50 + Guns in the back of my car

PDA

gunownerz
May 11, 2013, 06:37 PM
While we were moving inventory for Firearms for Sale (http://www.firearmsforsale.com) we had to pile a bunch of inventory in my car. Good thing I didn't have to drive it on the main road...That would have been interesting.

http://i.imgur.com/4FVRDVZ.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "50 + Guns in the back of my car" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CharlieDeltaJuliet
May 11, 2013, 06:51 PM
If you would have gotten stopped, the police would have probably called SWAT and the bomb squad.... I am joking of course, but it would definitely be an eye opener.

gspn
May 11, 2013, 07:00 PM
It would be a funny conversation if you got pulled over.

"Do you have any weapons in the car sir?"

"As a matter of fact I do..."

medalguy
May 11, 2013, 07:10 PM
Is that an arsenal in there? :D

Sauer Grapes
May 11, 2013, 07:19 PM
When I saw the title, I thought you were just headed to the range for a few hours of fun......lol

xxjumbojimboxx
May 11, 2013, 07:23 PM
Is that an arsenal in there? :D
Hah! Perhaps a mobile arsenal? goes against the grain....
Wonderful link up to an older post. Made me laugh.

MErl
May 11, 2013, 07:45 PM
nobody would have noticed. Generally see cars not contents and it isn't like you had rifles hanging out the windows.

sota
May 11, 2013, 07:57 PM
so... any H&K's in there? :D

25cschaefer
May 11, 2013, 08:00 PM
What route do you normally take, what time do you depart, does anybody ride with you?

clutch
May 11, 2013, 08:22 PM
I figured they were handguns before reading this. Handguns is the only way I can get my gun safe up to rated capacity. :rolleyes:

My next car isn't going to be a Focus, I can only get two air glide cases in the trunk.

OilyPablo
May 11, 2013, 08:28 PM
Somebody started a thread asking to define an arsenal. Case closed.

Cool thing is I have some of those!

shuvelrider
May 11, 2013, 11:21 PM
There are laws for transporting privately owned (bulk) weapons, I ran into that when moving from Illinois to Michigan. A long story short, the local State Police told me the "official" way is to inform each county sheriff who's county I was passing through until I got out of Illinois. Unofficially he told me to just case them up good and cover them over and just make sure I can drive straight through in one day to my destination. This was an accumulation of around 80 long guns and pistols.

InkEd
May 12, 2013, 01:24 AM
You having a little trouble picking a truck gun? :D

r1derbike
May 12, 2013, 02:16 AM
I hope those aren't going across the border! :what:

I'd love to have another XD-S, however.

BruceB
May 12, 2013, 04:00 AM
Fifteen years ago, we were moving from Northern Canada to Nevada.

I had obtained all the necessary ATF paperwork for the firearms ( except the ones they would not allow us to import, of course).

Arriving at the US border in a Ryder 25-foot truck, I showed the officers the multiple pages of permits and forms and asked, "Should I open up the truck?" They said, "No, that's alright....nice that you have all the paperwork."

So, I ended up driving into the US sunset with 75 guns in the truck, never seen by any official.

(We also asked, "We have all the vaccination certificates etc etc for the cats and dogs. Do you want to see them?"

Answer: "No, we only want to see those IF YOU DON'T HAVE THEM.")

The nicest part of the exercise: as we were leaving the border station, one officer said, "Welcome to the United States; we hope you'll be very happy here." How about THAT?

Cryogaijin
May 12, 2013, 06:58 AM
I took the Ferry from Alaska to Washington last august.

"Do you have any guns or ammunition in your car?"

"Why yes. Yes I do."

"Ok, put this Hazmat tag in your windshield."

"Allrighty."

and that was that.

And dear god am I glad I brought my Ammo with me.

bluetopper
May 12, 2013, 10:56 AM
You gun runner you.:)

witchhunter
May 12, 2013, 11:32 AM
When I was about 22 or 23, me and a buddy moved into an apartment together. We owned about 30 guns between us at the time. We didn't own 30 gun cases so we were carrying them inside by he armload when the neighbor came home. He was a local news anchor. He mentioned on the news the next day that "the neighborhood just got a lot safer, as some well armed young men just moved in downstairs." I don't think we would be as welcome on today's news......

bigdaa
May 12, 2013, 11:58 AM
OK, that is what I call a Nice Car, Dude!

bannockburn
May 12, 2013, 12:39 PM
I call "Shotgun"!

Romeo 33 Delta
May 12, 2013, 02:25 PM
Normal "day at the range"?

P5 Guy
May 12, 2013, 02:39 PM
When my Dad passed he had a bunch of Lugers, Walthers, and Mauser Rifles.
Doubtfully properly documented for New Jersey. Made for an interesting pack and drive to PA.
I think I never drove so correctly and sweaty before or after.

