Ruger SR9c.....What's your opinion on them??

PDA

Preacher.
May 21, 2013, 01:30 AM
I'm seriously considering a Ruger SR9c for my edc gun. What is your opinion on that gun? Good bad or ugly!??

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger SR9c.....What's your opinion on them??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
allaroundhunter
May 21, 2013, 02:17 AM
I like them. The rear sight dots are slightly smaller than I'm used to, but since I black out my rear sights that isn't a bug deal. The only major problem (to me) is the magazine disconnect, but it can be removed. It is a soft shooting, accurate gun. Nothing really bad to say about it.

xxjumbojimboxx
May 21, 2013, 02:19 AM
I point more naturally, and hit better with this gun then any other handgun i have, even the full size one... Its a great little gun. Never has any trouble with hp's either. Go for it.

muggia59
May 21, 2013, 03:02 AM
Not more accurate than my cz compact, but much lighter being half poly. I just got mine and have only run 150 rounds thru it, but so far no regret. Plus its US made, except for the magazine which had made in Italy stamped on it. I do believe its a good buy.

sarduy
May 21, 2013, 03:22 AM
the gun is good, as long as you can shoot it accurate and comfortable, i carry a g19 and i can tell you, for a EDC the thinner and lighter the better.

xxjumbojimboxx
May 21, 2013, 03:40 AM
Not more accurate than my cz compact, but much lighter being half poly. I just got mine and have only run 150 rounds thru it, but so far no regret. Plus its US made, except for the magazine which had made in Italy stamped on it. I do believe its a good buy.
Saw that mag thing and had to look, whaddia know, they are made in italy.. wonder why?

mljdeckard
May 21, 2013, 03:45 AM
I have not shot the compact, but I like the full-size 9mm a LOT.

MikePaiN
May 21, 2013, 06:29 AM
I've had 3 SR9c's since they came out, currently I have one as my EDC.
I've never had issue with any one of them and I feel the SR9c is the perfect balance of size and firepower. Plus, they just shoot so damn good for me :)

bannockburn
May 21, 2013, 06:33 AM
Another big fan of the SR9c. Looked at all the compacts, like the Glock 19, S&W M&P9c, and the XD9 Sub-Compact. For best overall feel, ergonomics, design features, and sight aquisition, the SR9c was the top choice for me.

wbwanzer
May 21, 2013, 08:40 AM
I too feel like the SR9c is the perfect balance of size and weight. Decent trigger also.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m145/wbwanzer/SR9c001.jpg (http://s103.photobucket.com/user/wbwanzer/media/SR9c001.jpg.html)

Davek1977
May 21, 2013, 08:48 AM
count me among the fans...have one, love it

HOOfan_1
May 21, 2013, 08:58 AM
Saw that mag thing and had to look, whaddia know, they are made in italy.. wonder why?

Probably made by MecGar...who makes magazines for a bunch of companies, like SIG and Beretta

Shuler13
May 21, 2013, 09:06 AM
I just got one and have only gone to the range once so I'm reserving final judgement but my initial reaction is that it is a quality shooter. Went to the range with it, an M&P 9c, Caracal C and a 6906. I liked the trigger better than the two S&Ws. It shot as well as the others at 7 and 10 yards. I also liked the extended mag with grip adapter just as much as the M&P9c.

Fishbed77
May 21, 2013, 10:32 AM
Probably made by MecGar...who makes magazines for a bunch of companies, like SIG and Beretta

SR9 magazines are indeed made by Mec-Gar. They are high-quality, just like everything else about this pistol.

ku4hx
May 21, 2013, 11:28 AM
My wife loves hers. It is a great little gun: flawless functioning through about 500 rounds, very accurate and it has a nice trigger.

WoodchuckAssassin
May 21, 2013, 11:48 AM
Owned it...loved it.

The SR9c was just the right size for my hand, and was a pleasure to shoot. It comes (or at least used to come) with the full size magazine (17 shots if I recall), a regular flush-fitting magazine for CC, and even a pinky extension for the flush magazine. It was actually the 1st handgun I ever bought. Very handy, dead reliable, good trigger (better than a Glock trigger...if you don't mind me saying so), and PERFECT for anything from a home defense gun (with the larger mag.) to a CC sidearm (with the smaller mag).

