Does anyone actually carry a Walker or is it just a range gun?

PDA

ChasMack
May 8, 2013, 09:21 AM
I knew the Walker was big, but after holding it, it is really big! Does anyone carry one of these...NOT edc or anything, but for hunting,maybe cowboy shoots or reenactments? I would like a holster but am not sure how much I would carry it since it would probably be pulling my britches down. I did read somewhere where a fellow did take a deer with one...so the gun was carried in something.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone actually carry a Walker or is it just a range gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BSA1
May 8, 2013, 09:41 AM
The Walker was not intended to be carried on the body. It is quite literally a horse gun. The size and weight of the Walker and Dragoons made them to unwieldy for carrying on the person. It was carried off the body on the saddle of the horse in pommel holsters. The pommel holster was mounted to the front of the saddle and secured on the horn. It was a common military item in the years before the Civil War.

Colt went so far as to described later lighter weight C&B revolvers as "belt" models for on body carry.

Google is your friend. Type in "pommel holster" and you will get great pictures and links.

Shanghai McCoy
May 8, 2013, 09:44 AM
The Walker was designed to be carried on the saddle as a horse pistol for dragoons. I have a copy of an old, 1800's, photo of someone wearing them on a belt but I doubt if that was comfortable or common.
As to hunting with one, there is a thread at a muzzle loading forum where a guy took a hog with one. 55 grains 3f and a conical I believe..?

72coupe
May 8, 2013, 09:53 AM
Watch the movie "The Outlaw Josie Wales."

kituwa
May 8, 2013, 10:02 AM
I picked up a used shoulder holster made for a TC contender. The walker drops down deep in it plus it supports the weight on your shoulder and also on your belt. It really is not any worse carrying a walker this way than it is a contender or encore pistol.

4v50 Gary
May 8, 2013, 10:13 AM
I can see hip problems developing from carrying a Walker. Better a shoulder or chest rig.

Noz
May 8, 2013, 11:21 AM
Chaos Jumbles shoots "Double Duelist Frontiersman" with a Walker on one side and a Dragoon on the other. 40 grs in both guns. There is no question when Chaos comes to the line. The earth moves.

kBob
May 8, 2013, 11:52 AM
Author Lee Grambling has a character carry a Walker on a belt in his first fictional novel about a Cracker Cowboy (Florida Cowboys according to Fredrick Remington were the meanest and most cuss wordy of all American cowboys) While writing it he would attend meetings of the Gainesville Speculative Literature Society aka Hogge Towne Science Fiction Club. When he ask what I thought of the idea of arming a Cracker Cowboy with a belt holstered Walker I told him I thought it a bit much and encouraged him to either haunt the local gun shops until he found one to handle or just order one and try carrying it for a bit. I suspect he did neither as the character has the Walker on his hip in the book.

I think his books are available from Pineapple Press.

-kBob

mykeal
May 8, 2013, 11:57 AM
Gus carries a Walker in a hip holster in Lonesome Dove. It would take one very heavy duty (like, thick, very thick) horsehide holster AND belt to survive very long in that job. And yeah, hip problems galore, I'd imagine.

BigG
May 8, 2013, 01:58 PM
Clint Eastwood carried two or three of em in Josie Wales. "You gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie?"

CraigC
May 8, 2013, 02:00 PM
Not really a big deal. I carried my 3rd Model Dragoon all last season with no complaints. If our GI's can function with 80lbs of gear, I think we can manage a 4lb sixgun. :neener:

The belt is lacking because it's overly soft but the holster does just fine made out of a single thickness of 8-9oz vegetable tanned leather. If I were to do another I might reinforce the belt loop with #12 copper rivets but that's about it.
http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/sixgunsiii/large/IMG_1237b.jpg

Cosmoline
May 8, 2013, 02:10 PM
The Dragoon isn't a Walker. In addition to the weight, the Walker is very very long. It's really just enormous in all dimensions, making it difficult to walk around with one strapped to you. Even tough old Bob Duvall had to really strap that sucker in tight and he only carried it for the scenes. I think that's one reason they never caught on.

