They have babies

PDA

MCgunner
May 12, 2013, 10:31 PM
I was walking my place showing it to my SIL today. We stood in one place talking for a bit and a little spotted fawn jumped and ran into the woods. Didn't mean to disturb it, but didn't know it was there. I don't think I've ever seen one that close to being newborn. :D It was so small, first thought it a jack rabbit.

If you enjoyed reading about "They have babies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SleazyRider
May 12, 2013, 10:48 PM
A rare and beautiful moment. Consider yourself blessed.

1911Tuner
May 12, 2013, 11:05 PM
Raise one...and you'll never hunt deer again.

rondog
May 12, 2013, 11:21 PM
Tuner - when I was a little boy I had a great-uncle that lived on a remote ranch. He did just that, raised a fawn up to a full-grown buck. That critter was like a big dog, only with antlers. It was a fixture at all the family gatherings out there, it was very awesome to see it inside the house, visiting with everybody!

grubbylabs
May 13, 2013, 04:39 PM
Just like a baby cow, cute and all when they are babies, but really tasty when they grow up.

Kachok
May 13, 2013, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the warning, if I quite eating venison I would be vegan, life would suck :( I would have to make stupid claims about how everyone elses diet is killing them, and stay angry at the world all day every day, would probably feel the uncontrollable urge to hug a tree, smoke weed, and vote Democrat.... :barf:

armedwalleye
May 13, 2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the warning, if I quite eating venison I would be vegan, life would suck :( I would have to make stupid claims about how everyone elses diet is killing them, and stay angry at the world all day every day, would probably feel the uncontrollable urge to hug a tree, smoke weed, and vote Democrat.... :barf:
Kachok,
I think we may be related. Want to move to MN and help me change the world here?

Big deer have more meat on them than little deer.

matrem
May 13, 2013, 07:57 PM
They are quite adorable when they're that tiny.
I've been fortunate enough to see a few take their first steps(never raised any though),and well, we still eat more venison than any other meat.
That's what they're here for isn't it?;)

Kachok
May 13, 2013, 08:04 PM
Kachok,
I think we may be related. Want to move to MN and help me change the world here?

Big deer have more meat on them than little deer.
We very well may be related, I have alot of distant family in MN. Yeah your northern deer could squash ours like bug no doubt, our largest deer of the season was only about 160 lbs and they avaraged right around 100lbs, I almost hit one a few weeks back that was so small when he ran in front of my car I could not see his back over the hood (yeah he was THAT close to being road burger) that would be laughably small if I drove a charger or caddy but I was driving my Mazda 3!!!! LMAO No they were not spotted fawns, both of them were spotless and could not have weighed more then 30lbs soaking wet, never seen them that small before.

msnden
May 13, 2013, 08:42 PM
It isn't mentioned very often, but the early pioneers often had deer as pets, I am quite sure when the time came they became table fare, (but I don't know that)

http://msnden.smugmug.com/Events/misc/i-XDSqcwR/0/M/west23_sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50-M.jpg

couple more

http://msnden.smugmug.com/Events/misc/i-GVTzkf9/0/M/west24_sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50-M.jpg

Ms_Dragon
May 13, 2013, 10:54 PM
That chap in the center of the picture holding that deer looks like he's wearing a striped butchers apron.

Anyone else watch the movie "The Yearling" and feel hungry?

I did.

msnden
May 14, 2013, 11:40 AM
He does look a little like a meat cutter

http://msnden.smugmug.com/Events/misc/i-ZBx2qqR/0/M/grill-M.jpg

Certaindeaf
May 14, 2013, 11:55 AM
lolz

adelbridge
May 14, 2013, 12:48 PM
fawn get run over by riding lawnmowers in the tall grass this time of year.

herkyguy
May 15, 2013, 08:47 AM
My favorite part is your reference to insisting that everyone else's diet is killing them. That is what bothers me the most about nuts who go off on some tangent about some dietician whose low-budget internet blog talks about the benefits of eating nothing but lemon peels and wheatgrass or any other absurd combination.

