Coolest thing since sliced bread.

PDA

the count
May 21, 2013, 08:10 PM
Presenting my latest experimental ammo project, colored bullets!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44723422/red%20bullets.jpg

Don't ask how I made them because I am not saying (for various reasons).

If you enjoyed reading about "Coolest thing since sliced bread." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
floydster
May 21, 2013, 08:16 PM
Well then, you will just have to keep it to yourself.

Grumpa72
May 21, 2013, 08:23 PM
I am betting that you took your favorite nail polish and colored the jacket.

Isn't that kind of like "I have a secret but don't ask because I can't tell you"?

Reefinmike
May 21, 2013, 08:26 PM
Looks like you rolled some of your pretty lipstick on them :neener:

What's the point of posting em without details?

HighExpert
May 21, 2013, 08:30 PM
I seem to remember some other colored bullets. You could have them in any color as long as it was black. I wonder if a bad guy would laugh when he saw the pink bullets showing out of the cylinder as you pointed it at him?

the count
May 21, 2013, 08:34 PM
I seem to remember some other colored bullets. You could have them in any color as long as it was black. I wonder if a bad guy would laugh when he saw the pink bullets showing out of the cylinder as you pointed it at him?
Haha...that's part of the deception. But for guys who think pink bullets are for sissies I make them in metallic blue as well :-)

Cleftwynd
May 21, 2013, 09:12 PM
Looks like lipstick to me! Or a dogs weiner.....

steve4102
May 21, 2013, 09:15 PM
Looks like Pro-Tec Powder Jig Paint.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/300371677557?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

blkbrd666
May 21, 2013, 09:22 PM
Well isn't that cool...you can match your toes any day of the week.

the count
May 21, 2013, 09:24 PM
Looks like lipstick to me! Or a dogs weiner.....
There must be some mighty strange dogs where you live :-)

tightgroup tiger
May 21, 2013, 10:04 PM
Or a dogs weiner

You could call them Red Rockets

50 Shooter
May 21, 2013, 11:48 PM
Duracoated reloads, I guess if you have the time...

frankenstein406
May 22, 2013, 01:22 AM
powdercoated lead bullets so you don't have to worry about leading with a cheap hf kit and old stove? or wifes?

hang fire
May 22, 2013, 03:12 AM
powdercoated lead bullets so you don't have to worry about leading with a cheap hf kit and old stove? or wifes?
Toaster ovens work just fine at 400 degrees.

gamestalker
May 22, 2013, 06:21 AM
It was a magic marker I bet? And just in case someone else already guessed it as that, I haven't read the other posts yet.

About 20 yrs. ago I did that with some of my ammo during the Clinton administration. Anyway, Win. had pulled their Black Talon ammo, cause it had been attacked by the liberals as being "cop killer bullets". So in my own attempt to further voice my political opinion, I colored my handgun bullets black, as if to say, because they're now black bullets, they now have some magical ability to penetrate anything.

But cool looking bullets. I'm loading some .243 and .40 for my daughter in law in a couple of days and she would be stoked if I did that for her. My Son just bought her a nice new hunting rifle, Ruger I think, and he had it custom camouflaged in pink for her. And her XDM has also been done up pink, her bow, golf clubs, you get the idea, she likes pink everything.

Thanks for the idea. I know she is going to smile ear to ear when she see's her pink ammo!

GS

NHCraigT
May 22, 2013, 06:40 AM
My Guess is powder coating.

mdemetz
May 22, 2013, 07:50 AM
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/12/ares-color-coated-cast-bullets-from-slovakia/

jmorris
May 22, 2013, 08:22 AM
If its powder coating he did something wrong they are too flat looking.

I used powder coating in a test to see if it would work instead of lube on cast bullets and the only color HF had at the time was red, so they looked like this.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/Coating/IMG_20130310_175432_179_zps4c841f65.jpg

When ordering some of the Bayou Bullet coating from Donnie I got the copper color.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/Coating/IMG_20130419_153715_752_zps29150319.jpg

JohnM
May 22, 2013, 08:28 AM
Hmm??? :rolleyes:
So somebody colored some bullets; why?
What's wrong with plain lead gray or copper copper?

jmorris
May 22, 2013, 09:03 AM
I am not sure about the OP's motivation as his look to be JHP's.

The point of the ones I coated was to be able to shoot cast bullets with out any wax lube and all of the smoke the wax putts off firing the round.

In competition the smoke can make it where you can't even see the target. Hard to get good hits at that point.

This is the same reason people use plated bullets as well. No smoke, no leading and cheaper than FMJ/JHP.

blarby
May 22, 2013, 09:04 AM
Duracoated reloads, I guess if you have the time...

Lol.

osage48
May 22, 2013, 09:29 AM
The bullets look to be Ranier plated hp bullets.

the count
May 22, 2013, 09:47 AM
The bullets look to be Ranier plated hp bullets.
Smart guy!

UPDATE: I will tell y'all how I made it in a little while as the process is not patentable. Another week or so... its interesting to see what guys think what I have done and/or what they have come up with themselves.

KansasSasquatch
May 22, 2013, 10:43 AM
Acid bath. I work with metal for a living and one company I worked for holds many patents for different chemical processes to change the color of metals. We can make copper look black, red, green, and possibly other colors. We've made stainless look just about every color of the rainbow. And we've even made mild steel look like copper, the Russians have been doing that for a while though haven't they.

