What's the best shot you ever made?

PDA

OptimusPrime
May 16, 2013, 09:45 PM
Here's a fun question: what's the best single shot you ever made? Be it hunting, or target, or professional (cops and military), or just plinking; what shot do you brag about when you get half a chance?
For me, it was a wood duck that was just screaming along the surface of the river, seemed like about 45 yards out, maybe 3 feet over the water. A crossing shot left to right as fast as he could go and I tumbled him right in. Took the dog quite a while to swim out to him but we got him back and in the bag.

What's yours?

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the best shot you ever made?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Unemployedshooter
May 16, 2013, 09:50 PM
At the end of a three magazine moving pistol course of fire, took a 35 yard shot with my sidearm. Nailed it first shot on an eight inch plate. I qualify every year, but never considered myself a good shot.

Hurryin' Hoosier
May 16, 2013, 09:56 PM
Answering that question got Tom Horn in a whole bunch of trouble!

J-Bar
May 16, 2013, 09:56 PM
We were playing 14-1 call shot in the student union when I was a senior in college; the 10 ball was just off the rack as the rest of the balls were spotted to continue the run. I made a double bank shot off the end rail, caroming the cue ball off the rack into the object ball and nudged the 10 ball into the corner pocket.

I won 25 cents with that shot, and walked around like Paul Newman in "The Hustler" for a week.

tryshoot
May 16, 2013, 09:59 PM
A 5 iron that the ball hit My brother in the butt at 75 yds after telling him not to go ahead. Made good shots, but never a GREAT shot with a gun. I did hit a sitting clay at 85 yds with a 5.5 single action ruger in 9mm once. Don't ask me to do it again. Walked a way with out repeat.

hovercat
May 16, 2013, 10:07 PM
1984, Ohio, was 12 years old. 3 of us were roaming the woods with our pellet rifles.
DRT'd a blackbird at 86 (12 year old) paces. 1 shot, iron sights. Used my buddy's shoulder for a rest and aimed about 3 feet high. Best of all, I had witnesses.
Back then, if you wanted to hunt rabbits on a farmer's land in the fall, you killed every blackbird and crow that you saw.

bk42261
May 16, 2013, 10:08 PM
Took a shot a a woodchuck at 375 yards, and {missed him by that much}
(A little GET SMART)
Missed but he came back out of his hole to see what that big pile of dust was. Next shot hit him on the very tip of his nose-Speer 75 gr. hp from .243
Wichester literally turned him inside out.
Turkey buzzards were there within minutse.

Liberty1776
May 16, 2013, 10:18 PM
My younger brother, who I was pissed at (imagine that) was trying to escape on his bike. I picked up a big apple and must have instinctively led him just right because it arced up and hit him right between the shoulder blades, knocking him off his bicycle...:D

Steve CT
May 16, 2013, 10:18 PM
First time out with the NIB #000001 Dan Wesson .445 Supermag. While waiting to go downrange to change targets, we started breaking rocks on the berm.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w160/sdrct/P9100011-1.jpg

btg3
May 16, 2013, 10:25 PM
Fatal head shot to a squirrel on a residential power line using a slingshot with gravel ammo.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
May 16, 2013, 10:28 PM
Not my shot, but my dads. 20+ years ago my brother and I were shooting skeet. Me with a 12 gauge my brother with a 20 gauge. My dad walks out and grabs my Ruger MkII bull barrel off of the table and laughingly told me to "pull". I pulled a single skeet , he one shot it about a half inch from center. I laid the shotgun down and, I swear have not shot skeet again...

I was amazed....luck or not.....

MRH
May 16, 2013, 10:32 PM
Actually, three shots. About five years ago, shot a triple on Doves using my 20 ga, Beretta 391 Urika, while hunting in southern CO.

Have shot several doubles on Doves, but this was my first and only triple with any shotgun.

Mike

Deltaboy
May 16, 2013, 10:33 PM
Scoring 246-250 with a Sigma 'VE 40 cal.

Killing a standing squirrel off a fence post at 100 yards with a Marlin 60 with my Dad and Great Uncle watching and swearing I could not kill it. The ammo was CCI mini mag ammo.

gspn
May 16, 2013, 10:36 PM
On my first pheasant trip in South Dakota I was designated as a "blocker". This was a totally foreign affair for me as I'd always been taught to not point a gun at another hunter and this "drivers and blockers" technique looked pretty much like a civil war skirmish. Four of us stood on one end of a strip of corn that seemed to stretch clear over to Massachusetts. The other 8 hunters started marching right toward us...shooting birds as they jumped up.

I was a corner blocker. My station was where the standing corn met the stubble where the rest had already been cut down. A few minutes had gone by and the "drivers" were in the corn. They'd occasionally have one jump up and we could hear shouts of "ROOSTER!" or "HEN!"

Sometimes a shot would ring out and sometimes 10 shots would erupt. At one point a big deer busted out of the corn and ran between two blockers! Holy mackerel...talk about a surprise! The anticipation really started welling up as the drivers drew closer. My heart beat faster the closer they got. The birds would run along the ground in the corn stalks to stay ahead of the drivers...but eventually they met us...standing at the edge of the corn.

Now we had a big rectangle boxing these birds in. It was like a human fence with pheasants in the middle. In a way it reminded me of an old west gun fight...who would flinch first? As these birds stared us down they had a choice to make...do they sit tight hoping nobody sees them? Or do they burst into the sky in a race for freedom?

There was a lot of chatter as the drivers grew close...it was people reminding each other not to shoot low...to be careful and mindful of the other hunters. Well soon enough those birds decided it was high time to get out of dodge and they started JUMPING up out of that corn. "ROOSTER! BOOM! BOOM! ROOSTER! BOOM!" Big brightly colored pheasant were leaping into the air on that South Dakota prairie and it was a sight to behold. Red heads gave way to purple iridescent rings that flowed into big orange and black bodies with powerful wings that faded away to impossibly-long, tiger-striped tail feathers. To a guy not used to seeing such creatures it was enough to temporarily freeze me.

It was raining feathers and birdshot under the biggest clearest blue sky you could ever imagine. Birds were falling, men were laughing, dogs were running...it was absolute mayhem. About the time it was slowing down, a rooster busted out the back door past the drivers on the far side of the box.

There was a lot of excitement as EVERYONE tried to clean up that last bird. Nobody could bring him down though, and now he had the wind at his back and was moving at roughly Mach 6. He took a big semi-circular pattern when he got out of the box and his path was leading him on a diagonal to my right. Everyone was screaming "SHOOT HIM!! SHOOT HIM!!!" I think I even heard one of the dogs screaming "CHOOT HIM BILLY!!! CHOOT HIM!"

I was the last line of defense. The bird was just above the tops of the corn and heading toward the next strip when I pulled my gun up. Time slowed down, the voices faded, I could see the dog screaming at me but could no longer hear the words coming out of his mouth...I had become one with the universe. My gun swung as if another person guided it. I remember watching my barrel overtake the bird from behind, passing RIGHT under him as if he were running on the barrel, as it passed through him the trigger broke. I don't remember the sound, but I will never forget watching that bird invert, lose power, and arc down to the fertile soil of the South Dakota plains 50 yards from where I stood. I watched him in slow motion as he slid across the earth and finally came to rest just shy of the cover he sought.

My hearing returned...people were hooting and hollering, the dogs went back to barking rather than talking, and I ran toward my dinner. If I live forever I hope I never forget that one simple memory. That one shot that is burned into my brain until the day my lights go out.

wgaynor
May 16, 2013, 11:04 PM
GSPN, that was an epic tale. Thank you for sharing.

saenzrich
May 16, 2013, 11:08 PM
First shot bet that I couldn't do it at 50 yds with a PSA M4 1:7 and Vortex pst 1-4x24...wolf wpa 62. hp...ammohttp://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u431/saenzrich/AmericanSpirit1shotkill.jpg

3GunEric
May 16, 2013, 11:10 PM
Frisbee size target - 3000 meters - 1 shot - on the move - at night - in the rain:
M68 105mm Main Gun,
M1 IP Tank West Germany 1986:cool:

rule303
May 16, 2013, 11:23 PM
Last fall I was helping a friend track a deer he had shot in the morning, I was carrying my Ruger Blackhawk .44 Mag so I didn't need to fight through the brush with a rifle, and he was sure the deer was down, just lost the trail in the rain. Well, I kicked the deer up, and it was at a full run. My friend unloaded his slug gun at it and missed, by the time I unholstered the Blackhawk the deer was at about 80 yards at a full run. I pulled up and fired one shot, hit the deer in the base of the neck, it folded up instantly. I was too dumbfounded to be excited.
I couldn't make that shot again if I tried 100 times, nor would I attempt that shot at an animal that wasn't already wounded.

ID-shooting
May 16, 2013, 11:28 PM
75 yards, whistle pig, Ruger Single-Six. Friend couldn't see the ground squirrel. I lined up to just mark it, said "riiiiight about there." Pop, squirrel started flopping.

