How about a monthly raffle

PDA

gym
May 10, 2013, 06:01 PM
I asked this question a while back, and I believe that there was a possibility of revisiting if down the road, "but we never did"
I would be willing to help with any work involved, or anyone who you guys felt comfortable with.
The idea was just to have members who were interested chip in , "say a dollar" per chance, and raffle off a gun, or scope, or something else having to do with our sport?
Of course there would have to be enough interest among members. And the powers that be, would have to give it their blessing. Personally I think it's a good idea to not just keep guys interested, "which they already are" but bring in new members.
Plus it would be nice to take a chance for a buck or two to win something from THR. Before anything else, is there any interest from the Mods in pursuing this, or is it just to much of a pain in the butt?
It also might help to offset the costs of running the site, if say a percentage went to the operating costs of the server and other costs.

If you enjoyed reading about "How about a monthly raffle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CharlieDeltaJuliet
May 10, 2013, 06:24 PM
I like the idea.... It could generate some revenue for the site costs. I also think we should have a "firearm of the month" contest... No prize, just something that people can show some hidden gems , custom builds or almost forgotten relics. Then let everyone vote in a poll to choose the winner.

I do like the raffle idea. Just curious if the revenue would pay for the item in the raffle.... Some months it might not....

rcmodel
May 10, 2013, 08:06 PM
Just curious if the revenue would pay for the item in the raffle....I'm no lawyer.

But I believe the gambling laws of the 50 states would be a nightmare to figure out and keep track of.

Not to mention the rest of the world.

The 'chipping in' part makes an office pool on the final-4 game illegal gambling here in Kansas.

rc

giggitygiggity
May 10, 2013, 10:42 PM
I think it's a great idea! Unfortunately, raffles in which you have to contribute money to participate are illegal.

Yes, even the 50/50 raffles at little league, peewee football games, firehalls, etc are all technically criminal activities. Nobody ever says anything about it because most people don't know they're illegal and those that know they're illegal know that they're being done for a good cause. In any case, I wouldn't want another THR member getting in trouble.

gym
May 10, 2013, 11:07 PM
There has to be a legal way to do it, maybe one of our members knows that way?

Mal H
May 10, 2013, 11:10 PM
No, the answer is still the same as before: "Too many legal/regulatory issues for THR to do this."

It probably wasn't readily apparent from hso's closing post in your previous thread, but it was discussed for about half a day by the THR staff and we came to the above conclusion.

The other thread is here: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=676119
Note in post #14 the edit following the ellipsis, and the "Last edited by ..." timestamp.

Jimbo2032
May 10, 2013, 11:11 PM
I've bought tickets at a ducks unlimited diner before, that was illegal? It was for a gun too.

hso
May 10, 2013, 11:55 PM
It depends upon the state and since THR goes far beyond a single state boundary the issue gets especially complicated.

The way you avoid the various state gambling laws is to have a drawing amongst a group regardless of whether they "donate" or not. That's a logistical nightmare for a web forum.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
May 11, 2013, 01:11 AM
Well that is that for a raffle, not to hijack the thread but what about a "firearm of the month" that is narrowed by mods and chosen by members... (No prize) other than the honor of being chosen).

JShirley
May 11, 2013, 07:33 AM
So...what's the point? Help me understand why.

John

hso
May 11, 2013, 07:47 AM
Ohh, I guess it's like all the football or basketball gambling boards at work that the guys at "the plant" used to run/participate in - they're a lot of fun for some folks. Heck, local Friends Of The NRA set up at gun shows and they have the same sort of thing as a fun(d) raiser where a shop donates a gun or light or ... and folks buy a chance off a board at X $ each to win. Lots of chances put some money back into the operator's pocket and the guys doing if for profit got paid and the organizations like F-NRA helped support their org and got people to stop and talk and engage.

I'm not a gambling sort of guy, but I bought the occasional chance from the guys running the football/basketball boards just to "be one of the guys" and I always buy a block on the F-NRA at the shows, but for some people it is great fun.

Pity it isn't easier to do when you're dealing with firearms so you don't need FFLs in one state to ship to another.

JShirley
May 11, 2013, 12:52 PM
I actually meant "why a 'firearm of the month'"?

Frank Ettin
May 11, 2013, 01:05 PM
Regarding things like Ducks Unlimited or NRA Foundation raffles, there are different rules for organizations which have a tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.

I did some fairly extensive research on this some time ago for another organization, and it's basically not legally possible unless one may enter without paying.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
May 11, 2013, 02:42 PM
@JShirley, another forum I am on (car forum) does this. It gives people a chance to show off relics or just something they are proud of. I would like to see some of the firearms that would come out of the woodworks.... Plus I look at it as a morale move, people will take it as an honor to show of a custom build, relic or rarity. Sorry, it was just an idea.

