When do you NOT carry a firearm?

PDA

ShooterMcGavin
May 7, 2013, 01:25 PM
I am wondering what times or circumstances cause you to leave your carry gun behind. The illegal places to carry don't need to be mentioned, since I know that laws stop law-abiding folks like us from carrying at those times. I'm wondering about what burdens you are faced with on a daily basis that makes you think "eh, it's not worth the trouble today".

Again, this assumes that all listed places are within the law, but you make a choice not to legally carry there.

For me:
->work, often - it is against work policy, so I need to be concealed deeply, and it is uncomfortable
->going to the gym - I won't lock my gun in a gym locker, and carrying wouldn't work easily, or be accepted if seen
->water events - boating, swimming, outdoors pursuits where a gun on the hip would be a hindrance
->rock climbing - too much weight to carry and I won't leave my gun unattended

If you enjoyed reading about "When do you NOT carry a firearm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jrdolall
May 7, 2013, 01:30 PM
Other than the illegal places I carry virtually all the time. I don't go to a gym anymore. Damn sure don't climb any rocks on purpose. If I go to the beach intending to snorkel then I don't carry a gun but if I am just walking then I carry a pocket pistol. The same goes for boating since I generally wear cargo style shorts.

Thursday45
May 7, 2013, 01:32 PM
Only where it's prohibited and when I decide to run outside as opposed to running on a treadmill.

allaroundhunter
May 7, 2013, 01:33 PM
I don't carry when I'm golfing.... Throws off my swing ;)

SCUBA diving also means that I'm not carrying.

easyg
May 7, 2013, 01:53 PM
Like Allaroundhunter I don't carry when I golf.
Guess I'll have to rely upon my trusty old six iron (but it never lets me down).

I don't carry when I suspect that I'll be having a few adult drinks.;)

I don't carry at work because they would fire me if it were discovered.

And I have two friends who are rather anti-gun and I don't carry in their homes out of respect.

PabloJ
May 7, 2013, 02:08 PM
I am wondering what times or circumstances cause you to leave your carry gun behind. The illegal places to carry don't need to be mentioned, since I know that laws stop law-abiding folks like us from carrying at those times. I'm wondering about what burdens you are faced with on a daily basis that makes you think "eh, it's not worth the trouble today".

Again, this assumes that all listed places are within the law, but you make a choice not to legally carry there.

For me:
->work, often - it is against work policy, so I need to be concealed deeply, and it is uncomfortable
->going to the gym - I won't lock my gun in a gym locker, and carrying wouldn't work easily, or be accepted if seen
->water events - boating, swimming, outdoors pursuits where a gun on the hip would be a hindrance
The only time I have it with me is when i'm out hiking or camping in the wilderness. It would be very cumbersome to carry one on daily basis.

joecil
May 7, 2013, 02:12 PM
Other than places you can't carry I'm always carrying. Now I haven't played golf in 20 years when I gave the game up and I own a business that my wife and operate 6 days a week with both of us armed. When I go somewhere and see a sign or enter a restricted area the gun goes in a lock box other wise I put it one with my pants in the morning and take it off when I go to bed at night where it resides on the night stand. Been doing this for a number of decades now. Don't really think about it much any more either as it is like taking my wallet.

ShooterMcGavin
May 7, 2013, 02:29 PM
...When I go somewhere and see a sign or enter a restricted area the gun goes in a lock box...
When you see a sign requesting that you not carry a firearm, or otherwise "restricting" your carry (not by law), you put the gun away? You seem very devoted to carrying otherwise, so I had to ask :)

Bianchi?
May 7, 2013, 02:40 PM
When it's illegal. Which, unfortunately for me, is most of the places I visit. :(

Bmac1949
May 7, 2013, 02:41 PM
I don't carry a piece on me. When I travel I have one in my truck which is legal in this state. I don't have the time or the inclination to practice my presentation of a firearm so that it would be effective 100% of the time. There is a reason that LEO's undergo extensive training and practice regularly so that drawing a pistol in a dangerous situation is done without danger to innocent people or to ones' self. If one doesn't have the proper training an practice regularly a CCL in the wrong hands is a ticket to disaster. Just my 2 cents. BTW I have been through and successfully completed the Texas CCL course.

JERRY
May 7, 2013, 02:45 PM
i always carry. i dont climb rocks or golf but im having a tough time seeing how a Seecamp would interfer with either....

allaroundhunter
May 7, 2013, 02:46 PM
Bmac, while LEOs do practice "regularly", that is not synonymous with "often". Outside of the academy, they really do not train very often with drawing and shooting their firearms, unless it is done on their own time and dime. With a public servant salary, that is not very easy.

CoRoMo
May 7, 2013, 02:50 PM
Swimming, showering, sleeping, and when working out. Although for each of those activities, there's a firearm not too far away.