I've actually been experimenting with this issue. They work OK in a chest holster, but even then tend to be enormous. A better way of carrying might be a "poke" style leather or heavy canvas bag. The idea I've got now is to build one in the old style of 18th century "wallet"--which was a big long sock. Secure the revolver at one end then loop the whole affair tightly over the shoulder with the revolver in back. Not exactly ideal for fast access, of course. Another option would be a large "possibles" type bag with the Walker secured in it. Or just an old flour sack with a shoulder strap on it. Though in that case the revolver is liable to cut its way through over time and embarrass you.

I've also been experimenting with alternative stances for this beast. The usual ones don't work so well. A modern two handed is just *wrong* on a fundamental level and doesn't even work very well due to the bulk of the thing. Bullseye is a weight lifting exercise. I'm going to try out an elbow-rest method. The recoil is actually very minimal due to the size. Even with chambers fully loaded with 3F. So I'm going to try holding my right elbow with my left hand and resting the butt of the beast on my left elbow. It's a kind of yoga stance that creates a very stable "X" of the arms and lets the upper body counterbalance the weight of the pistol. In dry fire it works great. If I set myself on fire doing it Saturday I'll let you know.

CraigC
May 8, 2013, 02:32 PM
The Dragoon isn't a Walker.
The Walker's barrel is 1.5" longer and the cylinder is slightly longer. Everything else is the same. Accounting for only a few extra ounces. Not a huge difference and both are huge sixguns.

One handed shooting is a challenge but the Weaver stance works just fine for me. No different than any other big sixgun.

BCRider
May 8, 2013, 03:09 PM
A local shooter often uses a pair of Walkers in our local CAS events. He's got a special belt with crossed upper harness so the gun belt looks like it has a built on set of suspenders.

Without it the upper suspenders harness the belt and guns would soon be down around his ankles....

woodnbow
May 8, 2013, 03:11 PM
"How big a boy are ya'?"

kituwa
May 8, 2013, 03:17 PM
I thought about adding a sling swivel on the butt and some kind of removable band on the barrel with quick detach on the sling and just carry it over my shoulder like a rifle. That would prolly be the easiest most comfortable way to carry one much if you was hunting with it.

kituwa
May 8, 2013, 03:20 PM
I think you could mount the butt end swivel with a longer screw in the existing screw on the bottom of the grip frame and could make some sort of barrel band for the other end that could even double as a thing to keep the loading lever from droping and you would not even have to permanantly alter the gun.

Cosmoline
May 8, 2013, 04:19 PM
The Walker's barrel is 1.5" longer and the cylinder is slightly longer. Everything else is the same. Accounting for only a few extra ounces. Not a huge difference and both are huge sixguns.

The Walker is not just a longer barreled Dragoon. It's bigger in all dimensions. That adds up to making it a PINA to carry on your hip. So is the Dragoon. Thus the name Dragoon, as in mounted troops.

CraigC
May 8, 2013, 05:31 PM
No sir, it is only bigger in those two dimensions. The difference is a massive 5oz. Cylinders are the same diameter, grips are similar, frames are similar. Overall, dimensions are comparable except the barrel and cylinder lengths.

That adds up to making it a PINA to carry on your hip.
After actually CARRYING one over hill & dale for a few months, I have to disagree.

Thus the name Dragoon, as in mounted troops.
I'm well aware that a Dragoon is mounted infantry, not to be confused with cavalry or Texas Rangers. What these guns were "designed for" 160yrs ago is irrelevant.

Good Lord people, let's put this in perspective. We really don't give it a second thought to see someone carrying a double rig with Colt SAA's. Even if they're short barreled .45's, they're still 72oz for the pair. Which is exactly what a single Walker weighs or 6oz more than a 3rd Model Dragoon. If you can't handle 4lbs on your hip, maybe you ought to just stay home. :neener:

kituwa
May 8, 2013, 05:35 PM
^^^^He just called us a sissy,LOL.