Also, on the car forum, they post a photo of the ride of the month on the forum homepage. I just thought it would drum up some intrest.

gym
May 11, 2013, 04:08 PM
How about members who already are FFL's, I'll bet we have one in every state. If they were interested in helping out, we could probably work out the details. I have seen it done before, "can't remember details now". I think Guns America does it, along wit a few others.
I know I am always getting emails with contest entries for guns being sent to people who entered a contest. Those are some times free, but there must be a way to donate the money, and give away the prize legally, possibly if you give some to charity, "which I am sure no one would mind.
Like wounded vets or training K9's.
I just think it would be stimulating to have something to look forward to that you actually have a shot at winning, over a period of years. We pretty much know the lotto is such a long shot, that we aren't going to likely hit that one.
But a nice new rifle or pistol, sure would make guys happy enough to talk up the site even more than normal. I know I tell dozens of people per year about THR, and a few did join.

Lucifer_Sam
May 11, 2013, 04:50 PM
I dont think you can do raffles, I've never seen a board with one.

If you want to do a monthly thing you can do a giveaway, as mentioned. When I've seen them, usually a member or members/staff donate something, and people just post in the thread to get a chance at winning it. I kind of like them. I'm of the opinion it might be best to make something like that only open to people with a certain number of posts, though, I've seen people on boards with giveaways post in the giveaway threads exclusively, and that kind of annoys me... Anyway, it doesn't have to necessarily be anything really nice or expensive, can just be mags, cleaning supplies, etc.

As far as raising money I've usually seen auctions for that. Members, staff, or businesses associated with the site donate something thats auctioned off, usually over its value, since its a charity auction. I guess they would be activism auctions here.

RCArms.com
June 2, 2013, 02:51 PM
Unfortunately I have heard of far too many instances of corruption with Raffles of all kinds. Usually it boils down to the administrator of the raffle skimming or rigging the results. That alone keeps me from participating in a raffle of any kind.

On an internet based raffle, I cannot imagine the headaches that would cause in administration, logistics, and legal issues.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Don

Derek Zeanah
June 2, 2013, 03:06 PM
Unfortunately I have heard of far too many instances of corruption with Raffles of all kinds. Usually it boils down to the administrator of the raffle skimming or rigging the results. That alone keeps me from participating in a raffle of any kind.

On an internet based raffle, I cannot imagine the headaches that would cause in administration, logistics, and legal issues.
We could work around the former -- everyone comment in a thread after they've bought a ticket to claim a number, then use the last 2-3 digits of the closing DOW price on a given day to determine the winner. Or something comparable and independently verifiable.

Administratively, it would suck. And every state seems to have its own rules regarding raffles, and compliance would be just about impossible.

I understand the appeal, but implementation would just be a nightmare. And a risky one, at that.

blarby
June 3, 2013, 04:58 AM
You could pick whatever 3 or 4 digit lottery was in your jurisdiction to pick the numbers.

If it was truly 100% free, and THR paid the appropriate taxes, this wouldn't be hard.

If you were making people pay for the tickets ? Good luck on that one, as Derek stated.

Now, if we had a "contributing member" raffle, where part of your contribution fees went to a raffle for a private club......... that'd be a lot easier.

MtnCreek
June 3, 2013, 06:38 PM
"contributing member" raffle, where part of your contribution fees went to a raffle for a private club

I've been to some 'private clubs' where you buy a cup, but the beer is free... (dry county).

The DU has it figured out. They typically have friendly, hot girls selling the tickets. I've never met Derek, but I'd imagine he would not have the same marketing capabilities as the DU girls. :)

Derek Zeanah
June 3, 2013, 06:42 PM
I've never met Derek, but I'd imagine he would not have the same marketing capabilities as the DU girls.You've never seen me in pumps. ;)

I won't wear a dress, but maybe an inappropriately short kilt. I think 5.11 makes a good one. I should ask Ken...

Mal H
June 4, 2013, 12:57 AM
Derek - I truly hope that is your round about way of saying - "It ain't happening, folks!" ;)

Derek Zeanah
June 4, 2013, 01:02 AM
Derek - I truly hope that is your round about way of saying - "It ain't happening, folks!" Buncha prudes I work with, I tell 'ya. :D

blarby
June 4, 2013, 02:06 PM
Awww.... I was hoping for a kilt and pumps.

The pics in the H&R section have been so dry of late....

CharlieDeltaJuliet
June 4, 2013, 02:44 PM
I still like the idea of a "firearm of the month". No raffle, no prizes. Just a chance for people to show off their "pride and joy". The only reason I say this is because a car forum I am on, does a "ride of he month". It generates a lot of excitement and interest in cars that some normally would never see or know about. They post a photo of the winner on the main forum page. Wouldn't matter if the mods or the community voted on the winner... I just think it would help introduce people to firearms that they may never be able to see or can only catch a glimpse in a museum.

I would love to see some of he old,rare and holy grail guns that members have.

JShirley
June 4, 2013, 02:54 PM
Individual members are free to start threads showcasing firearms or types of firearms in their collection.

blarby
June 5, 2013, 04:22 PM
What about a thread on pumps and kilts :D ?

JShirley
June 5, 2013, 05:02 PM
Okay, Larry, that was clever. :)

Mal H
June 6, 2013, 01:03 AM
I see nothing wrong with a thread on something kilt with a pump, but it should go in the Hunting forum.

:)

dprice3844444
June 6, 2013, 01:44 PM
How about a monthly raffle

depends are easy to ship

If you enjoyed reading about "How about a monthly raffle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!