Taylor's .31 Remington Pocket Revolver

PDA

duelist1954
May 19, 2013, 08:13 AM
Oops...In the video I say this gun is made by Uberti, but it is actually made by Pietta. My apologies. In 1865, with the civilian market for big bore swamped with surplus Civil War handguns, Remington developed a pocket-sized .31 caliber revolver for the concealed carry market. Today Taylor's & Company in Winchester, Virginia offers a replica of this little pistol, made by Pietta in Italy. In this video I'll put it through its paces in both cap & ball mode, and with the optional cartridge conversion cylinder chambered for .32 S&W cartridges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfwSKV3UuXk

If you enjoyed reading about "Taylor's .31 Remington Pocket Revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Crawdad1
May 19, 2013, 10:17 AM
I buy exclusively from Taylor's. I just bought a 1860 Army from them and the operation of the action is so smooth but not only that it has a trigger that is so good a Marine sniper would drool all over it.:)

72coupe
May 19, 2013, 02:42 PM
Interesting video. Do you like this little gun? How would you rank it in relation to the Colt's 1862 Pocket Police.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/72coupe/FLOOD015.jpg (http://s203.photobucket.com/user/72coupe/media/FLOOD015.jpg.html)

duelist1954
May 19, 2013, 03:24 PM
I'd say I liked it better than the 1862 Colt, but not asa much as my Baby Dragoon. No concrete reason, I just really like the Baby Dragoon and I never bonded with the 1862 Police.

rodwha
May 19, 2013, 07:16 PM
My understanding is that a chamber filled to the rim and crushed by a ball is about 12 grns (3F) in the .31 Rem and 15 grns in the .31 Colt. How much capacity does the .36 Colt Pocket have? Is the cylinder the same length as the .31?

Crawdad1
May 19, 2013, 07:49 PM
rodwha, on my 62 Police the inside length of the chamber measured 1 1/16 of an inch deep. The inside length of the 49 Pocket's chamber measured only 15/16 of an inch deep.

72coupe
May 19, 2013, 08:00 PM
I use 20 grains of 777 in my Pocket Police. Recoil is sharp with a 36 cal ball.

Gaucho Gringo
May 19, 2013, 08:47 PM
Where did you get the conversion cylinder? Kirst made one for a very short time before discontinuing them due to problems. I just went to Taylor's website but they show no conversion cylinders for the Pocket Remington. I enjoy watching you videos, I especially get a laugh out of your humorous comments. I had always wanted a Pocket Remington but for the price of a steel framed one and the conversion cylinder if can be found, I will just continue to buy IJ & H&R .32 S&W breaktops which are comparable in size. Can buy 4 or 5 of them for the price of a Pocket Remy setup. I still like my 36 & 44 Remingtons with their conversion cylinders.

zimmerstutzen
May 19, 2013, 09:01 PM
I prefer the 1862 Colt Police much better. Had the remmie 31 years ago. Couldn't hit a person size target further than 50 ft.

duelist1954
May 19, 2013, 10:21 PM
The conversion cylinder in the video came from Taylor's. It was a new product at SHOT this year. They haven't gotten it on the web site yet, but they should be in stock. See my article in the new Guns of the Old West ( summer 2013 issue) I have the stock number in the article.

rodwha
May 20, 2013, 09:48 AM
treblig: Are the overall lengths the same on those cylinders?

72coupe: Is 20 grns (3F?) a full chamber?

Crawdad1
May 20, 2013, 10:11 AM
I'd have to check the overall length. I'm away from home for the week but Friday I'll measure them to make sure.

kituwa
May 20, 2013, 10:12 AM
Rowda you know you just have to have one of those little remingtons,lol. Now that you cant find any .22 shells you just have to,lol.Just think how that tiny thing would feel snuggled down in your pants pocket or slid in your boot top,,,. You could dress one up with some mother of pearl grips and fill the roll engraving with gold leaf,,it would be a real chic magnet,lol.You would be on commercials sitting in a mexican cantina saying, "i dont always carry a gun, but when i do,i prefer Dos Remington"

rodwha
May 20, 2013, 10:42 AM
kituwa: Indeed I do feel the need for one of those! But they just seem so useless. I keep telling myself it could be for those beginners, but a downloaded .36 Pocket would do well... Still, I can't stop eyeing it! :scrutiny:

faustopph
May 20, 2013, 11:10 AM
Howell Old West Conversions has had the conversion cylinder on their website for around a year or there abouts

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

faustopph
May 20, 2013, 11:15 AM
Looks to be 220.00 from Howell.Model OSRE63

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

kBob
May 20, 2013, 11:41 AM
Excellent as usual.