BaltimoreBoy
May 16, 2013, 11:34 PM
I was at a resort in the Ozarks. There was a young lady who was doing demonstrations of loading and firing a charcoal burner that had a double set trigger. She put up a mark and asked me to take the shot. Fortunately I had some experience with caplocks and flintlocks and I knew how sensitive these double set triggers were. I made the shot perfectly on my first (and only) try. A half-hour or so later I walked by the spot. There were 15 or so holes in the paper - none except mine had hit the mark.

I don't claim to be a great shot, but that was satisfying.

CSC_Saint
May 16, 2013, 11:35 PM
Afghanistan, March 2011- Outpost is under attack from two directions, I'm up on the hesco wall with my M-14 EBR. I see a group of guys getting geared up outside of a pickup truck 1100 meters out just able to see them between two hills. Take a spotting shot and see I overshot, adjust the elevation turret, and start going rapid fire at the group. 10-12 rounds later, gun jammed and 3 bad guys down. only 2 get away but their dragging their buddies off the battlefield.

the other good one was a 75 meter 1 shot 1 hit on a piston head with a ruger Blackhawk.

Hunter125
May 16, 2013, 11:40 PM
My most memorable shot was just screwing around with my GP 100 and some .38 Special birdshot shells. I was carrying it for some pest control in the garden and grabbed a couple clays as I was going back in the house. Just tossed them in the air by hand, missed the first one. The second I hit dead center at about 5 yards, which I know is not really impressive, but when I picked up the clay I had perfectly busted the center circle out. It's hanging on a nail in my garage right now.

SharpsDressedMan
May 16, 2013, 11:43 PM
Accurized Caspian 1911 in 9mm, Bomar sights, fired a single shot standing, two hands, and nailed a groundhog at 89 paces. I had a witness, too! 2nd Best: Lots of sighter shots over several days to get on target, but shot a ground hog at 159 yards (lasered) with the same gun and 2x Leupold scope mounted.

ED-Lo
May 17, 2013, 12:03 AM
About 3 mo. back,5am black dark my dog (part shepard and lab)escaped death twice when he chased a coon into a neighbors pond,the sound of thrashing water and the fight was on,Clad only in bathrobe and shower shoes,my .40 cal (sigma ) and hand-held spot-light i climbed over a barbwire fence,Coon was on dogs back,trying to drown him.he was about 30 ft.from the bank I took the shot one handed,blowed the coon off his back,coon weigh 18lb. I am almost 69 yrs old and not that good a shot.(devine intervinson)I love my dog and my family thinks i am a hero==

RJTravel
May 17, 2013, 12:03 AM
Long, long time ago - as a kid. High desert; unlimited view; deer so far could not see him without scope; walking crosswise, 30/06 180 grain. Held about 2 feet over and slightly in front; right through the heart. While I would never take such a foolish shot today, I've always wondered how far. Anyone have an idea?

AJumbo
May 17, 2013, 12:05 AM
When i was about 14, I was riding in Dad's pickup truck with him and my step-mom on a beautiful Arizona late summer evening. We rounded a curve in the road and rolled up on a three-foot diamondback rattler, crossing from right to left. Dad jumped on the brake and dug his Italian Peacemaker clone from under his seat; it was loaded with his somewhat vigorous 260 gr. handloads. He was driving, and I was in the passenger seat, so he handed the revolver, holstered and hanging on cartridge belt.

"Kill that snake, and don't destroy the skin," he said as I took the holstered arm. In those days, you could sell a snake skin to just about anybody (hatbands, ya know...), and a few of the local steakhouses would buy the meat. Whacking a rattler was something you just DID. Still, I wasn't looking forward to this; Dad's handloads created a fireball the size of a Volkswagen and thundered like Armageddon. I dutifully stepped out of the truck and unsnapped the Hunter holster, my mouth going the slightest bit dry.

The snake was about 15 feet away, and normally I would have simply walked up to it and shot it from basically point-blank distance. Today, some devil possessed me to take my first-ever hip shot at high value target. The revolver bucked and roared; the snake's head- and JUST its head- evaporated in a cloud of caliche dust.

All I could do was to stand there, be cool, and replace the spent round with a live one like my ears weren't even ringing (they were!) Dad had his hands crossed at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel, looking at me with one eyebrow raised in appraisal. My step-mom had had the presence of mind to put her fingers in her ears, but hadn't yet removed them. I gathered the snake, found a plastic ice bag to put it in and placed the snake in the beer cooler (I miss the Arizona I grew up in....sigh...), then jumped back in the cab. I made to hand the .45 back to Dad, but he waved me off. "Hang on to it for the drive. We may see another snake, and I'd like to know if you can do that again." Then, with a sideways smile, he offered his hand and said, "Son that was a hell of a shot." Some handshakes you treasure more than others... you know what I mean.

Keeping the adrenalin-spiked shake out of my voice, I replied, "Sure... let's go." I spent the whole rest of the drive home praying that we didn't see any more snakes!

Kynative
May 17, 2013, 12:11 AM
I got two. Got fairly consistent shooting clays from the thrower with a 10/22. Most of the time I can get 2 out of 3. You almost need a spotter to call the hits. They don't break only throw a little dust. One afternoon goofing off with an aluminum can on a pond I popped it up off the water with a low shot and hit it again before it fell back in the water. Both shots were with the same rifle. It has a Simmons 3-9 I bought at Walmart 10 years ago. I'm not a great shot. It's amazing the bond you can form with a firearm after thousands of rounds. Good times

daveinohio
May 17, 2013, 12:15 AM
I shot a Crow off a tree limb at @20 yards - with my LCP.

Agsalaska
May 17, 2013, 12:20 AM
Recently? Front nine par 5 at Ram Rock in Marble Falls Texas, one of the hardest par 70's in the state. I was 235 out down the hill to a front pen with water front and up the right side and a trap to the left. The green is just 20 feet wide where the pin was. I was too far out to feel comfortable controlling a hybrid and didnt feel I could carry the water with a three iron. So I choked down about an inch on my three wood, took a 90% swing, and let it fly. I hit it right on the screws as the old folks say. It was high with a very slight draw coming right in on the pin. It landed 6 feet short of the pin and rolled about 4 feet by. Made the putt for eagle.

THe other day I was 140 out dead into a 25 mph wind. Took the same approcah with a 6 iron to keep it out of the wind. Stuck it three feet. Made birdie.

As for guns, I have never made a shot worth noting. But I have missed plenty. :banghead:

Cee Zee
May 17, 2013, 12:24 AM
Shot a pee wee flying out of my attic because it wouldn't land anywhere to give me a good shot because it saw me shoot it's mate. Ordinarily I don't shoot song birds but my brother just had the same problem and ended up with bird mites in his house which were very expensive to eliminate. I figured a couple of bullets would do the job just fine. The first one was easy but I had to hit the second one in mid-flight after wheeling around from their exit point like I was in a gunner's chair on a B-29. Feathers flew but he didn't come down. He didn't come back either. Mission accomplished!

rcmodel
May 17, 2013, 12:35 AM
Probably a crow setting in a tree at about 275 yards.
With a Ruger .22 Standard 4" pistol.

About 1962, a friend & I were plinking cans & clods in the yard when he noticed the crow land in the tree.
He dared me to shoot at it and see if I could scare it out of the tree.

One shot, one kill, standing, one handed.

A shot I will never forget till I die.

I don't know who was more surprised, my friend, me, or the crow!

I never did fess up to him that actually hitting it was just an accident.

But I did learn that the more you practice with a pistol, the more 'accidents' like that you are likely to have.

rc

hammerklavier
May 17, 2013, 12:38 AM
Dang saenzrich! You shot it right out of his mouth did you? I bet he'll never smoke again!

hang fire
May 17, 2013, 02:55 AM
I have made many a best shot, but they were all made following many, many, many not so best shots.

Deer_Freak
May 17, 2013, 03:55 AM
The old five rail bank shot to sink the eight ball in the corner.

okiewita40
May 17, 2013, 05:54 AM
My best came when I was at FMF school. We were on the firing range. useing the old 1911's. My D.I. bet me a six pack of coke that I couldnt take out the 2x2 post. I asked how many shots. He said Use the whole magazine if you want. Went to the 25 yard line. 4 shots later the post was down. Have never been able to do it again.

Boxhead
May 17, 2013, 07:54 AM
Clearly pure luck but it was with my 8 3/8" M29 Smith I bought when I was 16 and we were doing our usual blasting along the Sacramento River where I grew up. A flock of spec's geese flew over head and for the "hell of it" I aimed (pointed?) and fire one shot bringing down a goose probably 100 yards out. I will not disclose the legality or ignorance of the event...

Sam1911
May 17, 2013, 08:48 AM
A few years back I took a pistol & carbine class with Larry Vickers. There were about 16 shooters in the class, about 14 of them law enforcement from NY and CT. They had some very nice equipment -- all ARs with optics. The other "civilian" had a Sig rifle with a scope, and I had my AK-74 with iron sights.

