.22 Rimfire - Short - Long - Long Rifle

PDA

Tomcat47
May 13, 2013, 11:13 PM
Has your opinion of these rounds changed since the availability became an issue?

Did you find uses for any of them that you would not even have considered before, if LR would have been available?

There could be more questions concerning these 3 rounds but I just threw a couple up there. I have always shot all 3 on a regular basis. I have 'still' hunted squirrels with 22 short a lot in my life with scoped rifle, usually my 39A. Shorts and patience in a good day equals a full creel without moving a whole lot and no damaged meat! :cool:

I have always used shorts to dispatch small rodents and snakes and moved on up to Long and Long rifle for different things. The 39A had a lot to do with this seeing that it would shoot all 3.

The ammo shortage had me buying what was available in the store at the time. Short and Long were available long after all the LR was gone when it started, so I got it too... I had always shot it so why not? it even surprised me that people left it on shelf when LR was not available, but it is mostly a lever gun ability to use all 3.

So there, your input!

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 Rimfire - Short - Long - Long Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chris-bob
May 13, 2013, 11:37 PM
I too have a 39A, as well as several bolt actions that take S,L, and LR. I buy it all whenever I can.

spanishjames
May 13, 2013, 11:48 PM
Shorts and longs are great in revolvers as well.

shiftyer1
May 14, 2013, 12:23 AM
I've not used shorts much, grew up using only mini mags until age 15 or so for everything.

Grandpa mentioned longs and shorts but all he bought was mini mags....I have revolvers and one rifle that will cycle real shorts so i'd buy some if I found some.

I have a pellet rifle that probably has the same power of a short......I don't have a problem finding ammo for it:)

CZguy
May 14, 2013, 12:52 AM
I use shorts for squirrel hunting from time to time. But I haven't seen a .22 long since the 1960s.

kmrcstintn
May 14, 2013, 01:04 AM
I only have one .22 firearm, a Ruger Mk III standard semiautomatic pistol, which requires .22 long rifle...good thing a I bought a few bricks before the mass buyout happened last year

vkeith
May 14, 2013, 01:19 AM
I haven't seen Longs for sale around here in over 30 years. Haven't bought any shorts in quite a while either, as I now use .22 Super Colibris for quiet critter dispatching. Everything else I shoot is .22 LR standard or high velocity. I have enough of it that the shortage hasn't affected me, yet.

Bruno2
May 14, 2013, 01:23 AM
They are not very common at the box stores. However, a decent LGS has them in stock usually.

Bruno2
May 14, 2013, 01:26 AM
Have any of you guys seen the Troy Landry special edition mini mags?

Choot em choot em!
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/979430/cci-mini-mag-high-velocity-ammunition-troy-landry-special-edition-22-long-rifle-36-grain-plated-lead-hollow-point-box-of-375

ngnrd
May 14, 2013, 02:01 AM
My Buckmark Camper pistol will only shoot long rifle. My Winchester 190 rifles will shoot both long and long rifle. My Super Single Six will shoot everything from Short to Magnum.

But, besides some Mags for the Single Six, I've only ever bought long rifle; before the panic, during the panic, and (most likely) after the panic. Nothing has changed for me yet. I doubt anything will.

4tsmith
May 14, 2013, 03:54 AM
Has your opinion of these rounds changed since the availability became an issue?

Did you find uses for any of them that you would not even have considered before, if LR would have been available?

There could be more questions concerning these 3 rounds but I just threw a couple up there. I have always shot all 3 on a regular basis. I have 'still' hunted squirrels with 22 short a lot in my life with scoped rifle, usually my 39A. Shorts and patience in a good day equals a full creel without moving a whole lot and no damaged meat! :cool:

I have always used shorts to dispatch small rodents and snakes and moved on up to Long and Long rifle for different things. The 39A had a lot to do with this seeing that it would shoot all 3.

The ammo shortage had me buying what was available in the store at the time. Short and Long were available long after all the LR was gone when it started, so I got it too... I had always shot it so why not? it even surprised me that people left it on shelf when LR was not available, but it is mostly a lever gun ability to use all 3.

