22LR iron sights

PDA

Tommy Medlin
May 6, 2013, 04:11 PM
I posted this to an old thread that may not get read,but here's what I wanted to ask:I have two 22LR'S with iron sights.The rear sights have ramp adjustments.Does anyone know what the yardage is for each notch from lowest to highest ?

If you enjoyed reading about "22LR iron sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Furncliff
May 6, 2013, 04:24 PM
You might be able to get an answer to your question if you included the make and model of your guns. Not only will it be different from maker to maker but there will be significant differences based on the ammo you use.

Old_Gun_Hand
May 6, 2013, 04:32 PM
There is no standard. It various from gun to gun. Just bench rest the gun at a medium distance and then move the sight to see how many inches the holes move. Armed with that knowledge you will have a rough idea. If you have access to a long distance range you can test out your findings. If not, then why are you worried since you have no place to shoot that far. :)

Tommy Medlin
May 6, 2013, 06:58 PM
I have two 22LR's with ramp type rear sights. Can anyone tell me what yardage the notches represent from lowest to highest ?

Tommy Medlin
May 6, 2013, 07:07 PM
One is a Rem. Mod 514 and the other is a Stevens Mod.87A semi auto,and Old Dog,I didn't say I didn't have a place to shoot. I have access to a 1000 yd. shot if I needed it.the weather hasn't been nice enough to try them since I thought about this,Just thought someone could give me a WAG !

Millwright
May 6, 2013, 07:25 PM
A WAG . (AKA a "wild ass guess.)

Seriously, given the wide disparity in .22RF bullet weights and velocities, you need to correlate a given sight position/elevation POI with a particular ammunition. Or several. That's the bad news. The good news is at shorter ranges most of this exercise is somewhat superfluous. Its only when trajectory curves, (i.e. "bullet drop") becomes a significant number does this knowledge come into play. >MW

Tommy Medlin
May 6, 2013, 07:39 PM
A WAG . (AKA a "wild ass guess.)

Seriously, given the wide disparity in .22RF bullet weights and velocities, you need to correlate a given sight position/elevation POI with a particular ammunition. Or several. That's the bad news. The good news is at shorter ranges most of this exercise is somewhat superfluous. Its only when trajectory curves, (i.e. "bullet drop") becomes a significant number does this knowledge come into play. >MW
Thanks Millwright,I know I shot squirrels at 50-75 yds with factory set ramps.

robmkivseries70
May 6, 2013, 10:19 PM
This is mathematically predictable if the distance between the sights is known for each rifle and the distance from the front sight to the target. The ratio of the distance between the sights and the distance from the front sight to the target will reflect the change in group location for a certain amount of change in the rear sight.
Best,
Rob

rcmodel
May 6, 2013, 10:27 PM
Re-Read post #3.

That is the only correct answer possible!

Regardless of what brand of gun and ammo you are shooting.

rc

Shawn Dodson
May 7, 2013, 03:27 PM
Try different brands and weights of ammo to determine which produces the tightest group(s) in each rifle.

Sight-in the .22 rifles at 25 yards. This allows you to shoot point-blank out to 50 yards. Once you have the rifles sighted-in with the ammo that each one prefers for accuracy, THEN experiment with different ramp settings to determine how it affects impact. Record your results so you can refer to them later.

Good luck!

If you enjoyed reading about "22LR iron sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!