of violence, as it is all they know, all they have lived.

I asked several why they didn't consider moving to less violence prone areas, and that was not a solution for them. Passing more laws was their solution; sound familiar?

silicosys4
May 7, 2013, 06:36 PM
NPR did a segment concerning the loss of jobs and revenue due to firearms industry relocating to friendlier territory.
Their "analysis" was that Colorado would be losing a few hundred jobs due to magpul leaving. Nothing more, plenty where those came from. They brushed on the lost revenue to hunting guides and outfitters and supporting industry, but since those are all "filthy gunowners" who cares.
Their basic theme was that Colorado is going to be a lot better off, and it only cost them a few hundred jobs, and its only those "unclean gun nuts" who will be suffering.
Really shows the bias in NPR if they can't get the basic economics down, and how the loss of a few hundred U.S. based manufacturing jobs is no big deal.....not to mention MILLIONS in lost revenue.....

meanmrmustard
May 7, 2013, 07:32 PM
Lets look at this from another perspective:

If you have tyrannical laws that run off firearms/parts manufacturers, and you lose several hundred jobs...hoopty damn doo.

But, businesses pop up daily. You've (CO) just advertised to potential employers and revenue generators that are RKBA-friendly that they'd be better off somewhere else, not your state.

Good luck, CO. :banghead:

doc2rn
May 7, 2013, 08:28 PM
If I was Magpul I would be going to Kansas, they just told off the AG. Kansas will back the 2nd Amendment!

allaroundhunter
May 7, 2013, 08:33 PM
Re any of those companies moving to Texas. On other forums, native Texans are bemoaning Texas going blue in the years ahead. Magpul, et al, might be going through the same thing all over again in a few years.

Maybe not. Just saying.

A piece of Colt is moving to Texas just West of D/FW. I sure hope that Magpul comes here as well.

Texan Scott
May 7, 2013, 08:49 PM
http://www.battleswarmblog.com/?p=16888

The company doing the moving is Bold Ideas, which manufactures Colt Competition rifles, including two AR-15 pattern rifles. Bold Ideas is apparently a licensee of Colt (their logo appears on Colt Competition’s website), but not Colt itself. They’re moving to Breckenridge, Texas, which is around 100 miles west of Ft. Worth.

yzguy87
May 7, 2013, 08:57 PM
I think this is great. These companies who are moving to states that support our basic rights deserve our support both moral and financially. I will be sure to do so. I've already purchased the magpul iPhone case to show my support for them! I'll be purchasing pmags when they become easier to find.

Cee Zee
May 8, 2013, 02:01 AM
You are not going to see for example Colt Manufacturing pack up their toys and move

"A firearms company that makes [url=/url]will open a plant in Breckenridge in Stephens County (North Texas).

...The move by Colt Competition into Breckenridge comes as the CEO of Colt Manufacturing in Connecticut has said there will soon be few good answers to keep his company in the state. Connecticut passed some of the nation’s most restrictive gun laws this week."

Clearly the CEO of Colt is hinting that this won't be the only move by the company. It sounds like he intends to move the entire company in fact and it's happening because of the new gun laws in Conn.. He says there will be no good reason to keep his company in the state. He certainly seems to be talking about the entire company IMO.

I've also heard that Remington is seriously considering moving it's operations out of NY. These companies have customers that pay attention. They will also be subject to the laws of the state which means very limited magazine capacity which would be a killer to many rifles including the 10/22. What I'm hearing is that Remington may move 1200 jobs within 9 months because of microstamping laws in NY.

So the large gun companies are very much considering moving away from the gun banning states. Remington is one of the biggest gun makers in the nation. Remember they just moved the Marlin operation partially to NY from Conn.. It could be moving again very soon.

I think you're very wrong about these companies not being willing to move and the effect it will have on the economy of the states they are leaving. Imagine living in Illion, NY where a new plant was just put in operation a few years ago and watching it move again because of politics. Don't forget Remington makes a lot of ammo in NY too. This could be a huge blow to local economies especially in places like Ilion.

Gun manufacturing has been a big boon to the economy of Conn. for almost 200 years. Much of that business has moved on already because of overbearing laws at least in part. I'm pretty sure the government there has totally finished off a tradition that goes back 200 years or more. It was pretty much the foundation of the industrial revolution in that state. Connecticut became known as the "the arsenal of democracy." Eli Whitney began making firearms there in 1797 if that tells you anything and the gun industry was huge in that state for over 200 years. Remington began operations in Ilion in 1816. It doesn't appear it will make it to 200 years. It may fall about 2 years short.

Those companies created the industrial revolution and now they are getting kicked in the groin by the very people that benefited the most from their efforts. What a country.

k_dawg
May 8, 2013, 08:20 PM

I would choose not to spend my $$ in a state which legalized slavery, supported lynching or granted the 'right' to beat up women.

"policy disagreement" is not equatable to direct and flagrant violation of basic human rights.

