What constitutes an Arsenal?

PDA

gym
May 8, 2013, 04:29 PM
I keep hearing these words, like, you have an Arsenal, or a Cache' of weapons, by non gun people. Not necessarily anti's but just not "Gun enhanced".
I would like to know what an Arsenal is, as referred to by these folks, and if I truly would be considered to have such a thing. I am down to under a dozen firearms excluding knives hatchets and tools. I have a bit of ammo tucked away, not what I consider adequate, but every time I watch TV aside from family members, "who don't tell me these things", I just hear them.
Someone is talking about an arsenal of weapons, when the guy had 1 or 2 guns.
I think it should be mandatory for there to be an amount assigned to this discretionary phrase, like a few means 3, a couple means 2, and so forth, so what does arsenal mean to you. I always pictured a huge building with cannons out front?
I don't have those, but would love to have two nice cannons outside of my house. Maybe blow one or two barrages off on holidays, then they can say hey that guy has an arsenal.

If you enjoyed reading about "What constitutes an Arsenal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
May 8, 2013, 04:31 PM
A handgun and an extra mag full is an arsenal to an anti. Nothing but hype to scare voters.

Akita1
May 8, 2013, 04:50 PM
ar·se·nal
/ˈärs(ə)-nl/
Noun

a: an establishment for the manufacture or storage of arms and military equipment

b: a collection of weapons

Guess that means my safe is an "arsenal", or at least a UK Premier League football team.

TCB in TN
May 8, 2013, 04:57 PM
If you are talking about my opinion, it would require many (at least a couple of dozen) fire arms, and plenty of ammo to go with them.

If you talking about the MSM, well 2 loose rounds of .22lr, a pocket knife, and a picture of a gun would probably be enough.

BSA1
May 8, 2013, 05:02 PM
My favorite definition is when "I have more than I need but not as many as I want." spoken by V.P. Cheney

Akita1
May 8, 2013, 05:03 PM
add a sling shot and you have a "cache"

Ken70
May 8, 2013, 05:07 PM
MSM would pop a gasket if they knew what most of the members at THR actually have. Dozens of guns, dozens of mags, thousands and thousands rounds of ammo. THEN, components to make thousands and thousands more. There outa be a law...

grilledcheese
May 8, 2013, 05:08 PM
Better yet, how many firearms do you need to own before the media just labels your home an ARMORY.

'Cause that's how many I want.:D

Jeffrey

gym
May 8, 2013, 05:09 PM
I still see those cannons, or at least on big one, being mandatory for the word to be applied. Maybe we can petition msnbc or cnbc to make it part of their book of misused words or the censorship applied in reverse. It would be a funny way to get some humor into the gun debate, "although it's a serious subject", while at the same time making it obvious that the misuse of the language is indeed silly, and falsely being applied for shock value.
And they are more guilty of it than anyone with this Pierce , guy, calling everything an arsenal, "why do you need an arsenal" to protect your home.
Or they found a Cache of weapons in the gunman's home. When it's indeed a small knife and a glock with 2 magazines it came with
It would be nice to call a duck a duck.

Midwest
May 8, 2013, 05:40 PM
I cringe when I hear "Arsenal" . I think back to 1994 after it was some term made up by the anti-gun crowd to demonize firearms owners and firearms enthusiasts.

Some might recall that there was a proposal for an "Arsenal License" under Brady II. Yes there was a proposal for The Brady Bill Part II in 1994. But with the Republican landslide in 94, the bill never seen the light of day.

http://www.volokh.com/posts/1190402417.shtml

"Any person who owns 20 or more firearms or more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition or primers (e.g. two "bricks" of rimfire ammo) would be required to get an "arsenal" license. To obtain a federal arsenal license, a person would need to be fingerprinted, obtain permission of local zoning authorities, and pay a $300 tax every three years. Her home would be subjected to unannounced, warrantless inspection by the government up to three times a year. "Arsenal" owners would also have to obtain a $100,000 dollar insurance policy."

To dispel rumors ...the bill did NOT pass, it did NOT see the light of day. No one is proposing it now either....

RetiredUSNChief
May 8, 2013, 05:48 PM
It doesn't matter what the definition of "arsenal" is.

"Arsenal", like "assault rifle", is nothing more than a powerfully evocatave descriptor deliberately used by the gun-control factions to make gun owners, and gun ownership, sound bad.

No more, no less.

Dr. Sandman
May 8, 2013, 06:00 PM
This is from the American Heritage Dictionary

ar·se·nal (ärsə-nəl)
Share: ar·se·naln.
1. A governmental establishment for the storing, development, manufacturing, testing, or repairing of arms, ammunition, and other war materiel.
2. A stock of weapons.
3. A store or supply: an arsenal of retorts.

I think yous guys have it all wrong! I would say that more than one weapon constitutes an arsenal. I think that the more people who have arsenals, the better for our cause.

