And I (and probably most others) thought having common caliber guns was smart

PDA

the count
May 21, 2013, 08:18 PM
Wow, what a fallacy that turned out to be. 9MM, 45ACP, 22LR, those will always be available, right? Dead wrong. 17HMR? 300 WINMAG? on shelves right now, but I reload all my ammo anyway. Just goes to show you always have to act contrary to the masses (just like when trading the markets).

If you enjoyed reading about "And I (and probably most others) thought having common caliber guns was smart" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kachok
May 21, 2013, 08:25 PM
Yeah that is why I have my Swede, not a whole bunch of prepers panic buying 6.5x55, not that I use much factory ammo anyway, but I do buy Prvi for the brass. Plenty of 270 Win ammo still on the shelves, nobody chambers their ARs or tacticool guns in it so it is a safe bet :)

the count
May 21, 2013, 08:31 PM
Thank goodness there is plenty of shotgun ammo around. That is (IMHO) much more useful than any AR... Load it with birdshot and feed yourself with easy to find small critters/ducks/birds OR defend your home/trailer without killing your neighbors. Load it with buckshot and well, kill your bucks. Load it with slugs...pure devastation.

Texan Scott
May 21, 2013, 09:27 PM
The point of commonality is that your stockpile becomes more flexible. It doesn't mean you can stockpile less; in fact, it makes stockpiling whenever you can even more important.

rsrocket1
May 21, 2013, 09:39 PM
If you learned how to cast, had a stockpile of primers, lead and 8# jugs of Unique and Red Dot for shotshells (and sometimes handguns), you'd be set.

I did and I am.

I shoot 9/357/40/45 and being able to cast, I have much more flexibility.
I still go out and shoot 200-500 rounds a week and have a considerable stockpile of components to cast and load. If I feel "shot out", I'll shoot 4 rounds of skeet one week instead. With a few hundred pounds of lead waiting to be cast, I can choose what to replenish, and if I end up getting low on lead, I have a nearly endless supply of reclaimed lead shot available that I can "canibalize" into bullets.

Hondo 60
May 21, 2013, 09:41 PM
Of course having oddballs has its draw backs too.

I have NEVER found boxer primed Tokarev brass just laying around the range.

the count
May 21, 2013, 09:49 PM
Of course having oddballs has its draw backs too.

I have NEVER found boxer primed Tokarev brass just laying around the range.
Good point. In fact I have not seen any Tokarev ammo available anywhere. Guess you have to be selective which 'oddball' caliber to get.

Coop45
May 21, 2013, 09:56 PM
If I have only seen the Twinkie shortage coming!!

Kachok
May 21, 2013, 10:33 PM
270 is kind of the best of all worlds, you can still find it on the shelves during the panic and I never have to buy brass for it because I know plenty of people who give me theirs, I have a bucket full of 270 Win brass that I have not even touched yet.

the count
May 21, 2013, 10:38 PM
270 is kind of the best of all worlds, you can still find it on the shelves during the panic and I never have to buy brass for it because I know plenty of people who give me theirs, I have a bucket full of 270 Win brass that I have not even touched yet.
Don't have a 270 but i guess its not too different from the 300 WinMag. Now thats a serious round. Over 3,500 lbs of energy at the muzzle. Blows away the competition :-)

In comparison: .223 1,500 lbs. A .308 about 2,600 lbs.

Kachok
May 21, 2013, 11:40 PM
Yeah I know 300 Win Mags pretty well, I don't use one around here since it would likely vaporize one of our small Gulf Coast deer, even my 30-06 makes a real mess of them, I could make a case for a 300 on our larger (400+lbs) hogs in the swamp but truth be told I have yet to run into anything that my 6.5x55 or 270 could not put down in real short order.

A-FIXER
May 21, 2013, 11:46 PM
Could it be that those so called common cals people have what they need and now just banking extra? If so its like early bird gets worm.

higgite
May 22, 2013, 01:15 AM
Sort of like when everyone shows up early to beat the crowd. Wow, and I thought I would be the only one smart enough to be there that early. ;)

Still Shooting
May 22, 2013, 02:45 AM
If things get really rough out there, and you have bought/loaded the common caliber ammo in advance, you will have some pretty awesome barter items. -Not so much with 6.5x55 Swede (although I have one of those too, with plenty of ammo on hand)....

Cosmoline
May 22, 2013, 03:14 AM
It is unexpected and ironic. If you shoot 7.5 French, you're in luck!

gamestalker
May 22, 2013, 06:06 AM
Yep, I'm not having any trouble finding .243", .277", .284", .243", .357", .429" components. It's all the others that have been hard to locate. But fortunately for me and others who reload, we had a good supply to begin with, and haven't been as effected by this madness as those who snoozed.

GS

RealGun
May 22, 2013, 09:23 AM
You must be talking about the context of prices you like. .45 ACP is certainly available and well below the dollar+ a shot level of many other large calibers.

Beentown
May 22, 2013, 09:31 AM
.22lr, 9mm, .223, and 308win here. It has been interesting. Luckily I had some ammo saved.

Searcher4851
May 22, 2013, 10:28 AM
One of the reasons for the idea of shooting common calibers was the belief that in the event of social chaos and collapse, that the easiest calibers to scavenge from the fallen would in all likelihood be the common calibers. Not trying to turn this into a shtf thread, but that is one of the common logic points behind shooting common calibers espoused by some.

If you enjoyed reading about "And I (and probably most others) thought having common caliber guns was smart" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!