How many AR mags per rifle?

PDA

MaterDei
May 11, 2013, 01:36 AM
Many people will say that they think that having 1000 rounds of ammo per rifle is a reasonable amount to have on hand. I tend to agree.

I'm curious about mags, specifically AR mags. How many mags per rifle would you consider prudent? I have 3 ARs and 32 mags. Seems like a lot but not having to load mags at the range is nice. Also, the threat of having some sort of federal ban on mags with higher capacities is never going to go away. Am I crazy thinking that 20 - 30 mags per rifle is prudent?

What say you?

If you enjoyed reading about "How many AR mags per rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
May 11, 2013, 01:39 AM
10, they wear out.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
May 11, 2013, 01:53 AM
Agreed, I always try to keep a "load out" (10 per rifle) for my AR's except my 24". I use 10-20 rounders in it and just haven't bought enough yet (only have 4 for it).

ColtPythonElite
May 11, 2013, 01:58 AM
I have had the same three that were issued to me loaded all the time except when they get used for bi-annual qualifying for 13 or so years. Never had an issue or saw a need for more.

stumpers
May 11, 2013, 02:04 AM
I have 37 mags for two ARs. 20, 20rd Brownell mags and the rest a mix of HK, DH, and others.

I would feel okay with 10 mags total. I can only shoot one gun at a time, wouldn't ever carry more than 6 or 8 mags at a time, and don't shoot more than 200 rounds per range trip.

That said, once prices drop I'm going to buy whenever I have extra cash so during the next panic, I don't panic.

MountainBear
May 11, 2013, 02:10 AM
ten to fifteen per rifle. five twenty rounders, ten thirty rounders...

gotboostvr
May 11, 2013, 02:10 AM
Colt, am I to believe you've only fired your duty weapon 630 times in the past 13 years?

3x30rd mags at 7 biannual qualifications makes for 630 to 639 if you load every mag on a loaded chamber.

Edit:Appologies to ColtPythonElite, I knew I had to have been missing something.

TIMC
May 11, 2013, 02:12 AM
10, they wear out.

That's a pretty good number and about where I would like to be. I have a pile of 20 and 30 rounders for .223 AR's and 20 for my .308 AR's. All are a mix of steel and Pmags. Problem is I have picked up a couple more AR's and it has brought my ratio down. Now I need the panic to end so I can get my mag supply back up to the 10:1 ratio.

ColtPythonElite
May 11, 2013, 02:26 AM
Got,

I believe bi-annual means twice per year.

HOOfan_1
May 11, 2013, 02:33 AM
Ha...I let the panic get to me.

I originally bought 2 30 round Pmags for mine. Then bought a 3rd as well as a couple of D&H Aluminum mags (which I don't like or plan on using). I was given 2 20 round Pmags. Then I ordered two more 30 round Pmags in August knowing Obama would get re-elected.

When the Panic hit, I back-ordered 4 more 30 round Pmags, which I now have, and 2 30 round Gen 3 Pmags, which I am still waiting for.

So I have

9 Gen 2 30 round Pmags
2 Gen 2 20 round Pmags
2 30 round USGI mags
2 Gen 3 30 round Pmags on backorder.

Soon I will have 15 mags for a single rifle, and I will likely only ever used 3-5 of them.

Certaindeaf
May 11, 2013, 02:53 AM
I think a "tactical load-out" is like a bunch.. unless you have a wheelbarrow.

bigdaa
May 11, 2013, 10:48 AM
10 here plus spare springs.

ID-shooting
May 11, 2013, 11:00 AM
In the day, load was 7 mags, one in the rifle, six in the two mag pouches but I am from the Desert Storm era. An 11b buddy of mine who just got tells me that 10, (one in rifle, three mag pouches), is the new norm.

Since I don't own an AR, I think "as many as you can afford" is a good number but Ruger mags are stupid expensive.