So there, your input!
Funny you should mention this...
Around Thanksgiving I scored a couple of little C&R 22 revolvers and after shooting them with Aguilla colibri/super colibr,I found myself less than impressed.Road trip,research time!

At an LGS we found CCI low velocity CB shorts and longs (29grn at 710fps)Each gun had It's favorite but both shot much better with extra weight and velocity,but still soft enough not to hurt the guns and still pretty quiet.

At the time this LGS was loaded to the rafters and the prices were fair,so it was sample time.This looked like a good time to solve the quiet 22 but no bucks for a silencer thing.
( sample guns,K22 S&W,Remington 34,Mossberg 46b,Rossi 62 pump)

CCI-Quiet 22lr(710fps/40grn.)Air gun quiet,surprising accuracy to 20 yards.
CCI-22 short(27grn plated HP/1105fps) sub sonic in revolver and rifles over 19 inch barrels,laser accurate thumper past 40 yards.

Remington-22 GB short(plated 29 grn solid/1095fps)Quiet hard hitter.

Remington-22lr sub sonic(38grn HP/1095fps)Accurate,quiet,hard hitter.

Remington-CBee22lr(33grn lead truncated HP/740fps)This really surprised me,shot a squirrel at about 15+ yards and he flipped like he had been hit with a death ray...and surprise..surprise,the bullet actually expanded a little,but stayed under the opposite shoulder.
Have to confess to having more fun than allowed by law testing and I think maybe I understand why my dad and uncles always seemed to have a box of 22 shorts laying around.Now if some of them were still around to share the moment with....

76shuvlinoff
May 14, 2013, 05:55 AM
I have a couple 39As, a Marlin 60, a Ted Williams single shot lever action from the 70s (my first real "gun"), an armscor m16 clone stashed out in the barn for close critter work and a .22 conversion for my 1911.
About the only one I run shorts in is the single shot lever. We get bunnies like rats and sometimes you just gotta thin em out. A well placed short will get it done.

Salmoneye
May 14, 2013, 06:10 AM
I have a Winchester 1906 that will take all three, and almost exclusively shoot shorts through it...

Love that little gun...

Carl N. Brown
May 14, 2013, 06:28 AM
Back in the 1950s there was a big price difference between short, long and long rifle. Shorts were real inexpensive compared to long rifle, and long was kept in production for the few guns that were .22 long only.

When dad and I went to the mountain to visit relatives, every one had a .22 bolt action behind the door, and often used .22 Short for edible game and .22 long rifle for predators around the farm. Some had their rifle's POA down pat and POI for S, L, LR committed to memory.

Marlin took a big risk introducing the Model 99 (basis of the Model 60) in 1959 as a .22 long rifle only. The big selling point in my childhood was "S, L, LR" on the barrel.

Since then, economy of scale has made .22 LR more economical. Except when there is a gross shortage like the past 5 months.

MedWheeler
May 14, 2013, 07:51 AM
I used to buy shorts and CB/BB caps quite a bit for backyard shooting in the city limits (at the time, mine was the only home on my street, but there were a couple of others within walking distance.) Shot 'em out of a single-shot rifle (Stevens M89) and out of a Taurus M94 revolver.

I still have a couple of boxes of them, and might get to using them again. I don't have the Taurus anymore, but I do have a Heritage Rough Rider they might be fun putting through, as well as the rifle. I live in a more-populated area now, though, compared to where I was when I bought them, which was around 1991.

pockets
May 14, 2013, 10:01 AM
in the mid-1960's I would buy whatever Woolworths or the local general store had on hand...sometimes that meant Shorts or Longs.
The only 'Longs' I've seen lately were CCI 'CB Long', right next to the CCI 'CB Short'. I keep a few boxes of each around.
The only 'Shorts' I shoot now are some I keep on hand for an Astra 2000. Although 11 of my rifles (lever, bolt, pump, & single shot) and 7 of my revolvers handle Short, Long, Long Rifle, CB Short, CB Long, Colibri, and Super Colibri.
I still have many thousands of .22LR rounds stocked. I've no need to look for anything right now.

powder
May 14, 2013, 10:46 AM
.22WMR, I know it was not an option, but I've been stock-piling it for several years before I even had my 597 WMR. Between the (2) options, definitely the LR for semi-auto rifles.