Prince Yamato
May 8, 2013, 08:28 PM
It'll hurt Colorado more than people realize. Each of those employees takes lunch breaks at neighboring restaurants. They shop at local stores for goods and services. Their families shop. People who vacation spend money at hotels, on vacation homes, on resorts, and on expensive meals. It's not going to be a pittance.

barnbwt
May 8, 2013, 10:48 PM
Compared to Ball Aerospace (among dozens of like-size corporations) the little outfits aren't even on the radar of the state budget guys. The fact they're even being acknowledged by the media and politicians of the state is testament to how vocal gun rights supporters have been.

The state leadership should, and need to, care far more about how many Coloradans are sympathetic to the persecution of this minority group, and will act and vote accordingly. The disrespect with which these legitimate businesses have been treated could only be topped by outright seizure or closure of their facilities, and that should give pause to many other "defense-related" industries and their conservative employees.

TCB

Cee Zee
May 10, 2013, 12:41 AM
The notion that losing a few small businesses won't hurt an economy is a big reason our government continues to hurt our economy so much. Losing the gun industry has to hurt the economy, which is plenty bad enough already.

Fishslayer
May 10, 2013, 12:49 AM
You might consider visiting Texas then for a vacation. Lines do seem to be being drawn.

I've been seeing the odd item here & there that make me think that now that Kolorado has fallen Bloomberg's next target is Texas.

palmettokat
May 10, 2013, 08:47 AM
I agree there is much for any company to consider before moving any size operation and the larger maybe more difficult it is, maybe. But to think the companies in the North East will not move is missing some facts as they have done it at least with the textile industry years ago as they did major move to the south, true for lower cost of operation but also friendlier business environment which the lower salary was part of the friendlier business environment. You have to remember the NE is heavy union and many manufacturing jobs are leaving there just due to the unions even now.

Not sure the details with the move but Met Life Ins just a few weeks ago announced one of the largest JOB moves into North Carolina by a single company in years, from Rhode Island if not mistaken.

At same time think you will find the anti gun attitude of many of those states we are concerned about is not the ONLY attitude nor regulations that is upsetting if I may say so many of the moral and reasonable thinking people of those areas who are also leaving there. Believe me, we get a lot in this area every year.

MagnunJoe
May 10, 2013, 09:12 AM
The only big loss will happen when Beretta leaves ghetto loving Maryland.

HoosierQ
May 10, 2013, 12:09 PM
Last time I checked, privately owned companies could move anywhere they wanted. That is capitalism, and American. They don't even need a reason to move if their ownership desires.

I applaud these companies.
Well let's face it. In Magpul's case they may have to move! They manufacture a product that is now illegal in that state in which it is made. While a political statement might get made, they've got a business reason to move!

ColtOfficers45
May 11, 2013, 08:44 PM
ReloadRon has a point. Losing a few hundred Jobs will not hurt a place like Chicago or Rockford. However, some of the small towns in western Illinois would be affected. ArmaLite and others like them are scattered across western Il. and they employ hundreds. If they pack up it hurts. Maybe not enough to make big changes, but it hurts.

Deltaboy
May 11, 2013, 08:49 PM
Come to tx

Thermactor
May 11, 2013, 09:35 PM
That's when a complete & comprehensive boycott of all business and association with the fascist, fallen state is well-indicated and necessitated. Individually, we may not make much difference, but once we collaborate and reach a proper critical mass, they might begin to feel the breeze.

DPris
May 12, 2013, 03:04 AM
Bold Ideas/Colt Competition is a standalone business & no part of Colt. That is not Colt moving to Texas.
Colt hasn't even done anything to follow through on the Florida option, at last report.
Denis

Chris-bob
May 12, 2013, 03:21 AM
Yup, I'm all for the economic collapse of any entity that tries to strip me or my fellow Americans of their rights.

bluetopper
May 12, 2013, 10:26 AM
Colt Competition has moved to Breckenridge, TX.

SuperNaut
May 12, 2013, 10:36 AM
Not to get too political but I submit that there is a correlation between a state being gun friendly and being business friendly. The same forces that wish to control, don't stop at guns.

Certaindeaf
May 12, 2013, 10:58 AM
Colt Competition has moved to Breckenridge, TX.
They are from Oregon.. expanding and not leaving Oregon.

statelineblues
May 12, 2013, 11:33 AM
Well let's face it. In Magpul's case they may have to move! They manufacture a product that is now illegal in that state in which it is made. While a political statement might get made, they've got a business reason to move!

In the 1980's a friend of mine was an FFL Class 2 manufacturer who's bread and butter business was full auto conversions (mainly HK) from semi autos. Along comes the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 and *poof* 80% - 90% of his business is gone.
At least these guys have a chance to find a place where they can carry on...

Plus, many companies looking to move will see businesses leaving a state and think twice about going there.

22-rimfire
May 12, 2013, 12:38 PM
Moving a company is a major business decision. The laws did not make manufacturing these products illegal or even restricted, but the laws have made selling their products in certain states illegal or restricted. I support the moves and I hope that more companies follow suit. I expect Beretta to move completely out of Maryland. I suspect their building the factory there was a political decision in the first place being close to the central government in DC.

I'm hoping that Remington moves more production from NY to NC and KY. I hope Colt moves as well. Many states and cities/counties would provide significant tax incentives to move a factory into their local.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun business exodus begins in Colorado" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!