Hunterdad
May 11, 2013, 11:07 AM
I have 7 and never had the need for more than 4 at an given time

Ditch-Tiger
May 11, 2013, 11:19 AM
I consider 6 mags per non-primary (handgun or fun rifle) firearm minimum, and 12 the minimum for a primary long gun.
That being said, I have a lot more for my AR's & AK.

yzguy87
May 11, 2013, 01:14 PM
I have a lot. I have 1 AR and one stripped lower. I have 29-30rd mags and 10-20rd mags and I will buy more. Why? Because I could see standard capacity mags out lawed some day. I don't think it will happen anytime soon because there are enough people who don't want their rights taken but America seems to be becoming more liberal in their beliefs. I hope I am wrong but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I may have enough for me but I'd like my children to have the same things I do. If 20 or 30 years down the road unconstitutional laws are passed and my family can no longer buy new products for themselves, I'd like to be able to give them something to enjoy and use for protection.

loose noose
May 11, 2013, 02:26 PM
I have two AR-15s and have 6 30 round mags and 6 20 round mags, now my Mini-14 I've got 6 30 round mags & 3 20 round mags, as well as the 5 round mag it came with. Recently shot the Bushmaster up at Front Sight in Pahrump, NV. and used 6, 20 round mags exclusively with no problems (P-Mags). I've had the 30 round Mags for over 20 years and never had a problem, will I buy more probably, but for now I'm comfortable.:D

Skylerbone
May 11, 2013, 02:56 PM
I load my own ammo so I prefer having magazines to store that ammo in. Load the magazines, drop them into the ammo cans and forget about them until range day. I still have thousands of loose rounds in cans so I still need more magazines. 20 for every family member you have that might inherit an AR might be a good number.

The_Armed_Therapist
May 11, 2013, 03:00 PM
At least 1 per rifle. After that, n+1. I have about 50 mags, but don't even quite have enough ammo to fill them all. I'm in ammo buying mode, but when I reach the mag limit, I'll get more mags.

It is true, though, that if you ever needed that many mags you'd be on the move and wouldn't be able to carry that many. LOL... So... Maybe I am a little crazy. They'll make good barter chips, though, should the time come.

cfullgraf
May 11, 2013, 03:17 PM
I have ten for my service rifle, eight for the rapid fire stages marked either two or eight, one spare, and one with a single shot follower.

Other than that, I have no idea. I have an adequate supply on hand and before November 2012 would buy a couple when I found a good price.

I like 5 and 10 rounders for use in my long, heavy barrel, "crew served" AR.

Dunkelheit
May 11, 2013, 03:29 PM
10 mags per rifle and 4 mags per handgun.

A lot ammo and a many bullets and primers.

Onward Allusion
May 11, 2013, 03:31 PM
MaterDei
How many AR mags per rifle?

Yup, they wear out. At least a dozen for any single firearm. A couple for the range and the rest for a rainy day. Spare parts, too.

Welding Rod
May 11, 2013, 03:49 PM
I don't really see a relevant link between number of mags (And ammo) and number of ARs.

One man can only pack and use so many guns.

Personally I think the right number is based more on how much shooting a guy does, and how old he is. Number of children might be a consideration for some as well. I buy with the intent of being stocked for my foreseeable lifetime.

I shoot a fair bit, mostly in organized matches, and like to have at least 50 mags on hand, but I don't really see any particular reason to buy more than 100. I don't have a realistic expectation of outliving the service life of my supply at my frequency of use, and I don't buy gun stuff for speculative purposes.

As far ammo, I do reload but it still seems prudent to me to keep at least 5,000 rounds on hand so I can shoot uninterrupted during these shortages, while still keeping 2,0000 or so on hand for contingency use.

fireside44
May 11, 2013, 03:58 PM
20 mags for one go-to rifle. 10 each if you have more than one of the same weapon.

xxjumbojimboxx
May 11, 2013, 04:00 PM
I do not own an AR15,
I got out of .223 after the panic... Wasnt feasible anymore... still isnt.
But I do have three AK's... Which i love. Ive got well over 10000 rds for them as they used to be cheap, and still kind of are considering... And I always buy a few mags when i see them cheap (usually tapco's cuz they're really cheap) but whenever i can find steel mags under 12 dollars i load up. I've got well over 50 now. Lots of guns, lots of bullets, lots of mags, put them away is my suggestion. Worse comes to worse, another panic breaks out, and you can capitolize on all of the dummies who didnt prepare themselves. Best case scenerio, your ready for anything. I say as much as you can!

saenzrich
May 11, 2013, 06:45 PM
I have (17) Blackdog/CMMG mags for my CMMG 22lr M4.