Ranger Roberts
May 7, 2013, 02:53 PM
I carry as part of my job (LEO), so it is very 2nd nature for me. The only time I can think of that I am not carrying, is when I know I will be told to leave my gun in the car and there is no lock box available (i.e. federal buildings). Even at weddings/funerals I will most likely have an ankle holster on me. I would carry in the small of my back at those type of events but in the event I would want to take off my suit jacket it would be too visible.

Sapper771
May 7, 2013, 03:01 PM
Bmac, while LEOs do practice "regularly", that is not synonymous with "often". Outside of the academy, they really do not train very often with drawing and shooting their firearms, unless it is done on their own time and dime. With a public servant salary, that is not very easy.

This has been my I observation as well. In 2011, I used more ammo than my entire department (~100 LEOs) did in the same year. The training budget is usually the first to get cut, which is sad.
Most LEOs are not gun enthusiasts, so there is very little off duty training.

I generally carry everywhere that is feasible. I am not afraid to admit, I do occasionally carry where I am not suppose to. If possible, I avoid places that restrict my right to carry.

Outlaw Man
May 7, 2013, 03:33 PM
I'm a lot like joecil - on in the morning and off when I go to bed. I've successfully reduced (all but eliminated) the places I go where it is off limits. I suppose visiting someone at their home is the most common place I don't carry. It's legal here, after notification, but some places aren't going to like it.

Bmac1949
May 7, 2013, 03:34 PM
LEO's have a heck of a lot more training than CCL carriers in Texas. IMO 8 hours of instruction and a half hour at the range weren't sufficient to get the job done or it's minimal at best. I've handled firearms for over 50 years, shoot regularly and have friends that carry at all times. No problem. But, people who get their CCL and carry a weapon at all times w/o learning how to properly present a firearm and focus properly for alternate threats and innocent bystanders is asking for trouble. Once again just my 2 cents.

BemidjiDweller
May 7, 2013, 04:18 PM
I don't carry while I'm sleeping, drinking or in the shower. When I decide to jump in the lake, my carry is on the bench on the dock. Nobody around to snatch it.

Inebriated
May 7, 2013, 04:46 PM
When I am going to the bar, or am in class.

Dentite
May 7, 2013, 04:53 PM
LEO's have a heck of a lot more training than some CCL carriers in Texas. IMO 8 hours of instruction and a half hour at the range weren't sufficient to get the job done or it's minimal at best. I've handled firearms for over 50 years, shoot regularly and have friends that carry at all times. No problem. But, people who get their CCL and carry a weapon at all times w/o learning how to properly present a firearm and focus properly for alternate threats and innocent bystanders is asking for trouble. Once again just my 2 cents.

Fixed it for you. :)

X-JaVeN-X
May 7, 2013, 04:53 PM

This made me lol...I just pictured someone getting robbed while dangling off the side of a mountain. If you're unfortunate enough to have a bad guy rob you or threaten your life while on the side of a mountain, then I think God is just trying to tell you that it's your time to go lol.

...or somebody's just been watching too much Cliffhanger.

dakotasouth
May 7, 2013, 05:02 PM
Don't carry...

Around the house, about 50/50.
When traveling to states that do not honor my Alabama permit.
People's homes with whom I have not discussed carrying my pistol into their home.
Anything else would be sporadic based on situation.

History.Doc
May 7, 2013, 05:04 PM
When I know I'll be drinking

Rail Driver
May 7, 2013, 05:08 PM
When I'm in the shower or in bed. In either case, I have a pistol within arm's reach.

Hypnogator
May 7, 2013, 05:28 PM
I don't carry (any more) when I'm traveling by commercial airline, when I'm training in a Federal Reserve Bank or detention facility, or when I go swimming.

I didn't carry at my dad's funeral 10 years ago, and I won't carry at my mom's funeral tomorrow.

Other than that, I carry. :)

TarDevil
May 7, 2013, 05:47 PM
I didn't carry at my dad's funeral 10 years ago, and I won't carry at my mom's funeral tomorrow.

Man, so sorry!

TarDevil
May 7, 2013, 05:50 PM
A few homes I leave my gun locked in the car. Never when drinking.

Oh, just to rub it in... my company owner is very much pro 2A and I carry ALL the time when I go to the office in Texas. In fact, he often calls me into his office to show guests my Crossbreed and Ruger.

May 7, 2013, 05:55 PM
I don't carry at the gym.
I live near several state borders and one of them doesn't recognize my CCW, so not there.

Other than that, it would be an individual case that for some reason I don't think it would be appropriate for one reason or another. But, about 99% of the time, I have a full sized service pistol in my waistband no matter what I am wearing (the same one all the time FWIW). When I come home from the gym, I shower and get dressed and that includes my holster and pistol. I take it back off when I get ready for bed. I wouldn't carry it if I was going to be drinking, but I rarely drink any more.

r1derbike
May 7, 2013, 06:33 PM
Sleeping, in prohibited places, in the car (it's in its own holster on the door concealed) shower.

r1derbike
May 7, 2013, 06:39 PM
I don't carry (any more) when I'm traveling by commercial airline, when I'm training in a Federal Reserve Bank or detention facility, or when I go swimming.