ShamboPyro
May 14, 2013, 12:04 PM
I have a buckmark chambered in 22lr that will cycle shorts. I also have a model 1890 winchester that will only shoot shorts.

12many
May 14, 2013, 12:04 PM
I sometimes shoot shorts out of an old long barrell mossberg bolt action that is tube feed from under the barrel. It holds an insane number of short rounds and seems like it never runs out. I have never compared if the accuracy suffers with a short. I just shoot this at short range.

CZguy
May 14, 2013, 03:32 PM
For those of you who are able to buy .22 longs (before the crash) where were you finding them? What brands? How about some pictures.

12many
May 14, 2013, 04:09 PM
CCI makes longs. Many places don't stock them. They are more expensive.

I like standard velocity LR over longs. I don't know what the benefit to longs are, unless your rifle requires longs as is the case with some older rifles. Longs may be quieter?

farscott
May 14, 2013, 07:24 PM
I used to buy CCI CB Longs to shoot in my .22 LR Contender carbine when quiet shooting in the backyard was the aim (like on Sunday morning when the rest of the family was asleep). Since then, I have always kept a case on hand. I like the CCI CB Longs because they are both sub-sonic and have the same case length as a Long Rifle. I have always been concerned about chamber erosion from shooting the shorter cases in the LR chamber because it can cause sticky extraction if the longer case expands into the eroded area. The CCI ammo eliminates that concern.

22-rimfire
May 14, 2013, 08:46 PM
I buy them all. As a kid, I shot shorts and longs a lot. At that time, shorts were priced about a nickle less than long rifles. When I got a little older, I would buy long rifles on sale at $0.50/box or $5.00/brick.

Never really shot shorts or longs much after that. My first 22 rifle was a semi-auto and it would not feed shorts or longs.

I shoot shorts or CB Shorts now mostly for their low noise level.

Tomcat47
May 14, 2013, 09:56 PM
I am enjoying the response to this thread..... :cool:

Today's score at LGS in pic below. 1 box 100 CCI 22 Long 29 gr 710 FPS and 150 rounds of CCI Std 40 gr 1070 FPS

Hopefully getting Stingers in soon he said. He has good stock on the above for sure.. I guess he had around 300 boxes of the Long and maybe 400 boxes of LR

I will go by again Friday to get my cut... :)

I shoot shorts out of Taurus 9 shot revolver all the time as well.. 6" barrel is very accurate with the shorts generally plinking around 25 yards.

I do enjoy the squirrel hunting with them. Im going to play with longs shortly when the grand kids come over in a couple weeks... :D

saenzrich
May 15, 2013, 12:32 AM
keep a close eye.... https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/2365 was instock yesterday and https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/24146 has had great reviews and cheap considering todays prices

ColtPythonElite
May 15, 2013, 12:38 AM
My Remington 550 shoots all three. The 550 & 552 are some of the few semis that will feed all three.

12many
May 15, 2013, 12:30 PM
Hey CZguy, check out SGAMMO.com. They often have CCI longs in stock. Price is ok, not including shipping. I paid about this a few years ago but no shipping. They had some in stock a week ago.

bhk
May 15, 2013, 02:59 PM
I think some folks confuse the traditional .22 long (a full-power rimfire with a 29 grain bullet) with the CCI long CB (a reduced-power cartridge with the same 710 fps as the CCI CB short). The traditional long and CB long are very different animals. Years ago, the power (and cost) progression was short, long, and long rifle. The introduction of CCIs reduced-power CB long has confused the issue a lot, especially with folks too young to remember the traditional long.

