Faux Twist pattern on gun barrel

PDA

Bobsen
May 9, 2013, 05:28 PM
I'm interested in applying a twist like finish to a steel barrel
Many many years ago a guy at the then club showed me a twist barrel then went on to explain it was a rust pattern he had done himself.
He said as I remember that he wound string around the barrel and then applied rusting solution and left the barrel to go rusty after a few days hr removed the string and cleaned the barrel to reveal the twist like pattern.
Well I've tried it and I cannot reproduce the effect has anyone ever tried to fake a twist steel barrel or know of a way to do this :banghead:
It all part of my wish to make a gun look older than it is not to fool anyone except me maybe.
Many thanks baker rifle bob

If you enjoyed reading about "Faux Twist pattern on gun barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ApacheCoTodd
May 9, 2013, 11:08 PM
I hate to be "that guy" but try a search here. Seems a fella did just that in the past several months or maybe an old thread was resurrected. In any case, it was pretty damn cool and I can't imagine that I'd have seen it anywhere else I look into.

Might have been in relation to a hammer forged "faux" barrel thread now that I think about it. You may want to try that search too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Faux Twist pattern on gun barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!