On the second (freezing, windy) day he had us do a "relay" shoot where we'd stand out on the 25 yd. line in a line and the first guy in line would start shooting at a metal human silhouette about 150 yds. away, offhand. When Larry yelled "HIT" the next shooter would start, and so on down the line.

We ran through that drill and some of the guys had a little trouble. Lots of misses. I hit the steel on my 3rd shot, and that was considered "great" (though I wasn't pleased -- a hit ANYWHERE on a whole silhouette only 150 yds away?).

When the last shooter made his hit, Larry said, "SWAP SHOULDERS!" and had us run the same drill from our support side. Things got dismal. Whole mags were emptied without a hit. I lined up and squeezed, "BANG ... CLANG!" First shot hit.

In the end, something close to half the class even got a hit from their support side.

Larry called us together and embarrassed me with a few very pleasant statements, and said, "Now, anybody who thinks a Kalashnikov isn't accurate enough? He just hit that target from his left shoulder with IRON SIGHTS in one shot!"

I honestly didn't think it was awesome shooting, but I was happy to hit it. Those drills instilled in me a new level of respect for those cops, though, as dinner the night before had been full of tales of patrolling with their rifles and even being called to do active shooter sweeps in schools! ...:uhoh:...

herrwalther
May 17, 2013, 08:56 AM
3 5.56 rounds through the same hole with slightly different exits at 300 firing prone.

sarge83
May 17, 2013, 09:08 AM
Model 19 S&W, 4 inch barrel, full power .357 load. Shooting with one hand at a coke can on a fence post at 50 yrds. Hit it and knocked it off with the first shot and then followed up with four more making it dance on the ground, missed the last one, and I haven't been able to repeat this shooting since.

Second one, was a stray tom cat that someone had dumped on us and we live in the boonies. It kept terrorizing and fighting our cats so I decided he needed to go to a better place. There is only one neighbor we have, my mother-in-law and she lives about 200 yards from our house.

I spotted the stray tom cat in the yard at my MIL's, she has a huge yard and he was out far away from the house so I had a clear shot. Took a ruger 10/22 with a scope and hit him on the run with one shot. I fired and he leaped into the air and I actually thought I missed him until my MIL called the next day and asked if I had finally shot that stray cat as it was laying next to her pool house dead. Guess I didn't miss after all.

bannockburn
May 17, 2013, 09:26 AM
Took the cap off of a one liter water bottle at 100 yards with my Ruger 10/22, with a Weaver K2.5 scope and Wolf Match Target ammo.

alienbogey
May 17, 2013, 01:29 PM
I walked out one morning on a friend's ranch after ground squirrels with a scoped bolt action .22LR. A robin landed about 60 yards away and I put the borrowed rifle to shoulder just to get comfortable with it. As I settled into the scope he took off, flying 90 degrees to me, and just for the heck of it I flicked the safety off, pulled some lead, and pulled the trigger. He folded.

I walked over and found I had put that .22 round through his eyeball. No witnesses.

trapper1
May 17, 2013, 01:34 PM
A triple on geese, or going ten for ten on doves. It's a toss up.

CountryUgly
May 17, 2013, 01:56 PM
Best "skill shot" ever was a deer dropped in his tracks at 690 yards +/- a foot with a 30-06... Best "luck shot" ever was with a Ruger Single six. A buddy and I were plinking at an old paint can with it and on one shot he popped the lid off. he went downrange and set it on top of the can with top facing me. I told him to turn it sideways to "make it a challenge". I drilled the skinny edge of that paint can lid on a quickdraw first shot with a that single action .22lr from about 20ft.... Chances of me repeating that shot? 1 in a trillion.. I'm on my 9,386,571st try at doing it again with no luck :-)

Sambo82
May 17, 2013, 01:58 PM
One time as a kid my friend and throwing milk jugs up in the air and shooting them. I was done and wanted to go inside, put the BB gun up on my shoulder and started to walk off. He just for giggles threw it up in the air one last time to see if I could hit it with the gun rested backwards on my shoulder. I shot when it "felt" right and lo and behold I hit it. After that he thought I was Carlos Hathcock or something.

clamman
May 17, 2013, 01:58 PM
I shot a seven point buck, off my front porch right between the eyes with one shot from my Remington 510 using Remington Cyclone 22 ammo.

My Dad shot a 235 11 point buck at 125 yards with a JC Higgins 12 gauge pump with a foster slug. He said he raised the barrel over his back and prayed. Drug the thing home across the field with his Volkswagen beetle. I was in Australia courtesy of the USMC so he asked my neighbor to help him string it up. When my Dad let go of the rope the deer went down and my neighbor went up!

Cee Zee
May 17, 2013, 02:25 PM
The thing is I could probably have named two dozen shots that would seem like flukes or luck. The reason I have so many is because I have shot a LOT in my lifetime and the odds start to run in your favor eventually. But there's also practice, practice and more practice. You up your odds of making a great shot by learning to shoot right in the first place. Not many first time shooters will have that "beginner's luck" type shot where they shoot a flea off the back of a cat at 200 yards with a sling shot. Heck I even practiced up enough throwing drum sticks at mice running across our living room until I got where I could nail them almost every time. Humans can learn skills that most people just don't think are possible because they just haven't tried it. I even got to where I could nail a running mouse by bouncing a drum stick off the hard wood floor and then under a chair where I pinned the mouse to baseboard and it was DRT. I caught heck when dad noticed how much damage I had done to the baseboard thowing those sticks to many times but I learned to kill mice with them. I think most kids can learn to do things like that. It's hidden in our DNA to be able to throw things to kill. We just don't let it out because we don't run around practicing like the Indian kids did with their bows and arrows when European people first came to this country. They were using extremely primitive stuff but it worked. And I certainly don't think I'm special or alone in having this ability. I know others can do such things in fact. I've seen so many wild talents in my life I know that pretty much everyone is capable of doing things they just don't know they can do. Like tossing up a pop can and shooting it 6 times in the air with a .22 (catch it at the apex and knock it higher in the air and shoot it at the apex again). I did that but my neighbor could do 8 almost every time. I go to 5 or 6 a very few times but I didn't practice every day like my neighbor did. I was shooting carpenter bees out of the air just last week and I was shooting from the hip with a .22 rifle with a scope on it. Who would have thought that was possible? I didn't. But it is. I knocked down at least 5 of them out of about 25 shots.

People can do things they don't know they can do. I had a really good shooter tell me the biggest obstacle in people being great shooters was getting past thinking they can't do certain things. That guy has several world records to his name. Just don't talk yourself out of being able to do stuff and you'll be surprised what you can do IMO. I've seen lots and lots of threads like this with lots and lots of people claiming fantastic shots. And I believe 99% of the people saying they did those things. Just think about it. Our caveman ancestors (or more correctly our pre-bronze age ancestors - we don't have to guess we just have to look at people like the Indians) relied on being able to kill things with crude tools in order to survive. It's not that hard to kill a rabbit with a rock if you know how to throw rocks well. That's just human nature. We all have talents that are left buried in our heads until the bad times really hit. Think about Sgt. York for example. Or Carlos Hathcock. Or that Australian soldier from Delta Company. Or Rob Furlong. Or Craig Harrison. Or Kreg Slack.

zonzin
May 17, 2013, 03:59 PM
At the range, hitting a clay at 600M using my 6.8SPC AR. That was a heck of a hold over.

Hunting, dropping 2 deer in quick succession as they were running up hill away from me at about 75 yards. Neck shot.

Keb
May 17, 2013, 04:04 PM
This is already on the net.

I was benched 22LR Prairie Dog shooting on a grass airport. The owner and my shooting buddy were watching.

I had already taken some real long dust kick-ups at a lone dog at the end of the runway.

About 15 minutes later he popped up standing tall.

I put the dog on the vertical hair and the bottom curve of the 12x scope.

He flipped upside down with legs kicking.

I went up there with the Nikon Laser, and the bench and Subaru measured 346 Yards. I computed a 19 foot high trajectory.

lpsharp88
May 17, 2013, 04:10 PM
Nothing too special, but the first time I hit a 300m target in basic. Never fired a weapon prior to enlisting, and went from never fired a shot, to hitting 300m targets with irons in a couple of range days

.455_Hunter
May 17, 2013, 04:22 PM
NW Iowa at a Memorial Day Old West Shoot using an original 1881 Trapdoor with 500 gr LRN / 65 gr FFg service loads. Shooting at the 1000 yard steel buffalo silhouette, my first round broke the weld connecting one of the support chains to the buffalo, causing the silhouette to "flop" in a most realistic fashion.

Jim, West PA
May 17, 2013, 05:21 PM
9 er 10 years old,Ben Pearson 15# stick bow with a hardware store bot .79 cent
'target' arrow. Chipmunk running up a tree at about 25 yards away. The tree was about 4"s' thick.Took a snap shot and put the arrow thru his neck 'pinning' him to the tree. He actualy spun around on that arrow by the neck fer a minute or three 'till he died.
Pure luck, Back then i couldn't hit the field the barn was in with an arrow.
I actualy did grow up to become that good with a bow as an adult tho.

