A Threepersons holster

PDA

CraigC
May 13, 2013, 01:30 AM
Someone in the other thread requested pics of the Threepersons when I finished it. It's for a 3" New Vaquero. I had never made one before but came up with this open toe design because I don't have a sixgun that short to fit it to. Here it is with a 4" Uberti .32-20. (These were taken before I installed the hammer thong)

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/leatherwork/large/IMG_1333b.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/leatherwork/large/IMG_1363b.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/leatherwork/large/IMG_1346b.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/leatherwork/large/IMG_1351b.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "A Threepersons holster" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DoubleDeuce 1
May 13, 2013, 01:33 AM
The leather looks great! The color is really perfect!:cool:

mykeal
May 13, 2013, 08:29 AM
Yes. Very nice. I like that a lot. Simple, functional, no gaudy hardware but great lines, color and just the right amount of adornment.

GregP42
May 13, 2013, 11:02 AM
That is just slick as it can be. Real nice burnish on the edges, stamping looks good, and real nice stitching. Did you make the pattern yourself or is it available somewhere? What did you do to the rough side of the leather? I like how that came out.

Greg

CraigC
May 13, 2013, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the kind words!

The flesh side was dyed before stitching, treated with gum tragacanth, burnished and then finished with Fiebing's Bag Cote. I made the pattern based on a couple of El Paso Saddlery Threepersons holsters I have. It's a pretty close match except for the open toe. I also made the throat a little higher. The color is a mixture of dark mahogany and tan.

GregP42
May 13, 2013, 12:00 PM
Craig,

Many thanks for that info. I have been trying to figure out how to do that to the inside of a holster for awhile on my own. I will look up the Gum Tragacanth and get some to test on my next holster.

Greg

Mango88
May 13, 2013, 12:10 PM
Pretty and functional too! It should last a lifetime.

rcmodel
May 13, 2013, 12:27 PM
Very nice work!!

Only question I have is why did you make it so much shorter then the barrel??

I tend to think holsters should offer muzzle protection, but that's just me.

rc

CraigC
May 13, 2013, 01:31 PM
Gum trag is easy to use. It's also completely non-toxic. All you do is rub it into the leather and let it dry. Then buff it. It's also what I use to burnish or "slick" the edges and I do the same for the flesh side to smooth it out. Which is done while it's still wet.

I said in the OP that the holster is for a 3" New Vaquero but pictured with a 4" Uberti Cattleman. :neener:

This is my first holster for a paying customer but I don't have a sixgun that short. So it is fitted for and pictured with a 4" Uberti. Which is why I did the open toe instead of the stitched toe, which is typical of the design. So when the New Vaquero is riding in it, the muzzle will be inset 1/4 - 3/8". ;)

Acorn Mush
May 13, 2013, 03:05 PM
Beautiful work!

Sol
May 13, 2013, 05:12 PM
That's very nice, the last picture almost makes it look like it was carved from wood.

rcmodel
May 13, 2013, 05:13 PM
I said in the OP that the holster is for a 3" New Vaquero but pictured with a 4" Uberti CattlemanMy bad!

I need to get my bifocals adjusted, or learn to read better.

rc

CraigC
May 13, 2013, 05:20 PM
Thanks again for the kind words!

I need to get my bifocals adjusted, or learn to read better.
I could've resisted the urge to do a little good natured ribbing......but I didn't. ;)

shafter
May 14, 2013, 10:13 PM
That's an extremely attractive holster. Not plain and yet definitely not flashy. I'd love one for my Vaquero but I'd opt for a full length holster.

Great work!

72coupe
May 15, 2013, 09:58 AM
very attractive.

CraigC
May 15, 2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks!

I'd opt for a full length holster.
The holster is made for a customer with a sixgun 1" shorter than what it's pictured with. ;)

Jaymo
May 15, 2013, 06:28 PM
I like that a helluva lot. I especially like the color. Oxblood is my favorite color for leather.

CraigC
May 16, 2013, 01:06 AM
Thanks, mine too!

Jaymo
May 16, 2013, 07:31 PM
Nice Uberti, BTW. I really like the grips.
The fact that you own a .32-20 tells me that I'd like you. Great old round.

CraigC
May 16, 2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks! That sixgun goes wonderfully with a Browning 53. ;)

The grips have a lot of figure in them. One of these days I'll strip off that finish and put some TruOil on it to really bring it out.

If you enjoyed reading about "A Threepersons holster" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!