Interesting.. Cambodia village + guns

PDA

twoblink
March 17, 2004, 03:17 AM
Was watching a discovery show, and they were interviewing a small isolated village in Cambodia. The village was picked because it had a very strange situation; the village chief...

WAS 9 years old!!

when asked why that was so, the little boy produced a Smith & Wesson 357Mag revolver, and a breaktop Beeman's pellot gun.

It seems annually, all the males in the village enter a shooting competition; and the one that wins the shooting competition, gets to be chief that year.... Since the village had only those two guns, competition was held with those two guns. Only the "rich" families entered the competition as it was a "pay for your own ammo" competition.. The little boy won, and so he was chief that year.. (I don't know what being chief of a village of population like 70 or so can do for ya... but... I digress)...

(Roughly translated)
(Chief) "These two [guns] are the only things keeping our village safe."
(Reporter) "Safe from what?"
(Chief) Animals mostly, anything and everything...
(Reporter) "You use it to catch dinner?"
(Chief) [laughs] "No, we cannot afford such expensive dinners, we hunt with those [point at crude bows and arrows and what looks like knives tied to poles]

WOW... Basically, whoever was the best shooter was the chief! And his duties were to protect the entire village. It seems bullets were hard to come by and expensive, and so it was used for emergancies only... I was enlightened and in awe..

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting.. Cambodia village + guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Majik
March 17, 2004, 04:42 AM
LOL, you find more interesting stories than I read in the newspaper.

twoblink
March 17, 2004, 11:39 AM
99% of everything I read turns out to be junk..

I only report the interesting ones ;)

cordex
March 17, 2004, 11:43 AM
Anyone going in the area soon that wants to set them up with a reloading press and some components?

:)

Black Majik
March 17, 2004, 02:09 PM
Hehe Cordex,

Makes me wanna bring a race gun and be chief for a year.... :o

techmike
March 17, 2004, 08:24 PM
I think it would be cool to ship them a case of ammo...and a few servicible revolvers and some m44 rifles, probably next to impossible to wade through the red tape.

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting.. Cambodia village + guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!