12many
May 15, 2013, 04:31 PM
I shoot a good bit of .22 and had wondered why CCI made the CB's in long and not LR. I figured they would make the CB in LR. Must be some reason, but I don't know it. Maybe it has to do with bullett weight.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/22_rimfire_cartridges.htm

mboylan
May 15, 2013, 05:46 PM
.22 S and L use shorter 29 grain bullets and require a different barrel twist than the .22LR for better accuracy. Dedicated S and L barrels do much better than one for all.

bhk
May 15, 2013, 08:56 PM
I shoot a good bit of .22 and had wondered why CCI made the CB's in long and not LR. I figured they would make the CB in LR. Must be some reason, but I don't know it. Maybe it has to do with bullett weight.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/22_rimfire_cartridges.htm
They have one now in the form of the CCI Quiet. It is a low powered load with a 40 grain bullet.

rcmodel
May 15, 2013, 09:00 PM
wondered why CCI made the CB's in long and not LR.The make the CB long in a long rifle case to prevent chamber fouling with the short case.

They use the light bullet because it is shorter, provides less bore friction, and the powderless CB needs all the help it can get to prevent stuck bullets in the bore.

As for full power .22 Long's.
I don't think Winchester or Remington has made them for many years.

CCI still does, but I don't recall ever seeing any for sale on a shelf.

rc

351 WINCHESTER
May 15, 2013, 09:08 PM
Back when I was a kid in the 60's I bought the best I could afford, usually shorts and longs, only long rifle for special occasions. There was a price difference of about .10 between shorts and longs and .10 more for long rifle.

CZguy
May 15, 2013, 10:55 PM
Back when I was a kid in the 60's I bought the best I could afford, usually shorts and longs, only long rifle for special occasions. There was a price difference of about .10 between shorts and longs and .10 more for long rifle.

Me too. My money for shells came from picking up empty pop bottles along the country road, for two cents each. As I recall a box of Winchester Super X .22 LR cost ninety eight cents a box plus two cents tax.

351 WINCHESTER
May 15, 2013, 11:19 PM
You're lucky. All I could buy was Peters at the local convience store. Those were the days. I was buying my own ammo when I was like 13 and had my .22 rifle in my bicycle basket and no one cared.

bracer
May 16, 2013, 12:28 AM
Over the years whenever Iv gotten rim fire rifles I tried out various brand of ammo. When I found a brand that my RF rifle liked I purchased a bunch so I could care less about the current over priced or non available ammo.

Agsalaska
May 16, 2013, 12:37 AM
22 Rimfires are all I really shoot, or at least enjoy shooting. I shoot a few others on occasion, but the only gun I truly ENJOY shooting as a recreational activity is 22. My favorite gun to shoot on this planet is the Remington 121 The Fieldmaster in 22lr. I occasionally get shorts, CB's, and Longs. But mostly just 22lr. Turtles are my favorite target. I also like full beer cans shaken up real good(I know I know, waisting a good beer). But I 22 will cut a full beer shaken up in half if you hit it right. Bottles of tonic water are pretty good too.

Ignition Override
May 16, 2013, 12:43 AM
Not really.
With my .22 supply a little below 2,000 rds. (my min. limit), I've been shooting a fair bit of 8mm Mauser, .308 and 7.62x39 instead.
Tomorrow using M2 Ball in my M-1, and some Swiss 7.5 in a friend's K-31.

Deltaboy
May 16, 2013, 09:45 PM
I have a 512 Remington and a Mossie single shot that I use shorts in them.

22-rimfire
May 16, 2013, 10:01 PM
As for full power .22 Long's.
I don't think Winchester or Remington has made them for many years.

CCI still does, but I don't recall ever seeing any for sale on a shelf.

The only retail store I have seen regular longs has been at Sportsman Warehouse.

I also supplemented my "income" picking up pop bottles riding my bike when I was a kid. I had no income. I'd get $1.50 for mowing a big yard with a push mower, hours of work. But that was two boxes of 22 shells.