Deltaboy
May 11, 2013, 06:48 PM
6-10 per a gun

clutch
May 11, 2013, 07:00 PM
How fast do you want to burn ammo? That seems to be one reason for having a lot of mags. I have 4 20 round, 2 30 round, and 1 5 round mags. When I shoot the rifle, I tend to load 10 and shoot a group, or load 5 each in two mags and shoot a 10 round group. if I want to kick cans, I have a 10/22 (6 mags) for that. :D

I don't think any of us really think we are going to be in a fire fight that takes more than a mag or two.

Now if you are an end of times type, your perceived needs might be greater.

gotboostvr
May 11, 2013, 08:23 PM
I have 6 GI mags with magpul followers and Ranger plates, and one Lancer AWM, which I'll probably be buying more of. Plus a few 20rd PMags.

I had a whole box of 30rd PMags in the wrapper, but used them as trade fodder.

Quentin
May 11, 2013, 08:26 PM
Well you have 32 for 3 ARs and if they're all reliable you're in good shape. Still, it doesn't hurt to pick up good mags and ammo when you see a deal. You'll find a use for them and may later cull out some mags you don't care for as much or ones that get damaged or worn.

Warp
May 11, 2013, 08:34 PM
Depends.

But I don't think of it as "per rifle". It makes no sense to me to say that if I have one AR I ought to have X number of mags, and if I have 3 AR's I ought to have 3X mags. But this assumes that the rifles are primarily for use by me. I suppose if you, I don't know, planned on handing these rifles out to people, or selling/trading the rifle + ammo + mags as an all inclusive kit, then you would want a fixed number of mags per rifle.

Magazines do in fact wear out eventually. But a quality mag can take thousands of rounds to wear out, making the cost of the magazine trivial, at best, compared to the ammo. They can, and WILL, if you train enough, get broken prematurely.

For your regular-Joe private citizen whose AR is used for range fun, plinking, hunting, home defense, 'just in case', whatever, I'd say a minimum number of magazines for 1 rifle is 18. That's my number. I arrived at it this way: 6 magazines kept loaded and ready to go. Not necessarily so you have immediate access to all 6, but because they can be in different locations. For example, I have one in my go-to rifle, two in a leg rig, one in a vest, and one in a belt pouch. That's 5 loaded mags, but not because I would take all of them if I grabbed the rifle. Between the leg rig, vest, and belt pouch I might only have or take one of those

Then, beyond that, 6 more for use training. Once the first six are proven reliable, they are kept loaded but not used very often, or very hard, so that they stay in great condition. The next 6 are used and abused.

Finally, the third set of 6 is 'put back' for the future, in case they are not readily and cheaply available in the future, and you need to rotate out.

---
That said, the vast majority of people are limited by ammunition.

Look at it as an entire system. Firearms, spare parts, ammo, magazines...if you were stuck with only what you have now, what would run out first? Second?

I'll bet it isn't magazines.

Buy more ammo.

Yes, I know. The market is bad right now.

Still, buy more ammo.

Atticaz
May 12, 2013, 12:18 AM
I have 10 30 round PMags for my AR, 10 15 round mag for my Beretta 92FS and 3 for my Beretta Nano.

joed
May 12, 2013, 12:28 AM
My experience parallels Colt. Never had a mag break or wear out. At present I hav 4 Magpul 30 rounders and 2 20 rounders + 1 10 rounder. That's more than I'll ever need.

InkEd
May 12, 2013, 01:30 AM
I own about 30 for my AR but only 10 get taken at a time.

sixgunner455
May 12, 2013, 03:48 AM
How many do you need? What does need have to do with this! This is America, the United States of Freedom! We got God, Guns, mom's apple pie, and Baseball!

Buy more mags! Buy more ammo! Get as many as you want and can afford, and be happy!

:D

As for me, I like GI magazines, with PMag or equivalent followers. I'll never use a GI follower again, if I can help it. I like PMags, too, but I have a stack of cheap GI magazines, so I only have one PMag I got for a normal price last summer. Just happened to have a $20 in my pocket when I cruised through a gunshop that had them for $17/ea. I bought it b/c that's what I did then - if I saw a mag I could use at a reasonable price and had the money, I bought it. To my way of thinking, right now, I'd rather buy ammo or reloading components than touch another mag.