Other than that, I carry. :)Prayers, Hyp. I lost my father due to gun violence in 1977.

RBid
May 7, 2013, 07:00 PM
I don't carry when I'm sleeping.

Frank44
May 7, 2013, 07:04 PM
I am armed the vast majority of the time. Only when swimming, showering or on the tennis court am I not carrying.

Bmac1949
May 7, 2013, 08:08 PM
Dentite. You made a valid point.

JVaughn
May 7, 2013, 09:32 PM
Nowhere.

It is [the people's] right and duty to be at all times armed…” (Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. Memorial Edition 16:45, Lipscomb and Bergh, editors)

Deus Machina
May 7, 2013, 09:46 PM
I don't carry as much as I want to, lately.
I don't carry to school.
The car's not working, and the bicycle means I can't stow it when I get to work.
Since I don't have a life outside of that, that means pretty much the only times I carry are my late-night jaunts to Wal-mart, the bank, and to drop off the car payment.

montanaoffroader
May 7, 2013, 09:58 PM
I don't carry when swimming or when drinking (about twice a year). Otherwise there is always a gun within reach.

palmettokat
May 7, 2013, 10:00 PM
I didn't carry at my dad's funeral 10 years ago, and I won't carry at my mom's funeral tomorrow. Hypnogator I also am sorry for your lose. It hurts.
May you find God's grace in this time.

smalls
May 7, 2013, 10:00 PM
When I go to Canada to visit family two or three times a year. I carry to the beach, but I lock it up in the car. And the bar, which is maybe once every 2-3 months.

Other than that, I can't think of any times a pistol is more than 15 feet from me.

Absntmind
May 7, 2013, 10:05 PM
I always carry. Since I got my CHL I figured with my luck the one time in my life I could possibly need it would be the time I don't have it. It has become second nature to putting on my watch or grabbing my wallet on the way out the door.

The few times I have had a couple beers while not at home I unload the gun and place it in a lock box under the back seat.

Heck, I even take my little 380 with me kayak fishing in the dry box lol. Well now that I think about it I don't carry it when wade fishing. Crap, that's how it's gonna happen lol. I guess there's worse ways to go.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

morcey2
May 7, 2013, 10:17 PM
If I have pants on, I'm carrying. If I'm legally prohibited somewhere, I don't carry. If I don't have pants on, hopefully I'm not also somewhere that it's legally prohibited, or things will get really, um, interesting, really fast.

Matt

DsbJax
May 7, 2013, 10:23 PM
My step daughter's wedding seemed like a good time to go unarmed. Drinking, dancing and lots of family was not the place for a firearm.

oneounceload
May 7, 2013, 10:27 PM
No need at the beach, or taking an exercise walk around the neighborhood in gym shorts, I leave it in the car at the gun club

saenzrich
May 7, 2013, 10:32 PM
in the sauna...no threats likely

Lex Luthier
May 7, 2013, 10:57 PM
Everywhere but on the clock. I hate leaving it in the locked glove box, but it is there for the way home.

Akita1
May 7, 2013, 10:58 PM

Other than that, I carry. :)
Sorry for your loss bro

mgkdrgn
May 7, 2013, 11:23 PM
In the shower ... that's about it really.

justice06rr
May 7, 2013, 11:31 PM
I don't carry at work, gym, and church.

LeonCarr
May 8, 2013, 12:13 AM
The Shower
Sleeping

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

allaroundhunter
May 8, 2013, 12:13 AM
I don't carry at work, gym, and church.

Out of curiously, is your church a "defense free zone"?

9thchild
May 8, 2013, 10:19 AM
Interesting to hear people say they don't carry when they know they will be drinking. I am in the process of obtaining my CWP now and I always imagined that knowing I am carrying would be a blessing for me when alcohol is around because I will force myself to drink moderately.

I guess a lot of people have no interest in moderation sometimes (understandably so) so they leave the piece at home.

allaroundhunter
May 8, 2013, 10:24 AM
Interesting to hear people say they don't carry when they know they will be drinking. I am in the process of obtaining my CWP now and I always imagined that knowing I am carrying would be a blessing for me when alcohol is around because I will force myself to drink moderately.

I guess a lot of people have no interest in moderation sometimes (understandably so) so they leave the piece at home.

Here in Texas there is not a "legal limit" to be carrying. If, in the officers opinion, you are "impaired" then you are in trouble. Whether it took you half of a drink or 10 drinks to get there.

BemidjiDweller
May 8, 2013, 10:51 AM
In Minnesota the BAC limit to carry is .04. I drink in moderation, but that still leaves me with a BAC above the limit here.

Jim, West PA
May 8, 2013, 10:54 AM
In the shower.

bigdaa
May 8, 2013, 12:28 PM
Carrying is a moot point in California.