BSA1
May 8, 2013, 05:43 PM
Well someone has to stay behind and guard the women. It's a tough job but someone has to do it.

Cosmoline
May 8, 2013, 07:45 PM
Yes let's put it in perspective. This is a revolver that weighs four and a half pounds and is nearly sixteen inches long. So let's not be silly and claim that it's a piece of cake to tote one around on the belt. Most of us do that and our reaction is "you have to be kidding me."

After actually CARRYING one over hill & dale for a few months, I have to disagree.

The Dragoon, not the Walker. And are you saying you're walking miles with it all over the place? If so you are a coffin nail and I salute you.

Me, I'm more inclined to keep the Walker in a sack like Mattie Ross.

Psycho
May 8, 2013, 09:11 PM
I carried my Walker last year for muzzle loading deer season (strictly as a back up to my rifle) and it was heavy, it is big, but it wasn't horrible either. I used a basic belt holster from Cabela's and did quite a bit of walking with it. It's far from the ideal carry weapon (except for the massive power when black powder is all you can carry) but it is manageable.

BCRider
May 8, 2013, 09:25 PM
Well someone has to stay behind and guard the women. It's a tough job but someone has to do it.

That's mighty honorable of you, sir..........

..... HEY! JUST A MINUTE THERE ! ! ! ! ! ! !

:D

72coupe
May 8, 2013, 09:57 PM
I don't see the size and bulk of a Walker as that much of a problem. It is smaller and lighter than almost all modern rifles after all.

That said I have never owned a Walker but I got my first Dragoon in 1968.

Steel Horse Rider
May 8, 2013, 10:21 PM
You have to maintain your own perspective. 20lbs is much to heavy for some people to carry but to others it is a minimal weight. Walking 5 miles is just a jaunt to some but across the room for the TV remote is too much to others. Do not project your own perspective on others as it just ends up in an endless and pointless discussion.

kituwa
May 8, 2013, 11:09 PM
They are big and bulky but are still fun to shoot and will be cool to hunt with.Truth is though a ROA will do anything a walker will and in a much better made more compact size but those are not easy to come by anymore.I would trade my walker for a ROA if anyone has one laying around,lol. Shoot,,i may even trade it for a nice remington but i would prolly kick myself for it.

CraigC
May 8, 2013, 11:21 PM
This is a revolver that weighs four and a half pounds and is nearly sixteen inches long. So let's not be silly and claim that it's a piece of cake to tote one around on the belt. Most of us do that and our reaction is "you have to be kidding me."
It is a piece of cake. Yes, it's heavy but not at all unmanageable. I reckon you like to assume that because YOU can't do something, it can't be done. Or maybe you should try actually doing something before passing judgement. Seems to me there's a lot of ass-u-ming going on.

The Dragoon, not the Walker. And are you saying you're walking miles with it all over the place? If so you are a coffin nail and I salute you.
The Walker is five ounces heavier. Big deal. My cell phone weighs 4.6oz. If five ounces is killing you, you should probably take up knitting. No, I'm not tougher than a coffin nail. Sitting behind a desk for the last 8yrs has made me soft. Still, I may walk a half mile, I may walk several. Either way, if I have an issue, it's with my feet because of the extra 50lbs of ass, not the 4lbs on my hip.

Do not project your own perspective on others as it just ends up in an endless and pointless discussion.
I'm six foot one inch, fat and out of shape. Not a friggin' Olympic runner.

I'm afraid to even say that my rifle weighs almost 10lbs. That I also tote an 8" bowie, hunting pouch and haversack. :rolleyes:

VA27
May 9, 2013, 12:11 AM
I sold my Walker to fund an ROA. I really like the ROA's ( I have two, now) but I regret selling the Walker and will have another one someday. There is just nothing else like it.

rondog
May 9, 2013, 12:27 AM
I'm thinking about building a wheeled carriage for my Walker, suitable for the cannon that it is!