'spose my best shot with a gun was actualy 5 shots.
I shot a 5 round .226 100 yard group with my handbuilt .220 Swift.

JerryC
May 17, 2013, 05:31 PM
Had a house in NC with 16 acres. A few years ago we had something killing our ducks at the pond about 200 yards from the house. It was around midnight and I heard neighbors dogs barking. Grabbed my 10/22 ruger and spotlight and went outside. Saw something going across our pasture near pond. Had spotlight in one hand and rifle in other, turned on light and saw fox moving across pasture. Put rifle on top of light and fired 1 shot. Nailed the fox in the heart.

doc2rn
May 17, 2013, 05:38 PM
I dont discuss those, but thanks for sharing.

OptimusPrime
May 17, 2013, 07:01 PM
These stories are fantastic, keep 'em coming.
I love the differing versions we all hold dear; whether it's a tank round or a snowball.

tnxdshooter
May 17, 2013, 07:37 PM
These stories are fantastic, keep 'em coming.
I love the differing versions we all hold dear; whether it's a tank round or a snowball.

Drew and fired one handed aiming for the head and shot the b27 target right in the eyeball at 25 yards with a .40 cal Springfield XD. Had one witness.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

armedwalleye
May 17, 2013, 07:56 PM
55 yd knockdown on a standing sandhill crane with a 9mm ruger SR9c, then hit him again when he attempted to get airborne.

175 yards offhand on a 10 pointer with a deer rifle. Not much compared to some, but that's a LONG shot in northern MN.

jstein650
May 17, 2013, 07:57 PM
Back when going to Ferris State (now) University, my friend, Luther and I were hunting... for whatever. A big ole' rabbit shot out about 20 yds in front of us.. flat out running... I shot from the hip with an old 12ga sxs, and just rolled him! He gave me the then popular 'I'm not worthy! bow...' funniest thing I've ever experienced hunting! Laugh about it to this day! :D

JudgeHolden10
May 17, 2013, 08:02 PM
Beer can at 65 yards with a .38 from a 3" SP101. It took me five shots to get the elevation right, since it was a few feet up a small hill. Anyway, I beat my best friend, and that made it even better.

jstein650
May 17, 2013, 08:12 PM
thumbs up ^. Thanks.

Certaindeaf
May 17, 2013, 08:24 PM
55 yd knockdown on a standing sandhill crane with a 9mm ruger SR9c, then hit him again when he attempted to get airborne..
Are those kinda like a long legged bald eagle?

vaeevictiss
May 17, 2013, 08:42 PM
This is a good one haha. Back when i was in high school me and my buddy went to play some paintball against each other in the woods by his house. This was before we really got into it and all we had were some cheap pump guns.

Well i was going through the woods looking for him and had no idea where he was. For whatever damn reason i just fired a ball in the air and a few seconds later i hear... "aww you son of a bitch". I see him walking up a hill about 60 or 70 yards away with a paint splotch on his shoulder lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jon_in_wv
May 17, 2013, 08:53 PM
A few months ago I was on the range and before I packed up I decided to take a few shots with my Bodyguard 380. Another guy was already shooting so instead of going downrange I decided to just shoot at some pieces of broken clay pigeon that were on the berm behind the 25 yard target. I was about three positions down and shooting behind the target so it was about 30 yards. The pieced were about 2 inches across and I hit 9 out of ten standing offhand. The guy watching at the end of the benches commented, "Wow, that was amazing shooting!" I just replied, "Yeah, I don't even believe that myself. Of course you never have it on video when you shoot like that and I don't think I could do that again in my lifetime." Oh well. At least I know if I miss its me not the gun.

ridgerunner1965
May 17, 2013, 09:42 PM
i once shot a crow standing in the field out the living room window of my trailer house that i lived in at that time. 150 yrds with a iron sighted ruger 10/22 with cheap ammo.1 shot one kill.i was pretty proud of that.no dang witnesses tho.

my dad came an got me one day cuz a coyote was bothering sum calves.he couldnt get close enuf to it with his 30-30.and i had the only scope sighted rifle on the place.we drove up and the yote took off at high speed.i had to wait a bit till he cleared into a good shooting lane prob 275 yrds away.popped one shot with my model 7 rem 243 and he rolled. course dad couldnt see that far and he called <removed>.to him nobody cud make that shot.we drove over there and sure enuf there was a dead half mangy yote.i just acted like i did that stuff all the time.it was hilarious.

my deceased gpa years ago gave me a win hi wall in 32-40. it had been in his family since around 1900.he said one year he was out hunting with the hired hand, a chezk feller. and a flock of geese flew over.the hand aimed at the first goose in the v and the last goose on the left side folded up and fell dead.they ate good that nite.he had lots of storys about that gun. i still have it.

Yo Mama
May 17, 2013, 10:05 PM
Second year I took my Remington 700 in 30-06 to the range to sight in for deer season.

Side note, the rifle came with a scope, and the year before it drove me nuts because the aluminum rings were to weak to hold the scope. Sportsmans Warehouse did me a solid and gave me free Buris steel rings and fixed the issue, but I didn't get much range time in after that.

Took it out the next year. I went to the range to sight it in. It was hot, and I didn't want to stay long. Put my bullseye target out 150 yards.
I'll never forget it, guy next to me is chatting and asking what I'm doing. I told him if I hit the bullseye on my first shot I'm leaving. I did, I couldn't believe it and the look on that guys face was priceless. Put the rifle down, and sat back to relax until the lanes were cleared to pick up targets.

Clinton
May 17, 2013, 10:13 PM
Hit the neighbors roof at 400 yards with a potato gun!

Clinton
www.facebook.com/illinoisrighttocarry

blindhari
May 17, 2013, 10:28 PM
not appropriate

gym
May 17, 2013, 10:29 PM
Mine was with a 10/22 also, with the iron sights. Shot a quarter out of a tree branch at a distance where it was barely visible, when I was in my early 20's.I don't know the distance, as it was some 40 yrs ago, but I never expected to hit it, let alone on the first shot.

Dean1818
May 17, 2013, 10:53 PM
I had a one shot group of less than an inch at 50 yards

:eek:

Lex Luthier
May 17, 2013, 11:39 PM
@Cee Zee. Thank you. We are born hunters.

WardenWolf
May 18, 2013, 12:31 AM
Shot a mockingbird off my chimney with a Red Ryder BB gun. Was around 30 feet away, could only see the head, and had to arc the shot in. Darn thing was squawking every morning up there and echoing through the whole house. The bird survived and flew off, but never came back.

slumlord44
May 18, 2013, 01:58 AM
A5 12 guage Browning, full choke. Cheap Remington deer slug. Factory bead sight. Took out a coyote at 110 paces offhand. Hit him in the bottom of his neck. Droped like a rock. Could never do that again in a million years.

TreeDoc
May 18, 2013, 10:40 PM
Snap shot on a pheasant in Kansas. First pheasant hunt with my dad and his buddies. Honestly didn't know if it was a hen or a rooster, luckily it was a rooster. It happened at the end of the hunt, in front of the land owner and the whole crew. I was 14. My dad acted like it was no big deal, others were impressed. Dad still tells that story when we all get together.
The other shot was at a snapper turtle, I'd guess 75 yards. Shot with an old 30-30. Exploded with turtle parts flying in all directions, my brother said it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. Him being 12, he probably hadn,t seen much yet. On a sad note, went by that old pond just today, developers have drained and leveled it. Building a sub division on my youthful stomping ground.

rcmodel
May 18, 2013, 10:47 PM
I just remembered another one.

How about getting a limit of 8 quail on the wing with a single-shot 12 ga, and three shots??

Course, the crazy Irish Setter bird-dog I had jumped 5' in the air and caught 5 of them at the covey breaks before I could get a shot off without shooting her.

O.K. then, SO that doesn't count then??

rc

coolluke01
May 18, 2013, 11:01 PM
My best shot is hitting a bowling pin at 100 yards with my Glock 34. I shot it on my first try ever, standing two handed. I actually had the camera rolling too! I wasn't in frame the first time, so I did it again on the 2nd shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIQtqIEX1W4&feature=share&list=UUBK7LEa6jcmFKuDfeMlEgOA

armedwalleye
May 18, 2013, 11:06 PM
Certaindeaf,
More like loon, actually.

In reality, the breasts ARE pretty tasty in you slice them thin, flour them and fry 'em fast in butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armedwalleye
55 yd knockdown on a standing sandhill crane with a 9mm ruger SR9c, then hit him again when he attempted to get airborne..

