Pierced primer

PDA

Ex
May 11, 2013, 06:49 PM
Friend had a strange deal happen last week.

He manually weighs each charge. 230gn fmj .45 ACP.

He had built a 100 round batch and all feed/fired without problem
except this one round. He built these rounds with new Remington brass.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o502/jasonsch103/guns/photo-3.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o502/jasonsch103/guns/photo-4.jpg

Any thoughts? I'm thinking a thin primer cup

If you enjoyed reading about "Pierced primer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fire_Moose
May 11, 2013, 06:52 PM
Generally its an over pressure sign.

I never experienced til a couple weeks ago when some ppu 223 factory rounds were getting them....

Sent from my CZ85 Combat

Hondo 60
May 11, 2013, 07:06 PM
Might be over-pressure.
Might just be one bad primer cup.

I've seen it in my 223s.
and I'm WELL under max.

If it's happening a bunch, then it's something to worry about.
For just one outta how many??
I wouldn't be too concerned.

Just my 2

243winxb
May 11, 2013, 09:57 PM
What firearm? Check the firing pin tip. Any roughness?

Ex
May 11, 2013, 11:13 PM
Firing pin looks perfect. Pin is straight with the tip smooth and slightly rounded

rcmodel
May 11, 2013, 11:28 PM
You had an over-load for some reason.

Notice the primer on the right is slightly rounded on the edge and shows no signs of breech face marks.

The pierced one looks flattened all over, flowing over the primer pocket edges, and nasty breech face marks.

That was not caused by the pierced primer doing the dirty work to the primer.

The pierced primer was caused by the dirty work from an over-pressure load of some sort.

But too much powder, or bullet set-back from loose case neck tension during feeding caused a pressure excursion on that one round that resulted in a pierced primer.
I betcha!

rc

KansasSasquatch
May 11, 2013, 11:33 PM
Well I don't know if there was an overcharge or what, but I would definitely say it was an overpressure round. The pierced part isn't the only sign. That primer is pretty darn flat. If that primer were brass colored you almost wouldn't be able to tell where the primer ends and the case head begins.

ArchAngelCD
May 12, 2013, 06:09 AM
I agree, even without the piercing that primer is telling a story of very high pressures.

The real matter should be what caused the overpressure situation, not why did the primer pierce.

Ex
May 13, 2013, 09:29 PM
The High Road! Just can not get any better for experience and thought out answers!

As always, Thanks Guys!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Pierced primer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!