MasterSergeantA
May 8, 2013, 06:05 PM
The Chief hit the nail on the head. The word is chosen to evoke a very visceral reaction in people...especially those who know nothing about firearms.

silicosys4
May 8, 2013, 06:36 PM
in its most common useage these days, "arsenal" = any gun in private ownership that is not a double barrel shotgun.

45_auto
May 8, 2013, 06:38 PM
2. A stock of weapons.

Cool. That means that every house in the US with more than one knife in the silverware drawer has an "arsenal"!

MilsurpShooter
May 8, 2013, 06:49 PM
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/02/lawrence-mulqueen-facebook-freak-out-over-guns.html?mid=google

two rifles, a sword, bayonets, brass knuckles with a knife attached, body armor, and a bunch of ammunition.

At least that's what constitutes one around here.

dakotasouth
May 8, 2013, 07:06 PM
The "big building with cannons" version is the one that enters my noggin.

clutch
May 8, 2013, 07:09 PM
When the number of guns = your years of age. I'm 5 short but working on it. :D

Piratesailor
May 8, 2013, 07:14 PM
with the MSM it's a daisy and more than 2 BB's. Or more than two pencils.

probably safe to say that most on this forum would be considered as owning an arsenal.

Warp
May 8, 2013, 07:24 PM
This is not a quantifiable thing.

It is subjective and, as noted above, generally used to elicit an emotional response, and possibly used to create a perception that is different from reality.

For me, personally, talking private ownership, I wouldn't consider anything an "arsenal" until it is multiple duplicates of firearms, probably rifles, setup the same, with ammunition, magazines, other supporting equipment, etc, kept with the intent and purpose of being able to equally and effectively arm a group of people. Perhaps you have 6 identical rifles each with 6 magazines and 500 rounds of ammunition so that you can arm your family members who didn't see to it for themselves, or didn't bring when traveling, etc.

Nothing I can afford to do, lol.

rugerman
May 8, 2013, 07:25 PM
Hope I don't have a wreck, according to what I'm reading I have a arsenal in my truck!

Romeo 33 Delta
May 8, 2013, 07:52 PM
Clutch ... I'm screwed! I can't possibly live that long. People only lived that long in the Old Testament! Does that mean I have to sell off everything that's in excess of my age?:what:

baz
May 8, 2013, 08:05 PM
Better yet, how many firearms do you need to own before the media just labels your home an ARMORY.
You only need one. But you need to be able to manufacture it. Get a 3D printer, and plans from Defense Distributed, and you, too, can be an armory.

john wall
May 8, 2013, 08:56 PM
From those who know, a collection may have 50 guns.

An arsenal may have 20 identical AK's or AR's, with like mags and ammo.

May 8, 2013, 09:05 PM
Any guns contained in a COMPOUND is an arsenal.

Any house on the news is a COMPOUND.

JFrame
May 8, 2013, 09:18 PM
In contemporary news media usage, "arsenal" is an alarmist term used to paint an overall negative portrait of nearly any person owning firearms. In such general news media usage, I believe one handgun, one rifle (any style), and a half a box of ammo for either would qualify as an "arsenal."

Ryanxia
May 8, 2013, 09:49 PM
I would concede that an amount over 10,000 firearms by a private collector may be considered an arsenal. Luckily it is still our Constitutional Right. Continue to arsenal on everyone.

Ed Ames
May 8, 2013, 10:29 PM
I think an arsenal is what every family (individual or group of people living together as a social unit, regardless of legal or biological relationship) should have.

I think an armoury is what every home should have.

I may be an outlier. :)

The-Reaver
May 8, 2013, 10:34 PM
Enough to supply a small army should be considered an arsenal.
As in a minimum of 5k

A cache, meh 50-100

TCB in TN
May 8, 2013, 11:24 PM
I would concede that an amount over 10,000 firearms by a private collector may be considered an arsenal. Luckily it is still our Constitutional Right. Continue to arsenal on everyone.
If it takes 10k arms then I am going to seriously pick up the pace.

Zardaia
May 8, 2013, 11:28 PM
I'd say that gut instagramming his 100+ gun collection might count, assuming he's got the ammo to match. Of course that's probably just envy. Short of that, idk, matter of opinion.

herrwalther
May 9, 2013, 03:15 AM
Arsenal is a fear mongering term. Like assault rifle. You could have a few single shot .22s in a cardboard box with a brick of ammo and it would probably be an "arsenal" on CNN.

Twiki357
May 9, 2013, 03:58 AM
If an arsenal is defined as... number of guns = years of age, I'm in trouble. To few guns and to many years and to small of a SS check to balance it out...... But, I am trying. :)

xxjumbojimboxx
May 9, 2013, 04:02 AM

'Cause that's how many I want.:D

Jeffrey
... giggled.

I could arm my street for a duration of conflict.

Not that i would...

