Pyrodex availability

PDA

Tommy Medlin
May 8, 2013, 11:27 AM
Just wondering if,since the Boston bombings, Pyrodex pellets are going to be more difficult to buy?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pyrodex availability" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ivankerley
May 8, 2013, 11:41 AM
why what have you heard? i thought they used fireworks grade powder
Regards
gene

Tommy Medlin
May 8, 2013, 12:16 PM
I haven't heard anything,but you know anything that can be used in an explosive device is bound to be tried,sooner or later.

Steel Horse Rider
May 8, 2013, 12:56 PM
You haven't read enough of the archived postings here. A lot of these guys will tell you that Pyrodex is not useful as an explosive.....

BlackNet
May 8, 2013, 02:59 PM
well Lets see what we DO know.

Pyrodex was not used, fireworks was which means that was black powder.

Some Senator in NJ has introduced a bill to force all powder sales to go thru the NICS system, this is not a new bill by no means. More of the same stuff.

Patocazador
May 8, 2013, 08:42 PM
As dirty and hard to ignite as Pyrodex has been for me, I wouldn't care if they quit selling it. BP is the good stuff.

This comment does NOT mean that I want any powder outlawed.

Lunie
May 8, 2013, 09:51 PM
Just wondering if,since the Boston bombings, Pyrodex pellets are going to be more difficult to buy?
I hereby give you permission to buy as much as you want, I won't be purchasing any.

EljaySL
May 9, 2013, 12:30 AM
It seems unlikely that there will be any problems in the near term, but if you're concerned feel free to stock up.

Malachi Leviticus Blue
May 9, 2013, 06:58 PM
I bought a lb of Pyrodex on 75% off clearance sale after the hunting season a couple years ago. Still haven't opened it. It's been the REAL black powder for me since day one, but I figure I might use the Pyrodex someday if things get real tough an I'm on my last dollar.

Tommy Medlin
May 9, 2013, 07:55 PM
I take it from all the neg. posts that you guys don't like pyrodex. That's all I have used since I started front stuffin' for hunting.I don't do any comp.shooting,just deer hunting.I don't have any problem with clean-up at all.Can't see where It's any dirtier than bp.

Steel Horse Rider
May 9, 2013, 11:03 PM
I am not a "serious" muzzle loading shooter, I just shoot for the fun of using old technology to improve my modern technology appreciation and skills. My first two muzzle stuffers were percussion so I shot Pyrodex as it was readily available and it was useful in building the paper cartridges for my Podewils-Lindner. My next project was a flinter so I had to procure some real black powder so I bought some Goex. Then the wise sages here said Goex wasn't good. It's like being married; you are never allowed to be right!!!! Frankly when the discussion gets down in the lower portion of the roadway (which this site supposedly doesn't travel---- which is the best joke of the year!) I pay no attention to the ego's that are bumping noggins. Everything I have used worked great and cleaned up easily using hot soapy water in all three of my guns. The only negative to me about Pyrodex is the odor after taking the shot but obviously I don't have the right attitude, but do stick around. There is a lot of useful information to be gained from this place in between the buffalo chips.......

Lunie
May 10, 2013, 12:21 PM
I take it from all the neg. posts that you guys don't like pyrodex. That's all I have used since I started front stuffin' for hunting.I don't do any comp.shooting,just deer hunting.I don't have any problem with clean-up at all.Can't see where It's any dirtier than bp.
The original post referred to Pyrodex pellets, not necessarily the powder in general.

While I probably won't be buying any powder either, it's really a matter of preference.

woodnbow
May 10, 2013, 07:00 PM
well Lets see what we DO know.

Pyrodex was not used, fireworks was which means that was black powder.

Some Senator in NJ has introduced a bill to force all powder sales to go thru the NICS system, this is not a new bill by no means. More of the same stuff.
Not black powder but aside from that yes, Senator Lautenberg introduced legislation requiring background checks on powder purchases.. He hates guns, he hates freedom, always has. The bright spots are these; one, his bill is dead on arrival, two, he's retiring at the end of his term.

BlackNet
May 10, 2013, 07:02 PM
Didn't they salvage like $200 in firecrackers to get the powder?

Tommy Medlin
May 10, 2013, 08:30 PM
Lunie,I started out with powder for my percussion side lock but when I switched to an inline I also switched to pellets. No more measuring.I use three 50 gr. pellets under 250 gr saboted 45 HP Hornady's.Excellent performance, and accuracy.

Driftwood Johnson
May 11, 2013, 08:49 AM
Howdy

The advantage of Pyrodex over Black Powder is that it is not classified by the Federal Government as an explosive, and is therefor more easily available than real Black Powder. Storage requirements for Black Powder are more stringent, both at the Federal level and at many local levels. Pyrodex, and all the other subs, can be sold anyplace that stocks Smokeless powder. The problem with Pyrodex is that it requires the same type of soft bullet lube that real Black Powder does, so there is no advantage for the cartridge reloader who wants to use standard bullets lubed with standard bullet lubes. And Pyrodex is just as corrosive as real Black Powder, maybe more so. Both APP and 777 can be fired with standard lubed bullets.

The Boston bombing suspects bought fireworks from a fireworks company in New Hampshire and hollowed them out to make their bombs. Whether it was Black Powder or flash powder has not been revealed. I have not seen anything authoritative yet as to how many pounds were used. What I have seen does not sound like enough to have done the damage that was done.

You can bet there will be new laws proposed regarding all kinds of powder.

I have a box of Pyrodex pellets that I won as a door prize a bunch of years ago. I have never used them, I prefer to use real Black Powder as long as I can obtain it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pyrodex availability" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!