Pancho
May 9, 2013, 02:05 AM
Quite frankly this is one of the goofiest conversations I've ever read on the forum.
I would suggest that carrying a Walker as a belt gun was rarely if ever done, except in Hollywood.

kituwa
May 9, 2013, 04:45 AM
Well i dont use cap n ball guns just because of the historically things about them or to play cowboy at the range.Thats all cool if your into that, and i like learning the history myself.They are just what is practical for me. They do the job that i need out of a handgun and do it well.I can load the gun for small game,target shooting or big game even.And all without as many silly laws and regs that a cartrige pistol has.They do of coarse demand a little more care and time cleaning them but that just gives me an excuse to spend more time with my guns.

Kitika
May 9, 2013, 09:55 AM
I carry my Walker in this.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4IVRzO93rUM/UYuZ9B4tKVI/AAAAAAAAAQk/3RDz_0ljeoc/s128/09012012039.jpg
It hangs off my shoulder on a bandoleer and my dragoon is cross drawn off my belt from this.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ucTTly4Kt_A/UYuYgqLIFCI/AAAAAAAAAQI/CmdREWo-vAg/s128/19102012117.jpg
I wear em both at the same time along with all the other cas stuff it can get heavy by the end of the day but so does a pair of vaqueros. Having the bandoleer really does help though.

AlexanderA
May 9, 2013, 10:31 AM
The Walker is to pistols as the 1849 Ames Rifleman's Knife is to knives: ridiculously oversized. These were both short-lived experiments.

Arkansas Paul
May 9, 2013, 10:45 AM
Does anybody know of a good IWB holster for one. I'm thinking of carrying a Walker as my everyday carry. You know, for summer wear when I'm wearing shorts and need something inconspicuous. Maybe an extra capped cylinder or two in a pouch on my belt. :)

mykeal
May 9, 2013, 11:03 AM
Now THAT's funny!:D

kituwa
May 9, 2013, 11:03 AM
An inside the waist band holster for a walker would hang like a horse,lol.:D

kituwa
May 9, 2013, 11:11 AM
They need to come out with a new crocadile dundee movie featuring a walker,"no,this is a pistol".He could nic name it something like the hammer of Thor.

mdauben
May 9, 2013, 11:52 AM
knew the Walker was big, but after holding it, it is really big! Does anyone carry one of these...NOT edc or anything, but for hunting,maybe cowboy shoots or reenactments? I would like a holster but am not sure how much I would carry it since it would probably be pulling my britches down. I did read somewhere where a fellow did take a deer with one...so the gun was carried in something.

There are several custom leather shops that sell "Gus McCrea" rigs (cross-draw holsters for Walkers, often with a large sheath knife and belt pouch or powder flask). I've never actually worn one, but I'd love to get one. ;)

Billy Shears
May 9, 2013, 12:18 PM
The choice of the Walker Colt to arm Josey Wales was really my only complaint about the movie. In the book on which it's based "Gone to Texas," the author simply calls them "Colt .44s" and almost certainly intended them to be the 1860 army model. Which would make perfect sense. Leaving aside the unlikelihood that Josey would have found not one, but two revolvers that had been out of production for twenty years, and never numerous to start with, they really are impractical for belt carry. Moreover, Josey is supposed to be lightning fast as a pistoleer, and the Walker would by just about the worst choice imaginable for someone who wanted to execute a fast draw -- not just the weight, but the extreme length of the guns would be working hard against you. It's a classic case of Hollywood excess: the hero has to have the biggest, most badass gun out there. You can see this attitude today with action heroes in some movies carrying big Desert Eagles and so forth (though thankfully they seem to be getting away from that a bit nowadays).