For the most part, as the Bible states :"Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

So goes the procurement of a CCP.

gym
May 8, 2013, 12:31 PM
I carried my gun even when I didn't own a gym, like now in a fanny pack. Everyone used to carry them for gloves wraps etc. and many LEO's who worked out at the club I owned did the same thing. I found that the fanny pack, although is a hated article of outerwear, it serves many purposes, and frankly I don't car if someone thinks you look like a dork for carrying it that way, at least I have a weapon available when needed. Same goes for many other situations, especially if you wear sport clothes around the house, like tee shirts and nike pants. The other way you can always carry is in an ankle holster, often overlooked. I would buy a pair of low boots, that cover the entire holster and gun. I did that for 20 yrs. at work, it may not have been the fastest way to get your gun, but at least you have it on you. If something happens you may easily have a second to bend down and retrieve it.

9mm+
May 8, 2013, 12:34 PM
I don't carry wherever the law prohibits it here in NC, but then again, I also try to avoid going to places where carry is prohibited. I certainly don't patron ANY business where CC is not allowed. Those damn places are still in business, though, so it just goes to show that we have too many yellow-belly, progressive, anti-gunners in Cary.

MedWheeler
May 8, 2013, 12:44 PM
I carry to and from work, but not while on the job. Not illegal, just not permitted by employer policy.

I skipped carry at Disney World a couple of weeks ago just because I had not been there since being licensed to carry, and figured it wasn't worth the concerns.

Aside form work, I pretty much carry wherever lawfully permitted.

Regarding drinking, I don't drink enough to be concerned (carry in bars not permitted), but Florida does not have any restrictions on BAC while carrying. State law only prohibits "use of" a firearm while under the influence, but actually makes an exception specifically for cases of lawful defense of self or another.

Warp
May 8, 2013, 12:47 PM
I am wondering what times or circumstances cause you to leave your carry gun behind.

Swimming. I rarely do that, though.

When I MUST go through a metal detector to get where I am going, and my carry license isn't good enough to retain my firearm while passing through said metal detector.

In my own private residential yard. I do most of my yard work without a firearm on my person.

Roy Weber
May 8, 2013, 01:14 PM
Always

Frizratz
May 8, 2013, 07:51 PM
Hi,

shower, sleepin ( but the weapon is in reach )
in Delaware ( for the moment )
In Maryland ( prolly fornever )
Swimmin
Where customers won't allow.
Where the Law won't allow.

I might be green but I stopped drinkin when I got my LCF, about 1 yr ago.
I think even one drink, if you hadda use your weapon, your BAL might sink you, just like a car accident, if you were drinkin, you'll be in the wrong.

As said earlier, it's like my wallet or pocket knife, I feel nekkid w/o it.

420Stainless
May 8, 2013, 08:10 PM
When I want to go someplace where the property owner has prohibited them.

When I'm horsing around with the kids so they don't inadvertently get whacked in the head by a heavy metal object, however it still remains in fairly close proximity.

John G C 1
May 8, 2013, 09:00 PM
I am so glad to hear so many of you say you do not carry in people's homes unless you ask to.

I am not antigun; I own several pistols and revolvers, but a friend of mine brought over her boyfriend and after we sat around the living room for a bit I noticed he had a gun on his hip. I asked and he whipped out a revolver loaded with .357 and one under the hammer and offered to let me handle it. He does not know me well and has no idea if I know anything about guns.

There is no reason to take a loaded gun into someone's home on Sunday afternoon in small town, USA and never mention it! I grew up with a military historian father who had lots of guns, but no one ever carried around loaded weapons in the house.

Do what you want in your own home. No problem with that.

Thanks to those sensible enough and polite enough to ask when it is someone else's home..

I think I need better friends.

j

Warp
May 8, 2013, 09:19 PM
I am so glad to hear so many of you say you do not carry in people's homes unless you ask to.

I am not antigun; I own several pistols and revolvers, but a friend of mine brought over her boyfriend and after we sat around the living room for a bit I noticed he had a gun on his hip. I asked and he whipped out a revolver loaded with .357 and one under the hammer and offered to let me handle it. He does not know me well and has no idea if I know anything about guns.

There is no reason to take a loaded gun into someone's home on Sunday afternoon in small town, USA and never mention it! I grew up with a military historian father who had lots of guns, but no one ever carried around loaded weapons in the house.

Do what you want in your own home. No problem with that.

Thanks to those sensible enough and polite enough to ask when it is someone else's home..

I think I need better friends.

j

That individual had a lot of issues beyond carrying in the home without asking permission.

Not everybody lives in "small town USA" and visits people only on Sunday afternoon. ;)

May 8, 2013, 09:28 PM
This for some reason seems very strange to me.

I carry everywhere I go. I even carry on Sunday afternoon. Nobody knows about it but me (that is the concealed part). I can't imagine being invited to someone's house and asking them if it is OK if I carry a concealed gun.

For that matter, if I thought someone would have a problem (if they knew about it) with me carrying a gun, I simply wouldn't go there.

Hit_Factor
May 8, 2013, 09:32 PM
I can't carry at my day job. But I can at my other jobs, so I do.

I don't go places that I can't legally carry.