I like Warp's thought process - 18 mags (a rota of three sets of mags - 1 duty, 1 training, 1 reserve). It makes sense, and I may adopt it. Dang, that means I have to buy more!

But I have been operating on a different premise - that a guy can get by with 2 or 3 mags, if he has enough ammo and stripper clips. I keep one in the weapon, and a couple more loaded, and have a stack more in reserve. The reserve mags are the ones that go to the range.

I'm not in Afghanistan or Iraq (anymore). I'm not going to throw a .50 cal ammo can full of loaded mags behind my seat or on the floor by my feet on the off chance that the 7-10 mags on my person won't be enough. :D Nowadays, if I'm carrying my AR in my vehicle to go on a hike or hunting, odds are I have 2-3 mags, and that's it. When I hike, one will be in the rifle, one in my ruck or pocket, and the other will probably stay in the truck.

baz
May 12, 2013, 09:52 AM
I have an even dozen, for a Tromix Saiga in .223. Because these are harder come by, I feel like I should have a few more than "necessary" should I lose any, or they become defective. But they are also more expensive ($33 each before the latest panic, now $44 each). I'm good with a dozen, but if I get flush with cash some time, I might buy three more. For an AR, I might be comfortable with just 10. Normally, they will be a little easier, and less costly, to replace.

mac66
May 12, 2013, 10:50 AM
Back in the 1980s I bought a bunch of mag pouches that hold 6 mags each. As a result, my basic load out is 6 mags per rifle. I do have a lot more mags than that accumulated over the years but never really use more than 2 or 3 mags for any given rifle.

The chance of using more than one 20 or 30 round mag in any situation short of an all out war/zombi apocalypse is pretty slim. Realistically, 3 mags per rifle is adequate. One in the rifle, a reload and another reload just in case of a malfunction. Three mags is pretty much what police carry for their pistols for the same reason.

elwoodm
May 12, 2013, 11:12 AM
just like the people that are buying up all the ammo and mags because they think this will be banned are sending the message to anti gunners that they are in control. stop buying more than you would if things were normal. that would send a much stronger message to washington. no need for more than 4 mags per rifle or handgun. don't be a puppet the pukes are keeping an eye on your reactions to what they do:scrutiny:

Warp
May 12, 2013, 12:58 PM
just like the people that are buying up all the ammo and mags because they think this will be banned are sending the message to anti gunners that they are in control. stop buying more than you would if things were normal. that would send a much stronger message to washington. no need for more than 4 mags per rifle or handgun. don't be a puppet the pukes are keeping an eye on your reactions to what they do:scrutiny:

I really don't think that buying an item they want to ban in massive quantities is a bad thing.

BTW: Some of the people who did so, and are doing so, such as Colorado residents, are possibly going to be very much ahead of the game for stocking up.

Motega
May 12, 2013, 10:34 PM
I own one 4000 round magazine but it sucks to load and very heavy too.

Heh, I probably have 15-20 mags but I never had one wear out and if I need to put more than 100 rounds downrage that quick there is damn sure going to be at least another 10-20 people firing with me or I am RUNNING not standing and fighting!

Zach S
May 13, 2013, 01:40 AM
10 is a nice round number for any defensive firearm. They get dropped, stepped on, sometimes lost, etc.

I have many more for my 5.56 AR, mostly USGI. Before the panic buying spree I would just watch for sales at various websites and buy them when they went cheap and if I had the money. Most of my AR magazines were less than $10 shipped.

jim243
May 13, 2013, 11:06 AM
I would look at it as how many can you carry at one time. While the mags are not that heavy, the number of rounds carried are. A reasonable number would be 5 mags, an emergency number would be 10 mags. Beyond that you might need a hand cart to carry all that ammo.

Jim

Warp
May 13, 2013, 11:08 AM
I would look at it as how many can you carry at one time. While the mags are not that heavy, the number of rounds carried are. A reasonable number would be 5 mags, an emergency number would be 10 mags. Beyond that you might need a hand cart to carry all that ammo.