As others have remarked, the Walker was never intended for belt carry. It was a horse pistol. Not only were very large "horse pistols" common for military use in the era of single shot muzzle loading arms, when Samuel Colt marketed the Patterson, and it proved such a hit with the Texas rangers, he no doubt had an eye toward more such sales, and he was taking the advice of Texas ranger captain and Republic of Texas army soldier Samuel Walker. When the revolver debuted, it was a handgun that offered more firepower than any previous arm practical for military use. But there was no comparable longarm that gave the individual so much firepower. I think what Walker wanted, for the cavalry and for the Texas rangers was the best of both worlds. He wanted a repeating firearm with more range and power than was typical for a pistol. There were no long guns on the market in the 1840s that gave any shooter this kind of firepower, so he and Colt collaborated to upscale a revolving pistol so it could fill the role. Then came the Dragoon models -- slightly smaller, but still definitely horse pistols -- when the Walker proved a little too powerful (there were a number of kabooms). But note that when practical repeating long guns like the Henry and Spencer rifles came along, no one ever made these big horse pistols again.

Arkansas Paul
May 9, 2013, 12:24 PM
^ Yeah, that's annoying to me too when they do stuff like that.
I read a book the other day where the main guy carries a Walker and they keep refferring to it as a Colt .45. :banghead: I guess it's slightly possible that one could have been converted........? I dunno but it didn't make a lot of sense. There were only about 1,100 made.

1KPerDay
May 9, 2013, 12:47 PM
The Walker is five ounces heavier. Big deal. I'd bet money that MY Walker weighs more than 5 ounces more than MY 3rd model Dragoon. But I don't have any postal scales.

I'd carry the Dragoon on my belt. Dunno about the walker. I think I'd dislocate my shoulder before the barrel cleared the holster. :D

ThorinNNY
May 9, 2013, 01:08 PM
I read that Colt designed the 1851 Navy Colt .36 cal. because it was more practical for an "active man" to wear and carry.

woodnbow
May 9, 2013, 01:57 PM
The average man back in the 1840's thru the '60's was a good bit smaller than we are today although probably a good bit tougher in terms of musculature and attitude. The weight probably wouldn't bother him as much as the difficulty of drawing a piece that long from a slim jim style high riding holster. Many of the shooters I see at the local range are not in any kind of condition to pack big pistols for any distance...

CraigC
May 9, 2013, 04:00 PM
I'd bet money that MY Walker weighs more than 5 ounces more than MY 3rd model Dragoon. But I don't have any postal scales.
I do. My Dragoon weighs 66oz on a very nice digital postal scale. The Walker is listed everywhere at 4˝lbs but Cimarron lists it at 4.48lbs. Which makes it five ounces and change heavier than the Dragoon. The point being, if you can handle the Dragoon on your belt, you can handle the extra 5-6oz of the Walker. If you spend as much time as I have handling and shooting such a big sixgun, it's not really a big deal.

The choice of the Walker Colt to arm Josey Wales was really my only complaint about the movie.
At least they were percussion pistols and not Colt SAA's.

Arkansas Paul
May 9, 2013, 04:21 PM
^ True

CraigC
May 9, 2013, 04:33 PM
Texas Ranger and later Senator John "RIP" Ford was known to carry two Walker Colt's, on his belt.

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/scouts/john-s-rip-ford-1850s.jpg

Here's another dude with a big Colt:

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/holsters/walker-colt-holster-2.jpg

An 1850's gold rusher:

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/holsters/walker-colt-holster-1.jpg

I'm not the only one investing in a holster for these beasts:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p182/lg40402/002-14.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rtwAob_29zs/Tqfh4RKjEAI/AAAAAAAAAdk/C6LFKAgOX1w/s1600/Colt_Walker_Set.jpg

kituwa
May 9, 2013, 04:37 PM
^^^^Very Nice!

Cosmoline
May 9, 2013, 08:09 PM
Kitika, I really like that rig. Do you have any detail photos? I'm thinking of sewing up something like that.

Here's another dude with a big Colt

Yeah, it's it's about half his height!

1KPerDay
May 9, 2013, 09:36 PM
Cool pics!