Kayaker 1960
May 18, 2013, 11:21 PM
Tuning up my deer rifle before deer season at the range. I had shot 3 or four pretty nice groups @ 100 yards. All of these were shot at orange, stick on dots, the center bullseye was untouched The guy next to me said "pretty good but lets see ya do it standing up. I stood up and fired, it took me a minute to find the hole because it was perfectly centered in the X. Generally I'm lucky to get 8" groups when standing. I'm sure I could never do that again.
Hunting in Utah, a buck was running right to left at 125 yards in the trees. There was a clearing about 10 feet wide that he had to pass through. I just nicked his heart, after being hit he crashed down the hill, on 2" of snow toward me. There was a lot of blood on the snow, it was shooting out as if coming from a hose. He piled into a bush and died about 20 feet away from where I fired the shot.

flylo
May 18, 2013, 11:53 PM
Working at the cabin in the UP my hunting partner & a friend he brought were shooting my S&W 22 off the deck at a snuff can lid screwed to a tree aprox 30 yards away. They must have missed 200 times & laid the gun on the rail. I walked by picked it up & hit the screw 1st shot, the lid fell off. I laid the gun down & went back to work like I did it all the time. I could not do that in a million more tries. LOL!

jmace57
May 19, 2013, 12:07 AM
The very first time I ever shot my Colt 1911, was at a prairie dog about 75 yards away. Hit it dead center. Never shot it worth a darn ever again!

thump_rrr
May 19, 2013, 06:07 AM
Last year I was at our local 200y outdoor range.
I was playing around with an AR and an older gentleman set up on the bench next to me with a Sako TRG 22.
I complement him on his nice rifle and he then goes on to tell me how accurate his rifle is etc.
He spends he next 30 minutes firing a single shot at a time and patching between each shot. I ask him if he's breaking in the rifle and he says no, he always patches between shots for greater accuracy.

Not wanting to throw any more brass at him I pack up the AR and bring out the Savage 10BA.
I wait for a cease fire and place a new target on the stand.
I ended up placing the first shot directly on the X.
I made a joke about having the Savage shooting to perfection and not needing to shoot it any more for the day.
He turns to me in a snide way and says you just got lucky.
I bet you couldn't do that again if you tried.
I didn't say another word and loaded another round in the rifle.
I put the next shot right through the first shot.
I then shot 3 5 shot groups between .250 and .430 MOA .

Readyrod
May 19, 2013, 09:40 AM
I was treeplanting way up north and the tree quality checker took a couple of us to a clearing to try out his Ruger 44mag. (illegal for him to carry in Canadia but up North they understand about that kind of stuff) The checker set up a post a few yards away and when I said it was an easy target he put a beer can on top. My boss said no way I could hit it and he bet a case of beer. I hit it and he was pissed. So he pointed at a branch about 20 yards away and said double or nothing. The branch was about 2 inches in diameter. So unfortunately I hit it. Darn that Ruger was accurate. I was hoping I would miss, tho I couldn't do it on purpose. I was in the doghouse for the rest of the contract. Felt good tho.

flylo
May 19, 2013, 11:27 AM
Bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag when I turned 21 many years ago. Anyway took it out to try it & saw a rabbit about 50 yds away & shot it. All that was left was the ears & a bit of fur. Love those guns!

wyohome
May 19, 2013, 12:24 PM
I was Blacktail Deer hunting with my friend and future BIL in Washington State. I spied a Ruffed Grouse sitting on a branch about 10 feet in the air and around 35 feet away. My friend did not see it but was watching. I cocked the Model 64, took a bead with the peep sight, and started to pull the trigger. Another grouse jumped up and flew into the line of fire. THAT one my friend DID see and was amazed that I took his head off in flight. I learned that day the value of a poker face.

btg3
May 19, 2013, 04:26 PM
Setting up for an afternoon dove shoot, Dad had placed me center-field in a patch of uncut hay and told me to sit on the ground. I was age 14 and wasn't too sure about this as I'd always sat on a stool and the ground wasn't quite as comfortable. But when the birds started flying, I forgot all about that as the other shooters which were dotted around the perimeter of the field along the tree/fence lines served to funnel the birds mid-field right over my patch of grass. I couldn't stay reloaded well enough to keep up with all the birds. After one reload, I looked up and saw a bird headed straight for me. Hurriedly, I got the gun up and from my seated position shot once and missed with the bird ahead of me -- still swinging with the bird now straight above me, I took a second shot and missed again, this time the recoil rolled me flat on my back for the third shot and the bird folded. So, never-mind the first two shots... I took a dove while laying flat on my back in the middle of the field.

RJTravel
May 19, 2013, 05:26 PM
btg,
Did you ever regain the use of your shoulder after your lengthy stay in the hospital?

kvtcomdo
May 19, 2013, 05:52 PM
Basic Training.

M16

Growing up in Minnesota deer hunting was usually < 100 yards so not many long range shots.

On a mountain top @ Ft Leonardwood Mo.

Told to shoot the head and shoulders silouette @ 400 meters, down hill.

A little Kentucky windage and 19 y/o eyes we hit the first time everytime to ultimately qualify expert.

Mike Sr.
May 19, 2013, 06:07 PM
Back in the early 1960 I was walking along a stream bed carrying a H&R breaktop .22. about 70 yard's out and up at the top of a CottonWood tree was a big 'black'bird. Raised the .22 one handed, squeezed off the shot................................and saw the Black bird tumble to the earth.

btg3
May 19, 2013, 06:20 PM
Did you ever regain the use of your shoulder after your lengthy stay in the hospital?
LOL - It was an ideal situation with some lightly trampled hay, a soft shooting 20ga gas gun, our own reloads... not even a bruise! Picked up the bird, went back to the hay stand, reloaded, and kept on keepin' on.

Matno
May 19, 2013, 06:29 PM
Lots of memorable shots...

Hit a grouse in the head at about 15 yards with my Jennings J22 pocket pistol (1" barrel).

When we lived in south Texas, my dad was sighting his 30-06 in at 150 yards when a road runner ran full speed across the range right behind his target. He followed it, and about 10 feet later it disappeared in a puff of feathers.

In high school, went jackrabbit hunting in Wyoming. Only had my Sig p226. Shot 8 rabbits, all between 25 & 40 yards away, all running. Other guys with me got 1 each. They both fired about 400 rounds, I fired 24. Best day of shooting I ever had.

But the best SHOT I ever made had to be the time I told my buddy to shoot an arrow into the air and I would hit it with my wrist rocket (sling shot). I didn't actually think I could do it, but was being cocky. He was dumbfounded when the arrow changed course with a loud "whack" about 40 feet in the air!

Southside830
May 19, 2013, 06:57 PM
The first shot out of my new XDm 9mm comp. last week. 12 yards away dead bulls eye. That's the way to start with a brand new firearm !!

Certaindeaf
May 19, 2013, 07:12 PM
Certaindeaf,
More like loon, actually.

In reality, the breasts ARE pretty tasty in you slice them thin, flour them and fry 'em fast in butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armedwalleye

I hear you. I'm not a game warden but the last thing I'd put on the internet is that I'd blasted a sandhill crane unless it was pecking the eyes out of my firstborn.

RBid
May 19, 2013, 07:56 PM
I was at the range with my buddy, shooting at swat silhouettes from 50 feet. I made a crack about Hollywood, and said I was going to put one right between the eyes of the target. First shot was right smack in the center, level with the eyes. That is probably the best shot I'll ever make in my life.

Piratesailor
May 19, 2013, 08:18 PM
Hook shot over Darryl Dawkins.

dprice3844444
May 19, 2013, 08:24 PM
What's the best shot you ever made
crown royal and 7up

rswartsell
May 19, 2013, 08:25 PM
My son Nikolas. First try.

armedwalleye
May 19, 2013, 09:10 PM
I hear you. I'm not a game warden but the last thing I'd put on the internet is that I'd blasted a sandhill crane unless it was pecking the eyes out of my firstborn.
They have a legal hunt for them in MN and in North Dakota.

Also in Saskatchewan.

wyohome
May 19, 2013, 09:12 PM
^and Wyoming

non2os13
May 19, 2013, 10:41 PM
Squirrel hunting behind my house. Saw a squirrel in a tree, but lost him in the sun. Decided to shoot into the next tree over to see if i could scare it into moving. Next thing i see is another squirrel falling out of the tree i just shot into. Accidental neck shot.

rpchevy02
May 20, 2013, 09:34 AM
Not a best shot,but a most lucky shot,downed a flushing quail with a Winchester 22 auto.

Swichblade
May 20, 2013, 11:14 PM
My best luck shot was when I fired my brother's mosin nagant at 400 yards. The bullet hit the ground short of the target but ricocheted and still hit the gong. We were the only people on that range so it must have been my bullet that hit. As for shots that I actually tried to make, I shot two spent shotgun shells at 11 yards with my Walther P1. Another time I hit a 2x2" metal square at 40 yards with a nagant revolver.

