Removing rust from muzzle?

PDA

Kabal
May 12, 2013, 06:39 PM
A couple of months ago, I bought a handgun that has some light rust on its barrel, right on the face of the muzzle. Fortunately, there's no rust inside the bore. So far, I've kept the barrel well-oiled, and the rust hasn't spread any further. I guess it would be best to remove the rust, though.

How would you do so without removing a lot of metal?
I've seen people recommend 0000 steel wool for the job, but I would prefer something even less aggressive. What do you think about some Nevr-Dull or bronze/brass/copper wool, along with some good gun oil?

The accuracy of the gun shouldn't be affected as long as I don't touch the actual edge where the bore ends, right?

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing rust from muzzle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jimmyraythomason
May 12, 2013, 06:40 PM
Oil and 0000 steel wool will fix that right up and wont remove any metal.

Maj Dad
May 12, 2013, 10:27 PM
^ What JimmyRay said. 4-0 steel wool is finer'n frog hair & won't hurt the steel at all, or the bore. I have cleaned rust from blued steel using it & oil (any gun oil or like that) and if used gently without undue pressure it will not damage the finish. On the muzzle I wouldn't worry at all - if you think it lightened it, use a bit of cold blue & retouch it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing rust from muzzle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!