Happy Hunting!

Fishbed77
May 21, 2013, 12:18 PM
better than a Glock trigger...if you don't mind me saying so

We don't mind. It is better than a Glock trigger.

Most polymer guns these days have a better trigger than a Glock (with the notable exception of the S&W Sigma/SD).

Brains
May 21, 2013, 12:51 PM
Add another positive vote, it's a great gun. Surprisingly good. I bought it because I was at the LGS window shopping and it was there and priced low enough for an impulse buy. I took it home not expecting the world, but came back from the first range visit with a smile.

It shoots absolutely great. Lined up perfectly right out of the box. Easy to be accurate.
Surprisingly good stock trigger from the first round, and gets smoother with a little range time. Or Dremel time, if you wanted to polish it up quickly I suppose. Smooth pull after a fair amount of take-up, clean easy break with decently small over-travel. Fair reset distance, doesn't feel excessively long at all.
Reliable - I've not had a single failure in 450 rounds, eats everything I've put in it.
Rated for any SAAMI spec ammo, including +P
Sized right - small enough to conceal carry, big enough to fit a man size hand
Ambi controls for you south paws ;) With the exception of the slide lock being on the left side only
Ejector and extractor are pretty stout, feel like they'll last and operate correctly for a long time

Positive wife factor as well. She likes all the safety gizmos (chamber indicator, frame mounted thumb safety, mag safety, trigger safety) but the gun is built to not get them in your way. Mag disconnect takes 30 seconds to remove if that's your thing, thumb safety is small and works well, trigger safety is ... well a trigger safety. Chamber indicator doesn't intrude into your line of sight or catch on anything.

Only slight downside is the slide lock is indeed a lock and not a release, but if you're so inclined you can make it work like one. Or you can be kinder to your gun and drop the slide by hand.

Bush Pilot
May 21, 2013, 07:45 PM
It's my favorite 9mm (have several) I don't see where you could go wrong for an all around gun.

Hunter991
May 21, 2013, 08:19 PM
Great gun. Too big for me to carry comfortably but great for the price.

MikePaiN
May 21, 2013, 09:03 PM
Now the big question.....:evil: Black or Stainless?

My most recent "c" was stainless.....but I always like the black a little more. A few weeks ago I spotted a used but unfired black "c" in the case of my LGS. After a few days of debate with myself, I picked it up, that night I promptly sold my stainless "c" to a good friend and now we are both happy as clams.... ;)

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/SR9c/P5210052.jpg

xxjumbojimboxx
May 21, 2013, 09:14 PM
glad to see all positives on this gun, Sometimes i felt stupid posting that it was awesome... apparently in not the only one who thinks so :)

BSA1
May 21, 2013, 10:11 PM
I had shoulder surgery last December and could only shoot with my weak hand for over three months. The SR9C made my weak hand shooting look really good. Plus I really like the ambi thumb safety.

M2 Carbine
May 21, 2013, 10:16 PM
I liked my first SR9C so well I bought another SR9C and a SR40C.

I have a LOT of guns and the SR9C is up there with the best of them.........after I removed the magazine disconnect that is.:)

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/SR9Claser.jpg (http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/Bell-helicopter-407/media/SR9Claser.jpg.html)

TarDevil
May 21, 2013, 10:23 PM
Carry mine constantly, more natural in my hand than anything I've ever shot. 1,530 rounds through mine, only issues were with hard, mil-spec ammo primers.

TimboKhan
May 21, 2013, 11:47 PM
I have a LOT of guns

Boy, that's the understatement of the year. Your pictures always make me jealous.

Preacher.
May 22, 2013, 12:03 AM
Wow!! Thanx for all the feedback! Makes me feel pretty good about the gun. Considering I bought it today. The blued one! I got it for $415 plus tax which I thought was a fair price on the gun!! Cant wait to get to the range! :)

MikePaiN
May 22, 2013, 08:24 AM
Cant wait to get to the range!
Get ready for your own opinion of the "c" to get even better :D

enjoy

herrwalther
May 22, 2013, 08:29 AM
Love my SR9c. Was the girlfriend's edc for awhile until she found something she liked better. Try finding one of the older models, their lower frames always seemed much better made and smoother to me than the newer models. I only have issues with it: the LCI is a little obnoxious and the slide stop is not a slide release. You have to pull back the slide on a magazine instead of just pulling down the release.

