anybody have plans or specs for backstop?

PDA

Double Maduro
February 3, 2003, 04:52 PM
A friend of mine wants to build a range in his backyard and wants info on what to build it of, size, thickness, etc..

This will mostly be for .22, .45 and maybe 30-06 but probably not.

Any help you can give will be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "anybody have plans or specs for backstop?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
February 3, 2003, 04:54 PM
Have you tried the NRA or the DoD?

MN_Strelok
February 3, 2003, 06:45 PM
Have a look at the NASR page: http://www.rangeinfo.org/. There are some specifics under Reference Library --> Facility Management.

Personally, I've got all the details figured out, but nowhere to build. :scrutiny:

Shalako
February 3, 2003, 07:19 PM
Would a dirt embankment work? I'm in the levee business. I'd imagine a compacted lean clay placed in 1.5' lifts to build up a 2:1 slope to a height of about 12' and a crown width of 8' would be just about perfect.

What's the foundation material like? Oh, and if you don't have a compactor, I imagine trackwalking it in would work too.

Topgun
February 3, 2003, 07:48 PM
No no no no.....meant maybe she would HAVE some plans.

;)

45R
February 3, 2003, 07:51 PM
Nice one Topgun!!! :what: :evil:

TarpleyG
February 3, 2003, 07:54 PM
This is the backstop at my stepdad's place. It is dug into and embankment about 6 feet tall with railroad ties as a retaining wall. Very effective and inexpensive. I know its hard to make out but hope it gives you some idea.

GT

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p06b3150885dbfa49c72d836e84d7ebc5/fcfb4d76.jpg

redneck
February 3, 2003, 08:02 PM
If you use railroad ties as a retaining wall, you can drill them and drive steel T posts down through to hold them all in place. I would only do that on the ends. Then in the middle I would plant a 5" or 6" (diameter)locust post flush against the wall. That way it won't wash out (if its in the side of a hill for instance) or fall over. And you don't have to worry about any nails or steel in it to cause ricochetes.

Zundfolge
February 3, 2003, 08:16 PM
TarpleyG, your stepdad's place rocks! Looks like your mom married well :)

Kingcreek
February 3, 2003, 09:58 PM
I dug 2 postholes 8ft apart and set 2 scrap utility poles with tops about 5.5 ft above ground. Stacked railroad ties on both front and back and secured them tight to each other and "sandwich" the poles between. This leaves an open space between the poles left and right and the RR walls front and back which I filled with a loader bucket of sand. nailed up a scrap plywood front. it stops .338 mag just fine, don't know about anything bigger.

ahenry
February 4, 2003, 09:51 AM
The hills made when a stock tank has been dug out make for great backstops. I use those a lot. We used to shoot at the fence post pile, but as lots of older posts have found a home there we’ve noticed a lot of nails and staples in the posts causing too many ricochets. Too bad cause that backstop was walking distance. The good shooting tank has to be driven to. Yeah I know, lazy. :uhoh:

Double Maduro
February 4, 2003, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the input, I forwarded this thread to him.

If you enjoyed reading about "anybody have plans or specs for backstop?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!