The pistol I carried during the day goes on the headboard when asleep.

orionengnr
May 8, 2013, 09:36 PM
Shower, sleeping, hot tub. But it is within 2 feet.

Work...cause they say so.

John G C 1
May 8, 2013, 10:32 PM
There is a thing called politeness and another thing called respect.

It means when you go to someone's home----especially if you do not know them well---- you ask them before you smoke or before you go to the refrigerator to grab a drink or wander room to room or try on their coat or let your dog run into their home or bring in a gun or do anything else that you think the person might object to because it is out of the ordinary or is potentially dangerous or might be seen as invading their privacy or sense of decency. It is not a "gun issue" but a basic respect issue. All you have to do is ask, and then if you do not want to go in that is fine.

I have asked a lot of people around here how they felt about this. Most the few people I have asked, gun owners and others, have said a person should ask before showing up with a loaded gun.

paintballdude902
May 8, 2013, 10:33 PM
on base... i live on base

oneounceload
May 8, 2013, 10:42 PM
Regarding drinking, I don't drink enough to be concerned (carry in bars not permitted), but Florida does not have any restrictions on BAC while carrying. State law only prohibits "use of" a firearm while under the influence, but actually makes an exception specifically for cases of lawful defense of self or another.

To clarify - in FL you cannot carry in a place that is just a bar; however you can carry into places that have a bar - like a sports bar - that also has food service that compromises the majority of revenue

Warp
May 8, 2013, 10:43 PM
To clarify - in FL you cannot carry in a place that is just a bar; however you can carry into places that have a bar - like a sports bar - that also has food service that compromises the majority of revenue

That's the key.

Of course, if in doubt, you're going to have to ask the owners/operators information they may not know or be willing to divulge.

Silly law is unnecessary

JRH6856
May 8, 2013, 10:51 PM
I'd rather not say on a public forum... :scrutiny:

gym
May 8, 2013, 11:12 PM
In the 43 years I have carried, "every day", unless in a restricted area, even to the beach.
It has never been an issue when going or traveling to an unexpected place, "as long as it was legal to carry". I neither informed or asked permission from anyone. I would never tell a stranger that I had a gun, nor would I trust them to decide if it were safe for me to be in a strange home. Just as I would not ask to inspect their home and see their financial records before entering.
If I am invited to go to a persons home, I am invited as I am, without having to ask their permission on how I live my life, 'especially if I don't know how they live theirs ", or who may be after them while I am in their company.
My close friends all know I carry all the time. It has never come up.
If you feel that it is something to concern yourself with, then you must ask everyone who enters your home if they have any weapons on them, "which I would find very strange. Otherwise you really can't expect a stranger to trust you with that kind of personnel information. They may be an Agent or undercover LEO, or several other kinds of things that would not make it wise for them to entrust a stranger with that information. I am indeed curious how many people have entered home that you would never know carried a gun.
In some businesses I have been in, it was essential to have a handgun available to you at all times.

Zardaia
May 8, 2013, 11:13 PM
College campus and on base, illegal. Carry everywhere else.

MICHAEL T
May 8, 2013, 11:47 PM
In the shower Hate it when my pistol and leather holster get wet Other wise I am armed

Grmart
May 9, 2013, 09:02 AM
I don't pack when I'm playing golf as well, but it's in my golf bag! :p I carry just about everywhere else though.

Cheers,

George

RBid
May 9, 2013, 03:15 PM
"Interesting to hear people say they don't carry when they know they will be drinking. I am in the process of obtaining my CWP now and I always imagined that knowing I am carrying would be a blessing for me when alcohol is around because I will force myself to drink moderately.

I guess a lot of people have no interest in moderation sometimes (understandably so) so they leave the piece at home."

I was a bartender for about 6 and a half years. I never met anyone who didn't "know how much they could handle".

I now work at an LGS. One day, a guy came in and was talking to a coworker and I. He said, "Last year, some of my buddies and I were hanging out, having a couple beers, shooting some cans-" and my buddy and I simultaneously said, "Who got shot?" He looked surprised, and asked how we knew.

Alcohol and firearms do not mix. I know that many people will disagree, but the simple fact is that zero is the best amount to consume while you have ready access to a firearm.

Warp
May 9, 2013, 03:28 PM

I guess a lot of people have no interest in moderation sometimes (understandably so) so they leave the piece at home.'

In public I either don't drink or don't carry.

And it has nothing to do with moderation. Don't put words into people's mouths, or make judgments based on assumptions.

I don't think the risk/reward justifies consuming alcohol, in public, while armed. If the worse should happen and I am forced to use lethal force to defend myself or another person, you better darn well believe I want a 0.000 BAC.

Rawss
May 9, 2013, 04:44 PM
in bars, post office etc

hariph creek
May 9, 2013, 04:54 PM
Everywhere LEGAL, except swimming. When I can find one, I'm picking up a KelTec P32. That'll be my swimming gun.
Also, I don't get drunk or go in bars. But, if I'm going to have a drink (even one)? I don't carry or drive. Needless to say, I don't drink in public.

