How far would you shoot with a Bow?

PDA

flipajig
May 11, 2013, 12:40 AM
How far would you take a shot at deer size critter?
In different parts of the country you are limited on how far you are actualy able to see and some parts you can see for miles.
I used to live in Texas but have moved to Idaho where you can see as far as you want to.
So this raises the question how far would you take the shot. I have been shooting a bow for several years and shoot 2 to 3 times a week any where from 20 yds out to 70 yds in various wind directions I'm not bragging but I'm able to shoot a 3 to 5 inch group on very regular.
So given the right situation where the criter is not nervous and presents the right shot that you feel good about how far would you shoot.
To give you some insight on how I have my bow set up my bow is set at 70 lb carbon arrows that weigh 470 grains and 270 fps through my chronograph.
Lets here what you have to say.
Flip

If you enjoyed reading about "How far would you shoot with a Bow?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jmr40
May 11, 2013, 06:15 AM
When I was into bowhunting and practiced regular I felt that 20-25 yards was my limit with a recurve. With a compound bow, I could probably double that. I never really worked on shooting farther. Even if I made a hit, I'm not confident in a bows ability to cleanly kill from much farther.

Lloyd Smale
May 11, 2013, 06:27 AM
30 is it for me. Even now with using a crossbow i dont shoot any farther. Im just not one that thinks tracking wounded deer is fun!

shaggy430
May 11, 2013, 07:39 AM
40 yards.

Zeke/PA
May 11, 2013, 08:02 AM
30 yards tops but I've taken most of my bowkills at considerably less.
Shooting a compound from a treestand.

Tommy Medlin
May 11, 2013, 10:07 AM
45/50 yds.with my crossbow ,160 lb. pull,320 fps,but I like them closer.

303tom
May 11, 2013, 10:12 AM
Never take a shot over 35-40 yards !..................

buck460XVR
May 11, 2013, 10:15 AM
Range with a bow is no different than with a gun. Whatever range you can consistently hit the kill zone, For me that generally means 35 yards. But since where I bow hunt, there are few shot opportunities longer than 25 yards, I'm safe.

Marty183
May 11, 2013, 10:46 AM
30 yards give or take a few...

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

jrdolall
May 11, 2013, 11:50 AM
It becomes an issue of practice and ethics. I have seen friends consistently hit the target at 100 yards and I mean just about every shot. I have a friend who is awesome out to about 70 yards shooting a target but consistently misses deer at 30 yards.

A modern compound bow with a sharp broadhead is perfectly capable of killing a deer at 100 yards just like a 30-06 is capable of killing a deer at 800 yards but that doesn't mean it is a good idea for most. I don't know what the trajectory of an arrow shot at a target 100 yards away is but I know these guys were aiming at the sky and just a little bit of a breeze made it impossible. The farthest I have ever killed a deer with a bow was just under 60 yards and that was back in the 80s. Now I would never take that shot because I don't practice enough and I limit my shots to a maximum of 30 yards. If you are going hunting for Mulies, antelope or other plains species OR if you hunt the wide open plains for whities I think it is a good idea to be competent at at least 50 yards and probably more.

Patocazador
May 11, 2013, 12:41 PM
Range with a bow is no different than with a gun. Whatever range you can consistently hit the kill zone, For me that generally means 35 yards. But since where I bow hunt, there are few shot opportunities longer than 25 yards, I'm safe.
^^^^^^^^^ THIS.

If you can consistently hit the kill zone of a 3D deer target at 50 yards, then it's 50 yards. If you can only do it at 30 yards, that's what it is.

When I shot year-round I hit the kill zone on a deer target at 48 yards from a tree stand every shot. I have killed 2 deer at that distance or farther -- one at 53 yards, one at 48.

allaroundhunter
May 11, 2013, 01:51 PM
I'm confident to 35 yards. I have passed on several shots past that, but I'm not a trophy hunter so it really doesn't bother me. My conscious would be more affected by poorly shooting an animal than letting a large deer walk.

MCgunner
May 11, 2013, 01:53 PM
I am getting practiced up again, starting to get back in form after not shooting my bow for a couple of years. With the compound, I can keep 'em clustered in the kill zone from 30 yards consistently. From 40, mostly. So, at the moment, I think 30 yards is a good answer, but as I improve, out to 40 is likely. I ain't much good beyond that. My eyesight is part of the problem, light needs to be right for me to be consistent. That's part of the challenge of bow hunting, I suppose. Here in the woods, getting close isn't as big a problem as where you are, fortunately. And, we have plenty of deer and hogs here.