Thanks for the scale weights also. Any recommendations for a digital scale?

alienbogey
May 10, 2013, 01:04 AM
Me, I'm more inclined to keep the Walker in a sack like Mattie Ross.

I'm going from memory here, but I believe the Rooster Cogburn's line was:

"By God girl, that's a Colt's Dragoon! Why, you're no bigger than a corn nubbin, what're you doin' with all this pistol?"

Now, I couldn't tell you if the pistol that Mattie carried in her poke—and later shot Tom Chaney with—appeared to be a Dragoon or a Walker, but if the Duke said it was a Dragoon then for me it was a Dragoon.

Oh, and here's a picture of my Walker:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/alienbogey/WalkerLHView.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/alienbogey/media/WalkerLHView.jpg.html)

kituwa
May 10, 2013, 01:51 AM
Alien, now that walker looks like one i can imagine a texas ranger would have kept after they were no longer issued and more modern guns came along, but was his baby and personal escort.As us indians would say,,"how does she shoot",?

Big Al Mass
May 10, 2013, 06:42 AM
I'm going from memory here, but I believe the Rooster Cogburn's line was:

"By God girl, that's a Colt's Dragoon! Why, you're no bigger than a corn nubbin, what're you doin' with all this pistol?"

Now, I couldn't tell you if the pistol that Mattie carried in her poke—and later shot Tom Chaney with—appeared to be a Dragoon or a Walker, but if the Duke said it was a Dragoon then for me it was a Dragoon.

Oh, and here's a picture of my Walker:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/alienbogey/WalkerLHView.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/alienbogey/media/WalkerLHView.jpg.html)
In the original picture, the gun used was a Walker, even though it was referred to as a Dragoon. However, in the recent remake, a Dragoon was used.

By the way, how did you make that loading lever clip?

freedom475
May 10, 2013, 11:08 AM
When I was quite young I really wanted a pistol...At a Mnt Man gathering one time I found a SWEAT pistol.!! I threw my money on the table and the man handed me my new gun, a can of Real BP ,lead, and caps. I said thank you sir. I quess those were the days,..No questions, or even odd looks. Just a "Now you be carful sonny."...(is it really dreaming to hope those days would come back for my son :rolleyes:)

As soon as I got it home I took an old pair of cowboy boots and went to work on a holster. It was a X-draw with a steep cant probly like 65-70degrees, with a long belt loop accross the back.

Well this was before internet so I didn't know any better...with no one to tell me I couldn't carry my Walker in a holster...Thats just what I did....

Hell I didn't even know it was a abnormally large gun:D It was just MY Pistol, and I carried it everywhere. All over the Mountains in SW MT and NW Wyoming,,,I carred it for years and it just seemed normal. I hunted with it, I gold panned with it, rode horses with it, I fished with it.....The big gun was just always there, no matter what I was doing...But I never went to town much.:D

StrawHat
May 10, 2013, 12:04 PM
These two weigh about the same.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Colt%20clones/Dragoons001.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/user/StrawHat/media/Colt%20clones/Dragoons001.jpg.html)

No, I don't have a double rig for them. But after drawing with either one of them for a while, it makes the belt models jump from leather!

rondog
May 10, 2013, 12:41 PM
At my hunter's safety course here in CO, I asked if one could hunt deer with a C&B revolver, and was told "no, BP pistols are illegal to use".

"Even with my .44 cal. Colt Walker?"

"Nope, can't even use that. BP rifles only."

Which I thought was ridiculous.

kituwa
May 10, 2013, 01:20 PM
Do you have a IWB holster for that Walker snubbie?,lol.I was thinking maybe one of those spring loaded contraptions for the derringers on wild wild west that goes up your shirt sleave.Lol,i bet a walker in one of those rigs would snatch your whole arm out of socket. Seriously, does that cut down walker have much more recoil? I know you said it didnt lose a lot of weight but thought maybe since it wouldnt be as front heavy it may jump a bit more.When guys have watches me fire off a few in my walker and heard the canon like boom they were afraid to fire it thinking it would kick the snot out of them and were always surprized at how mild it really is.Of coarse it may be from me fooling them into fireing some full house loads in the 4 1/2 inch custom black hawk i had.I used 300gr bullets at 1500fps in those loads and the recoil was wicked.Few people ever asked to shoot it more than one time,lol.