I was sad not to see the chrono shots and milk jugs of water though.

I was under the impression that the brass models of this gun came out in 1863, thus some people referring to these as 1863 Remingtons and confusing the .44 fans. I believe after 1865 a conversion cylinder in .32 S&W Rim-Fire was offered on the original all steel guns.

I wonder if since you have the loading lever down anyway you might use it to drive out your .32 S&W cartridges with. You may need to reduce the width of the latch at the front of the lever very slightly as mine barely contacts the sides of the chambers on a C&B brass model from Pietta.

A couple of folks that post on THR have commented that the loading lever linkage is the weak point of this design and is prone to breakage. They have recommended loading off the gun or having a replacement lever and plunger assembly pre fitted and available for range trips.

I use CCI caps as that's what I can get and Number 11s are MUCH easier to get on and do stay on. You might find the tweezers from a Swiss Army Knife useful for helping you place caps on the nipples and getting them lined up for the final push into position.

Again great work and keep them coming!

-kBob

JRH6856
May 20, 2013, 01:09 PM
The conversion cylinder in the video came from Taylor's. It was a new product at SHOT this year. They haven't gotten it on the web site yet, but they should be in stock. See my article in the new Guns of the Old West ( summer 2013 issue) I have the stock number in the article.
They are on the website now. www.taylorsfirearms.com/cartridge-conversions.html (http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/cartridge-conversions.html)

duelist1954
May 20, 2013, 04:30 PM
According to Flayderman's Guide they were made from 1865 until 1873...don't know where the 1863 designation was cooked up. Similar accuracy to the 1858 Remington designation. Just a modern fiction.

72coupe
May 20, 2013, 06:12 PM
Rodwa 20 grains by volume of 777 in 3f just leaves room for a .375 ball.

JRH6856
May 20, 2013, 06:55 PM
According to Flayderman's Guide they were made from 1865 until 1873...don't know where the 1863 designation was cooked up. Similar accuracy to the 1858 Remington designation. Just a modern fiction.
I always thought the "1858" came from the date of the Fordyce Beals patent (#21478) that the original Remington-Beals Army & Navy was based on. No? :confused:

kituwa
May 20, 2013, 07:20 PM
Rodwah,I think of them like a black powder version of a ruger single six .22. Something to pop tin cans or maybe make the squirrles nervous.Not much noise and just needs a pinch of powder. The .36 cal. guns i think of as a .38 special, pretty nice small game gun and even good for callin in coyotes. Truthfully though,the .36 is really better in a lot of ways than a .31 because you can still load them with a pinch of powder and do the same thing and for most people they will fit your hand better than a lot of those tiny .31's. I do like the remington better than the small colts just because my finger doesnt fit in the tiny finger guard on the colt. That itty bitty remington should be just as accurate as a full size gun except you have a small sight radious. I want one bad, but i know my wife would just claim it as her's but thats ok too.

rodwha
May 20, 2013, 10:07 PM
I want a Colt Pocket, but don't like all of the jamming problems I read about, which is part of the reason I like the little Remington. But I feel like, even with Triple 7 it may be nothing more than a mouse killer.

I have smallish hands and stubby fingers so I'd likely be ok with either.

I'd be ok with the .31 if I could replicate a .32 ACP. I'm afraid it wouldn't even be very effective against a dog though.

Crawdad1
May 21, 2013, 09:02 AM
Rodha, just fill in the notch on the front side of the Colt's hammer with JB Weld, works like a champ and no cap jamming problems. The 62 Police is sleek and it is the perfect frame size for the 36 caliber ball it shoots.

rodwha
May 21, 2013, 09:23 AM
And have a 4 shot pistol? If I had one and tried everything else to no avail I suppose I'd have no choice, but I'd prefer to be able to use all of the chambers. Somehow these worked well enough in the past or else Colt wouldn't have sold so many Pocket pistols.

This is one of the reasons I like the idea of Remingtons better. Just wish there was a pocket model reproduction available.

I want a Pocket Police/Navy bad enough that I'll have to figure it out. I've looked into some things, but it's not quite important yet...first is a .44 Remington and something for small game hunting!