A friend of mine gave me a really nice Bear 50/55 lb stick bow, a wood recurve. I've been impressing myself with my ability to shoot without sights, instinctively. I never used to be that good at it, but I now know the reason. I'd never had instruction, just picked it up as a kid, but I was never consistent on my draw, never drew to the same spot twice. Concentration on follow through and consistent draw has helped me a LOT even with the stick bow, a new challenge. I am hitting, now, from 30 yards with the stick bow and think I could hunt with it at least from 20 with enough practice. Sightless traditional recurves are a lot of fun and even more challenge. I WISH I'd figured out the consistency thing back when I was a kid. I laid down my old Colt Plainsman 45 lb recurve for years, never picked it up. I got back into shooting bows and decided to try a recurve in 2008. So, even though I've been shooting a bow for a long time off and on, I'm not an accomplished bow shooter, but getting there. I don't know if I'll ever be comfortable taking a 50 yard shot at game with a bow, though. I think I'm about at my limit shooting 40 yards. I'm not even to the point I'm confident quite yet at 40. At 25 or 30 at this point, it's a done deal. :D

I believe in using the right tool. I don't bow hunt in open country, nor even do I handgun hunt in wide open country. If I lived in Idaho and couldn't find a trail in the woods for ambush, I think I'd stick with a rifle. Down here in the woods, I'm hopeful of filling a tag with a bow, finally. There's added incentive to bow hunt in this county, too, as doe are legal without a doe permit in bow season, not in gun season. I've got lots of doe. The doe/buck ratio seems a bit out of whack here due to this rule, too, methinks. With my bow this coming season, I'm going to shoot whatever walks. LOL

savanahsdad
May 11, 2013, 02:12 PM
30 yards from a tree stand , 40 yards from the camper ,:D

Nwflycaster
May 11, 2013, 02:14 PM
I regularly practice from 80 - 100 yards. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot 60 for an elk but would limit myself to 50 on a deer for the smaller kill zone and even then only under perfect conditions, meaning angle and the animal is relaxed and unawares.

snakeman
May 11, 2013, 02:23 PM
40 for me. there's just too many variables that can come into play in the time it takes for the arrow to get there if you shoot very far.

bpl
May 11, 2013, 08:31 PM
I didn't read all the replies, but for me no more than 30 yards.

27hand
May 11, 2013, 08:44 PM
For years I limited myself to 25 yds with a Whitetail Hunter and a Golden Eagle Evolution.
I know the bows had more distance but this was the range I could consistantly make good hits. I passed on many deer including a nice 10 point at 40 yds.

I stopped archery hunting for about 6 years ( bad rotator ) until last year when a buddy got me to try a cross bow. I ended up with a Ten Point Wicked Ridge and can hit 3" groups at 40 all day. At 50, the group spreads out to about 6" so I would say at this point, I would take a shot out between 40 to 50 and be comfortable doing so.

Last year, I connected with a 4X2 quartering away at 25. The arrow went through and hit exactly where I aimed. Deer ran 40 yds downhill. 3 weeks later, same tree, I had a doe at 25 yds quartering to me. Same result but she ran about 50 yds. Spitfire 100 hit dead on.

I just made some jerky yesterday :).

flipajig
May 11, 2013, 09:49 PM
This is getting interesting. While in Texas my longest shot was 30 Quartering away the Grim reaper did its job. Even there I shot out to 50 yds even if the shot opportunity doesn't happen but having the confidence to make a long shot I feel that it's a big confidence builder. And if the shot was presented I had the confidence to make it.
The same applies here I shoot regularly out to 70 and having the confidence to make a 70 yrd shot doesn't mean I have to take it a lot depends on the situation.
As to my Bow and penetration I have no doubt it will have enough kinetic energy to penetrate into the vitals. In Idaho you can't use a expandable you have to use a fixed blade I'm sold on a 3 blade Muzzy.
Flip

Kingcreek
May 12, 2013, 09:23 AM
I practice out to 50 yards and ive bow killed over 60 deer. Longest shot under ideal conditions was 36 and it took the aorta off the top of the heart. That deer bolted and actually dropped dead right under my tree stand.

Loyalist Dave
May 12, 2013, 09:38 AM
Whatever range you can consistently hit the kill zone,
Range with a bow is no different than with a gun. Whatever range you can consistently hit the kill zone,

You folks are not mentioning an important variable..., impact speed. You might have a bow and arrow set up that you can consistently place into a paper target backed by a straw bale or into a 3D target, but you need to pay attention to what sort of penetration that you have as well as the accuracy. I know that you guys understand this but a newer archer who reads this thread might not so I mention this here.

