Fn 49???

PDA

Archangel14
May 14, 2013, 12:58 AM
My LGS has an FN 49 in 7mm. Made in Belgium, I would rate it as "very good' condition. The furniture is actually better than very good, and I wonder if it's the the original stock. No dings, gashes, or discoloration. Smooth, clean wood. The barrel is in very good shape. The receiver and bolt have very good bluing. The magazine is a bit knocked around and shows a fair amount of dings and bare metal. I really liked the weight and feel of the rifle. One thing I noticed is that it has "M1A" stamped on it (I don't recall if it was on the barrel or receiver). I thought that is odd. So does anyone have an opinion about that and what a fair price should be? It's listed at $800.

Thanks........

If you enjoyed reading about "Fn 49???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ottsixx
May 14, 2013, 01:36 AM
I watched 3 of those go to auction and they all brought a bit over 4 digits a couple weeks back.

Ignition Override
May 14, 2013, 02:44 AM
Two years ago that was the approx. price for FN-49s at a local gun show.
A private seller had 49s in 7x57, 8mm Mauser and 30-06.

For what it's worth, last night Samco no longer showed any surplus 7x57 mm ammo on their website. They had a bit over two weeks ago at about .22/round.

Willie Sutton
May 14, 2013, 09:44 AM
Extremely under rated rifle. Uses the same tilting block system as the later FAL, and is one of the great Battle Rifle designss of all time.

If you can find one of the Lux or Belgian army issue .30-06's you really have something. I prize mine.

The 7mm Mauser ones from Venezuela have wood that is impossibly good for a military rifle. Just beautiful. I suspect that this is what is offered to you.

The 8mm ones ex-Egypt are usually a bit beat up, but are still great rifles.

I've got an even dozen in my collection, including two original snipers. They are second only to the Garand as a world class "wood stocked semi auto battle rifle" design. In many ways they are a superior rifle to a Garand: Only the chances of timing on the worlds stage prevented it from becoming famous.

Willie

Chris-bob
May 14, 2013, 08:34 PM
So what would you offer for an Egyptian in 8mm with the fore stock cut down and the bayonet mount removed? There's one locally and they told me to make an offer.

Ignition Override
May 14, 2013, 10:00 PM
Willie Sutton:
If 'Service Grade' Garands at the CMP were listed at much higher prices (as they one day will be), along with M2 Ball ammo at much higher prices than .50/rd., I would have bought an FN-49 instead.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fn 49???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!