Remington barrel stamp

PDA

gmckinney626
May 10, 2013, 12:35 PM
Looking to have a barrel restamped. This is the "E. Remington & Sons, Ilion, NY USA" lettering. Turnbull doesn't have the stamp. Any suggestions???

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington barrel stamp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
May 10, 2013, 04:24 PM
If I understand correctly, Turnbull does not restamp restored guns; they have some skilled engravers who can turn out a close facsimile of the original stamping. I think that is what you will have to do. Having a stamp made is not impossible, but I think it would cost more than having the marking engraved.

You could contact here for an idea of cost:
http://www.illinoisengraving.com/custom-steel-stamps-marking-dies.html

Other alternatives are laser engraving and EDM. Both will look far less original than good engraving, though.

I strongly advise against trying to DIY with single letter hand stamps - unless you are willing to practice a lot, the result will likely be less than satisfactory.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington barrel stamp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!