LD

Liberty1776
May 12, 2013, 11:33 AM
me - is 25-30 yds, tops. My gunsmith took a pronghorn at a measured 95 yards. His backyard range is 100 yards and he shot daily for months prior to his hunt...

Nalgi
May 12, 2013, 11:54 AM
I agree with Patocazador- its whatever you practice at with accuracy and confidence

ShortFatHokie
May 12, 2013, 11:54 AM
30-35 yards

flipajig
May 12, 2013, 01:09 PM
I started this thread to get some input,opinions, and information on my first post I listed the details on my bow. I'm a firm believer in big and slow verses small and fast. The reason behind my thinking is Penitration two holes are far better than one. Another thing is sharp blades even though they maybe new out of the pack you still need to check them and sharpen as needed.
Flip

MCgunner
May 12, 2013, 03:40 PM
Wow, I'll never be able to hit beyond 50, of this I'm quite sure. 100 yards with a bow boggles my mind.

You folks are not mentioning an important variable..., impact speed. You might have a bow and arrow set up that you can consistently place into a paper target backed by a straw bale or into a 3D target, but you need to pay attention to what sort of penetration that you have as well as the accuracy. I know that you guys understand this but a newer archer who reads this thread might not so I mention this here.

Well, I think I'm pretty safe 40 yards and in with somewhat heavy Easton Stalker 2117s from a 60 lb Hoyt compound, but I don't have ANY experience here at shooting flesh. I'm just figurin' it'll work. :D As I'd stated, I'm 100 percent confident at this point from 30 yards and my confidence starts to drop further out, but I''m working on it constantly. :D

22-rimfire
May 12, 2013, 03:49 PM
When I was into bowhunting and practiced regular I felt that 20-25 yards was my limit with a recurve. With a compound bow, I could probably double that. I never really worked on shooting farther. Even if I made a hit, I'm not confident in a bows ability to cleanly kill from much farther.
Pretty much the way I feel. My absolute limit with recurves was 40 yds and 50 is a pretty realistic number on compound bows. I could see a 70 yd shot on a larger game animal like a Moose or elk that you routinely don't get much closer than 50 yds.

I suspect that the same distances would apply with a crossbow. That is something I have been considering getting into just because I don't have the time to practice like I used to but really enjoyed bow hunting.

Kachok
May 13, 2013, 03:28 PM
25-30 is about all I want to shoot, used to shoot a little further before my accident messed up my nerves. Given my limited range and the fact that none of my friends bow hunt I did not even break out the bow last season :(

oldcelt
May 15, 2013, 07:47 AM
Before the time of the compound bow I hunted with a 53# recurve, four flecthed micro flite arrows, black diamond broardheads. My limit was 35 yds. Most generally 15yds to 25 yds were my shots and always complete penetration. Wow, when I think about it it scares me, it was at least 45 years ago

herkyguy
May 15, 2013, 08:49 AM
My compound will take me out about 30 yards comfortably. I target shoot farther than that, but my property doesn't afford me too many shots beyond that. with my recurve, no farther than 15 or 20 yards, although my treestands only give me about a 15 yard shot at the max.

grubbylabs
May 15, 2013, 10:39 AM
Out west here we can often times have shot opportunities at 40+ yards. For me it depends on how much I have shot during the pre season. Some seasons I feel good about 50-60 yards, some years 30 is pushing it.

Ground squirrels are a great pre season practice, hitting those little buggers is quite the challenge. You learn not to miss real quick when you start loosing arrows that are 100+ a dozen. Taking one off a dirt mound at 50 yards feels pretty good too.

H&Hhunter
May 15, 2013, 10:59 AM
I'd feel comfortable at 400 to 600 yards with a longbow..

This one.;)

http://www.snipercentral.com/longbow.htm

MCgunner
May 15, 2013, 01:22 PM
H&H...that is definitely cheatin'. :D

Patocazador
May 15, 2013, 04:18 PM
Before the time of the compound bow I hunted with a 53# recurve, four flecthed micro flite arrows, black diamond broardheads.
A 53 lb. recurve is quite a pull. I had a 50 pounder but it was too much for me. You must have been a bear of a guy.

