I could use a little advice

PDA

mrtgbnkr
March 17, 2004, 11:35 AM
First, a little background.

Last night (this morning actually) at about 1:30am, while the entire family is sound asleep, the doorbell rings, the dog goes berzerk, and my wife and I get a really nice adrenaline dump. I open the quick access safe, grab the HD pistol, and head to the front door to see what the heck is going on at this ungodly hour. BTW, we have had a home invasion in the past, so I tend to grab for some hardware anytime there is any kind of noise or activity around the house.

Standing at the door is a local police officer who almost found himself on the wrong end of a barrel. He's asking if we know a girl, Debbie Stone (fake name)...no, never heard of her officer...do you have a young daughter? Yeah, 9 mos old, she doesn't know her either. Dog is still trying to get to the door and making a huge racket, the 9 month old and 2 1/2 year old are now both awake. I offer to put the dog out and let him in, he declines and leaves. The entire time we are talking, I'm holding my pistol behind my right thigh so as not to be too obvious that I'm armed. He claimed that they were looking into something and were given our address.

Needless to say, after spending an hour getting the kids back to sleep and ourselves calmed down, my wife and I weren't too happy. Should I contact the police department to find out if this was really something that needed to be done at 1:30 am and to let them know that we don't appreciat the intrusion? I'm more than willing to help if I can, and the officer was pleasant enough (for 1:30) but it's not like there are reports of a missing child all over the morning news or anything.....anyway, I guess I needed to vent as much as anything...thanks for any input.

Mark

If you enjoyed reading about "I could use a little advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CZ 75 BD
March 17, 2004, 11:41 AM
about 1:38 this morning. Nevertheless, a call is appropriate now.

If it was important enough to wake a house at 01:30, it seems it would have been more important that a yes and no response. I sure would want to know what was the whole story.

TimRB
March 17, 2004, 11:43 AM
I would let it go. It sounds to me like the officer handled it as best he could. It's possible he was looking for the family of Debbie Stone so he could tell them that she's dead/OK/in jail/in the hospital/whatever. He may not have been at liberty to tell you much about what he was doing.

Tim

jsalcedo
March 17, 2004, 11:50 AM
Sounds fishy.

I have received phone calls from the police at 3:00am asking if I know so and so.

Seems weird they would take a risk instead of picking up the phone.

The Tourist
March 17, 2004, 11:50 AM
The faster you get the word out to the maximum number of people the better the chance of finding kidnapped children. That's the idea behind the "Amber alerts."

I couldn't find my wife one time on a ski trail, and I saw some snowmobiles race off in the distance. For a moment, I thought my wife had been kidnapped. I questioned some travelers on the path, and most were very dispassionate--like, "It ain't my wife, I'm on holiday." After a tense 30 minutes, I found my direction-poor wife struggling off of the trail. I didn't know whether to chew her out or just hug her. I did the latter.

Sure, it disrupted your house. But think of the house of that girl's parents.

chetrogers
March 17, 2004, 11:52 AM
Good point "TimRB" .I would just let it go if was me.Unless it happens again antime soon.Im sure the officer had a reason for doing it.My dog scares the crap out of me when she barks on the middle of the night..And it does suck to get that rush when your sleeping..Sorry about your night but i would just let it pass.

sturmruger
March 17, 2004, 11:53 AM
I think you handled this very well. It used to be that if you saw someone wearing a unifrom you could assume they were a good guy, but with the string of home invasions by bad guys wearing uniforms I don't think I would assume anything. I would have answered the door the same way.

Luckily my neighbor is a cop so between the two of us we have one of the safest neighborhoods around.

sumpnz
March 17, 2004, 11:53 AM
I'd call and confirm his story. Every now and then you hear about BGs posing as cops to gain access for a home invasion, case targets, and the like. If he was not a cop, the cops definatly need to know about him so they can put a stop to any potential reindeer games. If he really was a cop, and was really looking for the girl, then you'll get peace of mind.

keyhole
March 17, 2004, 11:59 AM
" I would have answered the door the same way."

Always good to be prepared. No problem, and sounds like it went ok. I remember being awoke once like that. Seems a drunk had ran into our cars parked out front. Still the time so early in the morning, makes one leery of answering the door, unprepared.

mrtgbnkr
March 17, 2004, 12:18 PM
It was definately a real cop, unless a BG stole a police cruiser, put on a uniform and then decided to case my house.

As I said, if there is a missing child, I understand the intrusion and if it were my child, I'd want the cops knocking on doors and waking people up. The reason I even asked the question is that all that was really said was "do you know her?" no mention of she's missing, run away, we're looking for her...none of that.

Anyway, I'm still undecided, but leaning more toward letting it go....thanks for the input.

Mark

azrael
March 17, 2004, 12:18 PM
I would let it go...I got 2 girls of my own and any help that anyone could give if (god forbid) something happened would be appreciated..

Not so funny EARLY morning story...last year I was woke up by my girlfriend at the time, she was shaking, the dog was going nuts the whole bit...she points outside our bedroom window and sure enough someone is out there...I have her grab the phone and get the baby out of the crib and send them to my workshop on the other side of the house(my 10-22 is there and she knew how to handle it)...

I grab my shotty and flashlight and bounce half naked outside and walked VERY gracefully around to that side of the house and sure enough he was still there with his back to me...A full moon (no not just mine) showed that he had something in his hand...he finally walked close enough to the house that the motion detector kicked on and I immediately recognized him as my neighbor...I asked him poetically what he was doing...turns out his dog had gotten loose again and he was looking for it...He noticed my shotgun and then me and was visably shaken...I was of course none to happy to be outside half naked as well as none to happy that he was in my yard that early in the morning scaring the crap out of my old lady and waking up my youngest...I described to him in again, VERY poetic language (in 3 languages) that I was indeed perplexed by his behavior...but all was forgiven and I decided to help him find his dog...

To this day you couldnt drag him into my yard that late at night without calling me, and his wife (a southerner) still gets chuckle out of me called him a da$$ yankee in 3 languages while standing in my yard half naked:D

If you enjoyed reading about "I could use a little advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!