Potatohead
May 9, 2013, 06:15 PM
dentist. guns and laughing gas dont mix

ShooterMcGavin
May 9, 2013, 07:24 PM
...I was a bartender for about 6 and a half years. I never met anyone who didn't "know how much they could handle"...
I don't understand... Have you never met anyone who just had 1 drink and then said "ok, I'm going to head home"?

'

In public I either don't drink or don't carry.

And it has nothing to do with moderation. Don't put words into people's mouths, or make judgments based on assumptions.

I don't think the risk/reward justifies consuming alcohol, in public, while armed. If the worse should happen and I am forced to use lethal force to defend myself or another person, you better darn well believe I want a 0.000 BAC.
I agree with the stance that it would be best to be 100% sober, in any situation where you were forced to defend yourself. It would also be best to be well rested, well fed, and not be slowed down by having a cold or allergies.

I will still carry when I plan to go out for dinner and have a single beer. After having 1 beer in an hour, I will still drive home. That isn't the absolute best time to need to swerve to avoid a potential car accident, but I have also stayed awake for 16 hours (sober) and driven home too. I will still carry a pocket knife when having a drink as well.

Warp
May 9, 2013, 08:31 PM
I agree with the stance that it would be best to be 100% sober, in any situation where you were forced to defend yourself. It would also be best to be well rested, well fed, and not be slowed down by having a cold or allergies.

I will still carry when I plan to go out for dinner and have a single beer. After having 1 beer in an hour, I will still drive home. That isn't the absolute best time to need to swerve to avoid a potential car accident, but I have also stayed awake for 16 hours (sober) and driven home too. I will still carry a pocket knife when having a drink as well.
(for purposes of my post, alcohol is considered a drug)

If not consuming a drug could make me well rested at all times, and at any time, I would do so.

If not consuming a drug could make me well fed at all times, and at any time, I would do so.

If not consuming a drug could keep me from ever getting a cold or having allergies, I would do so.

Since not consuming a drug keeps me from ever being under the influence of that drug, I choose not to consume said drug while armed in public.

I don't see how there is any relevance to hunger or allergies. Perhaps, if you believe this so strongly, you should petition to make driving while hungry, or when you have a cold, illegal. I think that would be a pretty important thing, if being hungry is such a limiting factor in our abilities.

RBid
May 9, 2013, 08:52 PM
Shooter,

Sure. I've met some people who had 1 drink and went home. I've also met people who had "just 1" more, "just 1" more after that, and so on. My take away is that the best way to avoid trouble is to make sure that you don't have "just 1" in the first place.

When I carry a firearm, it's not just the consequences to me that matter. I am responsible for making decisions that effect the well being of others. Having a drink isn't important enough to me to justify "just 1".

Ultimately, I recognize that you are an adult, and that you don't have to take any advice from me.

Warp
May 9, 2013, 08:55 PM
In the past I have had one drink. I won't tell anybody else not to do it. One drink, with dinner at a restaurant, while carrying, and while driving home (or wherever) after...that seems totally reasonable to me.

It just isn't for me, currently, and hasn't been for awhile. Risk/Reward just isn't there, IMO.

Your mileage may vary.

shooter60
May 9, 2013, 09:04 PM
This might have already been brought up I did not go through all post, I heard that if students on a school function stop at a restaurant that the restaurant or the place the students go in is considered a part of the school and you cannot carry a gun in that building just trying to see if anybody else has heard about this

ShooterMcGavin
May 9, 2013, 09:18 PM
(for purposes of my post, alcohol is considered a drug)

If not consuming a drug could make me well rested at all times, and at any time, I would do so.

If not consuming a drug could make me well fed at all times, and at any time, I would do so.

If not consuming a drug could keep me from ever getting a cold or having allergies, I would do so.

Since not consuming a drug keeps me from ever being under the influence of that drug, I choose not to consume said drug while armed in public.

I don't see how there is any relevance to hunger or allergies. Perhaps, if you believe this so strongly, you should petition to make driving while hungry, or when you have a cold, illegal. I think that would be a pretty important thing, if being hungry is such a limiting factor in our abilities.
I definitely agree, that alcohol is a drug. I would certainly never argue that you should take upon yourself my method of "operating" :) I believe that hunger can make you feel weak and can cause slight judgment and mood changes; I believe having allergies can hamper your senses as well (hearing and balance, for example), similar to what a low level of alcohol can do (1 beer with dinner, for example).

Maybe we are splitting hairs here... I am mainly saying that I am probably more impaired after having been up for 16 hours and sober (and some of the other conditions I have listed), than if I am well rested and have had 1 beer with a good meal :) I don't put my gun away in public just because I have been up for a good, long 16 hour day either. I am not advising that you do any of this, just rationalizing my point. I don't think it is an extreme stance to take.

oneounceload
May 9, 2013, 09:49 PM
Current news article says that texting and driving is more dangerous than drinking and driving - so should those who carry and not drink, also not carry a phone?