Arkansas Paul
May 15, 2013, 05:25 PM
I shoot a crossbow and would not go over 40 yds. I had 2 big does standing at 55 last season and I just watched them.

flipajig
May 15, 2013, 06:43 PM
I have let several walk becouse something wasn't right as I have stated before you don't have to (Shoot). This is where Ethics comes into play.

oldcelt
May 15, 2013, 08:13 PM
All summer I shot a 38# Hoyt Medalist in tournaments, a few weeks would put me i good shape to pull 53#. No bear 5 ft. 8 in 165 lbs Lots of shootin

MCgunner
May 15, 2013, 08:53 PM
I've got two 50 lb recurves I shoot. I do have to work up to it by shooting my 60 lb compound first for a while, but I'm not huge, either, (6 ft 210 with a gut) and so long as i practice, I shoot 'em fine. One's a PSE Kingfisher I like to bowfish with.

22-rimfire
May 16, 2013, 09:33 PM
Bow hunting is good preparation for the handgun hunter. Years ago, I had three bucks (2-big 8's and a 6pt) standing about 50 yds from me and I just watched them. That took a lot of control. I'd probably take the shot today if I practiced at 45 yds with a compound bow... but I would have to make that judgement when it happens.

dagger dog
May 18, 2013, 07:36 PM
I shoot a Bear Montana 45# long bow and a Pearson 50 # recurve with 29" wood arrow and Wensel Woodsman fixed tri blade.

Can keep them in a 4" cluster @ 20-25 yds the farther it gets from there the groups start opening up. Penetration on those arrows drop off along with my accuracy, I wouldn't shoot at over 25 yds !

I can't get used to shooting a compound, especially have trouble with mechanical releases and peep sights.

MCgunner
May 19, 2013, 06:01 PM
I don't use a mechanical release on my compound, use my fingers, and there's no law says you have to use sights. They help me, though, even though I have to use my nearly blind non-dominant eye to shoot. Well, it's 20/70 corrected, not real good. I cannot read this print on this page with my right eye, why I shoot shotguns and rifles left handed, but I seem to be able to manage aiming the bow and I ain't coordinated enough to try a left hand bow.

H&Hhunter
May 19, 2013, 06:30 PM
I've got a Matthews Z-9 with pins out to 80 yards. And I shoot targets with it at 80 yards all the time. No problems.

Shooting game I like to be within 40 yards.

MCgunner
May 19, 2013, 08:49 PM
Well, I'm getting better. I started out the session today from 35 yards and put 'em all into a 6" bull. When I got tired, I pulled a few left, but not pulled really. I released while I was holding left, were called misses. I moved up to 25 after I tired and put 2 of 'em in the bull and called it quits. :D

I'll be ready for bow season. I can't figure I'll get a shot beyond 35 or 40 considering where I'm going to set up to hunt. A 25 yard shot is most likely.

dragon813gt
May 19, 2013, 09:14 PM
I took one at 30 yards two years ago. That's my limit. I can hit consistently at 50 w/ my crossbow. But that's on a non moving target that doesn't jump when the bolt starts heading it's way. Missing a few shots at around 25 yards this past season confirmed my self imposed limit.

Brought to you by TapaTalk

herkyguy
May 20, 2013, 04:31 PM
speaking of, i just pulled out my compound this morning and took a few shots at 20 yards just to get the dust off. it's about that time of year where i starting working my way into shooting the compound. shooting my 55lb bear grizzly all winter has kept me in good shooting shape.

Billy Jack
May 24, 2013, 10:39 AM
Everyone has their opinion and all are valid. However, the one thing that becomes vital with all of us is KNOWING THAT DISTANCE.
Yes with a good range finder or on a range where the distance is known, I can hit pretty darn close at any distance for which I have set up a pin. However, without knowing the distance precisely, the rainbow trajectory of any arrow will destroy any accuracy you THINK you have.
Most of us get pretty good at judging distance to 25-40 yards, plus the trajectory at that range is flatter. Past that distance most of our ability deteriorates a lot.
So the practice everyone mentions should also include REALLY practicing range estimation. Your shots then should never exceed your ability to accurately KNOW the range of the shot.

Sav .250
May 28, 2013, 11:33 AM
I have a personal limit of 40 yds. No matter what.

ZeroJunk
May 30, 2013, 05:54 PM
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see it mentioned that deer don't necessarily sit there and wait for an arrow to get to them. I don't care how quiet your bow is a jumpy deer will start crouching in to a run position when he hears it. So, shooting groups at 50 yards is fine, but there is no guarantee that the deer will still be where you were aiming. I don't mind taking a 50 yard shot on an elk which is not so agile, but no way on a deer.

flipajig
June 16, 2013, 07:40 PM
This is a normal group at 60 yds it's in the 5" range almost time for a new target they don't last to long. I wish there was some way to make one that would last longer oh well job security for the target manufactures.
Flip

Beentown
June 16, 2013, 07:56 PM
Out West, open terrian...60 yards
Mid West, wood lots/ag fields....40 yards but more likely 25 yards
Aware, spooky animal....30 yards

Here is the rig. Prime Impact 440gr arrow (usually) going 298 FPS.