I also heard a rumor that they started building a magazine disconnect safety into them? Any truth to that?

HOOfan_1
May 22, 2013, 08:35 AM
I also heard a rumor that they started building a magazine disconnect safety into them? Any truth to that?

They have always had a Magazine disconnect safety. You can still pull the trigger and the striker will still drop...but it is impeded by the magazine disconnect safety...kind of like a firing pin block.

Luckily, it is as easy to uninstall it as it is to detail strip a glock slide.

It has been said that it is NOT recommended to pull the trigger very often with the magazine disconnect installed.

FitGunner
May 22, 2013, 09:09 AM
Great gun. 10+1, lightweight, easy to carry (except when its 100 degrees), eats everything, reliable, good trigger, and it fits my hand well. The 17-round mag from the full size is a great back up too. I carry this frequently on me and/or in the car.

My favorite part of gun is the stock sights. I pick up these sights better than on any other gun. Small rear dots and a large front dot. Plus they are adjustable. This is the gun with which I am most accurate.

I'm not a fan of the magazine disconnect (its gone now). Once removed, the striker has less friction and light primer strikes go away. The frame safety is fine but they should make version without it. The LCI is just obnoxious but I ignore it. There could be more grip texture to the gun...too much smooth surface on the grip. That is fixable.

Overall a great choice. Enjoy your new gun!

xxjumbojimboxx
May 22, 2013, 04:59 PM
Love my SR9c. Was the girlfriend's edc for awhile until she found something she liked better. Try finding one of the older models, their lower frames always seemed much better made and smoother to me than the newer models. I only have issues with it: the LCI is a little obnoxious and the slide stop is not a slide release. You have to pull back the slide on a magazine instead of just pulling down the release.

Uh, i can pull down the release just fine... takes a little breaking in is all. its real easy for me now.

TarDevil
May 22, 2013, 05:22 PM
Uh, i can pull down the release just fine... takes a little breaking in is all. its real easy for me now.
Mine has been flawless from day one.

palmettokat
May 22, 2013, 05:22 PM
I like mine and have two friends who are not big Ruger pistol fans and both bragged on it also. Would recommend it to anyone.

Brains
May 23, 2013, 03:13 PM
The slide lock is not really intended to be used as a release, but with a little "encouragement" it will work as one. The more you do it, the easier it gets too. Some folks take a Dremel to the edge of the release arm and the slide to get them perfectly parallel so the release is smooth and easy.

muggia59
May 23, 2013, 03:41 PM
Put 200 more rounds thru it this morning. I really do like this gun. Very comfortable to carry and shoot. Releasing the safety is taking a little getting used to being so far back, but its not a problem. I wonder if the full size sr9 and the sr45 are going to end up in my safe. I do wish id got the all black version, but I jumped on what I could find. Ruger is really impressing me with their quality and affordability.

redterror
May 24, 2013, 05:22 PM
I hear the trigger reset requires a full extension of the trigger, is this true?

MikePaiN
May 24, 2013, 10:00 PM
I hear the trigger reset requires a full extension of the trigger, is this true?
This is not true...You're confusing the Ruger SR9c with the Ruger LC9.

herrwalther
May 26, 2013, 12:49 PM
They have always had a Magazine disconnect safety. You can still pull the trigger and the striker will still drop...but it is impeded by the magazine disconnect safety...kind of like a firing pin block.

I'll have to test that next time I am out at the range. I probably have never noticed it since I am used to magazine disconnect not having an audible drop of the hammer/striker.

Jaymo
May 26, 2013, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't dry fire it without a magazine in the gun. There appears to be a strong probability of peening the striker, resulting in misfires.
The mag safety is shaped somewhat like a horseshoe, IIRC (been a while since I stripped my SR9)
It's easy to remove. I didn't feel much difference with or without.

It definitely does NOT require full release of the trigger to reset it. Mine has a short trigger reset.
Love my SR9. Want an SR45 and SR9C.
Wife wants an SR9C.
Guess who's going to get what they want, first?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger SR9c.....What's your opinion on them??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!