It is called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY, and that means different things to different folks and some folks have differing views in drinking, carrying, driving, etc. You determine what is best for you and go from there without worrying, or impinging, on others' behaviors

Hit_Factor
May 9, 2013, 09:50 PM
This might have already been brought up I did not go through all post, I heard that if students on a school function stop at a restaurant that the restaurant or the place the students go in is considered a part of the school and you cannot carry a gun in that building just trying to see if anybody else has heard about this

Never heard this before and I don't see how the restaurant could become a school simply by the group of people dining at the time.

I wouldn't change my behavior one bit for this scenario.

A lot of things would have to go horribly wrong in that restaurant before anyone would know I was armed.

Warp
May 9, 2013, 09:52 PM
Current news article says that texting and driving is more dangerous than drinking and driving - so should those who carry and not drink, also not carry a phone?

I hope you are trolling and not being serious.

Surely you aren't saying that carrying a phone = texting while driving.

Because if that's what you are saying, people who carry shouldn't carry because murder is illegal.

Blackbeard
May 9, 2013, 11:36 PM
I never carry.

KODB
May 10, 2013, 03:03 PM
The only time I don't carry is when legally prohibited.

My workplace is firearms friendly and in fact the owner (that would be me) actually encourages all/any of the employees to be responsibly armed (proper arms, spare mags, appropriate holsters)!

Regards,
Bob

rodensouth
May 10, 2013, 08:54 PM
I'm carrying if I have my pants or shorts on. I only have a drink if at home, and don't disarm for that.

Do those of you expecting your invited guests to ask if they may carry also inform your guests before they arrive that you have weapons in your home? It is a two way street in my opinion. I rarely visit anyone that
wouldn't know I'm carrying, but if I did I wouldn't know them or their friends or habits well enough to trust them to protect my wife. If you are so concerned ask me. You should be assuming everyone is armed anyway, or you aren't really thinking it through in my opinion. Do you feel they should inform of any edged weapons they may have on their person, because if not you don't understand the danger they pose in close confines.

I DO actually respect the homeowner, I just thought they must respect me to some degree if I'm invited into their home.

gamestalker
May 10, 2013, 10:01 PM
In the last 40 some years it has been a normal daily routine for me to reach under my pillow and remove my self defense weapon, followed by placing it in the holster on my person. So it is safe to say, I carry 100% of the time, unless legally restricted. I wear it into my bank, every where I shop, and I avoid doing business with those who don't permit me to carry. And here in my city /state almost all business and general establishments are gun friendly, including a number of bars and clubs, providing you aren't consuming alcohol. But I don't shop in the big malls, cause they don't allow me to wear. So other than than restricted situations, I will always find a way to have my weapon with, or, on me. Further more, I would not reside in a state that deprives me of my freedoms, or requires me to have a carry permit for either CC, or OC.

GS

Elbert P . Suggins
May 10, 2013, 10:18 PM
I am 65 years old and have never carried when I am in the saddle. For the young kids that means, well you know!!:)

lilguy
May 10, 2013, 11:12 PM
When I'm in my home state.

MShort
May 12, 2013, 01:00 PM
I don't carry when I am going to an alcoholic beverage dealer ( fancy way of saying bar eh?). Also I don't carry around the normal restricted places....as far as carrying while around the home, I don't unless I am doing yard work outside. If I am inside why bother? I have easy access to it should the need rise I believe.

I don't carry at work, it is prohibited by our institution sop.

Other than that I carry almost anywhere,

Still embarrassed at my last failed attempt to keep all my ammo in one place though (posted another thread about it) :o Although at one point I kind of thought that I don't want to carry again lest that would happen again. but I quickly see that I may have overreacted about it and now let it fall off my shoulders. It won't happen again though I am sure of that ;)

As far as someone saying they don't carry into places restricted if they see a sign, afaik that is the law here (MO). If it is posted no weapons on a 8x11 sign then you cant carry. I adhere to that as well.

460Kodiak
May 13, 2013, 02:10 PM
I'm not allowed at work. I also don't carry where prohibited by law.

I carry pretty much everywhere else.

rugerman
May 13, 2013, 02:22 PM
In the shower.

garyr
May 13, 2013, 02:53 PM
When I drive to Massachusetts. Even though I have a clean record, good job, valid permit in my home state (NH), took their mandatory safety class, paid a non-refundable $100 fee and waited 6 months, I wasn't deemed worthy of an unrestricted license. I received one restricted to "sporting purposes only". Other than that, I carry.

ShooterMcGavin
May 13, 2013, 03:10 PM
When I drive to Massachusetts. Even though I have a clean record, good job, valid permit in my home state (NH), took their mandatory safety class, paid a non-refundable $100 fee and waited 6 months, I wasn't deemed worthy of an unrestricted license. I received one restricted to "sporting purposes only". Other than that, I carry.
Gary, I feel your frustration. I grew up in NH and lived for some time in Mass. I always felt that I needed to watch my back, just as soon as I crossed the border into Mass.

billpocz
May 13, 2013, 04:28 PM
There are at least 3 others who carry also at work. Here in KY, the Post Office and schools are the only places I don't carry.

