Most fun with a gun?

PDA

JAshley73
May 11, 2013, 03:17 PM
So the gun/ammo shortages and 2A attacks can make us all a little weary... Lets forget all that for a moment.

I've been wondering a little lately, what kind of shooting activities do you all have the most fun doing?

I really enjoy clay-pigeon shooting. There's something about shooting a moving, flying target, and doing it rather instinctively as opposed to aiming and being precise, that makes it very fun for me. Even more so when the guys put in a few bucks and play some "knock-out" games for the pot.

I also enjoyed the few times my wife has gone shooting with me. Hopefully I can get her out a few more times. (Maybe even to the clay's range...)

So, what do you all have the most fun doing?

If you enjoyed reading about "Most fun with a gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gbeecher
May 11, 2013, 03:26 PM
I just enjoy slinging lead at paper targets from 25 yards, at my local gun shop/range. I shoot at silhouette targets (torso sized). I have a Mosin Nagant rifle and a Hi-Point C9 semi-auto handgun. Both are fun, but I do love the BOOM! of the old Mosin rifle, and the looks I get and questions about the gun. Good fun and a great stress reliever! :D

gspn
May 11, 2013, 03:26 PM
Killing werewolves...but silver prices are way up and brass is scarce....so now I have to settle for some weekend plinking with buddies.

Gun Master
May 11, 2013, 03:33 PM
Walking down Leland Pistol & Rifle Club's "Ambush Alley" (outdoors with berms) with two fully loaded auto-loaders ! :D

sidheshooter
May 11, 2013, 03:59 PM
Taking classes at my local training facility; shooting moving targets, that sort of stuff. Love it; will keep doing it until the ammo stash runs low.

Sam1911
May 11, 2013, 04:06 PM
Well, I spend most of my trigger time shooting IDPA and similar "practical" matches. (Or writing them, running them, staffing them, setting them up, breaking them down, etc., etc....actually, it's a lot like WORK! :eek: :D)

But watching my kids start to understand the concepts and execute marksmanship principles is catching up to No. 1 pretty fast!

gbran
May 11, 2013, 05:01 PM
Handgun hunting/target work.
Upland game bird hunting (mostly quail).

xxjumbojimboxx
May 11, 2013, 05:05 PM
I dry fire in my house constantly. I tryto head shot everyone on my tv. Its lots of fun... make sure to safety check :)

swalton1943
May 11, 2013, 05:06 PM
cap and ball revolver, walking cans shooting from hip. shooting crazy quail with my 20 ga semi.

hso
May 11, 2013, 06:50 PM
Classes, taking and giving them.

JFrame
May 11, 2013, 06:52 PM
Trying to print clover-leaf patterns with my T/C Contender in .22 LR.

Thirty rounds, and I'm pretty much done... :)

03fatboy
May 11, 2013, 10:07 PM
Love to watch my two boys(7yrs and 6yrs) shoot their 22's
The joy they get when they hit the steel plate makes me smile

fanchisimo
May 11, 2013, 10:55 PM
I honestly have the most fun teaching new people to shoot and seeing their fear drain away into big ol' grins. I feel like I've contributed a little, moreso than sending the emails and occasional letters.

Chris-bob
May 12, 2013, 03:33 AM
Nothing more fun than when I hand my 8-year-old, 6-year-old or 2-year-old the single shot .22 that they call their own and see the smile on their face turn to a look of concentration as they focus on the target before them(the 2-year-old is usually just wants to pick up .22 casings instead). Then as they look up all excited as the target rings with a hit.

lpsharp88
May 12, 2013, 04:56 AM
I used to really enjoy the MK19 and crew served weapons ranges, but now I enjoy shooting balloons and text books from the previous semester's classes

allaroundhunter
May 12, 2013, 05:01 AM
USPSA/IPSC and 3 gun, both shooting in them and staffing them, is really fun and us probably the most fun I have in a regular basis. However, my favorite thing (and the one I have the most fun doing) is dove hunting with my father and little brother.

allaroundhunter
May 12, 2013, 05:02 AM
I used to really enjoy the MK19 and crew served weapons ranges, but now I enjoy shooting balloons and text books from the previous semester's classes

I just sold my textbooks back for $600....I had considered using them for target practice until I found out that Chegg pays decently for engineering textbooks.