MINE... all MINE!

Blackstone
May 9, 2013, 04:52 AM
I've always thought you need to have multiples (like 5+) of the same gun before it can be considered an "arsenal"

OilyPablo
May 9, 2013, 07:10 AM
Arsenal is a fear mongering term. Like assault rifle.

This.

Arsenal used in most news article when describing a gun owner or criminal tells me the author is: pushing the usual anti agenda, lazy, ignorant. Not the type of writer I depend on for "news".

Silverado6x6
May 9, 2013, 09:07 AM
The MSM would really get all wee'd up if they had any proof that all the ammo disappearing off the shelves was in reality an organized grass roots ammo collection program with the sole intent to redistribute equally to a Continental Militia.

Arp32
May 9, 2013, 09:43 AM
A police officer once accused me of having an arsenal for being in possession of a 10/22, two shotguns (one being stored at my house by a buddy who was traveling) and a 1911.

While she ran serial numbers, her partner asked my about the 870. Said he had never shot one until the academy, and thought they were pretty cool.

I'd say based on "4" bring an arsenal, 90%+ of THR members must have HUGE caches.

jem375
May 9, 2013, 11:18 AM
I got into it with a gal reporter that wrote an article on a shooting where a nut had a 9MM, 2 magazines, and a knife and she wrote that the man had an arsenal on him. I wrote that in that case, I have an arsenal every day when I am carrying...

InkEd
May 9, 2013, 12:00 PM
I think of (at least) a large room FULL of weapons. I would say enough to WELL arm a minimum of 50 people.

InkEd
May 9, 2013, 12:07 PM
Also, I want to add that it's funny how people (especially anti-2a folks) react to the word "arsenal" but don't even bat an eyelash when they hear the word "armory."

Springfield Armory=Not a big deal.

Tula Arsenal=Evil stockpile of death.

bigdaa
May 9, 2013, 12:11 PM
In California I've seen 3 rifles a pistol and a shotgun glorified (horrified) as an "arsenal"
But, that is agenda driven.

Before the great "boating accident" my collection of 29 arms would cause a great disturbance in the "farce" here. :(

Baba Louie
May 9, 2013, 12:32 PM
To some, an arsenal is "A Gun" and as such, a baaaad thing.

For others, an arsenal is a "nice little collection" and a darned good thing to own (or steward, since the arms in question only belong to us for a little while).

Technically, we know what an arsenal is defined as. The connotation of the word however can be used, heck, IS used, in a negative light in the media.

C'est la vie.

bannockburn
May 9, 2013, 01:19 PM
It does seem strange (though not within the context of the anti-gunners agenda), that perhaps a generation ago the U.S. was considered the Arsenal of Democracy, and that it was a good thing.

Potatohead
May 9, 2013, 02:36 PM
good question

bigdaa
May 9, 2013, 02:45 PM
It does seem strange (though not within the context of the anti-gunners agenda), that perhaps a generation ago the U.S. was considered the Arsenal of Democracy, and that it was a good thing.
PC is one heck of a beo*ch!

FNHiPower
May 9, 2013, 03:04 PM
My definition of an arsenal is weapons in a locker at a military armory or installation.

I think the Lame Stream Media (LSM©) has a sliding scale definition. Could be a firearm + air-soft + BB gun + kitchen knife + bike lock with chain ..... Use your imagination.

TAKtical
May 9, 2013, 03:09 PM
An arsenal to me would be racks and racks of weapons. Ive heard the media refer to two pistols, a rifle, and a shotgun as an arsenal.

Zeke/PA
May 9, 2013, 03:28 PM
The local Cops last week apprehended a Drug Dealer with the "Goods", lots of cash and a stolen(reported) Glock with two rounds in the mag.
My hope is that the perp gets treated like he had an arsenal.

GambJoe
May 9, 2013, 07:56 PM
A couple guns, a couple knives, a couple boxes of ammo and a Hustler magazine.

NHCraigT
May 9, 2013, 08:57 PM
Its a person that pisses you off to no end, that you just can't stand, irritates you in every way. Just really offends every part of your senses. In fact, there are probably a lot of them on this forum.

...oh wait a minute, you asked about an "arsenal"....

....never mind....

Millwright
May 9, 2013, 09:17 PM
Strange how PK influence has altered the "terms of debate" ! Traditionally, an "arsenal" has been a site where arms, (not necessarily firearms), have been crafted and stored. Numbers, size, style never figure into it ! With the advent of firearms stores of powder and canon/shot were included in both the popular and military jargon.

Now it seems anyone with a small cache of arms - edged and otherwise - is deemed to, "have an arsenal", regardless if they have the skills/capacity to craft, restore/repair or manufacture arms. IOW, any collection of edged weapons or firearms - and their accessory/impelling powers - are now deemed an "arsenal" in the LSM. >MW

If you enjoyed reading about "What constitutes an Arsenal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!