I'll keep my venison and balance it nicely my wife's homegrown tomatoes and carrots.

The does around here (eastern NC) are all getting mighty pregnant from what I see on my trailcams. Fawns aren't too far away....

MCgunner
May 15, 2013, 01:28 PM
fawn get run over by riding lawnmowers in the tall grass this time of year.

I don't let my grass get tall enough to hide much more'd a rat before I mow it. :D Don't need to bail it, don't got cows.

Arkansas Paul
May 15, 2013, 03:17 PM

You underestimate my callousness. :)

ColtPythonElite
May 15, 2013, 03:26 PM
If I raised one, I wouldn't have to hunt for at least one season if he grew big enough.

788Ham
May 16, 2013, 12:09 PM
Several years ago, my Pop and I were fishing in an area known as The White River, beautiful area. Riding our horses up to a long ridge, the skunk cabbage was about 3 1/2 feet tall, then the cabbage starting moving furiously, we'd ridden into an area the elk cows were calving in. We sat spell bound watching these little guys running, looking for mama's, we figured we'd seen about 35 to 40 of them before we rode out of there, still a mental picture to never be forgotten.

Certaindeaf
May 16, 2013, 12:20 PM
You underestimate my callousness. :)
Fork tender vittles! At least they aren't penned up in the dark like veal calves.
hungry now

Art Eatman
May 16, 2013, 01:45 PM
Raised a deer from baby-fawn size. Household pet. Loved cookie crumbs. We were startled one day when eating supper out on the patio. Set my bowl on the floor, and the critter happily licked the remains of the gravy from Big Brother stew.

Certaindeaf
May 16, 2013, 02:57 PM
There's a super cool documentary about a fellow that raised up some wild turkeys from chickdom. It was super high quality and recent. Anyway, turkeys are interesting and pretty smart.. however, when these birds reached a certain age, they tried to kill their "parent", a human. I think he actually had to kill one defending himself. anyway

ljnowell
May 16, 2013, 03:36 PM
There are lots of stories of people that raise a deer only to find out that "bucky" is pretty darned mean during the rut. People get attacked, property destroyed, etc, then they just cant figure out why their "pet" turned on them.

http://voices.yahoo.com/texas-man-killed-pet-deer-rutting-season-blamed-7188996.html

http://www.suwanneeriverranch.com/WTinfoK.htm

Certaindeaf
May 16, 2013, 03:47 PM
These days having a fawn/deer will land you in prison or so.. most times last I heard anyway.

ShortFatHokie
May 16, 2013, 03:52 PM
I came across this two years ago while I was turkey hunting on our farm...

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo10/jeatwell_67/bambi.jpg (http://s356.photobucket.com/user/jeatwell_67/media/bambi.jpg.html)

MCgunner
May 16, 2013, 10:00 PM
Awe, ain't he cute! :D

03Shadowbob
May 18, 2013, 08:16 AM
My family in Hickory Ridge Arkansas had a "pet" deer whose mama was killed or abandoned it. Thing just hung around the house and farm for years. Very cool.
My FIL backed over one in his truck in the woods and felt terrible. Had it stuffed and encased in a nice glass box.

Patocazador
May 18, 2013, 03:55 PM
My sister & I were horse riding in the woods in Wisc. and I jumped a bedded fawn when my horse crossed a log. It ran ahead and tagged after my sister's horse for ~30 yards before it went into thick stuff. My sister was all upset that there was an "orphan" out there lost. I assured her that its mother would find it and all would be well. The next day we saw a doe and fawn together in the same area and my sister calmed down.
She (my sister) has deer hunted most of her life and even killed an 11 point a few years ago but she was ignorant about their habits.

Loyalist Dave
May 21, 2013, 08:17 AM
Piglets are darned cute, cuddly, and very smart, like an odd looking puppy..., doesn't stop me from making them into chops and bacon several months later. :eek:

LD

If you enjoyed reading about "They have babies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!