Jim

There are many reasons to own/possess more magazines than what you can carry loaded on your person.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
May 13, 2013, 11:36 AM
Updated number... 15 per AR. Bought a few Hk mags for the MR556.

stumpers
May 13, 2013, 12:20 PM
no need for more than 4 mags per rifle or handgun

So, 30 Glock 19 Mags for two guns is too much? And my 37 AR mags for two rifles is too many?

Are you saying I should cancel my order for 10 more AR mags and stop buying G19 mags whenever I see them?

I'm glad I don't purchase based on needs then, just wants.

Warp
May 13, 2013, 12:46 PM
So, 30 Glock 19 Mags for two guns is too much? And my 37 AR mags for two rifles is too many?

Are you saying I should cancel my order for 10 more AR mags and stop buying G19 mags whenever I see them?

I'm glad I don't purchase based on needs then, just wants.

Different people have different 'needs', as well. Some may be for 4, some may be for many more. Still, I would argue for a "need" of more than 4.

But it is up to each person to decide how many they want, as you say. Well, how many they want and are willing/able to afford.

I'd much rather have 37 than 4, that's for damn sure.

jim243
May 13, 2013, 06:58 PM
There are many reasons to own/possess more magazines than what you can carry loaded on your person.

Possibly, but I took 20 mags with me to the range Saturday and only used 4 of them. Did I "need " to carry the other 16 there and back, I don't think so, they tend to get heavy, fortunately they were not on my body but in the truck, otherwise I would still be prone on the ground till someone came by to help me up (LOL).

I hope everyone understands they are re loadable, I think next time I will only take 10 with.

Jim

Warp
May 13, 2013, 07:05 PM
Possibly, but I took 20 mags with me to the range Saturday and only used 4 of them. Did I "need " to carry the other 16 there and back, I don't think so, they tend to get heavy, fortunately they were not on my body but in the truck, otherwise I would still be prone on the ground till someone came by to help me up (LOL).

I hope everyone understands they are re loadable, I think next time I will only take 10 with.

Jim

Owning or possessing a certain number of magazines, taking every one of them to the range at the same time, are two fairly different things.

When I went to the range a few days ago and took my AR I only brought, uh, maybe 5 magazines and I only actually used 2.

That doesn't mean I only have "need" for 2 magazines. Or only 5.

jim243
May 13, 2013, 07:09 PM
That doesn't mean I only have "need" for 2 magazines. Or only 5.

Depends on how you define "need", sounds to me you only needed 5 on that day. But what do I know, I was dumb enough to carry 20 with me. In the past 50 years, I have had only 3 mags go bad on me.

Jim

Walkalong
May 13, 2013, 07:54 PM
Considering the fact 30 that round mags could be banned one day, I plan to slowly accumulate more than I need, but fewer than I would like to have.

Dr.Rob
May 13, 2013, 08:00 PM
At least 10. We in Colorado learned this the hard way.

You use them a lot, even Pmags fail.

Warp
May 13, 2013, 08:00 PM
Depends on how you define "need", sounds to me you only needed 5 on that day.

What about some of the magazines I have already verified function with, that I keep loaded with defensive rounds, that I don't use/abuse at the range, that didn't come with me, but rather stayed where the rifle normally sits, in a vest, in a leg rig, in a BOB, etc?

What about yet other magazines that I keep new and unused, for future use? Because I don't plan on always being able to acquire new ones quickly and inexpensively.

I didn't use any of the other magazines I brought with because I ended up not doing anything that involved magazine changes. If I had done that, I would have had an immediate use for more of the mags I brought with me.

Considering the fact 30 that round mags could be banned one day, I plan to slowly accumulate more than I need, but fewer than I would like to have.

Same here.

I had over two dozen quality 30 round AR magazines in early December.

I was glad I did.

I have more now.

justice06rr
May 14, 2013, 12:16 AM
I would also say minimum of 10mags per rifle at the least. If you can have more than that, even better. And make sure they are quality mags like Pmags, Lancers, etc.

David E
May 14, 2013, 01:04 AM
10, they wear out.

I think you left off a zero....

