Entry level trap thrower?

PDA

CoyoteSix
May 13, 2013, 11:11 PM
Hey THR, what is a good entry level trap thrower that can be operated by one person?

I've recently picked up clay shooting with some friends, I wouldn't mind upgrading from the hand clay throwers though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Entry level trap thrower?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Certaindeaf
May 13, 2013, 11:24 PM
I have an older Outers. It does doubles pretty good. You've gotta anchor it down pretty good though. It's built like a tank.

CoyoteSix
May 13, 2013, 11:26 PM
Is it battery run?

I'm leaning toward a manual powered trap thrower. Any experience?

Certaindeaf
May 13, 2013, 11:28 PM
No, it's spring loaded.. you have to cock it and pull the rope with your foot if you're alone.
If you've got a buddy he can yerk the rope with one hand and wing another with a hand thrower at the same time.

OldBrownDog
May 13, 2013, 11:35 PM
What's your price range? I bought a $40 rope-pull thrower that literally fell apart on me in ~4 months of fairly regular use. I reluctantly spent the $100 I was so hesitant to spend the first time on this:
http://www.amazon.com/Trius-10201-One-Step-Trap/dp/B0000C53F6

Could NOT be happier with it. The thing is a tank and I find it a lot easier to throw and shoot with.

CoyoteSix
May 14, 2013, 12:13 AM
I'd really like to keep this under $200

CoyoteSix
May 14, 2013, 12:46 AM
Also, I'd prefer to get a manual powered thrower.

Old_Gun_Hand
May 14, 2013, 12:48 AM
I found the best and cheapest to be my wife. Plus it can be considered as exercise.

orphanedcowboy
May 14, 2013, 02:40 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/14/any8usus.jpg

$235 + Shipping

Do All White Wing, presentations are endless it you have a safe area to shoot.

Lerk
May 14, 2013, 06:50 AM
A nice mechanical foot released thrower is the Trius One Step. I just picked one up for $100 and think it was well worth the money.

Bull Nutria
May 14, 2013, 08:04 AM
i have a do all 12 v trap and it is very good and dependable, i have mine mounted on a utility trailer also.

Bull

12Bravo20
May 14, 2013, 09:30 AM
I have the Trius One Step and it works well for me. It can throw singles or doubles.

47CubPilot
May 14, 2013, 11:19 AM
orphanedcowboy, Did you make those weights in the feed columns? I have one of those units and I have come to the conclusion that I need something like that to feed reliably.

petrey10
May 14, 2013, 11:48 AM
if you goin to get a battery powered thrower please do yourself a favor and get the Champion Easybird... the new version.... throws WAY WAY better than the DO ALL. How do I know? I have had both. Sold my DO All White Wing when I got the new Easybird. Saves on clays and throws the same distance

I like that trailer orphan.... really need to build myself something like that

Virginian
May 14, 2013, 04:15 PM
Get an Outers or any of the manual throwers. Do All has one that has a seat and can be mounted to the trailer hitch. I recently bought a Do-All Assault 3.0 electric. Sure is nice when it's 90 degrees.

Hansli
May 14, 2013, 04:40 PM
A nice mechanical foot released thrower is the Trius One Step
I started with two of these. I attached skateboard wheels to the front legs and bolted the rear to a sheet of plywood enabling different presentations.

loose noose
May 14, 2013, 06:55 PM
The Trias One Step is nice however I had to have a couple of steel plates welded to the legs so it would stay in one place.;)

Pete D.
May 14, 2013, 08:32 PM
Yes. I also have a Trius one step.....have had it for years. Works as well now as when it was new. It is a simple matter to set up with the gun ready and one foot on the release lever. Push down....bird flies.....shoot. Doubles ok.
And the price is right.
I don't mind the tendency of the machine to shift as it keeps the shot changing a bit.

orphanedcowboy
May 15, 2013, 12:37 AM
orphanedcowboy, Did you make those weights in the feed columns? I have one of those units and I have come to the conclusion that I need something like that to feed reliably.

Yep, just pvc pipe. I'll get the exact piece and pm you the how to. The weight has to set on the shoulder and not touch the dome at all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Entry level trap thrower?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!