Pulp
May 21, 2013, 09:32 AM
"I was sad not to see the chrono shots and milk jugs of water though."

Trust me, you didn't miss much! Mine would penetrate two 20 oz soda bottles, and the bullet is caught in the third. No explosions of water by any means.

IMHO, they should be pretty high on the list of "Most Useless Guns Ever Invented". But they are fun to shoot, and fun is as good a reason to have one as any reason, and better than most.

45 Dragoon
May 21, 2013, 09:50 AM
Nice vid.! ( enjoy all your vids. and the pub. you write for !)

My sons first revolver was a .31 Remy (17 yrs ago !!!!) It was his 10th birthday and we were at a friends place in the N. GA mtns. We loaded it up and I told him to go down to the dock and shoot a fish !!! Danged if he didn't !!!!! First shot !!!!!

SleazyRider
May 21, 2013, 10:08 AM
... they should be pretty high on the list of "Most Useless Guns Ever Invented". But they are fun to shoot, and fun is as good a reason to have one as any reason, and better than most.
Is anybody aware of an instance or event, historically speaking, where this pistol (Colt or Remmy) was used successfully against an adversary?

Pulp
May 21, 2013, 10:54 AM
No, but as many as were made you'd have to assume it happened a time or two. I'd be more inclined to say that the chances are higher that the presence of one stopped a fight, rather than the use of one stopped a fight.

That little .31 caliber ball doesn't have a lot of energy, but on the other hand, if someone is pointing one at me, I'm gonna take evasive action.:D I would expect most other folks feel the same way.

Getting shot back in the day was way more serious than it is now. I'm not saying it isn't serious now, but we do have better medical equipment and procedures than in the 1800's.

45 Dragoon
May 21, 2013, 11:28 AM
I know a fish you could ask that to !!!

72coupe
May 21, 2013, 12:59 PM
Back in the 60s I used a Colt's 1849 Pocket pistol to kill jackrabbits, skunks, rats & mice so I know 31 cal balls are lethal on some things.

faustopph
May 21, 2013, 01:04 PM
Just got off the phone with Taylors and the price they quoted is $210.00 for the Conversion cylinder.

Pulp ,what did you load in yours. I always use 4F like was recommended back in the day.

Rodwha, I stuff 12.5grs with a lubed wad . I would bet I can get 15grs if I tried.

I have shot mine through a 1 gallon milk jug full to the cap of water at ten paces. I know I wouldn't be to comfortable standing in front of one pointed at my body.

JRH6856
May 21, 2013, 02:49 PM
Back in the 60s I used a Colt's 1849 Pocket pistol to kill jackrabbits, skunks, rats & mice so I know 31 cal balls are lethal on some things.
I don't think they would have sold many "back in the day" if they hadn't been somewhat lethal for man-sized varmints as well. :scrutiny:

rodwha
May 21, 2013, 04:15 PM
faustopph: The ball went completely through the gallon jug?
The 4F charge you use is of Goex?
I've wondered if these little pistols can handle 4F wouldn't they be able to handle 3F Triple 7?

kituwa
May 21, 2013, 04:23 PM
I dont think the little guns have any sort of weakness as far as bowder charge goes. Its just that with BP a small bore can only do so much. In a small bore even if your cylinder was long so it held a big charge, the powder collum would be long and i imagine would blow a lot of powder out the barrel before it had a chance to ignite.And they have a short barrel on top of that.Its like those .32 cal squirrle riffles,,they just cant use very much powder.

Busyhands94
May 21, 2013, 04:23 PM
I love these little guns. :) I have always wanted one but I just keep buying pre-99's in .32 S&W though.

I load my .32 rounds with Pyrodex FFFG, a Winchester magnum primer, and a .313 roundball. Out of my breaktop Thayer Robertson and Cary they are a hoot to shoot and have a nice "bang" sound too. :) Only problem is the gun only fires when it wants to, so I'm hankerin' fer a new .32 once again.