788Ham
May 16, 2013, 10:08 PM
The CB Longs are powered like the other CB's, just a priming compound for power, thats why so quiet. I've dispatched 4 cottontails with CB Longs, an older Rem. # 33 rifle, knocks the snot out of them.

I've shot S,L & LR for years out of the same rifle, long distances are the only indicator of accuracy. In fact, dwnstrs a month ago checking .22 supplies, I found a brick of .22 shorts I'd forgotten I had, $6.00 for the brick of Remingtons. Am holding off shooting until supplies pick up, hate to dip into the 6K too hard.

Cee Zee
May 16, 2013, 10:10 PM
There are a lot more rifles besides lever rifles that shoot shorts and longs. Several companies make tube fed models that take all 3 rimfire .22's. Some do take magnums but that's pretty rare. I have two .22 rifles that will shoot all 3. One is a single shot Stevens. It has taken more squirrels than the rest of my .22's combined and a big part of them were killed with shorts. Back in the 60's shorts were cheaper than longs or LR's so that's what we bought. We had a hard enough time rounding up enough money to buy anything and mom and dad wouldn't buy them for us. We were expected to pull our own weight when it came to fun stuff in those days. It was pretty easy to find work on the local farms so we could keep ourselves in ammo but we always got the best bang for the buck which at the time was shorts.

That's not even true now. Shorts are more expensive than bulk LR's in many cases. I still buy shorts but for a different reason now. They're great for those late night varmints where you don't want to disturb the neighbors. Plus I can put 25 of them in my Marlin XT-22 TR. That's a lot of shooting before you need to reload. It can come in handy if you have a pack of dogs attacking the chicken coop or whatever. I haven't had that problem in a long time. But sometimes you can find a reason to shoot a lot without reloading.

For one thing there are shorts that are supersonic now. They are lighter of course but they exist. It's plenty enough to knock a squirrel down out of a tree.

rcmodel
May 16, 2013, 10:28 PM
When I was about 12 or so, my job on the farm was to get on my bike, and go kill jack rabbits before and after school with my Winchester 47 single-shot, or later Model 77 semi-auto.

We were over-run with them, and they were eating the wheat fields down to the dirt & roots.
Then digging holes in the dust to lay in, and the wheat fields were blowing away.

My dad bought me all the .22 LR by the brick I needed to keep on killing them at the grain elevator in town.

At the time, Remington came out with the Remington Rocket .22 Short. It came in a flat 28 round 'chicklet package' with a clear window in the front. It carried a sintered iron bullet, and unlike HS LR, or HS Short HP, would not kill a jack rabbit reliably if you shot his eye out!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/22Rocket-2_zps23bc3676.jpg

About sundown, dad would come to the fields with a tractor and we would load them up and haul them home to feed to the hogs.
We got .5 cents bounty on a pair of ears from the county, and that was more then enough to pay for the ammo!!

Shooting them morning and night every day at long range, moving, setting, or jumping up & down, I got to be a good enough shot to get on an Army AMU team a few years later, instead of going to Vietnam to be a target myself!!

The next winter, the Jacks got some kind of disease, and they would set in the wheat fields and freeze to death at night.

I would shoot them, and nothing happened because they were froze solid as a rock where they last sat down to munch on the emerging winter wheat.

After that winter in the late 1950's, there are still no jack rabbits to this day where I grew up.

If you don't believe it?
Here is a clip of jack rabbit drives held in Kansas during the dust bowl days.
Clip #8 in this link:
http://www.kansasmemory.org/item/204928

It was almost that bad again when I was a boy in the 50's.
The town of Westphalia KS was still having jack rabbit drives then.

Farmers & ranchers would band together on a Sunday and beat jack rabbits to death with a club, or stab them with pitchforks.
While the womenfolk were cooking a big dinner for the hunters

Try that on for size todays SPCA!!

rc

bhk
May 16, 2013, 10:38 PM
The CB Longs are powered like the other CB's, just a priming compound for power, thats why so quiet. I've dispatched 4 cottontails with CB Longs, an older Rem. # 33 rifle, knocks the snot out of them.