Oklacoyotekiller
May 21, 2013, 03:03 PM
Coyote at 650 yrds. Ruger #1 22-250. Went in between shoulder blades, out through lower chest.

herkyguy
May 21, 2013, 03:14 PM
playing with my GP100 at 50 yards at a shooting club. from a bench, but not in a rest, i shot the first round a tad high of bullseye. second shot was an inch or so right of the first shot. at that point, the range safety officer, who'd been watching the line with binoculars, came over and stood behind me without saying a word. my third shot went about 12 inches right and low.

he walked away, knowing it had all been a fluke.

then there are the handful of times i've hit a 6" steel plate at 600 yards with my Remington 700 in .308.

then there is the doe i dropped in her tracks last fall with my 30-06. it's always a good shot when you don't have to do any tracking.

last one would have to be out in the sticks with my buddies. i had my 870 with me in one hand when one of them chucked an old dirt-filled beer can up and out in front of us. i swung the shotgun up and caught it just as it started to come back down and sent it flying off into the woods. on that one i was able to keep my poker face and pretend like it was nothing.

xxjumbojimboxx
May 21, 2013, 03:18 PM
First shot bet that I couldn't do it at 50 yds with a PSA M4 1:7 and Vortex pst 1-4x24...wolf wpa 62. hp...ammohttp://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u431/saenzrich/AmericanSpirit1shotkill.jpg
hey hey eagle peak!

xxjumbojimboxx
May 21, 2013, 03:29 PM
When i was somewhere around 12 I had a paintball gun I'd gotten a few months prior at christmas time. It was an "Eagle Talon" Ill never forget it. It was pump action and single shot. A really horrible paintball gun by toda... er... even the standards then. Either way my cousin and I were walking through the woods and i noticed a chipmunk running quickly up a tree about 20 yrds a way. I didnt even aim. I threw that gun up from my hip pulled the trigger and the chipmunk did ariel cartwheels as it flew out of the three. HILARIOUS. no one could believe i hit it. I couldnt beleive i hit it... Believe it or not i think the paintball gun actually killed it... The fall wasnt from anymore then 20 feet or so, that could have done it too.

taliv
May 21, 2013, 05:11 PM
dunno about the best, but i hit a 4" circle dead in the center at 1008 yards last Friday on the first try. my spotter gave me a fantastic .3 wind call. ping

Akita1
May 21, 2013, 08:10 PM
A running deer with my .243 at about 125 yards. Hit him still and he stood there for three or four seconds looking down at the bullet hole, then thought better and took off but for some reason into the food plot instead of the woods. Hit him 2" from the first shot (I'm sure much luck was involved) but it was a proud day when we hung him up to gut and the holes were so close together.

Akita1
May 21, 2013, 08:12 PM
dunno about the best, but i hit a 4" circle dead in the center at 1008 yards last Friday on the first try. my spotter gave me a fantastic .3 wind call. ping
Was that .308 taliv? Whatever the caliber, I'd call that pretty "best".

allaroundhunter
May 21, 2013, 08:37 PM
Over Christmas break I was shooting game my .308 to get some data at longer ranges when a pack of wild dogs started coming towards me. My dog met them about 30 yards in front of them and started chasing them off, but the alpha of the pack decided to turn and fight when they were a good distance away from me. Before it and my dog had a chance to get into a tussle I took a shot and dropped the feral dog in his tracks. Measured distance? 563 yards. Not bad for having to make a windage call, determine my hold, and take a shot under 6 seconds.

ol' scratch
May 21, 2013, 08:43 PM
Gun? SP10 Remington. Shot? One hundred yards on a red head hen in flight and I splashed her. I love my 10 gauge. There have been other really good shots, but this is the one I am most proud of. It is the shot that impressed my dad. Another good day. I took my match rifle out (AR 15 I built, NM with irons) and tested some loads. A guy in the next lane over looked over at me and said, "Dude, are you looking at what you are doing down range?" Embarrassed, I asked if I was hitting his target (windage concern). He said, "No man. I have been watching through the scope and you are lining them up on top of each other!"

allaroundhunter
May 21, 2013, 09:33 PM
Was that .308 taliv? Whatever the caliber, I'd call that pretty "best".

I would expect that he was shooting a 6 or 6.5mm round rather than a .308 Win, but I could be wrong.

Sniper66
May 21, 2013, 10:42 PM
Best rifle shot: a prairie dog at 336 yards (verified with a range finder) with my Remington 700 .223 on a breezy day; aimed a foot high and a foot left.
Best shotgun: prairie chickens are hard to find and hard to hit. A group came from behind me and swooped down in front of me. As they were going away, I got 2 in one shot, which is also the daily bag limit.

kbbailey
May 21, 2013, 11:27 PM
One of my favorite shots of all time....
My friend and his sister's boyfriend, and I was doing some fishing. A small songbird landed on a thistle about 20yds away. I took careful aim with my Single-Six but just as I was ready to fire, the bird flittered to another thistle. Again, I took careful aim, and the bird fluttered again.....this time I just flipped the gunbarrel in the direction the bird went and fired. It was a lucky shot, but I killed that bird on the wing with my .22 revolver. My friend and his sisters boyfriend witnessed it.
The guy married my friend's sister, and later became our county sheriff. He has served our county as sheriff for 20yrs. To this day, he still believes I am an awesome handgun shooter. lol

I am pretty proud of the 100x100 that I broke at "The Grand" during the Champion of Champions event.

fallout mike
May 22, 2013, 12:14 PM
Deer hunting with a uncle several years ago, we were about to walk out of the woods. We could hear and barely see a deer running full speed through fairly thick woods. It had to jump a fence and I had about a 2 foot window where the fence was about 100 yards away. I aimed there looking through the scope waiting on the deer. I hit it in midair jumping over it with my Browning A-bolt .270. It landed head first and rolled head over heels a few times. DRT!! I said "that's how you do it", without cracking a smile. He still talks about that shot.

essayons21
May 22, 2013, 01:21 PM
4" EFP at about 200 yards with a M2 iron sights. Boom

BigDaddyNEB
May 22, 2013, 02:16 PM
Took out an entire 4th I.D. platoon at Ft. Carson in summer 1992 with a M47 Dragon, with MILES gear, the Range S.O. disqualified me for violating the Geneva Convention. The 2 star General at the After Action Review gave me an Atta-boy!

Certaindeaf
May 22, 2013, 02:32 PM
Took out an entire 4th I.D. platoon at Ft. Carson in summer 1992 with a M47 Dragon, with MILES gear, the Range S.O. disqualified me for violating the Geneva Convention. The 2 star General at the After Action Review gave me an Atta-boy!
That's easy to do through chicken-wired glass or cyclone fencing.. with one shot out of an AR.

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
May 22, 2013, 09:37 PM
A group of shots actually. Was at a local shooting pit when a guy was trying to ping a steel plate the size of note book paper on the hill side 65yards out. He kept missing so goofing around I launched a 230grain Tula .45acp out if my Taurus 1911 and pinged it hard.

The fellow bet me $20 I couldn't do it again. He handed over the $20 after I put another 7 rounds on it emptying the magazine.

That or shooting golf balls out of the air hand tossing them and hitting the, with my sr22. But I do this a lot.

kendak
May 22, 2013, 10:33 PM
985yrd kill on a PD in north Texas ...700 Rem. I built in 6MM Ackley with a 70gr. BT 6.5X20 Leupold...clear ,light wind, temp. 77...this rifle will shot 10 shot 3 1/2grps. at 1000yrds. all day long IF I do my job..take care

pyro073
May 23, 2013, 05:47 PM
I was up in the hills east of town doing some plinking and shooting clays with a buddy. As I am re-loading my shotgun I see movement on the other side of the little valley we were in. We checked it out thru the binos and it was a coyote. I grab my Mosin M44 (iron sights) out of the truck drop one round in, take aim a little high and a little ahead of it and take the pot shot just for the heck of it. My buddy that was watching it thru the binoculars sees dust kick up behind it right as the 'yote buckles and rolls down the hill.

We later used a range finder to see how far of a shot it was. The reading on it ended up being about 560 yards.

TCB in TN
May 24, 2013, 01:31 AM
Back in my early.20s two of my friends were taking turns trying to center quarters at 100 yards. They were using a scoped marlin 22 mag off bags from a truck hood. Both had hit the edges and bent quarters but after about 10 SHOTS each no holes. I picked up my old rem pump 22 no scope off hand, popped of one quick shot. The quarter went flying. I put down my rifle walked down range picked up my quarter and came back. Dead center shot. Both my buddies said things about me I can't repeat on here, then packed up and quit.:D Of course I had both the bragging rights and my keep sake.

My oldest son has that quarter, and he spent a whole afternoon when he was 17 till he made one to match. :evil:

Collects
May 24, 2013, 08:10 PM
This is a fun thread. Keep 'em coming!

I neck-shot a running grouse, neck bobbing back and forth rapidly, using a compact Glock 9 mm at around 60' range.

I killed a caribou with a 375 yard offhand show using a Ruger 7 mm magnum.