It just takes different acids, acid strengths, the right amount of time, and sometimes a small electrical charge.

Rule3
May 22, 2013, 10:58 AM
Smart guy!

UPDATE: I will tell y'all how I made it in a little while as the process is not patentable. Another week or so... its interesting to see what guys think what I have done and/or what they have come up with themselves.

I hope I can hold my breath that long:what:

the count
May 24, 2013, 01:40 PM
My secret revealed...

First of all what it did not do...

Powder coating...negative
Acid bath...negative...
Duracoat...negative

What I did was a light coat of the pictured high temp engine metallic spray paint. Pretty sure its epoxy based. Note the high temperature rating. I made sure to fully cure the paint for 24 hours plus a bath in hot air from a heat gun.

Fed without modification from my Hornady bullet feeder. Also tried in on lead bullets. Works also but does not look as nice as jacketed and tends to have some rub off when seating. The application is purely for fun, does not improve or in anyway enhance the bullet's performance. My initial tests, 10 rounds through a Glock 34 showed no problems loading/firing nor residue. Let me know if you guys come up with other methods that work.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A PURELY EXPERIMENTAL PROCESS. I DO NOT ENDORSE OR RECOMMEND ANYBODY TO DO THIS WITH THEIR GUN(S). THE PROCESS MAY OR MAY NOT CAUSE BUILD UP IN YOUR BARREL, A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS CONDITION.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44723422/20130524_132306%20copy.jpg

floydster
May 24, 2013, 02:44 PM
Sliced Bread has this post beat by a mile.

the count
May 24, 2013, 02:49 PM
Why don't you keep your opinions to yourself if you only post stuff with a totally negative attitude.

rsrocket1
May 24, 2013, 03:51 PM
count,
It may reduce the number of "meh" replies if you didn't title your thread like a crowing rooster. Colored bullets may look "cool" to folks who buy zombie killer bullets because they have a green polymer tip, but to a no-nonsense shooter, it may not float their boat.

I tip my hat to you because you aren't afraid to try something out to see if it works.

silicosys4
May 24, 2013, 04:34 PM
^^
No kidding. I thought it was a tad overhyped when I wandered in to find essentially.....
"Look, I just spraypainted bullets!"

floydster
May 24, 2013, 04:48 PM
Silico, eegzakly:)

jinxer3006
May 24, 2013, 05:06 PM

+1.

Walkalong
May 24, 2013, 05:24 PM
Everybody relax, it's just opinions, and everyone's entitled to one. Some think it's cool, some think it's boring, just like most things. It's all good.

tightgroup tiger
May 24, 2013, 05:33 PM
I think the red rocket is wilting.

floydster
May 24, 2013, 05:38 PM
Walk, I'm too old to get excited, in fact I'm going to paint some hot pink and take them to bed with me tonite--should be fun:)

beatledog7
May 24, 2013, 05:58 PM
It would be very cool to coat them with blue nylon. Homemade Nyclads!

floydster
May 24, 2013, 07:50 PM
Count, ya know some of us old timers need a little nudge once in awhile to bring us up the the new times.
Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way, it's all in fun, my apologies.
Now if you excuse me, I have some bullets to paint:)

TrickyDick
May 24, 2013, 09:38 PM
The only benefit i see to this would be to differentiate bullet grains and loads. it would allow you to easily tell the difference in your special handloads. I know i wouldn't put a 180 gr bullet intended for my mosin into my PSL, but then again, the process seems to be a bit much for that sole purpose.

Certaindeaf
May 24, 2013, 10:18 PM
I've heard of painted ladies.. now we have painted leadies. Badumbump

blueskyjaunte
May 26, 2013, 12:30 AM
I think flat black with flames would be awesome. You could call them "hot rods".

TennJed
May 26, 2013, 12:58 AM
Would the paint be toxic to the bad guy? I would hate to make home sick after I shot him

RetiredUSNChief
May 26, 2013, 01:07 AM
Kinda cool looking, actually. I don't know that I'll ever get into painted bullets, though.

I had to google the subject just to see what popped up...here's a site I found:

http://www.ares-gun.sk/?lang=english

Andrew Leigh
May 26, 2013, 01:22 AM
I think flat black with flames would be awesome. You could call them "hot rods".
Hee hee :D

On a serious note, different colour sharpies are invaluable in rifle shooting for coloring bullets. This way you can tell which bullet did what as they leave a color edging to the hole in the target, if the target is white that is. Great for ladder load development.

thump_rrr
May 26, 2013, 09:28 AM
I'd like to add some sliced turkey, sliced bacon, sliced tomato and some sliced cheese to your sliced bread.

Time to go, I'm getting hungry.

45lcshooter
May 26, 2013, 01:26 PM
Time for lunch. There's the bread. I needed to eat the whole way through reading it.

Ok idea. Bad on the hype of it.

higgite
May 26, 2013, 10:23 PM
Painted bullets I can take or leave, but... sliced bread is the coolest thing since itself. :neener:

Walkalong
May 26, 2013, 10:44 PM
I reckin' this one is done.

If you enjoyed reading about "Coolest thing since sliced bread." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!