ApacheCoTodd
May 14, 2013, 07:30 PM
For me it's 13 for the first rifle and at least 3 a-piece for the remaining rifles.

mac66
May 14, 2013, 07:37 PM
I think our kids (in my case grandkids) are going to end up with a lot (and I mean a lot!) of mags.

VA27
May 14, 2013, 10:19 PM
On a budget bare minimum-3 standard capacity (30 round). Minimum-7. Comfortable-10. No worries-any amount over 10.

Walkalong
May 14, 2013, 10:49 PM
I think our kids (in my case grandkids) are going to end up with a lot (and I mean a lot!) of mags.As it should be.

TanklessPro
May 14, 2013, 11:06 PM
Around 40 mags. All Magpul. All less than $12.

Arizona_Mike
May 14, 2013, 11:57 PM
10, they wear out.
The optional so-called "dust covers" push the top round down slightly take all the force off the plastic magazine lips.

Mike

cwbys4evr
May 15, 2013, 12:08 AM
Need does come into it from the standpoint of economy. How many mags can you store or effectively use? How many do you think you need for spares I'm case of others breaking? Add all that up and that is your personal "need

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

cwbys4evr
May 15, 2013, 12:09 AM
Hit the button before I was done. For me that number is 5 per rifle and three per pistol.

You will know how much is good for you when you look at what you have and feel comfortable with that amount

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Warp
May 15, 2013, 12:16 AM
Hit the button before I was done. For me that number is 5 per rifle and three per pistol.

You will know how much is good for you when you look at what you have and feel comfortable with that amount keeping in mind that a lot of politicians want to ban them, have succeeded nationally in the past, and are currently successful in many states

I added the part you forgot to write. Just as a reminder. :)

Certaindeaf
May 15, 2013, 12:26 AM
Since some of the persecuted of old shoved their Claymores into the thatch, a body could perhaps do their predecessors proud by shingling their house with magazines. oh yea

NormB
May 15, 2013, 12:32 AM
Ten magazines and a thousand rounds of ammo per gun was recommended to me decades ago and seemed like sound advice at the time, even more so now. Times being what they are.

David E
May 15, 2013, 05:10 PM
Ten magazines and a thousand rounds of ammo per gun was recommended to me decades ago...

Decades ago, you could buy more high cap magazines easily and cheaply.

Not so much right now.

Warp
May 15, 2013, 05:50 PM
Standard capacity. ;) Assuming you are talking about 30 or 20 round magazines for an AR, or something along those lines.

Standard capacity.

SabbathWolf
May 15, 2013, 07:04 PM
I do most of these things using the Rule of 3.

First, depending on which weapon I'm looking at...
I figure out how many loaded mags I can carry in an emergency while still being able to walk or jog a mile or two without killing myself from all the weight. This will be an individual self-evaluation to arrive at a comfortable number of mags for "You."
Everybody is different in endurance, strength, age, health, etc...

Then....I multiply that number by 3.

I keep one load out for offense.
One load out for defense.
And one load out held in reserve.

Any extra mags after that are for range use and/or just considered an added bonus to have.

Dr.Rob
May 15, 2013, 07:39 PM
Because of price increases and scarcity I locked up my hi cap mags. They take up an alarming amount of shelf space.

Beentown
May 15, 2013, 07:45 PM
6 per rifle. 3 per pistol. Minimums.

Potatohead
May 15, 2013, 07:47 PM
Many people will say that they think that having 1000 rounds of ammo per rifle is a reasonable amount to have on hand. I tend to agree.

I'm curious about mags, specifically AR mags. How many mags per rifle would you consider prudent? I have 3 ARs and 32 mags. Seems like a lot but not having to load mags at the range is nice. Also, the threat of having some sort of federal ban on mags with higher capacities is never going to go away. Am I crazy thinking that 20 - 30 mags per rifle is prudent?

What say you?
i say as many as you want by golly. i thought i was doin good with 5 per

JVaughn
May 15, 2013, 09:19 PM
25 is about my level.

Sheepdog1968
May 15, 2013, 09:52 PM
A friend of mine had a general rule of 10 mags for any firearm. I recall discussing it with him 20 years ago. He still kicks himself for not doing this for some of the more no longer manufactured 22 LR rifles as the mags are harder to find now and have gotten expensive.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many AR mags per rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!