Cosmoline
May 10, 2013, 01:52 PM
alienbogey--where did you get that little brass keeper for the lever? That's just the sort of thing I'm looking for.

freedom475
May 10, 2013, 02:23 PM
It only takes a couple well placed strokes on the retention spring with a file to completely END the lever falling down problem....be carful and go slow.

It is acutally easy to end up with a lever that cannot be pulled down.

Pay attention where the lever sets at it's folded position so you don't file any slack into the lever retention spring.

I see tons of gimicks and strings...and this is SO EASY to fix!;)

1KPerDay
May 10, 2013, 05:44 PM
When I was quite young I really wanted a pistol...At a Mnt Man gathering one time I found a SWEAT pistol.!! I threw my money on the table and the man handed me my new gun, a can of Real BP ,lead, and caps. I said thank you sir. I quess those were the days,..No questions, or even odd looks. Just a "Now you be carful sonny."...(is it really dreaming to hope those days would come back for my son :rolleyes:)

As soon as I got it home I took an old pair of cowboy boots and went to work on a holster. It was a X-draw with a steep cant probly like 65-70degrees, with a long belt loop accross the back.

Well this was before internet so I didn't know any better...with no one to tell me I couldn't carry my Walker in a holster...Thats just what I did....

Hell I didn't even know it was a abnormally large gun:D It was just MY Pistol, and I carried it everywhere. All over the Mountains in SW MT and NW Wyoming,,,I carred it for years and it just seemed normal. I hunted with it, I gold panned with it, rode horses with it, I fished with it.....The big gun was just always there, no matter what I was doing...But I never went to town much.:D
Except to visit the chiropractor. :D

Cosmoline
May 10, 2013, 05:57 PM
I think the Colt was called a "walker" because it could be used as a cane if you hurt your foot.

It only takes a couple well placed strokes on the retention spring with a file to completely END the lever falling down problem....be carful and go slow.

Yeah I did file it. It's stiffer but still pops loose every time. I'm pretty sure there's some variation in spring design and strength between the various repros out there.

Anyway I think I can rig a brass clip by cutting a tube of sufficient diameter.

freedom475
May 10, 2013, 07:17 PM
He'll probly chime back in with how he did that clip....he/they posted the complete process with pics and instructions on a forum about a year or two ago.

4v50 Gary
May 10, 2013, 08:56 PM
If you're talking about the brass clip that keeps the Walker's snapping turtle jaws effect closed, solder two pieces of brass.

StrawHat
May 11, 2013, 02:06 PM
... Seriously, does that cut down walker have much more recoil? I know you said it didnt lose a lot of weight but thought maybe since it wouldnt be as front heavy it may jump a bit more...

I do not notice any differnce in recoil between the 5 inch barrel and a 9 inch barrel.

kBob
May 11, 2013, 03:07 PM
Check out the Walker Club for a discussion on keeping the lever up. Those clips were described in the Club a year or two back. It is much more elegant than tying the thing to the barrel with a leather shoe lace.

Someone was offering to make them at one point.

edit:

stlm1 was making some for a few folks it seems and may have been the first to post such a clip for holding the loading lever in place.

-kBob

Mr. D
May 11, 2013, 03:26 PM
I reenact with a couple of guys who carry Walkers on their belt. The one guy is a hulk - probably 6' 8" and 250 lbs without being fat. The other guy, though is a little shorter than average and pretty skinny. He's in his 70's too.

I carry a Dragoon.