:eek:

SigSour
May 12, 2013, 02:39 PM
I'll give you $1000 for the whole shebang. Cash money. (I can't even type that with a straight face) :neener:

Queen_of_Thunder
May 12, 2013, 03:48 PM
You having a little trouble picking a truck gun? :D
What we have here is a serious case of indecision as to which gun to select for self defense.

ShamboPyro
May 12, 2013, 03:51 PM
I only wish I had 50+ guns in the back of my car.:)

22-rimfire
May 12, 2013, 03:59 PM
No big thing. I would have draped a blanket or tarp over them however.

OilyPablo
May 12, 2013, 03:59 PM
I fail to see the problem here.

loose noose
May 12, 2013, 04:21 PM
In 1992, while moving out to Nevada from California, I had a huge gun vault as well as about 50 long guns combined with handguns, thank God I had a truck, and off road vehicle with a trailer to haul them out of California. I'll tell ya being a retired police officer I never drove so careful in all of my life, until I got over that state line, and into freedom. :D

xfyrfiter
May 12, 2013, 04:29 PM
A friend drove down to the southern part of the state for an auctioneer to pick up some consigned guns. He said that the worst part was the 1000 mile round trip without stopping for the night. Did not dare to leave car unattended even to stop and eat.

itchy1
May 12, 2013, 04:43 PM
That must be what Christmas looks like in heaven.

MaterDei
May 12, 2013, 04:48 PM
I'm not aware of your local laws but a LEO around here wouldn't likely bat an eye. He would probably ask about them because he was curious.

hang fire
May 12, 2013, 04:51 PM
Fifteen years ago, we were moving from Northern Canada to Nevada.

I had obtained all the necessary ATF paperwork for the firearms ( except the ones they would not allow us to import, of course).

Arriving at the US border in a Ryder 25-foot truck, I showed the officers the multiple pages of permits and forms and asked, "Should I open up the truck?" They said, "No, that's alright....nice that you have all the paperwork."

So, I ended up driving into the US sunset with 75 guns in the truck, never seen by any official.

(We also asked, "We have all the vaccination certificates etc etc for the cats and dogs. Do you want to see them?"

Answer: "No, we only want to see those IF YOU DON'T HAVE THEM.")

The nicest part of the exercise: as we were leaving the border station, one officer said, "Welcome to the United States; we hope you'll be very happy here." How about THAT?

Glad you had a good experience on entry into the US, the reverse was true for me.

In 1976 got transferred outside from Alaska. The Canadian entry point was Beaver Creek, Yukon which IIRC, was about 50 miles inside Canada.

Had some handguns and the SHTF. There was one young RCMP doing the checking, and he was a regular Nazi like snot. Nothing I could do but keep silent while taking his threats and raving insults about US citizens being stupid gun nuts.

We had been in and out of Canada several times with handguns, but never experienced such before. Rest assured, we have never been back since, and never will.

Kiln
May 12, 2013, 05:00 PM
When I go to the range I sometimes take 5-6 with me. If I ever get pulled over it'll be an awkward conversation but screw them, I'm not doing anything illegal so I don't worry about it.

Rob G
May 12, 2013, 05:18 PM
I'm guessing that you prefer New York reloads to spare magazines? :D

The most I've ever had in my car was around 20 or so and I can remember my friend advising me to keep it around the speed limit. Of course this being Texas and none of our guns being illegal I just drove as I normally do. I figured worst case scenario was if we got stopped we might end up doing an impromptu gun show on the side of the road. With a little luck it might just distract the LEO enough to get out of the ticket...

22-rimfire
May 12, 2013, 07:31 PM
When I go to the range I sometimes take 5-6 with me. If I ever get pulled over it'll be an awkward conversation but screw them, I'm not doing anything illegal so I don't worry about it.
I have no idea why you would think you might get pulled over by law enforcement because you have fireams in your vehicle.

baz
May 12, 2013, 07:43 PM
A friend drove down to the southern part of the state for an auctioneer to pick up some consigned guns. He said that the worst part was the 1000 mile round trip without stopping for the night. Did not dare to leave car unattended even to stop and eat.In any gun friendly state, I would imagine that this ought to be the only real fear about transporting a large quantity of weapons. While I'd want them covered so as not to be visible to the casual eye, who knows what someone might think was under a tarp and break in to steal something. So yeah, I'd probably plan on driving straight through, with stops only for gas. If I expected to need restroom breaks, I'd have a buddy along so that the vehicle was never left unintended.

22-rimfire
May 12, 2013, 07:50 PM
The one time where I transported a fairly large number of firearms or anything partiuclarly valuable to me, when I stop to eat, I purposely sit where I can see my vehicle from inside. But there would be no "Walmart" stops where I might be an hour or more away from my vehicle. I liken it to my habits when I buy ice cream or frozen food... I pretty much keep it pointed for my destination except for very limited stops.

gearhead
May 12, 2013, 08:01 PM
I've had to transport NFA items as part of my work before. Whenever I had to stay overnight they came into my room with me, whenever I had to stop for fuel or biological needs I kept it short and kept the vehicle in sight as much as possible.