My buddy took out a Beeman scoped pellet gun, put one right through the X on the target in his basement, and handed the pellet gun to me. I put my pellet right through his hole in the X, then declined to take another shot.

I put 6 of 8 rounds into an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper at 53 yards, using an 8-shot S&W Model 327 snubbie .357 magnum revolver once.

I wonder if I could ever repeat those shots.

Famed NYC gunfighter, Jim Cirillo wrote about head-shooting an armed robber who was holding a hostage at gunpoint in front of the robber, with only about 4" of the bad guy visible, the rest being shielded by the human hostage shield. Cirillo head-shot the bad guy, ending the showdown and saving the hostage's life and his own life. He set up shooting courses later on designed to replicate the conditions of that shot, and was never again able to make the same recreated shot.

Isaac's Grandpa
May 24, 2013, 09:10 PM
I took the head off a striped gopher at 60 yards with my .54 muzzleloader. I found everything from the shoulders down, minus the guts.

Pure, blind luck beyond any doubt.

skiking
May 25, 2013, 06:47 PM
My best shot was actually 10 consecutive shots when I was shooting 3 pos smallbore in high school. I shot a 100-10x offhand during a match.

Single best shot was a 300 yd snap shot at a running coyote with my .300 WM. My cousin and I couldn't stop laughing cause we couldn't believe I hit it.

Dframe
May 25, 2013, 07:41 PM
I once shot 5 out of 6, 4 inch steel plates at 50 Yards with my Detective Special, in front of about 5 stunned witnesses. The look on their faces was priceless!
I was in the zone that day, and don't know I could ever do it again, but DAMN that was fun!

Fleetman
May 25, 2013, 07:49 PM
My "best" shot although not planned was when I was shooting skeet (age 14) and was at Station 8, low house.....when I called for the target, got it and apparently the field to the right of ours had just thrown doubles and got both of them too.....the high house target had to be at least 80 yards when hit....probably a VERY lucky pellet or two!

Miss Stana
May 25, 2013, 09:10 PM
We were on our annual Easter Egg hunt. We set the eggs on rocks and hunt them from the other side of the wash. I was trying to shoot the eggs with a S & W .22 pistol and not doing so good. Then a lizard ran across the rocks we had the eggs on. I got him the first shot.

mnrivrat
May 26, 2013, 12:35 AM
Sept 32nd 1966 Dropped a high flying snow goose with the Remington Model 10 . He was so high up when he folded he landed on the moon. Darn dog took off to retrieve it, and still isn't back yet.

Delford
May 26, 2013, 12:54 AM
Sounds like most posters (not all) were as lucky as they were good. That was me shooting four positions at different elevations and distances with a friend at the farm. I put 2 into the same mudhole on the creek bank down right at about 15 feet, hit the second target at about 30 feet up middle, missed the tree root up the hill at 20 yards and mid left and then broke the stick on the branch at 15-20 feet down hard left. All this in about 15 seconds with my P345. Good thing the 230 gr hardball is big. I doubt I could do that now, a year later, as my eyes are changing as this baby boomer ages. The left is actually better but I'm having to find my point of aim again with my right eye. With practice I'll get there :)

MBaneACP
May 26, 2013, 10:20 PM
I was in high school, it was summer and all my high school buddies, plus a passel of neighbors and little kids were having a BBQ in my backyard in Memphis. Someone had given my father a length of surgical tubing, and he'd spent the weekend carving out a classic "Y" shaped slingshot, wgt a little leather cup and everything.

So my dad's giving all the little kids a "zen of slingshot" talk while he absentmindedly picks up a green plum, slips it into the little slingshot and looking at a robin on a wire at the top of a telephone pole, I swear 20 yards away, lets the plum fly. I'm watching the plum — and you all know what's coming — thinking no way, Jose. The shot is perfect and the robin detonates, feathers everywhere, little children running around screaming that the bad man hit the birdie, neighborhood mothers, not to mention my Mom, yelling at my father, who looks shocked until he looks over at me rolling on the ground laughing. Then with all those people yelling at him, he grinned, because it was a damn fine shot.

You know, the thing between fathers and sons is complicated. Somehow he and I jst never "clicked." He'd fought in the Pacific, been a football star, married the head cheerleader, was a hunter and a shade tree gunsmith, but not really a shooter...I think never could figure out what to do with his nerdy, bespectacled smart-ass son who quoted Jeff Cooper and was obsessed with pistols.

After Dad died I went through his effects looking for the old Flat-top Ruger .357 that he'd use to teach me to shoot, but it was long, long gone. Later that year I found a beat-up Flat-top at the LGS, bought it cheap and on a whim sent it to Dave Clements at Clements Custom Guns with the instructions to "make it good again." I took that gun to a class at GUNSITE, and standing on the 15 yard line with 125-grain Hornady JHPs I put 5 shots, rapid fire, all touching into the center mass"X."

They were damn fine shots.

Happy Memorial Day, Dad. Thank you for your service.

Michael B

RonniiRaygun
August 17, 2013, 05:01 PM
100 yard shot with my SIG 1911-22 at sporting clays. We had a range setup for pistols and at 90 degrees we had a 100 yard range setup with clays. My buddy grabbed my sig and sent 10 shots down range and was able to dance around the target. I said if you can dance around it like that I can hit it. I hit that one and the one next it.
Since I hit it with my 22 I tried an XDM .40 but couldn't do it. I then tried my XMD 9 5.5 target match and hit the next three clays. It took all 16 rounds though.

janedoedad
August 17, 2013, 10:20 PM
My very first bullseye with a M-14 on the 600 yard line at Camp Pendleton. Note: I am not a Marine.

r1derbike
August 18, 2013, 12:40 AM
75 yard shot with a .22 Marlin repeater, open sites, golf ball on a T, dead center. Prone position. First shot.

30 years ago.

Now, I can't even see open sites, let alone a golf ball at 75 yards.

Still have that ball somewhere, and I had a witness as it was with his rifle, first time I shot it. I asked him before the shot, what distance sight-in, and guessed holdover. He couldn't believe it. Me neither. Thought I just grazed it. Nope, the money shot.

The guy was a stealth (how may I say this?) stalker in 'nam.

double bogey
August 18, 2013, 01:34 PM
In the mid 60's, I was about 10. One of those wire $.10 sling shots from the dime store and a bb, a sparrow at 30 yds. Thirty yrs later, a wrist rocket with 00 buckshot for ammo, and a mockingbird off of a friends tv antenna at about 30 yds. I need to get another slingshot.
When I bought a mk1 ruger I used to plink a brick of ammo a couple of times a month on my parents farm. Hitting "hard shots" seemed to be easy. Once got shooting at a 5 gallon metal bucket a long way off I got to where I could hit it every shot. Walked the bullets in, 6' high, and 6' right for an aimpoint. BIL ,shot at it all day with a rifle and never did hit it. This was over a pond so we never could get an accurate distance measurement. Lord I wish I had somewhere to plink again and .22's were $8.00 a brick.

1-1 Banger
August 18, 2013, 03:14 PM
1280m first round hit when we first got our XM2010s. Just an iron maiden but it made me squee a little. Caliber is 300 Win Mag. The funniest/best shot I ever saw was when I was about 10 or 11. My step dad had picked me up from school and as we were almost to the house, he sees around 6 turkey buzzards sitting on our hay bales about 50 yards off. "Hey son, get into the glovebox and give it here" I knew what he meant and handed him his Taurus PT-92. He rolls down the window, braces on the door, and squeezes off 15 shots about as fast as he can accurately, which was pretty damn fast. Hit all but one at least twice, with the first two rounds hitting low and drilling the haybale. I swear the man can shoot a pistol in the same league as Wild Bill, it's unreal.

bubba15301
August 18, 2013, 07:48 PM
the next one:)

dagger dog
August 19, 2013, 06:58 PM
Killed 5 grey squirrels with 4 consecutive shots, out of the same tree using a double barrel !

Snuck in to a favorite spot late in the evening ,there were so many squirrels in that big shag bark hickory tree I thought it was starting to rain 'cause there were so many cuttings falling through the leaves.

It looked like a squirrel blizzard when I popped the first one, hair flew every where, got the second with the mod barrel with a crossing shot ,hit the lever pulled the empties, slid in two more pulled the left trigger, and two come falling out, thought it was over but caught another trying to sneak out.

SharpsDressedMan
August 19, 2013, 10:39 PM
In 1991, when taking a police sniper course in London, Ohio at the Ohio Peace Officers Academy, we were being trained by Carlos Hathcock and a coupled guys from Virginia Beach PD. We had to run a given distance with gear (to get our heart rates up), drop down, set up, and fire a shot at the head/medulla of the paper target at 100 yards in 10 seconds. Luck allowed me to have the best shot of the group, punching almost exactly center of the pupil of the nearest eye of the target (our goal, as that placed it center to the medulla at the back of the head). When Carlos looked at my target, he just said, "Peachy keen! You know what that means, doncha? Damn good shot!", and laughed, shooting me a big smile. It doesn't get any better than that in my life of shooting.

jstein650
August 19, 2013, 10:50 PM
Now, that's some good stuff!