Judging from the penetration on pine these rounds are rather impressive. :) They'll blow a hole clean through 1/2" of pine and will make the back on another board of the same thickness bulge. The 8 gophers, 2 snakes, and numerous steel plates killed with the gun didn't think it was weak either! :D

faustopph
May 21, 2013, 04:55 PM
rodwha, I have used T7 also with pretty much the same results. I only had the one jug so I have no idea on any other performance .
Mine is the steel frame model and this little bit of 4F will not produce a grenade out of your Remmie . 4F has been used and was fine in all the revolvers up until lawyers started thinking they new something about BP.
Yes Goex but will do the same when I can get some others soon.

kituwa
May 21, 2013, 04:59 PM
Someone needs to test one with that fine grain swiss null.

45 Dragoon
May 21, 2013, 05:13 PM
By the way, where can i get a trigger for a remy .31 like this? I'm going to go over my sons (that he got in the little story above) and present it to him. He's all grown up now and married (back in Dec.). He will get a kick (little kick) out of it!!
Thanks,
45 Dragoon

Pulp
May 21, 2013, 08:46 PM
Faust, I use a 0.7cc lee dipper of whatever powder I have available, right now it's loaded with FFFg 777.

Dan D
May 21, 2013, 10:49 PM
For a trigger, try here:
http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=72&cat=Pietta+1863+Remington+Pocket
Hope this helps,
Dan

Gordon
May 21, 2013, 11:11 PM
I have an immaculate 1849 Wells Fargo by Uberti with a supply of balls I'll trade for an 1862 Police or Pocket. The little .31s are all well cute and all, but a .36 with a little longer barrel and a rammer seems more usefull to me. PM me if interested, my 1949 is gorgeous and only fired 10 times,I want a smooth and reliable .36 and it can look a little used.

Pancho
May 22, 2013, 12:27 AM
Gordon, I certainly agree with you about the 62's vs. the hide-away guns but I do want a remmie.

Busyhands94
May 22, 2013, 03:19 AM
Come to think of it I really like my full sized Remington .44's and have two. I'd like to get a steel framed Remmy pocket and make a piggyback holster for em' both. ;)

45 Dragoon
May 22, 2013, 04:13 AM
Thanks Dan D

Crawdad1
May 22, 2013, 08:36 AM
Gordon, you'll need the '62 Police made by Uberti because they build the true Colt Police by using the small 'Pocket' sized frame. The Pietta built '62 Police are built on the Navy sized frame.
Rodwha, I just keep the cap off of the nipple and place an oiled piece of cloth between the hammer and uncapped nipple while being carried, but I guess there are safety concerns with that also.

Gordon
May 22, 2013, 07:59 PM
Thanks good to know!

Dan D
May 22, 2013, 11:23 PM
Dragoon, No problem, glad I could help,
Dan

Gaucho Gringo
May 23, 2013, 02:42 PM
The Colt .31 cal pocket pistol which came out in 1848 was the all the sales leader in percussion revolvers. More of them were sold than any other model or brand of percussion revolver. They probably killed or maimed their share of people. You have to remember any kind of cut, stab or gunshot wound of any size was potentially deadly. People tried to avoid getting shot if at all possible, especially gut shot. A long lingering death is not a pretty sight and extremely painful. In 1881 President James A. Garfield was shot with a .44 Webly Bulldog, a very weak round and it took him 80 days to expire. I am sure there lots of similar cases. I have a Uberti 1849 and a Uberti 1862 Pocket Police and I wouldn't want to get shot with either one.

Pulp
May 23, 2013, 03:42 PM
The founder of "The Box of Truth" made, IMHO, an excellent statement regarding handguns; "Will a handgun kill an attacking bear? Yes, but probably not in your lifetime."

That kinda goes along with my thinking about the .31 as a defensive handgun. Causing someone to die 80 days later of peritonitis is not in your best interest.

The following is called The Musings of Pulp. Whether it is fact or not is irrelevant, just my way of seeing the world. 1. Most bad guys will stop and rethink their career choice when they see a handgun pointed at them. 2. A smaller number will not stop until gunshots are fired. 3. An even smaller number will not stop until shot. 4. An even smaller number will not stop until incapacitated by a CNS shot, they are dead, or their victim is dead.

So based on my thinking, a .31 will stop the majority of most attacks, just by the badguy seeing you have it. But #4 is why I carry a 1911 instead of a .31.

rodwha
May 23, 2013, 03:56 PM
I like your musings Pulp! My thoughts as well.