Not the most flattering picture, but here I am carrying it. It is in the holster you see on my left side.
http://cocktailsgunsconfederates.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Wilmington2012-Blog-08.jpg

In action - I'm the guy second from the right and, it's kind of hard to see, but the Dragoon is in my right hand:
http://cocktailsgunsconfederates.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/DillsTavern-2012-106b-Blog.jpg

~D

CraigC
May 11, 2013, 03:29 PM
Very cool!

freedom475
May 11, 2013, 06:01 PM
that looks like fun!:D

alienbogey
May 14, 2013, 02:40 AM
In answer to questions about my Walker:

I didn't make the brass loading lever retainer, it came with the pistol when I bought it, but it's simply two pieces of brass soldered together. Whether the maker started with brass tubing or flat stock that he shaped himself I can't really tell. It slides on and off the barrel/loading lever easily but has enough friction that it stays on without a problem, and it keeps the loading lever up under fire without a problem.

I've since browned the C&B cylinder to match the rest of the revolver, and I have a conversion .45 Colt cylinder for it also.

It shoots just fine, with .45 Colt smokeless or .45 Colt BP or cap & ball (as God and Colonel Colt intended).

CraigC
May 18, 2013, 05:25 PM
Went to Dixie Gun Works yesterday and handled both the Walker and Dragoon side by side. As I said throughout this thread, the difference is negligible. If you can handle the Dragoon, in hand or on your hip, you can handle the Walker. First time I handled a Walker, I was shocked at how huge it was. After spending a year with the Dragoon, it's much more manageable. It's all about spending enough time with them to become accustomed to the mass. I almost bought one but found the Schofield was calling me louder. I'll probably get the Walker when I accumulate enough points on my Cabela's Visa to pay for it.

Cosmoline
May 20, 2013, 02:44 PM
Well I found the opposite handling the Dragoon at Sportsman's Warehouse ;-) But I may well have to get the thing just to see who's right.

hartcreek
January 19, 2014, 11:08 AM
Before you buy go into the store and compare a Blackhawk and a model 29 with a long barrel a Casul if they have one and a walker. There really isnt that much difference in the weights but there sure is in the price.

J-Bar
January 19, 2014, 12:42 PM
At my hunter's safety course here in CO, I asked if one could hunt deer with a C&B revolver, and was told "no, BP pistols are illegal to use".

"Even with my .44 cal. Colt Walker?"

"Nope, can't even use that. BP rifles only."

Which I thought was ridiculous.
Percussion pistols are legal for deer hunting during Missouri's "Alternative Methods" season...the fancy new name for combining muzzleloader and archery postseasons.

CraigC
January 19, 2014, 12:43 PM
As the owner of a shiny new Uberti Colt Walker replica, I have to stand behind everything I've posted in this thread. As you can see, the Walker is only 1.5" longer in barrel length and perhaps a quarter inch in cylinder length. According to my scale, it is indeed 5oz heavier than the 3rd Model Dragoon. I'll be offering holsters for these, starting with one for myself. In hand, the difference in weight is unnoticeable. They're both very large, heavy sixguns. Like I said, if you can handle a Dragoon on your belt, you can handle the Walker. For me, the Walker's grip is actually more comfortable.

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/sixgunsiii/large/IMG_2551b.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/sixgunsiii/large/IMG_2583b.jpg

Compared to a Pietta .36 Navy London model:
http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/sixgunsiii/large/IMG_2572b.jpg

tembotusk
January 19, 2014, 01:43 PM
Has anybody designed a back carry holster for the Walker/Dragoon? Similar to how some people carry a shotgun on their back.

Reach over your shoulder or behind your neck and grab the pistol. Your back carries the weight and nothing is banging on your hip. I would imagine it would be a great way to carry for hiking, motorcycle/horse riding etc.

hartcreek
January 19, 2014, 05:05 PM
I just watched the Blue Ray version of Outlaw Jose Wales and those Walker scenes go by so fast that yes you can tell it is a Walker but not that either has been converted to cartridge. There area couple scenes near the end after 2:04:00 that you can freeze and see the nipples of the fired chambers so for parts of the movieit sure looks like they use a BP Walker.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone actually carry a Walker or is it just a range gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!