Yoda
August 20, 2013, 01:14 PM
I bought a used (obviously!) US Model 1917 rifle. The stock had been sporterized, but all the metal was original, so a friend and I re-stocked it with an orignal stock. To do that, you have to remove the front sight.

I took it to the range to shoot a few rounds and adjust the front sight. I put a target out at 75 yards, figuring I'd probably hit the paper somewhere and then I could adjust the sight from there. I fired one round, then went downrange to do a look-see.

I could not have hit the bull any squarer if I'd gone out there with a hole punch. An absolutely perfect shot. I still have the target. I haven't fired that rifle since. I guess I just don't wantto know if it was luck or talent!

(I know, 75 yards isn't really that far, but still...)

On the other hand, I also bought a Lee Enfield of about the same vintage, at at 75 yards, I wasn't hitting the paper. I also wasn't hitting anything at 50 yards. At 15 yards, I finally got something... but it was clear that the bullet was flying sideways! THAT explained a lot.

(I know, Lee Enfields are generally pretty good shooters, but THAT one sure wasn't!)

- - - Yoda

xfyrfiter
August 20, 2013, 02:09 PM
.410 single shot break over, 25 rounds ammo, jackrabbit hunting from the bed of a 59 Chevy PU over the headache rack, in an empty pasture. 24 jacks and a gray fox that had been in the chickens. Never before or since, but that night I couldn't miss.

gamestalker
August 20, 2013, 02:34 PM
With a rifle, I took an antelope at over 600 yds. Here how it went down, I spotted the goat and began making my stalk but the terrain was to open and flat to get close. I settled in and got a good solid rest and nailed him through both lungs and punched the heart. He went down like he was hit by a semi. But it doesn't end there, even though he went down and it was a clean kill shot, he got back up and ran full bore at which point the only shot I had was off hand and on the run. So I held the cross hairs on his nose and let one go and he flipped through the air. Now he was down for good, I had put the second shot through the neck.

Now how measured the distance being this was back before range finders were available. I paced off steps from my spotting scope to where I shot him through the heart / lungs which was 587 steps. And then on the run off hand was 633 steps. I measured my average step when I got home and it was between 38" and 40". This worked out to 636 yds. on my first shot, and 685 yds. on the neck shot figuring it off of 39" steps.

With a shotgun I would have to go with a duck I dropped from the hip at such incredible distance that it was so far my Son and I could hardly believe it. That shot was clearly pure luck.

But my son once made a shot on a tweety bird with his pellet rifle that was well over 150 yds. and up at the very top of mountain pine. It was barely visible with the naked eye.

GS

gc70
August 20, 2013, 02:49 PM
Pure luck, but ...

My son bought a Dan Wesson CBOB immediately after that model was introduced and I went to the range with him to try it out. He shoots very well and tore the center out of a target at 25 feet shooting three or four magazines of ammo. He pushed the target back to 50 feet and did okay, but couldn't quite pop the target dead center.

My son finally persuaded me to try his new pistol. With a pistol I had never touched before, my first offhand shot was perfectly centered in the bullseye. I'm no fool, so I handed the CBOB back to my son and told him it felt funny in my hand, but seemed to be reasonably accurate. :D

lumpylead
August 20, 2013, 09:54 PM
When I was in the service I nailed a balloon at 500 meters on the KD range in the prone unsupported position. This was done with an M4.

zorro45
August 20, 2013, 10:10 PM
I was teaching archery at scout camp, and kids asked me to shoot for them.
From about 15 yards I got an exact bull's eye. They then asked me to shoot again, and I did. Split the first arrow. (totally luck, crappy equipment, and I never shot in front of them again)

hardluk1
August 21, 2013, 10:39 AM
I don't guess I ever made a great or special shot. Missed a couple that I knew I could not miss.

Rifleman 173
August 21, 2013, 11:35 PM
Viet Nam in 1970. At Sniper School for the 4th Infantry Division at An Khe we had to do a series of 900 meter shots on steel silhouette targets to pass the course. If you failed to make the minimum number of 900 meter hits, you failed the course.

After I got through Sniper School I got assigned to a platoon and the enemy didn't know I was there. Early one night an enemy sniper showed up and started taking pot shots at our position and at the platoon to which I was assigned. The guy must have been using an old Mosin Nagant with a scope on it because his rate of fire was slow and we could actually hear him rack the bolt on the rifle. More or less he was shooting at whatever sounds and whatever motion he could detect but he wasn't hitting anything. He was, however, coming close. One of his bullets hit like 2 feet above my head as I moved into position.

The dummy was shooting without relocating. He'd shoot and stay where he was situated and shoot some more. That made my setting up of him so easy! I saw where he was firing from next to a tree, took aim at that general area and waited. When he fired again I zeroed in on his specific shooting point. The next time he fired I also instantly fired. The enemy sniper didn't do any more shooting.

Later on, several weeks later, intelligence reports would indicate that I hit the enemy sniper right in the head with my one shot. I ruined his whole day. What the intelligence guys also reported was that the 2 trainees with the sniper who was supposed to be teaching them ended up being so scared that neither one of them would move for over half an hour.

But those 900 meter shots on the steel silhouettes were really the rough ones to make because they forced a shooter to focus and concentrate everything he needed to do on making that one long range shot. When we made those shots in those days we had to concentrate on our breathing, trigger pull, becoming one with the rifle, getting the right picture in the scope, slow trigger pull and getting the wind drift right. To say going through Sniper School training was intense was putting it mildly. We were constantly thinking, studying, calculating, estimating, guessing, re-figuring things and so on. Then we'd cross check our answers with other shooter's answers to see how close we all were. And, yes, we sometimes did feel like we were pounding our heads against a wall: :banghead:

Comrade Mike
August 21, 2013, 11:57 PM
I was at a local out door range next to some gentleman who recently bought a 500 S&W for the novelty, shall we say, were shooting it a couple positions down at the 90 foot pistol range. It was the longest one smith made, 8 inches I believe? Anyway, they were having a good time not hitting much of anything but making a hell of a boom.

Well I was around 15 at the time and had been shooting for nearly 5 years. I was with my dad at the time. These two thought it would be hilarious to see me shoot it and bounce it off me head or something, so they offered to let me shoot it. I'd handled large bore handguns before so no big deal. First shot was about a half inch left of center, second shot took out the middle of the shoot'n'see touching the first one. Put it down after that, said thank you and left them speechless.

John3921
August 22, 2013, 02:24 PM
Late 80's - Bob Marshall wilderness pack trip. 200 yds sitting on a steep slope shooting into a shadowed opening in the thick lodgpole timber on an opposing slope. 5x5 bull elk between the shoulder blades and shattered his spine (as he was getting ready to mount a cow)

Couple days later my brother had missed an elk at about 75 yards. We decided that maybe he had done something to his scope. So I gave him my rifle - we were both shooting ruger M77 .300 win mags. A little ways down the trail 2 nice muley bucks take off at a dead run. Brother shoots and misses the larger buck, I drill the smaller - but still nice, buck through the liver with brothers gun. I gave him his gun back and said- 'here, nothing wrong with the scope.'

Arkansas Paul
August 22, 2013, 04:07 PM
What's the best shot you ever made?

Par 3 - 140 yds
Firm 9 iron.
Ball stopped about 3 inches from the cup. :)

Guns, I have no clue.

brickeyee
August 22, 2013, 05:09 PM
440 yards on a groundhog.

One shot kill.

Jackal
August 22, 2013, 06:04 PM
I shot a yellow jacket out of the air, mid flight at about 45ft with a Gamo pellet rifle with open sights. Only happened once, and I was lucky enough to have a witness.:D

paramedic70002
August 23, 2013, 03:43 PM
Was out with some fellow Boy Scouts and handled an actual firearm for the first time shooting skeet with a borrowed 12 gauge. Was taking a lot of flack from the more seasoned boys for never having fired a gun until I knocked 3 for 3 then suddenly they had other things to talk about. Nobody else got 3 for 3 that day.

ONLY
August 23, 2013, 09:37 PM
I taught my wife to shot 4 years ago w a marlin model 60. After 20 min she was hitting dimes out of a empty shotgun shell at 30 yards. Then she shot a empty 22 shell I hade put in the top of a straw.
My best shot was 75 yard head shot on a tree rat with a pump pellet rifle.

jstein650
August 24, 2013, 12:21 AM
Yoda (and others)...(I know, Lee Enfields are generally pretty good shooters, but THAT one sure wasn't

From what I've read, the 2 groove No 4 barrels (and mine) really prefer long bullets. My No 4 will shoot 150 spitzers like a wad of bubble gum. Easily keyhole at 75 yds! Now, feed her a 174 Hornady or the (preferred) 180 Cor-Lokt, and we're talking 1" at an honest 100 yds with peep sights!!
That's my baby!

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the best shot you ever made?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!