Why is bullcrap like this allowed to stay unlocked?

PDA

w4rma
March 17, 2004, 06:16 PM
example:
Kerry admits to commiting "atrocities".
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71522

While any thread critical of the Republican nominee is locked?
example:
Bush Administration Accused of Manufacturing the News(more on faked standing ovation)
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71560

Is this board for Republicans only? Are Libertarians and Democrats, more and more, not allowed to say anything negative about the Republican nominee, here?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why is bullcrap like this allowed to stay unlocked?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pax
March 17, 2004, 06:28 PM
Simple.

One thread was full of single-sentence posts saying nothing much. There was a bunch of griping and general unpleasantness. It was started by a member who is keeps doing the cut/paste/run thing instead of sticking around for reasoned discussion, which annoys the heck out of other members.

The other contained thoughtful posts, discussion, and pleasant interaction.

Frankly, the moderators here really don't give a pitcher of warm spit for whatever opinions are being expressed. We only care that the members do so in a reasonably polite manner, without nastiness.

pax

w4rma
March 17, 2004, 06:33 PM
I have a reply in the thread I started. Do folks need to keep a certain quota of replies per period of time to their own thread to keep them from getting locked? It was locked in ~2.5 hours. Is that enough time to get a good conversation going, or is it that ya'll don't want a good conversation going about things critical of the Republican nominee?

And what about this thread?

It was locked in just over an hour:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56800&highlight=general

Do you think an hour is long enough to get a decent debate started?
Also, it sure wasn't anywhere close to being as off topic as the "atrocities" thread above nor as alot of threads in L&P.

fix
March 17, 2004, 06:56 PM
Do folks need to keep a certain quota of replies per period of time to their own thread to keep them from getting locked?

Not to horn in on pax's turf here, but the reality of the situation is very simple. Not being a moderator and thus, not being saddled with the responsibility of impartiality that comes with that , let me state this as clearly as I possibly can.

You are a troll. Everyone here knows it. As of this posting there are 10,002 members here. I'm guessing that if we took a poll, 9500 or better would declare you to be a troll after reading through your cut and...er...posting history. Challenging the moderators is a good way to get kicked off here entirely, as they already have ample reason to do so.

Not that I would shed a tear over your departure...

Pax, feel free to go ahead and blow this post away. Somebody just had to say it.

jsalcedo
March 17, 2004, 06:59 PM
I have noticed threads getting locked for no particular reason other than the thread makes the moderator grumpy.

There dosn't seem to be a consensus with the moderators on what to lock and when.

I've seen atrocious OT crap linger for days and thought provoking political articles shut down in under an hour.

Sometimes threads get shut down because the moderator doesn't think the source is good enough and that the topic is raising the ire of too many members.

To help maintain the appearance of impartiality consistancy should be job one.

w4rma
March 17, 2004, 07:17 PM
fix, I'm no troll, but I'm no Republican either. I think some folks think that to be pro-gun you have to bow down to the whacko temorarily residing in the White House. And these same folks also mistakenly think that there is no way a pro-gun person could ever be a supporter of the other major party, the Democratic Party.

Note, trolls tend to expect their posts to be "blown away" by the mods. That is practically the definition of a troll.

I would not be posting this if I thought I was breaking any rules.

sm
March 17, 2004, 07:29 PM
w4rma,

Proper protocol is to PM the moderator whom closed the thread.

Just as I would prefer someone to PM me if they had a problem with me instead of starting a thread about why I did, such and such.

Don Gwinn
March 17, 2004, 07:47 PM
Is this board for Republicans only? Are Libertarians and Democrats, more and more, not allowed to say anything negative about the Republican nominee, here?
Clearly, the answer is yes. That must be why Democrats like John Ross feel so unwelcome here and spend so much time whining about the awful pro-Republican bias of the board. :rolleyes:
That would also explain why staunch libertarians like Tamara, Marko, and Oleg have been so dissatisfied--because libertarians are not welcome here.
You've figured out the conspiracy. Congratulations.

If you'd like all discussion of elections to be off-topic, as would some of the Staph, you're going about it the right way. In the meantime, complain in private, please.

w4rma
March 17, 2004, 08:43 PM
In the meantime, complain in private, please.Gotcha, any further complaints will be in private.

A suggestion for improvement: A general mailbox for complaints would make it easier to let you guys know what's going on, particularly for new folks and in times when a poster might not be sure whom (which moderator/admin) to get in touch with.

LawDog
March 17, 2004, 08:47 PM
You have a problem with the way this board is run, then you send a PM or an e-mail to Oleg Volk or to the Moderator(s) involved.

Don't pull this public spectacle nonsense again, understood?

Closed.

LawDog

George Hill
March 18, 2004, 10:09 PM
Wait a second... since when is Bush a nominee? I thought he was still the President of the United States.
:scrutiny:

Closing again....

If you enjoyed reading about "Why is bullcrap like this allowed to stay unlocked?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!