EljaySL
May 23, 2013, 05:15 PM
Yeah, pretty much. More is better, but better to have a small one than none at all. Same with cameras - I own a bunch of big SLRs but some of my best kid shots were taken with my phone because I always carry it and the optics etc. are "good enough" for 80% of the shots.

mykeal
May 23, 2013, 08:22 PM
Unlike a human, bears don't watch television and don't know that when they've been shot they're supposed to fall down dead. They probably don't even know they've been shot at all. They just keep coming until their brain dies from lack of oxygen. There are a few humans who exhibit a similar characteristic. Not many, but it only takes one, and you can't tell which ones they are by looking at them.

Gordon
May 23, 2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks to you guys when I went to a fairly LGS I saw on top of the BP revolver cabinet a worn looking 1862 Police I presumed was original. It was NOT but was an older Uberti copy that had been used some and I walked away with it, a box of Hornady .36 balls and two tins of #11 caps for $125+ tax. The Uberti had been in the store 3 years, it was brought in for the gunsmith to repair, which he did, smoothing things up along the way, and never picked up! Sold as a Mechanics Lien! I like it it looks like the real deal , 5 decent sized holes on that tiny 1949 frame.

faustopph
May 23, 2013, 11:22 PM
Gordon, We are always here to help and you are most welcome.

Sounds like you found a good deal.All slicked up and ready to go shooting

BerettaGhost
July 20, 2013, 07:45 PM
From left to right

The Revolvers in the pics are my
1) Ubert 1849 Pocket .31 (my very first Uberti i polished Down)
2) Pietta New Army 1858 in Brass Frame Polished to silver recently
3) NAA Super Companion Cap and Ball .22
4) Pietta 1858 Buffalo Stainless Steel Converted to Kirst Cartridge using a Dremel file and Mothers Polish.

By the way the one inside the Holster is nothing more then a Beretta 92FS Air Pistol,and i collect tons of Air guns and Rifles as well.

i need to lightly sand some minor scratches on the
Buffalo and Polish it more

Next id like to get the Colt Walker,Pocket Remington, and the Police with a 3 inch Barrel
i have been hearing about that is suppose to be an over all length of 8.5

It what Taylors told me Last night anyways and its not listed on the Site

duelist1954
July 21, 2013, 09:29 AM
Oops

BerettaGhost
August 2, 2013, 03:11 PM
On My 1863 Pocket Remington Revolver ,
i been hearing Horror Stories of Breakage and Weak Lever.

Since i do not have a Ball Rammer i was wondering is it possible,
the Tool that comes with the NAA Super Companion .22 Cap and Ball Magnum, to seat the Bullets would work to seat these .31 Balls?

It was just a thought i have not Tried,has anyone ever done this?

Thanks

BerettaGhost
August 10, 2013, 02:21 PM
Rodha, just fill in the notch on the front side of the Colt's hammer with JB Weld, works like a champ and no cap jamming problems. The 62 Police is sleek and it is the perfect frame size for the 36 caliber ball it shoots.

That would be funny if Clint Eastwood had to Use a folding Knife in between shots for a jammed Cap lol.

Hm

So you do not have any more jams after that?
i thought heard some people say that did not help completely.

Some people as they are Cocking ,do that Flick of the wrist up ad right.

That they still had to do other Modifications like changing the nipples.

Because if what your saying works at least 85% of the time i would like to try that.

It is rare i ever get to shoot mine but i did a few days ago with my Little Remington.

But not on my Pocket Police yet.although i did Shoot some caps and, did not have any jams at this time.

But may want to try that JB weld trick if it helped you alot.

BerettaGhost
August 11, 2013, 02:04 PM
i found a valid link to the SLIX SHOT NIPPLES # 10

http://longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/product&path=88_97&product_id=267

$36.00 i think is worth it for that extra Shot so you can have all 5

i may get one for my 1862 Police and the other for my 1848 Pocket.

i hope this helps anyone in their Search for these.

duelist1954 Proves these work out very well

faustopph
August 13, 2013, 04:03 PM
Busyhands94 was working on a devise of this type. I am not sure if he has finished the design. Try looking up his thread on it.

BerettaGhost
August 13, 2013, 04:08 PM
Maybe the Improved the design as i do not have any lever breakage so far.

BerettaGhost
May 13, 2014, 04:49 PM
Can You tell me if this Slix-Shot Black Powder Nipples
Solves the Problem with Cap James on the Colt 1862 Police

or do i still need to fill in the Notch of the Hammer

Thank You

If you enjoyed reading about "Taylor's .31 Remington Pocket Revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!