Actually, CCI CBs do have a powder charge in them. Pull a bullet and see (several grains of greenish gray powder). Aguilas Super Colibris also have a powder charge (regular Colibris may not?). "Way back when" some cb ammo was loaded without powder, but not much anymore.

rcmodel
May 16, 2013, 10:52 PM
+1

The CCI CB Cap does have powder.
Aguila Super Colibri do to.

That's why they are so much louder then Aquila Colibri, which only have a primer mix.

rc

Agsalaska
May 16, 2013, 11:01 PM
cool story rcmodel. Days gone by.

Cee Zee
May 16, 2013, 11:02 PM
Interesting how a species can come and go like that. Makes that whole theory of evolution have some big holes n it IMO. I hardly ever saw a rabbit when I was a kid. Some said they had been hunted out but others said it was some sort of blight. I always thought the hunted out theory made more sense because people needed free food in the 30's and 40's. But maybe it was a disease. I've seen other animals get wiped out by disease I guess. But I saw them get hunted out too. Like quail. They were totally wiped out in my county and there still are none there 50 years later. Other species (like deer, rabbit and turkey) made a comeback but not quail.

Hanshi
May 16, 2013, 11:02 PM
I have an M39A and a Rem 514. When I was a youth I'd buy and shoot more shorts and longs than long rifle. IIRC, but usually don't, shorts were .50 cents a box, or maybe that was longs and the shorts were .40 cents. Anyway, the LRs were maybe as much as a nickel more than longs; I bought the cheapest, mostly. Long rifles were for special occasions.

I also shot a ton of CB and BB caps and killed a ton of squirrels with them. The CBs had a powder charge but the BBs were primer powered only. The CBs I bought had a shorter case than the CBs I see today. These little rounds made .22 shooting really fun.

rcmodel
May 16, 2013, 11:12 PM
But I saw them get hunted out too. Like quail. Other species (like deer, rabbit and turkey) made a comeback but not quail. Our quail population declined in direct proportion to the number and size of the turkey flocks introduced here by the state F&G commission.

The turkey flocks live and eat in the same habitat the quail used to live in.

But a big flock of turkeys can march across a field line abreast, and eat everything that moves or doesn't, including all seeds, all bugs, the quail eggs, and the baby quail that can't fly or outrun them.

When the turkeys were introduced here, the quail became history a few short years later.

No F&G biologist will ever convince me the turkey stocking program in Kansas didn't wipe out the quail population here.

That's my story, and I'm sticking too it.

rc

CZguy
May 17, 2013, 01:47 AM
Turkeys did the same thing here in Missouri.

Carl N. Brown
May 17, 2013, 04:32 AM

I remember in 1960 that on an allowance of $2 a week, I could go to the Rialto for a double bill of "Attack of the Killer Shrews" and "The Giant Gila Monster", popcorn, coke, Resse's cups, and after the movie pick up a copy of "Famous Monsters of Filmland" at the newstand. I did a little checking recently and a dollar in 1960, adjusted for inflation, had the buying power of about $7.50 in 2010. A lot of my complaining about the price of decent .22 ammo today needs mental adjustment for inflation.

Economy of mass production, demand and distribution since then have made the long rifle usually cheaper than short or long. It seems Short and Long are made today mainly for the guns that still exist that were .22 short or .22 long only. A lot of shooting gallery guns were .22 short only--pumps, bottom ejecting Remington semi-autos, and a few Nylon 66.

I have seen a few models of rifles listed in catalogs as .22 long only; in some pumps there was not a magazine cut-off, so they fed only the round the cartridge lifter was designed for, Short or Long or Long Rifle.

Back in the 1950s and 1960s I do recall that a few folks would shoot the .22 long in their S, L, LR rifles as a cheap practice or short range load rather than use shorts to avoid building up a ring of fouling in the chamber that might interfer with chambering long rifle.