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc329/beentown71/Archery-Hunting/PO6_zpsbe619403.jpg

HB
June 20, 2013, 06:52 PM
Depends on how bad I'm shaking! I'd say 30 yard on deer though. Bowhunting requires a lot of confidence and practice. If you've practiced to 40 yards consistently and have experience shooting deer, that's your max range. That being said I've met numerous hunters that have killed deer at 60+ yards. And not trying to sound like an advertisement but Rage broadheads have changed bowhunting considerably for me.

HB

Captcurt
June 22, 2013, 07:21 PM
Love to bowhunt. Have since the mid -60's. There were several years when I shot in 2 clubs with a 3D match monthly. A 60 yard shot on a deer target was routine and an elk at 70 was a dead elk. Maybe not in the 10 ring, but dead just the same. It did wonders for my hunting shots. There is just one problem. Paper and 3D targets DON'T MOVE. I have had deer "jump the string " at 25 yards. One left me with a 400 yard tracking job in the dark. Luckily I found that one. Now I shoot a faster bow but rarely take a shot over 30 yards. I know that I can hit where I want but when it is flesh and blood there are too many things to go wrong.

Bowhunter57
July 1, 2013, 10:49 PM
flipajig,
This is an easy question to answer...as it should be for every bowhunter. :)

I shoot as far as my skills will allow...with respect to the alertness of the animal that I intend to kill.

By this, I mean... I can shoot 4" groups at 60 yards. There's a difference between target shooting and hunting. The target shooting insures the skill and/or ability. Hunting skill will test everything you may have thought you knew, before the hunt. :)

However, a bow that's shooting 300+ f.p.s., which is about 1/5th the speed of sound will not defeat a deer's reflexes to duck an arrow. A deer can drop its' body's height in 1/3 of a second...if it's on alert.

Even a relaxed animal, at 40 yards, could turn to scratch its' butt and next thing you know, you have a wounded animal on your hands. Hopefully, a long blood trail and a good recovery. :confused:

That being said...if a bowhunter hunts long enough, you're going to wound one and hopefully find it. :banghead:

Bowhunter57

flipajig
July 2, 2013, 01:12 AM
Bowhunter 57 you are right there are alot of variables in Bow hunting and to make it happen everything has to happen just right. I have spent my share amount of time on a blood trail both great stories and some not so great as we all have if you spend enough time in the woods.
And every one who has stated that deer and other critters are not targets and the do move in split seconds. This is when it comes down to taking the shot or not and letting them walk when the time comes and they are spooky jumpy or what ever you are best to let them walk even if it is a 20 yard shot.
Another this is the differance between a White tail and a Mule deer. In the White tail woods my limit would be 30 yards depending on the deer.
For a Mule deer I would streach it out to 60 yards again depending on the deer and how the are acting.
Flip

Mat, not doormat
July 4, 2013, 02:53 AM
I've got a 50 yard pin on my bow, but the conditions would have to be perfect for me to try it. I'm not the greatest judge of wind the world's ever seen, either. Any normal day, though, 35-40 yards.

Spike_akers
July 7, 2013, 11:50 PM
The farthest I've ever successfully killed a deer was at 67 yards. I was using some old muzzy 125gr fixed broad heads and my inherited golden eagle compound..

I first shot at 20 yards, believing I missed when it finally stopped I estimated it at 70 and did my best (no pins over 40 yards)... I watched it go down 20 yards from the second shot. When I went to get the deer, found that I hit both times but the first shot was too close to the shoulder blade and it snapped off immediately as it ran, which is why I believed I had missed.. I normally won't try that far. But I wasn't letting that massive of a buck get away... Weighed in at 190lbs... Not huge for where I was, but big enough for me to not want to let it go.

T.R.
July 17, 2013, 08:17 PM
I've been hunting with a crossbow ever since an unhealed elbow fracture ruined my recurve shooting. I rarely shoot much beyond 20 yards or so but would take a broadside shot if presented at 35 yards.

TR

josiewales
July 20, 2013, 09:10 PM
40 yards and thats pushing it.

If you enjoyed reading about "How far would you shoot with a Bow?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!