Liberty1776
May 12, 2013, 11:24 AM
Walking through my woods plinking at stuff with a single shot .22 rifle

bannockburn
May 12, 2013, 11:36 AM
Teaching others to shoot safely and responsibly, plinking at cans and water jugs, target shooting at paper targets (especially the ones with the easy to see color hits), and advanced courses in CCW training. For me it's all good.

scallop
May 12, 2013, 11:40 AM
Plinking, cans, clays, reactive targets actually just about anything with a gun provides me with great pleasure and always puts a smile on my face.

I really enjoy turning someone on to shooting that has had little or no exposure at all. A couple weeks ago I took my oldest daughters boyfriend out and you could not remove the smile from his face with a crowbar. He is 21 and had never shot or handled a gun of any sort (very hard to believe but it was true). Exposed him to many different handguns, shotguns and rifles, of all sorts of action types. I would have thought his favorite would have been the AR but I could not get him off the bench with my Tikka .25/06 until the ammo ran out. He put about 150 rounds through it and would have done more. I am going to help him with his first purchase soon, can't ask for a better day than that!

Jed Carter
May 12, 2013, 07:31 PM
I would say shooting USPSA, Steel Challenge or GSSF matches, but I really get a charge from taking new shooters to the range.

jackblack86
May 12, 2013, 07:42 PM
Just picked up one of those laserlyte laser trainers been shooting up my livingroom all weekend long. Works good on the badguys on the big screen tv too. Most fun with a gun without ammo.:)

RobNDenver
May 12, 2013, 07:49 PM
I love to qualify with my duty weapon. Shooting steel targets at ranges more than 100 yards is a blast too! My VFW Post has a trap range and now that it is warming up I'll be able to shoot trap once or twice a week.

content
May 12, 2013, 08:45 PM
Hello friends and neighbors // Taking the young folks out to shoot for their first time..

They immediately feel more responsible and if you pick the right gun(Remington 513T .22), the right sights(peep) and the right distance (25 feet) they will remember their first time with pride and satisfaction.
The only thing better would be if they taught others, the joy of shooting, on down the road.

Thanks to the Boy Scouts who taught at Camp Horseshoe in 1971 and to Top Padgett who taught the ROTC rifle team in 1976...hope I remembered a little.

My personal shooting "most fun with a gun" is for three reasons...

I like the sound a .45lc makes smashing through 1/2" plywood targets...

The satisfaction of using a 1907, Colt, SAA, Bisley Model to do it.
One of 8005 produced between 1894 and 1912 in .45lc.

Lastly because I never thought I'd get to shoot a SAA let alone allow others to shoot mine.:D

SharpsDressedMan
May 12, 2013, 09:10 PM
Heh,heh,heh,heh.......................... http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/40mmpistol.jpg (http://s106.photobucket.com/user/matquig/media/40mmpistol.jpg.html)

Cee Zee
May 12, 2013, 10:38 PM
I used to love teaching my kids and my nephew how to shoot. That sort of lost it's appeal when they started shooting better than I do. ;)

Then I got a lot of pleasure from shooting tight groups on targets. Then that sorta got to be like work trying to control every little thing (incluind my heartbeat) to get ever better accuracy. I still enjoy doing that but sometimes I just have to go back to what made me love shooting in the first place - plinking.

