Kicker charges

PDA

Poodleshooter
February 3, 2003, 05:03 PM
Does anyone use kicker charges in their rifles or muskets? A 10gr FFFg kicker under a Pyrodex main charge for instance? If so, any noticeable change to ignition time?
While shooting up a half can of pyrodex over the weekend, I ran out and went to my backup Remington flask of FFFg. I'd forgotten how easy it is to ignite "real" blackpowder compared to Pyrodex! Using #11's I get terrible hangfires after about 15 unswabbed shots with Pyrodex, but switching to a finer granulation, and to real BP cuts the hangfires to nil.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kicker charges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BigG
February 4, 2003, 09:58 AM
Yeah, when shooting a flintlock I use a 9mm shell worth of 3F underneath the main charge of Pyrodex. It goes off almost every time that way. BP is much easier to ignite than Pyrodex. In caplocks I didn't think there was much problem. I used a .54 Hawken caplock and it went off with boring reliability with No. 11 caps. That's what got me into flint - the challenge!

In the caplock did you unscrew your cleanout in the drum and pump hot water thru the bbl when cleaning? I did that every time and the gun stayed reliable and you should see the black residue that comes out into the bucket! :uhoh:

Poodleshooter
February 4, 2003, 12:57 PM
It's an older T/C Grey Hawk (built like the New Englander series), so there is no cleanout screw, and no way to remove any portion of the breech or the drum. I can do that on my dad's Traditions, but not on my Grey Hawk. When I clean, I toss the breech in a bucket or tub, and pump hot soapy water using a tight patch. It cleans out quite well. A jet of residue squirts out through the nipple. I never use a full water cleaning at the range, as the design of the breech makes it very hard to get every last bit of water out unless I let it sit for hours. At the range, I simply dry brush the barrel. Occassionally I'll use a damp patch.
I can only get about 4 rounds through with blackpowder before the barrel is too tight to seat minies, and about 10+rds before Pyrodex starts causing hangfires. No swabbing, dry or wet for those figures. Blackpowder has never gotten to the misfire stage, and I doubt it really every does. It's very easy to get Pyrodex to hangfire in my rifle, even on dry days.

BigG
February 4, 2003, 01:32 PM
I unscrewed the nipple and the cleanout, stuck the breech into a bucket of hot soapy water and used the ramrod with brass jag and patch to pump water almost out the muzzle. There is a lot of charcoal looking stuff that comes out of the bbl. Then, I take the bbl and stick it in the oven (maybe 300F) for a few minutes. If the bbl is already hot from the water it will dry itself in a couple minutes anyway if you put it in the corner muzzle down. Then you run a patch with CLP down the bore to preserve it and it's clean as brand new.

BigG
February 4, 2003, 01:35 PM
Poodleshooter, I also meant to say that I kept an aluminum shotgun rod with me at the range with a 12 gauge brush on it. Every few shots, run the brush down the bore (this was .54). Tip the bbl down and you'll get about a teaspoon :eek: of residue from the blackpowder or pyrodex. No wonder the bores get tight after only a few shots! :eek:

foghornl
February 5, 2003, 10:43 AM
I haven't fired it yet, but I have a Lyman Trade Rifle in .50 Flintlock. Hogdgon's recommended a small charge of 4Fg (5 grains) under the main Pyrodex RS charge, and also use 4Fg in the frizzen [flash pan]

If you enjoyed reading about "Kicker charges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!