Bill

mljdeckard
May 13, 2013, 06:55 PM
Always except when prohibited by law. Which in my case means church and (ironically enough) military posts. But even when I pick my kids up from school I am carrying.

WRGADog
May 14, 2013, 11:25 PM
When I'm in the shower or places where prohibited.

45crittergitter
May 20, 2013, 03:07 PM
Probably not a wise thing to answer this one, or to post it online.

Warp
May 20, 2013, 04:42 PM
Probably not a wise thing to answer this one, or to post it online.

And yet, you kinda did.

Very cool.

Skribs
May 21, 2013, 01:18 PM
I don't have too many places. I usually won't carry over at someone's house before I know their stance (or I'll just carry my LCP). I don't get out much, though, so it's probably a lot less for me.

I don't have a problem carrying to the gym, because my gym is the kind that comes with free dinner (my parent's house, they have enough exercise machines I don't need to go to an actual gym).

Warp
May 21, 2013, 03:22 PM
I don't have too many places. I usually won't carry over at someone's house before I know their stance (or I'll just carry my LCP). I don't get out much, though, so it's probably a lot less for me.

I don't have a problem carrying to the gym, because my gym is the kind that comes with free dinner (my parent's house, they have enough exercise machines I don't need to go to an actual gym).

Free weights > machines

Just sayin'

morcey2
May 21, 2013, 03:25 PM
Free weights > machines

Just sayin'

Free machines > paying for free weights.

Just sayin'. ;)

My gym usually involves lots of water, waders, and a lot of exercise with my right arm. And lots (and lots) of moving around. I lost close to 20 lbs last summer through fishing 3-4 times per week for a 2-ish hours each time.

Matt

Warp
May 21, 2013, 03:46 PM
Free machines > paying for free weights.

Just sayin'. ;)

My gym usually involves lots of water, waders, and a lot of exercise with my right arm. And lots (and lots) of moving around. I lost close to 20 lbs last summer through fishing 3-4 times per week for a 2-ish hours each time.

Matt

Cardio/calorie burning/weight loss and building muscle/strength are very different things.

When you talked about using a gym, and machines, I made the assumption you were after more than burning calories. As you showed with the fishing example, you don't need a gym or machines or weights or anything to do cardio/burn calories.

Burpees are free, and a jump rope is cheap.

morcey2
May 21, 2013, 04:02 PM
Cardio/calorie burning/weight loss and building muscle/strength are very different things.

When you talked about using a gym, and machines, I made the assumption you were after more than burning calories. As you showed with the fishing example, you don't need a gym or machines or weights or anything to do cardio/burn calories.

Burpees are free, and a jump rope is cheap.

If you could see the size of the fish I catch, you'd see that I really am doing weight lifting/strength training. :) (yes, we're drifting totally and completely off topic.)

The last weight training I did was 10 years/50 lbs ago. I need to start again.

BTW, I always carry when fishing (firearm along with pepper spray), mostly because of aggressive dogs, badgers, ill-tempered carp, etc...

Skribs
May 21, 2013, 04:43 PM
Well, machines as in treadmill, elliptical, and rower (and not really a machine, but a TRX strap). I have free weights at my place, they get used somewhat. But we're getting off-topic.

If I were going to a real gym, it would be in an area where firearms are not allowed anyway, so no-can-do there.

Warp
May 21, 2013, 04:59 PM
Well, machines as in treadmill, elliptical, and rower (and not really a machine, but a TRX strap). I have free weights at my place, they get used somewhat. But we're getting off-topic.

If I were going to a real gym, it would be in an area where firearms are not allowed anyway, so no-can-do there.

Why is that?

Hit_Factor
May 21, 2013, 05:09 PM
Gyms are OK in Michigan.

Warp
May 21, 2013, 05:10 PM
I wasn't aware of any state that ever made gyms off limits.

Joshua M.
May 21, 2013, 10:34 PM
When I'm in bed, or shower...

gdcpony
May 22, 2013, 10:54 PM
Work on a military base. Funny that Marines are handed a couple hundred rounds for a year or so at a time and a true "assault rifle" but on our own bases it is like being in CA.

TennJed
May 23, 2013, 01:08 AM
When shooting. Holster is empty then

VegasAR15
May 23, 2013, 10:08 AM
I don't carry when I am sleeping(in a Ft. Knox handgun safe next to the bed), when I am in the shower, when I am in the gym(I usually carry an LCP and I don't need it flopping around in gym shorts or falling out of my pocket) and when I am in California. I HATE not having it with me when I am in California.

wickedsprint
May 23, 2013, 12:39 PM
Work on a military base. Funny that Marines are handed a couple hundred rounds for a year or so at a time and a true "assault rifle" but on our own bases it is like being in CA.

Always wondered this myself. Even some forward deployed bases are condition green while mortars and insurgent fire are falling inside the fence.

If you enjoyed reading about "When do you NOT carry a firearm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!