I actually took a .22 out shooting last weekend. It was the first time in months. I shot about 70 rounds which is about 10% of what I would shoot in a day not so long ago. I went to a gubmit run gun range to shoot since my club is now 100 miles away and I can't get started in my new club until July. The facilities weren't so great at that gubmit range. The shelter was all wood with nothing being done to protect the wood. And of course that means carpenter bees. You know how they fly around you trying to scare you away from their nest? There must have been 50 of them doing that. Hmmm... Targets! Yes I started shooting carpenter bees flying through the air. Not shooting "at" them either. I was shooting them at least a third of the time. I had to shoot from the hip since I had a scope on my only rifle I had along. It turns out it's not nearly as hard as it sounds. And wow is it satisfying to blast those annoying little suckers while they're flying. You know the jerks think you have no way to get them while they buzz you time after time. It must be a real bad case of "what happenend" when they are sinking to the ground to meet Mr. Foot face to foot. I really, really enjoyed that. All that practice finally paid off for something really useful. :D

WALKERs210
May 12, 2013, 10:58 PM
Until my son and I had a falling out my greatest enjoyment was to walk out to back of property and usually fire around 5-10 rds then wait to hear my grandson yelling Papa I'm on the way. He started shooting around age 6, at age 10 I gave him his first Henry, then a 870 20ga and don't remember all he has now but he is worth every penny. If he is not here I just enjoy cutting down a few trees. Yea a chain saw is cheaper but not half as much fun.

chris in va
May 12, 2013, 11:13 PM
I love shooting carbines in general. Bolts, levers, semi's. My latest obsession is a 45 Colt lever a friend loaned me. Big fat bullet thumping a steel popper just gives me the giggles.

I also enjoy hitting a steel plate at 400 yards standing with my Garand. That satisfying thwack echo makes it all worthwhile.

Agsalaska
May 12, 2013, 11:14 PM
Without a doubt shooting turtles with a 22. Nothing else comes close. I am not a big shooter. Other than sighting in my deer rifle and shooting a deer, and a couple of obligatory boxes of FMJ for my CCW pistol every year, all I ever shoot is 22. And turtles are my sworn enemy. It has been a long time since I saw a turtle that did not need to immediately die. I will also take the occasional shot at a hog with whatever rifle is available, but I usually do not seek it out. But I shoot turtles at least once a month.

Malamute
May 13, 2013, 12:20 AM
Shooting black powder rounds in my old 86 Winchester and Colt SAA years ago. The sound was very different than modern smokeless rounds, the deep boom echoed off the hills and seemed to roll on and on.

Used to love hunting bunnies, with everything, pistol or rifle. On the run was the most fun.

Teaching several women to shoot was fun, they loved it, and did very well.

Shooting stuff in the air. Once you start getting the hang of it, its fun. (with pistols and rifles)

Shooting pistols longer distance. 300 yards is a hoot. I started shooting mostly one ahnded about 15 or so years ago, after seeing an outstanding pistol shot that only shot one handed. Takes some getting used to, but after getting it figured out, using two hands seems like cheating.

xxjumbojimboxx
May 13, 2013, 12:29 AM
bees? from the hip? You're a far greater shooter then I

climbnjump
May 13, 2013, 12:47 AM
I took a 13 yr old niece out for her first time shooting today for a session of "Fun with Fruit and Firearms". That involves placing a bunch of inedible oranges and apples out at about 50 yrs and exploding them with a 17 HMR. A good time was had by all.

hang fire
May 13, 2013, 12:48 AM
Killing werewolves...but silver prices are way up and brass is scarce....so now I have to settle for some weekend plinking with buddies.

I wonder if the Swiss GP11 would suffice for werewolves.

https://4b1e874935ea5d25a97e-f099844d0e354c7ab50c55a966be6870.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product/resized/a75swiss.jpg

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/primary/322/322995.jpg

hang fire
May 13, 2013, 12:52 AM
For fun, nothing beats shooting cannibalistic picket pins in Wyoming, a brick of .22 rf might last a day.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most fun with a gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!