Colt PPS

PDA

DCP
May 10, 2013, 10:11 AM
I have a old Colt PPS in 38 special is the front sight pressed in or what

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt PPS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
May 10, 2013, 10:20 AM
The barrel has a half-moon shaped groove at the front, and the sight blade is silver soldered in it.

DCP
May 10, 2013, 11:18 AM
The barrel does have a half-moon shaped groove at the front.

If Sight blade is silver soldered in. Would it had been brazed or soldered?

You cant see any solder at all

rcmodel
May 10, 2013, 11:27 AM
Silver solder is neither lead solder or braze.

It is silver bearing alloy and when done properly with a tight joint as done by Colt, you won't be able to see it.

http://www.brownells.com/items/silver-solder.aspx

rc

Jim K
May 10, 2013, 03:42 PM
I don't think that sight is soldered in; it is simply a press fit.

Jim

Old Fuff
May 10, 2013, 05:08 PM
I've have on occasion, salvaged a front sight from a cut-off stub or otherwise ruined barrel, and found them to be silver soldered. This is not to say some might have been pressed in, but the groove is very shallow and I suspect a hard blow would knock one out of place if the blade wasn't soldered.

BBBBill
May 10, 2013, 06:47 PM
Not to say that some might not have been, but every one of that type that I've dealt with was silver soldered.

DCP
May 11, 2013, 07:36 AM
I am thinking of fitzing it. Maybe more trouble and expense than I expected.

It is a 4 inch and the finish is not that good, if I fitz it I will refinish it. If not I will leave it alone.
It may be better to just find a good old Colt or Smith 2 inch

Clark
May 13, 2013, 01:39 AM
There is nothing better than a Colt double action revolver, and they are not making them any more.

Here is a similar thread
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524247

Old Fuff
May 13, 2013, 10:35 AM
I am thinking of fitzing it. Maybe more trouble and expense than I expected.

Before you do anything go out and shoot it. The Police Positive Special is identical to the more famous Detective Special, except for the barrel length (4, 5 or 6 inches rather then two). In an inside waistband holster it's almost as easy to carry as a snubby, but a lot better gun if you have to use it. Most of the ones I've shot were tack-drivers, out as far as 100 yards.

Finish has absolutely nothing to do with the way it shoots. The cost of a quality refinishing these days may come close to the revolvers "as-is" market value. You can never recover the money spent, and if you use/carry it the finish will become worn again. As a safe queen you gain nothing because it's not a valued collectable.

The Old Fuff is a big time FITZ-fan, but keep in mind that they aren't very popular these days, mostly because people don't understand the concept behind them. That said, if you cut away the front of the trigger guard the resale/trade value will drop way, way down.

By the way, a Detective Special barrel will fit, after which the present PPS will become the popular snubby. The model is stamped on the barrel, not the frame. ;)

PotatoJudge
May 20, 2013, 06:14 PM
So how do people typically remove the sight?

4v50 Gary
May 20, 2013, 06:22 PM
Clark - that was a fun thread at TFL (I wanted to work on that gun). I raise yours with another archived thread. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?=s&threadid=20347

Old Fuff
May 20, 2013, 07:03 PM
So how do people typically remove the sight?

With a hacksaw cut on the barrel behind the front sight, I suspect. :what:

Gunsmiths usually heat the base of the sight until the solder flows, and then tap the sight out of the slot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt PPS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!