Here for what it is worth is a table I build (still under construction) on the development of .22 rimfire cartridges.
.22 Rimfire Timeline

Heeled
Year Cartridge Case Bullet Overall Description
1845 BB .284" 20 GR .343" Flobert Bullet Breech cap round ball
1857 Short .423" 29 gr .686" Smith & Wesson cartridge #1
1871 Long .595" 29 gr .798" ¨Frank Wesson?
1880 Extra Long .750" 40 gr 1.160" ¨?
1887 Long Rifle .595" 40 gr .985" J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co
1888 CB .284" 20 gr ---- Conical Bullet version of BB*
1975 CCI Stinger .710" 32 gr .985" almost extra long case, semi-S bullet
---- Aguila SSS .423" 60 gr .985" Short case, Long Rifle overall length
Frank Wesson I believe was a rifle maker.

The original BB Cap was a rimmed musket cap with a round ball used in single shot guns. I think the Germans called them Zimmerpatrone or room cartridges for indoor target practice. Those were primer-power only, and most Flobert guns I have seen (mostly in photos) were breechloading single shots. When the CB idea was resurrected, the manufacturers elected to use the short and long case so the cartridges could be used in magazine fed repeaters.

When old timers told me about using a .22 Extra Long, I wondered about their memory. But there was an .22 EL cartridge, that added more black powder and a heavier bullet than the Long. The guns also would chamber and fire .22 S and L. Then Stevens got the idea of topping a Long case with the .22 EL 40 grain bullet to make a Long Rifle cartridge, which made the Extra Long obsolete in a few generations.

My .22 LR Remington Nylon 66 feeds, fires and ejects the 60 gr Aguila SSS perfectly. Other .22 Long Rifle semi-autos I own don't always eject the short case used with the SSS.

Chris-bob
May 17, 2013, 01:05 PM
I remember in 1960 that on an allowance of $2 a week, I could go to the Rialto for a double bill of "Attack of the Killer Shrews" and "The Giant Gila Monster", popcorn, coke, Resse's cups, and after the movie pick up a copy of "Famous Monsters of Filmland" at the newstand. I did a little checking recently and a dollar in 1960, adjusted for inflation, had the buying power of about $7.50 in 2010. A lot of my complaining about the price of decent .22 ammo today needs mental adjustment for inflation.
That right there shows that it isn't just inflation, but the price of goods as well. In 2010 you would not have the same afternoon with your $7.50.

12many
May 17, 2013, 01:15 PM
That and I don't think wages for the average wage earner have kept up with other price increases.

Cee Zee
May 17, 2013, 01:29 PM
When the turkeys were introduced here, the quail became history a few short years later.

That could well be but in my area we didn't have either for about 25 years. After the quail were hunted out it was at least 25 years before I saw a turkey. For a while turkey were very thick but they have been cut back now too. I think the coyotes and the bears are killing them just like they are the deer. We had way too many deer for a long time. They brought in coyotes to try to control them but it didn't work so they brought in bear. That did work.

22-rimfire
May 17, 2013, 01:32 PM
I remember in 1960 that on an allowance of $2 a week...

You must have had generous parents. I got $0.50/week and often my Dad didn't even have the money to pay that. $0.50 equates to about a box of shorts a week.

dab102999
May 17, 2013, 01:33 PM
I use shorts for squirrel hunting from time to time. But I haven't seen a .22 long since the 1960s.
Stopped by a local store last night and he had 100 round CCI's for just over $8. My boy is having issues with his higgens and I thought all that 20 year old 22 ammo might be the culpret so I bought a couple boxs. When I got home it was 22 long and not LR. Actually took me a couple minutes looking at it to tell the difference, been so long since I have seen any. Also have been seeing lots of 22 Short lately also.

bracer
May 19, 2013, 08:09 AM
Back in 1949 when I was given my first rifle ,a Rem 121 pump rifle I tried out a box of 22 Short ammo. Since then I only get 22 LR ammo brands that are accurate in my rifles.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 Rimfire - Short - Long - Long Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!