Red Dot Finish got "Gummy"

PDA

jstein650
May 15, 2013, 07:10 PM
I have a BSA red dot sight, hardly one of the better RD's out there. It came with a rubbery sort of finish, which I kind of liked. I don't know what it was exposed to, but the entire finish has become gummy and sticky, pretty gross. Anyone out there ever found a way to remedy/clean such a thing? Kind of embarrassing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Red Dot Finish got "Gummy"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
12many
May 15, 2013, 07:12 PM
I would try to clean it all off bit by bit. I have had other things to this and it is a mess. Good luck.

steven58
May 15, 2013, 07:29 PM
I had this happen to a new in box 3-9 X scope that I received as a gift (I think it was a Tasco). It had an oval profile, wide angle objective and was completely covered in a rubber coating that had turned sticky.

After numerous failed attempts to remove the "stickiness" with household cleaners I used acetone and blue scrubber sponges to easily and completely remove the rubber coating. Underneath was an anodized Al finish. YMMV.

Use the acetone sparingly and don't get it on the lenses or in joints or cracks where it could compromise seals.

jstein650
May 15, 2013, 07:35 PM
Cool guys. I now know where to begin.

SabbathWolf
May 15, 2013, 07:37 PM
Throw it in the refrigerator for an hour.

oneounceload
May 15, 2013, 08:49 PM
Those types of finishes can have issues when exposed to things like bug screen, sun screen and similar products. DEET did a number on my electronic ear muffs on the soft vinyl ear covering

jstein650
May 15, 2013, 09:15 PM
Yeah, DEET is some bad news on certain plastics. The only thing I've ever seen ruin the acrylic type watch crystals.

rcmodel
May 15, 2013, 09:17 PM
I had a pair of rubber coated binoculars like that that went south in the truck console summer heat.

I ended up scraping it all off, washing the rest of it with acetone solvent, and spray painting them with Rustolum Flat Black enamel.

That was years ago, and they still look halfway decent.

rc

r1derbike
May 16, 2013, 12:31 AM
I used some orange based cleaner on an old BSA rubberized scope that did that. Took me over two hours, but now I like to sniff the scope when I take the gun out. I blamed the problem with storing it with other guns with all manner of oil and lubricants in an enclosed gun case, the fumes of which probably softened the coating.

jstein650
May 16, 2013, 12:33 AM
Another good idea! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Red Dot Finish got "Gummy"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!