Deaf Smith
May 12, 2013, 11:23 PM
While we were moving inventory for Firearms for Sale (http://www.firearmsforsale.com) we had to pile a bunch of inventory in my car. Good thing I didn't have to drive it on the main road...That would have been interesting.

http://i.imgur.com/4FVRDVZ.jpg
Don't drive toward the East coast.

They would accuse you of gun running, confiscate your guns, car, any money, luggage, etc... raid your home at tear it apart, and then, even if clean as a whistle, they would try to keep all your stuff with 'asset forfeiture' laws.

That's just the nature of the beast now. They have become parasites (but then, that is the definition of government, right?)

Deaf

BruceB
May 12, 2013, 11:27 PM
Glad you had a good experience on entry into the US, the reverse was true for me.

In 1976 got transferred outside from Alaska. The Canadian entry point was Beaver Creek, Yukon which IIRC, was about 50 miles inside Canada.

Had some handguns and the SHTF. There was one young RCMP doing the checking, and he was a regular Nazi like snot. Nothing I could do but keep silent while taking his threats and raving insults about US citizens being stupid gun nuts.

We had been in and out of Canada several times with handguns, but never experienced such before. Rest assured, we have never been back since, and never will.
Yeah.... I have ZERO respect for the oh-so-wonderful Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Some individuals are excellent people, and good cops as well. Most are careerists, anti-gun, and slavishly devoted to following "the party line". This opinion is based on MANY years of close personal experience in dealing with the people and the organization.

Canada's gun laws and the inflexible enforcement of those laws were a major part of "why" we now live in the USA....and are much happier for dong so. There is an official hatred of guns AND THEIR OWNERS, which made me feel very unwelcome there. That's OK; to hell with all of them.

I was was extremely fortunate, in that I was born of Canadian parents in the USA back in 1943, but I'd lived in Canada since about '47 when my Dad moved us from Upper Michigan to Ontario following his graduation from his Alma Mater in Houghton MI.

I don't miss Canada, nor the sainted RCMP.

Kiln
May 13, 2013, 01:08 AM
I have no idea why you would think you might get pulled over by law enforcement because you have fireams in your vehicle.
Not because of having the firearms but for something unrelated.

They're going to want to know why I'm riding around with three hi cap rifles and two handguns.

rookorami
May 13, 2013, 01:14 AM
Kiln, Hey if they are 30rnd magazines then that's not hi-cap merely standard issue. ;)

essayons21
May 13, 2013, 02:26 AM
I am a LEO and there is a pretty big gun show every few months in my beat. I've pulled over many dealers and enthusiasts with cars full of guns. Neither me nor my coworkers ever have had any problems. There is a chance you might get pulled by a gung-ho idjit who doesn't understand the law, but generally if you aren't committing any major crimes while transporting your collection you have nothing to worry about.

I moved a little while ago and transported about 150 long guns in a minivan followed by my wife with 50+ handguns in her car. Our biggest concern was the poor gas mileage from the weight. I let the movers handle the ammo and safes.

Arkansas Paul
May 13, 2013, 10:33 AM
Officer: What are you scared of son?

You: Not a damn thing sir.

gamestalker
May 13, 2013, 06:01 PM
My Son's and I have been confronted by LE on multiple occasions when we have had 15 - 20 firearms in the vehicle. The most recent was when my Son got pulled over for some minor traffic stop, didn't even get a ticket for it. But anyway, when the officer asked if we had any weapons, he replied, yes, I have a pistol on my hip, my dad has one on him, and we have several shotguns, other handguns, and rifles in the back of the SUV, a bunch of knives too. The officer just grinned and said, OK, just don't go grabbing for anything, unless I ask you to. He didn't grill us, or run the serial numbers, and we were on our way within a few short minutes.

This happens all the time where we live because, we travel through border patrol check points on a regular basis, when traveling to and from our regular shooting and hunting spots. But in general, Arizona is a gun friendly state. I was standing next to a police officer while in line at the bank wearing my revolver open carry. The only reaction I got was, what model is that wheel gun? Just love living here!

GS

Boxhead
May 14, 2013, 06:08 AM
When I moved to Canada in 2004 I drove my Suburban with a fair mount more than the above and reached the border crossing in Montana. The chap in the shack starting giving me a bit of crap. I interrupted and told him I needed to see the authorities to get my paperwork signed. I went up the the office, advised the situation and the chap behind the counter signed it and sent me on my way without even looking at my car. Some five years later I drove the same load (tweaked slightly:)) with the necessary paperwork back though crossing the Idaho border. The US border agent asked to see them when I presented the paperwork. I opened the back of the Suburban and he said, "Hell did you own a gun shop up there"? Zero issues either way.

FROGO207
May 14, 2013, 07:04 AM
Looks like a typical trip to the range with a couple buddies except they are all still in their boxes and no long guns as well.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "50 + Guns in the back of my car" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!